Author Topic: Harvesting keyboards / electric typewriters keycaps for IBM Model M Keyboard  (Read 3442 times)

Offline babuinix

Has topic says, what would be good Keyboards/Electric Typewriters that i could harvest with keys so i could use on my model M.

Im from Europe / Portugal so buying them gest costly cause of shipping fees.

I know model Model M2 is also buclking springs and maybe same keys, how about this ones:

or

For instance this typewritter, could i harvest those keycaps? whats the mechanism beneath?

Could get this for 10/15 bucks for example.

Thx in advance.
i5 3470//GSKILL 8GB RIPJAW X//SEAGATE 1TB//XFX 550W//MSI GTX660 TF OC 2G

Offline BlueBär

Buckling spring keycaps are fairly unique and the only other keycaps that I know of that should fit are the ones from the IBM Wheelwriter, see this topic: http://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=41516.0
However you can get some new caps from Unicomp for a low price.

Offline babuinix

Thx, theres some preety good info there.

Offline babuinix

So i managed to get this IBM typewritter for 10€ with some interesting keycaps.

Harvested some of the keycaps to use on the model m and star dye experementing eventualy.

Before:

After some changes:

Among the noticeble changes with the white enter/caps/shifts/arrows/backspace is the replacement of the G & H that are from the typewritter and are slightly bolder letters, giving it a nice nuance omage to GeekHack :D

X was also replaced cause yeah...

Will try and hunt a Model M2 for the all white Fkeys.

Now what to do with the rest of the Typewritter? what more parts should i harvest? Maybe the springs just in case i need some replacements in the future?

The key next to scroll lock that looks like and antena is the key used to change from speakers to headphones and vice-versa, the tab+/tab- regulates the volume, Esc key is used as windows key, as a gamer using the Pause/Break key  in escape makes perfect sense :D.
« Last Edit: Thu, 03 July 2014, 19:26:51 by babuinix »

Offline jacobolus

If you take apart some Wheelwriters to use the keycaps on Model Ms, would you mind sending me the "Code" keys (I’ll pay a few bucks)? Not right away, but at some point I’d like to try to make a custom layout buckling spring keyboard with split spacebars, and that seems like the perfect size/shape keycap.

(Also, it doesn’t really fit anywhere on a Model M.)

Offline luisbg

If you take apart some Wheelwriters to use the keycaps on Model Ms, would you mind sending me the "Code" keys (I’ll pay a few bucks)? Not right away, but at some point I’d like to try to make a custom layout buckling spring keyboard with split spacebars, and that seems like the perfect size/shape keycap.

(Also, it doesn’t really fit anywhere on a Model M.)

What was the 'Code' key for? I feel like I should know this.
Leopold FC660M - Brown mx switches - black case - white blank keys :: ErgoDox - Blue mx switches - classic case - black blank keys

Offline babuinix

Anyone knows if this keycaps are model M compatible?

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
The Selectric is an altogether different beast.

M2 keys will not interchange properly with standard M keys, although the stems are shaped the same.

Perhaps if you did the entire function row it would look OK.
Citizens United violates the essence of what made America a great country in its political system. Now it’s just an oligarchy, with unlimited political bribery being the essence of getting the nominations for president or to elect the president.
So now we’ve just seen a complete subversion of our political system as a payoff to major contributors, who want and expect and sometimes get favors for themselves after the election’s over.”
- Jimmy Carter 2015