Author Topic: Black PBT Keysets  (Read 3124 times)

Offline YouGotRioted

Black PBT Keysets
« on: Sun, 22 June 2014, 01:31:23 »
I'm not sure why there aren't many drops for black PBT keysets, they seem to be mainly white/bi-coloured versions.

I started a poll in case there's any interest:
https://www.massdrop.com/vote/black-pbt-keycap-sets
« Last Edit: Sun, 22 June 2014, 14:15:18 by YouGotRioted »

Offline divito

Re: Black PBT Keysets
« Reply #1 on: Sun, 22 June 2014, 03:20:38 »
Voted.
Varmilo (MX Grey) KeyCool 87 (MX Clear) Quickfire Stealth (MX Green)

Offline BlueBär

« Reply #2 on: Sun, 22 June 2014, 13:15:48 »
It's pretty simple: You can only dyesub colours that are darker than the base colour, and doubleshot PBT is hard to do, and there isn't that much demand for other printing methods since they don't last as long.

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #3 on: Sun, 22 June 2014, 15:16:20 »
http://www.ebay.com/itm/PBT-Keycap-Set-for-Cherry-MX-based-Leopold-Keyboards-Blank-Non-Printed-Navy-/271528821781?afsrc=1

Although these are for Leopold, so the space bar might not fit 90% of other keyboards.

Linked from Great Finds.
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline YouGotRioted

« Reply #4 on: Sun, 22 June 2014, 15:22:41 »
It's pretty simple: You can only dyesub colours that are darker than the base colour, and doubleshot PBT is hard to do, and there isn't that much demand for other printing methods since they don't last as long.

Is it generally accepted that there is a superior process for keycap legends? For example dye-sub vs doubleshot.

Offline Pacifist

• Report me *again* if there are gifs in my sig
  • * Elevated Elder
  • on hiatus
« Reply #5 on: Sun, 22 June 2014, 15:26:13 »

Is it generally accepted that there is a superior process for keycap legends? For example dye-sub vs doubleshot.

It varies, but generally ABS is better doubleshotted, and PBT better dyesubbed, because ABS can't be dyesubbed and PBT has warping issues when doubleshot

Offline BlueBär

« Reply #6 on: Sun, 22 June 2014, 15:37:34 »

Doubleshot is common for ABS and dyesub common for PBT, so it depends more on your preference of material.

The downside of dyseubs in comparison to doubleshots is that dyesubbed legends are not as sharp and, as I said earlier, you can only dyesub on keys that are lighter than the legend. Another downside is that colour accuracy and visibility on dyesubs might not be perfect if you're trying to make colourful legends, this goes especially for lighter colours. Normally these issues aren't too bad though, especially if you want to go with the classic black on white/beige.

The downside of doubleshots is that with each colour added you have to add another shot (which makes things far more complicated), so something like a smooth transition between two colours is not possible. There are some tripleshot caps, and I have seen a picture of quadshots, both are unusual though.

I'm not sure if you can dyesub ABS, I think the temperature needed to dyesub would make it melt or warp.

It varies, but generally ABS is better doubleshotted, and PBT better dyesubbed, because ABS can't be dyesubbed and PBT has warping issues when doubleshot

As I said I'm not sure if you can even properly dyseub ABS.

Offline eosph

« Reply #7 on: Mon, 23 June 2014, 07:14:40 »
Ah damnit I created a similar poll as well - https://www.massdrop.com/vote/ducky-pbt-key-caps

Offline YouGotRioted

« Reply #8 on: Tue, 24 June 2014, 15:19:11 »
Ah damnit I created a similar poll as well - https://www.massdrop.com/vote/ducky-pbt-key-caps

Voted. Don't know the availability of most of these sets though.

Offline YouGotRioted

« Reply #10 on: Thu, 03 July 2014, 02:30:08 »
With Ivan's PBT sets, will they ever be available in larger quantities?

Offline Oobly

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #11 on: Thu, 03 July 2014, 02:38:34 »
With Ivan's PBT sets, will they ever be available in larger quantities?

Not that I know of, they're just produced in the quantity needed for the Group Buy. But it means that there will be around 300 sets of thick black high quality Cherry profile PBT caps out in the wild and they'll sometimes appear in the classifieds. If you post in the thread, someone may be willing to sell their set to you.
Buying more keycaps,
it really hacks my wallet,
but I must have them.

Offline Txduck

« Reply #12 on: Tue, 08 July 2014, 02:29:20 »
http://mechanicalkeyboards.com/shop/index.php?l=product_detail&p=774

Thick, doubleshot PBT with a nice (Cherry-like) profile
[/b]

I can vouch for that set of caps because I have a set of them. I really like the set, they're good caps.
« Last Edit: Tue, 08 July 2014, 02:31:10 by Txduck »