Author Topic: Are there any brands/stores you boycott/refuse to buy from?  (Read 11026 times)

Offline tgujay

Re: Are there any brands/stores you boycott/refuse to buy from?
« Reply #100 on: Thu, 11 September 2014, 08:06:30 »
Barnes and Noble.

A while back, when the HP tablets were going on fire sale, after consideration, I decided I wanted to pick one up and dual boot Android on it. B&N claimed they had them for sale. I ordered. They charged my cc, and sent out shipping notices to people. Then, after some time passed, they sent emails saying they didn't have any to sell, and I had to spend time waiting for them to reverse the charge. Stupid. Don't you have a proper ****ing online inventory? ****s. And ever since then, I never went back.

Sad, because I love books, and at that time, Borders had got taken over, so B&N was it around me. Then Amazon saved me.

I got ****ed around by that stock issue too!  Small ****ing world.  Was trying to buy one for me and one for my dad.
Gotta collect them all

Offline HoffmanMyster

• HOFF, smol MAN OF MYSTERY
  • * Senior Moderator
« Reply #101 on: Thu, 11 September 2014, 08:37:31 »
I mean for ****s sake, look at the iPhone 5 charger...

Wait, what?  I love that charger.  It's about damn time someone made a connector that can be plugged in either orientation.

Offline vyshane

« Reply #102 on: Thu, 11 September 2014, 08:49:18 »
Doesn't Apple do the same thing all the time?

For that reason, and many others that are related to it, is why I don't buy Apple products.

That was a poor example. It was about time they moved away from the 30 pin connector. It was introduced with the 3rd generation iPod back in 2003. That's a run of 9 years before it got obsoleted.

Offline Findecanor

« Reply #103 on: Thu, 11 September 2014, 09:36:26 »
ffs the dude's name was adolf
Hey! Don't dis the name Adolf. Several Swedish kings were named Adolf. If you dis "Adolf", you dis my country.
🍉

Offline Computer-Lab in Basement

• The needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few.
  • * Elevated Elder
  • Live long and prosper
« Reply #104 on: Thu, 11 September 2014, 11:47:48 »
Doesn't Apple do the same thing all the time?

For that reason, and many others that are related to it, is why I don't buy Apple products.

That was a poor example. It was about time they moved away from the 30 pin connector. It was introduced with the 3rd generation iPod back in 2003. That's a run of 9 years before it got obsoleted.
Good points... didn't think of that aspect. All I know is every time someone is like "hey anyone got an iPhone charger?" and I'm like "I do if it isn't an iPhone 5."

"Dammit Apple, why you do this?" is usually their response...
tp thread is tp thread
Sometimes it's like he accidentally makes a thread instead of a google search.

IBM Model M SSK | IBM Model F XT | IBM Model F 122 | IBM Model M 122 | Ducky YOTD 2012 w/ blue switches | Poker II w/ Blue switches | Royal Kludge RK61 w/ Blue switches

Offline Krogenar

• The Kontrarian
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • "DO NOT BRING YOUR EVIL HERE." -Swamp Thing
    • Buried Planet
« Reply #105 on: Thu, 11 September 2014, 12:00:30 »
Needs to go back and read the thread but I hate Sears.

Wait. What? Why would you hate Sears? I've had nothing but good experiences with them -- especially installs of appliances. Bad experience?
Worst customer service ever when trying to give them money for things.

Worst I ever had was Best Buy -- I walked directly into the store, found the item (decided before arriving) and asked for it. It was a GPS, so, naturally, locked in a cage. I waited 20+ minutes to find the one guy in the store who could unlock the cage. He arrives entirely unhurried, and then I wait another 20 minutes to go through checkout. Nearly an hour to buy something -- good thing they didn't have to actually sell me on anything.

And don't try getting help from a salesperson in Best Buy either. You very nearly have to corner one of the blue shirts.

Best Buy Employee: "I know nothing!"
(Krogenar knocks down several reams of paper to block exit.)
Krogenar: "This will only take a minute..."
GeekHack Artwork Resources | The Living GeekHack Logo Thread | Signature Plastics ABS Chip Scanning Project | Krog Flocks Around | Keyboard Color Scheme Archive | [GB] PBT DyeSub DSA Granite Set
More
Quote from: Samuel Adams
"If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen."

Offline heedpantsnow

• * Esteemed Elder
  • Old enough to know better
« Reply #106 on: Thu, 11 September 2014, 12:07:28 »
I agree about Best Buy. Seems either their employees don't care about selling anything or they have a specific product they want to shove down your throat at all costs. Nothing in between.
I'm back.

Espresso machine overhaul: https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=78261.0

Carbon Fiber keyboard base: https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=54825

Offline heedpantsnow

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #107 on: Thu, 11 September 2014, 12:09:25 »
The reason Apple came out with non-directional connectors is because their users are too stupid to pay attention to how something goes in. But that's their mantra:  don't let the user choose anything, and charge them extra to choose for them.
I'm back.

Offline demik

• Pronounced "demique"
« Reply #108 on: Thu, 11 September 2014, 12:12:56 »
Best buy is now relevant for me. I have to pay taxes on amazon so thats no longer the go to place. Rather just buy it at best buy with a price match and have it that same day.
No, he’s not around. How that sound to ya? Jot it down.

Offline HoffmanMyster

• HOFF, smol MAN OF MYSTERY
  • * Senior Moderator
« Reply #109 on: Thu, 11 September 2014, 12:15:25 »
The reason Apple came out with non-directional connectors is because their users are too stupid to pay attention to how something goes in. But that's their mantra:  don't let the user choose anything, and charge them extra to choose for them.

Do you really mean this?  I would be ecstatic if all connectors were non-directional.  Do you really think that improving something means their user base is dumb?  What about the magnetic power connectors?  Since when did innovation become a bad thing?   :rolleyes:

If you have something against them as a company, that's fine, but I can hardly agree that this change is in any way related.

Offline dustinhxc

• * Exalted Elder
  • IV
    • Gray Designs
« Reply #110 on: Thu, 11 September 2014, 12:17:51 »
I love iPhone 5 lightning cables.

I love best buy.

Offline demik

• Pronounced "demique"
« Reply #111 on: Thu, 11 September 2014, 12:19:37 »
My only beef with the lightning connector when it came out is that it made all your docks and stuff useless... UNLESS you bought an adapter for the low price of 30 bucks!

Couldnt even be bothered to include it for people that dont **** out money.
No, he’s not around. How that sound to ya? Jot it down.

Offline dustinhxc

• * Exalted Elder
  • IV
    • Gray Designs
« Reply #112 on: Thu, 11 September 2014, 12:51:22 »
My only beef with the lightning connector when it came out is that it made all your docks and stuff useless... UNLESS you bought an adapter for the low price of 30 bucks!

Couldnt even be bothered to include it for people that dont **** out money.

Yeah that is true! Would be nice to include it.

Offline heedpantsnow

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #113 on: Thu, 11 September 2014, 12:55:43 »

Do you really mean this?  I would be ecstatic if all connectors were non-directional.  Do you really think that improving something means their user base is dumb?  What about the magnetic power connectors?  Since when did innovation become a bad thing?   :rolleyes:

If you have something against them as a company, that's fine, but I can hardly agree that this change is in any way related.

Hoffman, I have to admit I was like 20% kidding.  Going a little over the top to make a point.  Calling the users stupid was a little unfair.  Untrue for some.  I've seen enough of you to be sure that you are that part that is not stupid.

Multi-connectors would be great, IF they were the industry standard (micro USB).  But Apple, and Sony often come up with Shiny Pretty Things that buck industry standards and are overly expensive, and then refuse to open them up.  There have been a few exceptions (FW and SCSI maybe), but mostly they just want to control, control, control.

Apple tends to make design decisions that keep the user locked into a certain UI/workflow.  "You don't need to do that" my mother has been told at the Apple store.  That's why there's a huge market for utilities that get around the default Apple UI/preferences.  While they often do have good design at the same time it offers very little in the realm of flexibility for the user, which negates their design.

Some of their decisions are madness for IT people.  For example:  It's like they are saying, "You don't need to know error codes.  If it crashed, it crashed.  Get over it.  If it won't do that, you don't need to do that."  Also, for ages if you deleted an account in Mail it also deleted every email ever received or sent with that account.  When I asked a friend who is an Apple engineer (though not on that team) about it, he said "That's just what they decided.  Might as well get used to it."

I much prefer having too much choice than too little.  I don't need someone to tell me I don't need a touch screen, pen input, or to change the battery in my laptop on a transcon flight.  (BTW, I also don't like someone telling me I can't buy a large Coke or how much salt to put in my food, but that's another thread I guess).

Linux and pretty much every Windows version in recent memory has given the power user the power to do and change what they want.  Especially if you can sudo or regedit.  If not, you can google and download a batch file or script to do it for you. 
I'm back.