Author Topic: Tenkeyless boards you would reccomend?  (Read 2117 times)

Offline wes1099

• Technology and Dog Enthusiast
Tenkeyless boards you would reccomend?
« on: Sun, 17 August 2014, 07:54:31 »
Does anyone have any favorite tenkeyless boards they would reccomend?

[Leopold FC660C]     [GON NeRD 60]    [Infinity Keyboard]    [ Model M Silver Label]
[Topre 45g Silent]     [Gateron Black]    [Cherry MX Black]     [Model Number 1390636]
                                                                                         [May 20, 1987]

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
Re: Tenkeyless boards you would reccomend?
« Reply #1 on: Sun, 17 August 2014, 07:56:28 »
Have you had a look around?

There are dozens and dozens of threads about this.

In before KUL, QFR, Phantom, Realforce, Korean Customs.

Also you should at least be more specific. Switch type, price range, key cap preference, backlighting... etc?

Offline absyrd

• CPT HYPE PADAWAN
« Reply #2 on: Sun, 17 August 2014, 08:00:39 »
Quickfire Rapid for value

KUL for Cherry MX new + quality hype

Realforce 87 for Topre

But, yeah... do a quick browse of the first few pages in this subforum and/or do a search.
My wife I a also push her button . But now she have her button push by a different men. So I buy a keyboard a mechanicale, she a reliable like a Fiat.

Offline Melvang

• Exquisite Lord of Bumfluff
  • * Maker
  • Melvang's Desktop Customs
« Reply #3 on: Sun, 17 August 2014, 08:05:23 »
With this being your first post I am guessing you either don't have a mech or you only have full sized.  For the TKL the absolute best bang for the buck is the Cooler Master QFR or Quick Fire Rapid.  Next up is the filco and the ducky.  Just gets more expensive after that.
OG Kishsaver, Razer Orbweaver clears and reds with blue LEDs, and Razer Naga Epic.   "Great minds crawl in the same sewer"  Uncle Rich

Offline wes1099

« Reply #4 on: Sun, 17 August 2014, 08:53:52 »
I'm looking for cherry switches, probably brown or blue. I currently have a cm storm quickfire tk and it's falling apart. I have been looking at the ducky shine 3 TKL, the cmstorm quickfire rapid, and the Maxkeyboard blackbird. I have a max budget of about $150. Which one of those would you guys reccomend?

[Leopold FC660C]     [GON NeRD 60]    [Infinity Keyboard]    [ Model M Silver Label]
[Topre 45g Silent]     [Gateron Black]    [Cherry MX Black]     [Model Number 1390636]
                                                                                         [May 20, 1987]

Offline wes1099

« Reply #5 on: Sun, 17 August 2014, 08:55:12 »
Oh, I forgot to say, I also need something backlit. I don't care about backlighting color, I can solder my own LEDs in.

[May 20, 1987]

Offline absyrd

• CPT HYPE PADAWAN
« Reply #6 on: Sun, 17 August 2014, 08:57:53 »
Oh... if backlighting is a must, then go with the Shine.

You could also check out the CODE from WASD.
http://www.wasdkeyboards.com/index.php/products/code-keyboard/code-87-key-mechanical-keyboard.html
It does have MX clears, though.

You live in the US? Check out mechanicalkeyboards.com stock yet?
« Last Edit: Sun, 17 August 2014, 08:59:50 by absyrd »
My wife I a also push her button . But now she have her button push by a different men. So I buy a keyboard a mechanicale, she a reliable like a Fiat.

Offline absyrd

• CPT HYPE PADAWAN
« Reply #7 on: Sun, 17 August 2014, 08:59:06 »
Oooops... double eff-up. Sorry.  :'(

Offline jameslr

« Reply #8 on: Sun, 17 August 2014, 09:43:56 »
The new CM QFR-i is backlit and is another option you can add to your list of quality TKL boards. Some don't care for the font on the stock caps. The difference between the two boards is stabilizers. Ducky uses cherry stabs, and CM uses costar stabs.
CM Novatouch | Filco MJ2 TKL w/ HID Lib | REΛLFORCE 87U 55g | CM QFR

Offline wes1099

« Reply #9 on: Sun, 17 August 2014, 10:14:53 »
Oh... if backlighting is a must, then go with the Shine.

You could also check out the CODE from WASD.
http://www.wasdkeyboards.com/index.php/products/code-keyboard/code-87-key-mechanical-keyboard.html
It does have MX clears, though.

You live in the US? Check out mechanicalkeyboards.com stock yet?
I will check that site out. I have seen their site before but I did not really look into it. I am going to order a maxkeyboard switch sampler when I get home today, when I figure out what kind of switches I like best, that will probably narrow my options a little. As of now all i have used is cherry mx reds.

[May 20, 1987]

Offline Puddsy

• nice
  • * Elated Elder
  • "Do you shovel to survive, or survive to shovel?"
« Reply #10 on: Sun, 17 August 2014, 10:19:27 »
KUL ES-87 is the best TKL that's not a kustom
QFR | MJ2 TKL | "Bulgogiboard" (Keycon 104) | ctrl.alt x GON 60% | TGR Alice | Mira SE #29 | Mira SE #34 | Revo One | z | Keycult No. 1 | First CW87 prototype | Mech27v1 | Camp C225 | Duck Orion V1 | LZ CLS sxh | Geon Frog TKL | Hiney TKL One | Geon Glare TKL

"Everything is worse, but in a barely perceptible and indefinable way" -dollartacos, after I came back from a break | "Is Linkshine our Nixon?" -NAV | "Puddsy is the Puddsy of keebs" -ns90

Offline frosty

• jukebox hero
« Reply #11 on: Sun, 17 August 2014, 10:38:09 »
uhm honestly i would recommend a filco... but you wanted backlighting. so yea go with the ducky shine 3, or cooler master quickfire rapid-i. both have cool backlighting modes.

i wouldn't recommend the maxkeyboard tester, you should get the cooler master one as it as a clear and green switch along with the main four!

Offline Eszett

• Supporting the communities Geekhack & Deskthority
« Reply #12 on: Sun, 17 August 2014, 10:39:25 »
Filco Majestouch 2 TKL is one of the few TKL keyboards, where you can buy an extra controller to customize your keymapping.

Offline Kraksx

« Reply #13 on: Sun, 17 August 2014, 10:44:01 »
I've heard great things about the Noppo Choc Mini

Poker II

Offline Rewind

• Street Fighter
  • Drive slow, homie
« Reply #14 on: Sun, 17 August 2014, 12:02:55 »
uhm honestly i would recommend a filco... but you wanted backlighting. so yea go with the ducky shine 3, or cooler master quickfire rapid-i. both have cool backlighting modes.

i wouldn't recommend the maxkeyboard tester, you should get the cooler master one as it as a clear and green switch along with the main four!
the maxkeyboard tester is blue, red, brown, black, green, clear, clicky white and tactile grey.

Offline wes1099

« Reply #15 on: Sun, 17 August 2014, 12:11:18 »

The bigger max keyboard switch tester has the red, green, blue, brown, black, clear, white, and grey switches.

[May 20, 1987]

Offline wes1099

« Reply #16 on: Sun, 17 August 2014, 12:12:10 »

the maxkeyboard tester is blue, red, brown, black, green, clear, clicky white and tactile grey.
oops, I just said the same thing...

[May 20, 1987]

Offline wes1099

« Reply #17 on: Sun, 17 August 2014, 12:14:37 »

Filco Majestouch 2 TKL is one of the few TKL keyboards, where you can buy an extra controller to customize your keymapping.
Where could I find more info on that? This may be a stupid question, but do the filch boards have the soldering points for LEDs even though they don't have LEDs in it? I know the non backlit version of the poker 2 does.

[May 20, 1987]

Offline Eszett

• Supporting the communities Geekhack & Deskthority
« Reply #18 on: Sun, 17 August 2014, 12:25:59 »
@wes1099 You can do a search for “The Pegasus Hoof”, which is the name of the controller.

http://deskthority.net/wiki/Costar_replacement_controllers

Offline jameslr

« Reply #19 on: Sun, 17 August 2014, 13:06:30 »

Where could I find more info on that? This may be a stupid question, but do the filch boards have the soldering points for LEDs even though they don't have LEDs in it? I know the non backlit version of the poker 2 does.

No, Filco keyboards don't have traces for LEDs. You can't wire individual switch LEDs to any Filco to my knowledge.

Offline Puddsy

• nice
  • * Elated Elder
  • "Do you shovel to survive, or survive to shovel?"
« Reply #20 on: Sun, 17 August 2014, 13:25:56 »
could always just do the thing with EL-wire
QFR | MJ2 TKL | "Bulgogiboard" (Keycon 104) | ctrl.alt x GON 60% | TGR Alice | Mira SE #29 | Mira SE #34 | Revo One | z | Keycult No. 1 | First CW87 prototype | Mech27v1 | Camp C225 | Duck Orion V1 | LZ CLS sxh | Geon Frog TKL | Hiney TKL One | Geon Glare TKL

"Everything is worse, but in a barely perceptible and indefinable way" -dollartacos, after I came back from a break | "Is Linkshine our Nixon?" -NAV | "Puddsy is the Puddsy of keebs" -ns90

Offline jameslr

« Reply #21 on: Sun, 17 August 2014, 15:32:32 »
could always just do the thing with EL-wire

Massive pain in the ass IMO. If you want a keyboard with LEDs there are other options. That is unless you have a hard-on for messy modifications and absolutely must have a Filco. Lately I've been less impressed with my Filco over other more available options. I've already spent too much on my Filco to justify getting rid of it though. Wish I had a KUL ES-87 w/ clears.

My Filco is now MX clear with a bpiphany controller and a custom USB (detachable) cable with a custom paint job.

Offline wes1099

« Reply #22 on: Sun, 17 August 2014, 15:52:06 »
Well I think I am going to wait until I get my switch tester then come back for any more advice when I know what switch I want.

[May 20, 1987]

Offline Den441

« Reply #23 on: Sun, 17 August 2014, 18:44:03 »
I'm trying to decide between the Code and CM backlit TKL boards. They look very similar, but the code board is more expensive. I'm wondering if the build quality of the code board justifies its higher cost or if it is just because of the green/clear switches.
Custom Wrist Rests, Artisan Keycaps, and more - http://battlestation.io

Sales Thread - https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=74835.0

Offline Novus

• Formerly the1onewolf
  • * Exquisite Elder
  • Mondai nothing~
« Reply #24 on: Sun, 17 August 2014, 20:31:01 »
HHKB TYPE S

Offline medvednic

« Reply #25 on: Mon, 18 August 2014, 01:24:11 »
CM Storm QFR Stealth, or Filco TKL - good quality, standard keycap spacing.

IBM Model M | CM Strom QFR Stealth MX Brown