Author Topic: Blank Zinc Keycaps  (Read 10326 times)

Offline Hitcha

Blank Zinc Keycaps
« on: Mon, 06 October 2014, 16:45:49 »
Hello Geekhack! I'm looking for a full TKL Blank Zinc Keycap set like those pictured below. I'm having a lot of trouble trying to find them, and was wondering if anyone here might know where I could get my hands on a set of them; for the right price of course!

So far I've tried Geekeys, feng himself, and the classifieds forum with no luck. If you have any other resources I may not know about, please post them here! Thanks for looking.

79030-079032-179034-2
Full Metal Poker II - http://imgur.com/a/xK2Uv

Offline Photoelectric

• * Administrator
Re: Blank Zinc Keycaps
« Reply #1 on: Mon, 06 October 2014, 18:02:03 »
Your best bet is to have this moved into the Classifieds.
- Keyboards: LZ-GH (Jailhouse Blues)M65-a, MIRA SE, E8-V1, MOON TKL, CA66
- Keyboard Case Painting Tips -
- Join Mechanical Keyboards photography group on Flickr -

Offline Hitcha

« Reply #2 on: Mon, 06 October 2014, 19:22:54 »
Your best bet is to have this moved into the Classifieds.

Oh I already do.

Offline Hitcha

« Reply #3 on: Wed, 08 October 2014, 14:14:36 »
Bump. Anybody?

Offline divito

« Reply #4 on: Fri, 10 October 2014, 10:21:08 »
The only person who would know is feng, as you can see in one of the pictures. He sold one last set in classifieds which I missed out on; he mentioned to me at the time that he would double check inventory to see if he had a final set but never got back to me, so I assume he indeed sold the last one.

The person who beat me to the punch on the set put in them in the classifieds not long after, and I was the person who bought them.

I am still fairly new here overall, so I have no idea how many were actually produced, but I think you'll be hard pressed to find any.

:(
Varmilo (MX Grey) KeyCool 87 (MX Clear) Quickfire Stealth (MX Green)

Offline Hitcha

« Reply #5 on: Fri, 10 October 2014, 18:50:29 »
The only person who would know is feng, as you can see in one of the pictures. He sold one last set in classifieds which I missed out on; he mentioned to me at the time that he would double check inventory to see if he had a final set but never got back to me, so I assume he indeed sold the last one.

The person who beat me to the punch on the set put in them in the classifieds not long after, and I was the person who bought them.

I am still fairly new here overall, so I have no idea how many were actually produced, but I think you'll be hard pressed to find any.

:(

From what I've researched the last group buy was in 2012~, so they sure are hard to come by. If you're ever interested in selling your set let me know!

Offline nubbinator

• Dabbler Supreme
  • * Maker
  • Model M "connoisseur"
« Reply #6 on: Sat, 11 October 2014, 03:29:41 »
If they're an old set, odds are  finger acids have eaten through the clearcoat and they look pretty bad.  Unfortunately, those zinc caps tend to start looking not so great pretty quickly and don't really get a good patina like some other metals do.  It's why I try doing alloys for my backyard casting.

Offline divito

« Reply #7 on: Sat, 11 October 2014, 05:36:59 »
If they're an old set, odds are  finger acids have eaten through the clearcoat and they look pretty bad.  Unfortunately, those zinc caps tend to start looking not so great pretty quickly and don't really get a good patina like some other metals do.  It's why I try doing alloys for my backyard casting.

And just to be anecdotal to nubb's valid point, I have a 37-key blank set as well as the TKL blank set. I used the 37-key daily for close to 10 months and there has been no wear or aspects as seen in the extreme cases that have been shown with legended zinc caps. And I was never really being all that careful during my use.

From what I've researched the last group buy was in 2012~, so they sure are hard to come by. If you're ever interested in selling your set let me know!

I am currently using the set now, and really, ABS and PBT don't really come close to a full zinc experience. I definitely don't see myself getting rid of these anytime soon, but you will be first on the list if that should ever come.

Offline jackalope

• Now with 20% more soul.
« Reply #8 on: Sat, 11 October 2014, 11:51:00 »
« Last Edit: Mon, 13 October 2014, 15:07:51 by jackalope »
eh o well

Offline Hitcha

« Reply #9 on: Mon, 13 October 2014, 11:25:21 »

And just to be anecdotal to nubb's valid point, I have a 37-key blank set as well as the TKL blank set. I used the 37-key daily for close to 10 months and there has been no wear or aspects as seen in the extreme cases that have been shown with legended zinc caps. And I was never really being all that careful during my use.

I am currently using the set now, and really, ABS and PBT don't really come close to a full zinc experience. I definitely don't see myself getting rid of these anytime soon, but you will be first on the list if that should ever come.

Yeah, Zinc tends to be the best feeling keycaps I've ever felt. The way they sound when they're being typed on is excellent too. Do you have a picture of your board with the caps on?

Offline divito

« Reply #10 on: Mon, 13 October 2014, 11:44:48 »

Waiting on finding an aluminum space bar, either silver or blue to complete it.

Offline Hitcha

« Reply #11 on: Mon, 13 October 2014, 12:35:23 »
Show Image

Show Image

Waiting on finding an aluminum space bar, either silver or blue to complete it.

That looks great! Whats the profile on the Zinc keys? And what switch type are you using with them?

Offline divito

« Reply #12 on: Mon, 13 October 2014, 13:06:11 »
That looks great! Whats the profile on the Zinc keys? And what switch type are you using with them?

They're OEM, and this keyboard has clears.

My 37-key blank set and kersite modifiers from Bang Good, are on my QFS with greens (accented with Miami set).

Offline Hitcha

« Reply #13 on: Mon, 13 October 2014, 13:15:14 »

They're OEM, and this keyboard has clears.

My 37-key blank set and kersite modifiers from Bang Good, are on my QFS with greens (accented with Miami set).

Show Image

Damn I'm jealous! The Zinc keys, the Miami set. You've got it made. Man, Blank Zinc keys are so hard to come by. I hope some one is willing to sell me a set sooner rather than later.

Offline NeedAFix

• Ten Seconds until Midnight
« Reply #14 on: Thu, 16 October 2014, 15:38:10 »
Wouldn't using a heavy metal like zinc be bad for you?

I'd prefer copper keycaps, let me know if anyone ever makes some of those! haha.
The Bird of the Hermes is my name,
eating my wings to make me tame.

Offline hwood34

• underwater squad
  • * Exalted Elder
  • #1 CL stan
    • Keyboard Illuminati
« Reply #15 on: Fri, 17 October 2014, 10:16:31 »
You might want to watch out for the wear on zinc. I don't know how widespread this is but:
IV KWK Info Thread & KBK Info Thread IV (out of date)

Old GBs: Gateron Switches (2015) | CF-LX R1 (2015) | CF-LX R2 (2017) | CF-LXXX (2017) | Gen.s Gem Caps (2015)

"Under no pretext should arms and ammunition be surrendered; any attempt to disarm the workers must be frustrated, by force if necessary"

Offline Hitcha

« Reply #16 on: Fri, 17 October 2014, 18:46:31 »
You might want to watch out for the wear on zinc. I don't know how widespread this is but:
Show Image

This mostly happened with the first generation of Zinc keycaps, and was pretty much fixed with the second generation.

Offline hwood34

• underwater squad
  • * Exalted Elder
  • #1 CL stan
    • Keyboard Illuminati
« Reply #17 on: Fri, 17 October 2014, 18:47:44 »
Show Image

This mostly happened with the first generation of Zinc keycaps, and was pretty much fixed with the second generation.
Ah, what was changed?
IV KWK Info Thread & KBK Info Thread IV (out of date)

Old GBs: Gateron Switches (2015) | CF-LX R1 (2015) | CF-LX R2 (2017) | CF-LXXX (2017) | Gen.s Gem Caps (2015)

"Under no pretext should arms and ammunition be surrendered; any attempt to disarm the workers must be frustrated, by force if necessary"