Author Topic: Came across this switch tool browsing Korean forums  (Read 14817 times)

Offline peachesenregalia

Came across this switch tool browsing Korean forums
« on: Tue, 14 October 2014, 09:14:37 »

« Last Edit: Tue, 14 October 2014, 09:24:12 by peachesenregalia »
Good feeling of oneness.

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
Re: Came across this switch tool browsing Korean forums
« Reply #1 on: Tue, 14 October 2014, 09:16:43 »
I was involved in a bit of discussion on this tool in this thread with Firebolt. I still plan on trying to make these through Shapeways but I'm still starved for free time.

Offline heedpantsnow

• * Esteemed Elder
  • Old enough to know better
« Reply #2 on: Tue, 14 October 2014, 09:16:56 »
Took me a few minutes but I get it now. Wow that's really cool. Could that be 3d printed?
I'm back.

Espresso machine overhaul: https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=78261.0

Carbon Fiber keyboard base: https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=54825

Offline Photekq

• wheat flour zone
  • sorry if i was ever an ******* to you
« Reply #3 on: Tue, 14 October 2014, 09:17:41 »
Those are pretty cool. The files are available on kbdlab
https://kbdarchive.org/
github
discord: hi mum#5710

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #4 on: Tue, 14 October 2014, 09:18:36 »
Link me the files photekq?

Offline Coreda

« Reply #5 on: Tue, 14 October 2014, 09:19:43 »
So the first image is a cast for the white switch holder? Or is it just for display purposes.

Also if you remove the 's' from the https in the link the video will embed properly.

Offline peachesenregalia

« Reply #6 on: Tue, 14 October 2014, 09:28:38 »
Display purposes, I presume. Auto-translation from Korean to English is pretty much unreadable.
Good feeling of oneness.

Offline bueller

• MX baller
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • Church of the Ergo Clear
« Reply #7 on: Tue, 14 October 2014, 09:34:27 »
I was involved in a bit of discussion on this tool in this thread with Firebolt. I still plan on trying to make these through Shapeways but I'm still starved for free time.
Definitely keen on getting some, I hate using metal switch tools on loose switches.
It's a good width!  If it's half-width it's too narrow, and full-width is too wide. 

[WTT] bueller's trade thread - CLACKS WANTED

Offline CommonCurt

• One of the cool kids
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • 🍒 Beige or Bust
    • My Flickr Page
« Reply #8 on: Tue, 14 October 2014, 09:39:24 »
Sweet.  I'm very interested.
Some of Ye ole  Keyboards -->
More
OTD Koala:  62g Old MX-Blacks   |   LZ-GH V2:  MX-?62g   |   KMAC2:   62g Tactile MX-Greys   |   LZ CLS s:   62g Vintage MX-Blacks   |   X60:   62g Vintage MX-Blacks   |   GON NerD 60:  62g Old MX-Clears   |   Filco MJ2 (Beige) TKL's:  62g MX-Clears  &   62g Vintage MX-Blacks   |   IBM '91 SSK

WTB/WTS/WTT ---->
More

Offline peachesenregalia

« Reply #9 on: Tue, 14 October 2014, 09:43:45 »
Link me the files photekq?

I'm looking for them now; haven't been able to find anything.
This dude has an aluminum one.

Good feeling of oneness.

Offline Photekq

• wheat flour zone
  • sorry if i was ever an ******* to you
« Reply #10 on: Tue, 14 October 2014, 09:47:01 »
You will need an account to download the files. I'm not going to reupload them here for obvious reasons.

http://kbdlab.co.kr/index.php?mid=board_etc&search_target=nick_name&search_keyword=%EC%95%84%EC%B9%A8%EC%97%90%E2%84%A2&document_srl=101589
https://kbdarchive.org/
github
discord: hi mum#5710

Offline RabRhee

• Life is just a box of cherries.
« Reply #11 on: Wed, 15 October 2014, 11:10:30 »
I was trying to make something with this opening method to use directly on a board, but I couldn't trust my design not to mark the plate/PCB. I didn't think to make a stand-alone version with the same function. Like it. I may have to try knock one up for home use if noone gets a GB going soon.
-Life is good-          Crafting: |  KeychainsMore.   .Keychains | Crowdsource Key | Budget Keycap Board |

QFR Dvorak Greens | Neo 87 Dvorak Blues

Offline Findecanor

« Reply #12 on: Wed, 15 October 2014, 13:57:08 »
Earlier, I have made tools out of wire that opened PCB-mounted switches from below.

I quickly made a tool out of aluminium 15×15×2 U-channel, but it did not work properly.
Some important details I noticed are that the tool seen above has room for PCB-mounting pins and that the switch bottom snaps to the tool like it snaps to a plate allowing the top to be lifted off easily.
Because I made my tool out of U-channel, the switch does not snap to the tool and it is still a bit fiddly to get the top off.
🍉

Offline nubbinator

• Dabbler Supreme
  • * Maker
  • Model M "connoisseur"
« Reply #13 on: Wed, 15 October 2014, 22:16:05 »
You will need an account to download the files. I'm not going to reupload them here for obvious reasons.

http://kbdlab.co.kr/index.php?mid=board_etc&search_target=nick_name&search_keyword=%EC%95%84%EC%B9%A8%EC%97%90%E2%84%A2&document_srl=101589

I just found something else I need to see if my cousin can make.  Now to figure out how to sign up...

Offline swill

• * Elevated Elder
  • builder & enabler
    • swillkb.com
« Reply #14 on: Wed, 15 October 2014, 23:27:09 »
This is very cool. Color me interested if someone plans to prototype builds of this.

Offline cinnamonrollz

• buckle master 5000
« Reply #15 on: Sun, 19 October 2014, 12:53:36 »
Ill have to make one of those!

Offline bueller

• MX baller
  • * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #16 on: Mon, 02 February 2015, 10:57:24 »
Keen to know if anyone found a reliable source or way to get these made, really want one before I start my next build.
It's a good width!  If it's half-width it's too narrow, and full-width is too wide. 

Offline FrostyToast

• Litshoard
  • * Exquisite Elder
« Reply #17 on: Mon, 02 February 2015, 11:05:09 »
Keen to know if anyone found a reliable source or way to get these made, really want one before I start my next build.

Zeal got one from shapeways I believe.
Go toss him a PM
Quote from: elton5354
I don't need anymore keyboards

Offline JaccoW

• Fire Typer!!
  • * Elevated Elder
  • Keyboard is Lava!
« Reply #18 on: Mon, 02 February 2015, 11:19:01 »
Downloaded the files and I will probably have a few of these printed later this year.  :thumb:
|||Daily driver: Duck Orion TKL
|||My other keyboards :
More
|||The Original|Home|Work|Numpad|Play|Endgame|Keycaps
x
|Déck Legend Frost|Keycool 87 LE|Leopold FC660M|FC 210TP|Raptor K1 Gaming|Duck Orion TKL|My keycaps & sets
|Pics|Pics|Pics|Pics|Pics|Pics

|||Want to know what Keycap stores there are? Check out my Keyboard Pearltree and my (FS/FT/WTB) thread

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #19 on: Mon, 02 February 2015, 11:26:57 »
Downloaded the files and I will probably have a few of these printed later this year.  :thumb:

Where did you get the files? I could have some samples printed as soon as tonight.

Offline nubbinator

• Dabbler Supreme
  • * Maker
  • Model M "connoisseur"
« Reply #20 on: Mon, 02 February 2015, 11:28:51 »

Zeal got one from shapeways I believe.
Go toss him a PM

He reported that his didn't turn out too well and caused some issues.  I think it needs to be milled to be done properly.  I need to sign up so I can download the file and see if I can get one (or a couple) made when I get my case made.

Offline JaccoW

• Fire Typer!!
  • * Elevated Elder
  • Keyboard is Lava!
« Reply #21 on: Mon, 02 February 2015, 12:07:39 »
Where did you get the files? I could have some samples printed as soon as tonight.
If I'm not mistaken you can find them here:

It's not that intuitive if you cannot read Korean, or really intuitive at all... :P
|||Daily driver: Duck Orion TKL
|||My other keyboards :
More
|||The Original|Home|Work|Numpad|Play|Endgame|Keycaps
x
|Déck Legend Frost|Keycool 87 LE|Leopold FC660M|FC 210TP|Raptor K1 Gaming|Duck Orion TKL|My keycaps & sets
|Pics|Pics|Pics|Pics|Pics|Pics

|||Want to know what Keycap stores there are? Check out my Keyboard Pearltree and my (FS/FT/WTB) thread

Offline Zeal

• Actually the King of Green Tea Kit-Kats
  • * Vendor
    • Zeal Generation Inc.
« Reply #22 on: Mon, 02 February 2015, 12:09:41 »
Plastic one is useable, but can still be finicky. It also eventually will wear down.

Metal one will start damaging your switches after 2-3 opens.
        "Bird have wing, bird will fly. Henry had wings.  Henry now fly." -Sent

Offline Firebolt1914

• POM Overlord
« Reply #23 on: Mon, 02 February 2015, 14:40:25 »
Aw sweet, they're available online. I only saw the youtube video, and assumed that was the last of it. Didn't realize there was a whole thread on another forum.

Offline bueller

• MX baller
  • * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #24 on: Mon, 02 February 2015, 20:24:46 »
Plastic one is useable, but can still be finicky. It also eventually will wear down.

Damn, that's a shame. I wonder if I could get one 3D printed and then get a friend of mine to make a mold so they can be made from more durable material.

Offline Zeal

• Actually the King of Green Tea Kit-Kats
  • * Vendor
    • Zeal Generation Inc.
« Reply #25 on: Mon, 02 February 2015, 20:34:06 »

Damn, that's a shame. I wonder if I could get one 3D printed and then get a friend of mine to make a mold so they can be made from more durable material.

The problem with making one with a more durable material is that it'll be even harder to remove the switch bottom once the top comes off. You want some wiggle room, but not too much. It's hard to describe, but once you get one retention clip off, the other one just seems to get stuck. If you're not careful, you could easily accidentally bend the leaf inside the switch.

I wouldn't recommend using the tool on a switch for more than 5-10 openings. The plastic retention clips for the plate eventually become worn down/bent inwards and it'll no longer "clip' into a standard 2mm plate.
        "Bird have wing, bird will fly. Henry had wings.  Henry now fly." -Sent

Offline FrostyToast

• Litshoard
  • * Exquisite Elder
« Reply #26 on: Mon, 02 February 2015, 20:35:50 »

The problem with making one with a more durable material is that it'll be even harder to remove the switch bottom once the top comes off. You want some wiggle room, but not too much. It's hard to describe, but once you get one retention clip off, the other one just seems to get stuck. If you're not careful, you could easily accidentally bend the leaf inside the switch.

I wouldn't recommend using the tool on a switch for more than 5-10 openings. The plastic retention clips for the plate eventually become worn down/bent inwards and it'll no longer "clip' into a standard 2mm plate.

Have you tried this tool with Gatorades?
Quote from: elton5354
I don't need anymore keyboards

Offline bueller

• MX baller
  • * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #27 on: Mon, 02 February 2015, 20:36:59 »

Cheers man, guess I'll go back to the Beast tools that I've got. As annoying as they can be at least they work and don't damage anything.

Offline sethk_

• Grand Master Wizard Pizza
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • www.kbdhub.com
    • My webstore
« Reply #28 on: Mon, 02 February 2015, 20:46:04 »
I wanted to make one of these, but I don't have access to a 3d modeling program, but we have them at school, and we have 3d printers, so if someone has a model, I would be more than happy to print a couple.

Offline trauring

• off on a tangent
« Reply #29 on: Mon, 27 April 2015, 14:13:26 »
So I downloaded these models some time ago and converted them into something Shapeways would accept, and had them make two versions. One was made from the standard Strong & Flexible black plastic, and another from a material they call Elasto Plastic (https://www.shapeways.com/materials/elasto-plastic) which is only available to makers (i.e. the people who upload the models, not ones just buying things online). This is what they look like:

98677-0

I tried both on some Cherry MX Reds I have and they both worked. I think the Elasto Plastic one might have worked a little better as the wedges slipped into the switch a bit easier. That said, I don't know how long either will last in real usage. Looking forward to trying them out on the Gaterons I have coming with clear switch tops that need to be swapped in.

I have it up on Shapeways here:

https://www.shapeways.com/product/ZLA6MAESE/switch-opener?optionId=56097937

but if you have a 3D printer or you want to try out the Elasto Plastic, you can download the model from that page and do it yourself.

Offline CommonCurt

• One of the cool kids
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • 🍒 Beige or Bust
    • My Flickr Page
« Reply #30 on: Mon, 27 April 2015, 18:27:39 »
So I downloaded these models some time ago and converted them into something Shapeways would accept, and had them make two versions. One was made from the standard Strong & Flexible black plastic, and another from a material they call Elasto Plastic (https://www.shapeways.com/materials/elasto-plastic) which is only available to makers (i.e. the people who upload the models, not ones just buying things online). This is what they look like:

(Attachment Link)

I tried both on some Cherry MX Reds I have and they both worked. I think the Elasto Plastic one might have worked a little better as the wedges slipped into the switch a bit easier. That said, I don't know how long either will last in real usage. Looking forward to trying them out on the Gaterons I have coming with clear switch tops that need to be swapped in.

but if you have a 3D printer or you want to try out the Elasto Plastic, you can download the model from that page and do it yourself.

Thanks. I'm going to get one to try out.
More
OTD Koala:  62g Old MX-Blacks   |   LZ-GH V2:  MX-?62g   |   KMAC2:   62g Tactile MX-Greys   |   LZ CLS s:   62g Vintage MX-Blacks   |   X60:   62g Vintage MX-Blacks   |   GON NerD 60:  62g Old MX-Clears   |   Filco MJ2 (Beige) TKL's:  62g MX-Clears  &   62g Vintage MX-Blacks   |   IBM '91 SSK

WTB/WTS/WTT ---->
More

Offline CommonCurt

• One of the cool kids
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • 🍒 Beige or Bust
    • My Flickr Page
« Reply #31 on: Sat, 09 May 2015, 19:39:16 »

(Attachment Link)

Got mine today, and works good so far.

Hope they offer it in other plastics eventually. I would like to try the Elasto Plastic.
More

WTB/WTS/WTT ---->
More

Offline vehagn

« Reply #32 on: Fri, 22 May 2015, 14:56:59 »
I have some store credit with Shapeways, so I'll try to print the model in
  • White Strong & Flexible Polished
  • White Strong & Flexible
  • Elasto Plastic
  • Transparent Acrylic
  • Polished Bronze Steel
They have a pilot program for printing in aluminium which sounds promising, but it's only available for a select few :(

Offline dorkvader

• all about the "hack" in "geekhack"
« Reply #33 on: Fri, 22 May 2015, 17:48:13 »
I wonder if getting these machined from pom might be a good plan. It's what cherry make their switches out of if I recall correctly so it should have minimal wear on both pieces

Offline CommonCurt

• One of the cool kids
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • 🍒 Beige or Bust
    • My Flickr Page
« Reply #34 on: Fri, 22 May 2015, 18:44:35 »
I wonder if getting these machined from pom might be a good plan. It's what cherry make their switches out of if I recall correctly so it should have minimal wear on both pieces

That sounds like a good idea. I would love to see these made in more materials.
More

WTB/WTS/WTT ---->
More

Offline vehagn

« Reply #35 on: Tue, 26 May 2015, 07:22:11 »
If you want to order one yourself, Shapeways has a $10 off your first model if you use this link and order before June 1st, which basically means you can get it for free*. (I will get $5 store credit if you use that link, so if you use it, thank you!)

You can download the model (it's in mm) here:
CherryMX-Switch_opener_tool
(It's hosted on a RaspberryPi, so please be gentle ;) )

edit: *free as in you still need to pay for shipping.
« Last Edit: Tue, 26 May 2015, 08:25:52 by vehagn »

Offline jeff_c

« Reply #36 on: Sat, 08 August 2015, 02:03:42 »
Sorry for the necro post, but I wanted to share pictures of the 3D printed switch opener from Shapeways.

The materials I chose were Polished Metallic Plastic (gray-ish color) and Elasto Plastic (off-white).

More

« Last Edit: Sat, 08 August 2015, 02:09:52 by jeff_c »

Offline twelvebore

« Reply #37 on: Thu, 16 February 2017, 12:37:18 »
Sorry for the necro post, but I wanted to share pictures of the 3D printed switch opener from Shapeways.

Sorry to necro your necro, but how did this work out?

I'm looking to have one of these printed, the place I'm looking at does what they call Alumide, ie. Polyamide with Aluminium powder which I'm guessing is close to the metallic plastic you have maybe? They also do ABS, but that's a fair bit more expensive (three times the price) so I'd rather avoid that if possible.

Offline Leslieann

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #38 on: Tue, 08 August 2017, 03:07:30 »
I just tried running these off on my printer and the file actually has a minor error, nothing that can't be fixed or anything (though my cad programs are fighting me on it). Then I had a knot in my spool (it happens)...

Anyhow, while I could probably get these to print just fine but they are a bit fragile and not really designed for typical FDM printers (what most home users have) or even the more rare SLA (resin) and in the time since this thread, other designs made specifically for FDM printers have sprung up. For the price of a single one, shipped from Shapeways in plastic, you could just about get a whole tray printed from someone local in just two days (check 3dhubs.com). Find your part on Thingiverse and upload it at 3d hubs and it will give you various locals, their abilities and their prices.

Switch holders
https://www.thingiverse.com/search?q=mx+switch&sa=&dwh=7559896e03eac8f

Edit:I just realized these open the switch at the same time, so not quite the same.
« Last Edit: Tue, 08 August 2017, 03:10:12 by Leslieann »
Novelkeys NK65AE w/62g Zilents/39g springs
More
62g Zilents/lubed/Novelkeys 39g springs, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, pic
| Filco MJ2 L.E. Vortex Case, Jailhouse Blues, heavily customized
More
Vortex case squared up/blasted finish removed/custom feet/paint/winkey blockoff plate, HID Liberator, stainless steel universal plate, 3d printed adapters, Type C, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, foam sound dampened, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps (o-ringed), Cherry Jailhouse Blues w/lubed/clipped Cherry light springs, 40g actuation
| GMMK TKL
More
w/ Kailh Purple Pros/lubed/Novelkeys 39g springs, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, Netdot Gen10 Magnetic cable
| PF65 3d printed 65% w/LCD and hot swap
More
Box Jades, Interchangeable trim, mini lcd, QMK, underglow, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, O-rings, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, in progress link
| Magicforce 68
More
MF68 pcb, Outemu Blues, in progress
| YMDK75 Jail Housed Gateron Blues
More
J-spacers, YMDK Thick PBT, O-rings, SIP sockets
| KBT Race S L.E.
More
Ergo Clears, custom WASD caps
| Das Pro
More
Costar model with browns
| GH60
More
Cherry Blacks, custom 3d printed case
| Logitech Illumininated | IBM Model M (x2)
Definitive Omron Guide. | 3d printed Keyboard FAQ/Discussion