Author Topic: Questing for my new keyboard  (Read 1470 times)

Offline Vizir

Questing for my new keyboard
« on: Mon, 20 October 2014, 09:48:35 »
Currently I'm using a Filco Majestouch-2 TKL Otaku with Browns. For 2 years it has served me well, but now I am craving a more tactile and clicky one. I think I've settled on getting an IBM Model M or F. I have used the M in my university days but this was a while ago.

My ideal keyboard would be the F's capacitive B/S with cherry mx compatible dsa keycaps in 70% or even 60% form factor.

I'm now torn between the F and M. Here's what it all boils down to

Pros for F:
* apparently best of the clickys and feel
* could use Matt3o's cherry mod (if it works) since M and F keys are the same
Cons for F:
* harder to source
* have to find the 122 model (its closer to modern keyboards)
* soarer's mod

Pros for M:
* slightly heavier feel (i think i prefer the heavier switches)
* could use Matt3o's cherry mod
* could be cut up easier to get into a TKL form factor
* easier to source (and pre-cleaned, bolt modded etc)
Cons for M:
* not as clicky as the F
* ???

it looks as though the M is winning so far. Any thoughts?

edit:
How is this item for its price? http://www.ebay.com/itm/291267210647
Would Soarer's work on this model?
« Last Edit: Mon, 20 October 2014, 09:54:59 by Vizir »

Offline 0100010

• Not Sure
Re: Questing for my new keyboard
« Reply #1 on: Mon, 20 October 2014, 10:48:41 »
F definitely beats M as far as feel goes, but there is nothing wrong with an M.  My current daily diver is a Unicomp M - just fine in its own right but it doesn't hold a candle compared to an 87 M122 that I have (and both are a different than the 83 F that I have).

Before buying that F on ebay - I would check "The List" though.
  Quoting me causes a posting error that you need to ignore.

Offline Hypersphere

« Reply #2 on: Mon, 20 October 2014, 11:16:53 »
I was very happy for years with a full-size IBM Model M. At some point, I decided I wanted a TKL form factor, and I was lucky to find an SSK in great condition. Then I rediscovered the Model F. I found an XT for $51 on eBay. It worked with Hagstrom's converter out of the box, but I decided to refurbish it anyway. So, I sanded and repainted the barrel plate, replaced the foam layer, installed a Teensy and Soarer's converter, installed a case-mounted USB connector, cleaned the case and keycaps, and remapped the board to a hybrid ANSI/Mac/HHKB layout. To reflect the remapping, I replaced some caps with ones I had harvested from M122 boards or purchased from Unicomp. The layout still has something to be desired, but it works for me, and I much prefer typing on the XT over typing on my Model M boards.

Having said all this, I also discovered Topre switches along the way, and I have to admit that now I spend more time on my RF 87ub 55g than on any of my buckling spring keyboards.

Offline hwood34

• underwater squad
  • * Exalted Elder
  • #1 CL stan
    • Keyboard Illuminati
« Reply #3 on: Mon, 20 October 2014, 11:22:15 »
F's certainly have a sturdier, heavier feel and are a little nicer, but if you want one with a usable layout you're going to have to shell out quite a bit more than an M, but there's also nothing wrong with M's, they're both great boards
IV KWK Info Thread & KBK Info Thread IV (out of date)

Old GBs: Gateron Switches (2015) | CF-LX R1 (2015) | CF-LX R2 (2017) | CF-LXXX (2017) | Gen.s Gem Caps (2015)

"Under no pretext should arms and ammunition be surrendered; any attempt to disarm the workers must be frustrated, by force if necessary"

Offline remdell

« Reply #4 on: Mon, 20 October 2014, 11:32:17 »
I wouldn't be so invested in the mx compatible keycaps just yet.  It's not in large production and is still in the alpha phase.

Although this is obvious and that you may already know this, you should also consider that the Model F's layout isn't as true to the Filco.  Like me, you may never get use to the one unit spacebar or the small enter of the Model F's.  Most 122 key model F's have the iso enter and are much larger than the form factor you desire.  If you really want a Model F, you should consider getting the 84 key model (if you can tolerate the one unit backspace) and reprogramming the numpad to be like a tenkeyless.  However, I think you'd be golden with just the Model M SSK.  It's 60%, and you can bolt mod it for stability.  This is what I recommend if you can't get your hands on a kishsaver or unsaver.
Rukia PC | RF87U Digilog | Norbaforce MKII Palm Desert | Zenith ZKB-2R | Datadesk MAC-101

Offline Touch_It

« Reply #5 on: Mon, 20 October 2014, 12:14:19 »
my preference on keyboard feel from "worst" to best.

IBM M

IBM M2

IBM F.

Can't go wrong either way.

Visit the Typing Test and try!

Offline Vizir

« Reply #6 on: Mon, 20 October 2014, 12:51:12 »
I do plan to get a Topre (Looking at the RF 87 55g). So thats next on my list. For now I was hoping to pick up a clean F or M.

Why do you prefer the M2 over the M, Touch_It?

Offline Touch_It

« Reply #7 on: Mon, 20 October 2014, 12:58:39 »
I do plan to get a Topre (Looking at the RF 87 55g). So thats next on my list. For now I was hoping to pick up a clean F or M.

Why do you prefer the M2 over the M, Touch_It?

I will add as a disclaimer that I own a terminal M but have never used one in real world as mine isn't converted yet.

Few things.  I'm actually not sure on the travel distance of the keys but key caps are lower profile witch I happen to to like.

The second thing is that the key strokes feel different.  Maybe more crisp is the word?  Also the sound they make is different from the model M in a good way.  Slightly more pingy and less dull than a M, but not near as much as a F.

The last thing, witch surprises me is its size weight.  I normally like large and in charge keyboards but this is really small and light compared even to an M, witch I do like.

There are negatives though about the M2.  Capacitors on the controller are almost always bad and need replaced (mine aren't).  The stabilizers on the keys are plastic and break very easily.

The thing is a nightmare to take apart and put back together.  So much so that I had a hammer that didn't sit right on my tab key and it goes crazy.  I opted to disable the key and re-map it as opposed to opening the sucker back up.

With all that aside though it is pleasant to type on.

Offline terrpn

• Alpha Geezer
  • * Exquisite Elder
  • - Buy Vintage -
« Reply #8 on: Mon, 20 October 2014, 12:59:24 »
bang for the buck try to grab a decent M..........there everywhere, parts are available, unicomp is great to deal with and offer a lot of different keycaps these days

F's, AT's, etc of course do feel better to type on, but are a little harder to source and you need the converter for an F

people are selling SSK's at reasonable prices here all the time

i'm not sure i agree with M's not being as clicky. F's, AT's are probably more crisp..........., but my M's are pretty nice and clicky. grant it i took apart and cleaned, repaired, one, my SSK came refurbed, bolt modded and my 139131 is still NIB.

there is nothing like having a big honking M sitting on your desk, typing away and hear the charm that comes from it.

bach, mozart would be jealous....... :confused:
More

Luga G80-1865/MX Reds + Dolch G80-1813/MX Blues + G80-3700HQAUS + DK9008G2 Pro/MX Browns Thick PBT + DK9008G2 Pro/MX Clears Thick PBT +  QFR TKL/Ghetto Greens + Cherry G80-1800/MX Blues + IBM Model M SSK Bolt Modded + IBM Model M + IBM Model F + IBM AT F + Cherry G80-1000 (HAD)/MX Vintage Blacks + Razer BWU/MX Blues + Leading Edge DC2214/Blue Alps + Compaq MX11800/Browns + Chicony 5181/Monterey Blues + Chicony 5161/MX Black Cherry Clone + Focus 2001/White Alps + Chicony 5191/White Futabas + Olivetti ANK27-101 + Dell (Old Logo) AT101/Black Alps + NMB RT8255C+/Black Space Invaders + Unitek K260/Green Alps + Apple M0116/Orange Alps + AEK II M3501/Cream Alps + AEK M0115/Orange Alps + NEC  APC412/Blue Sliders + NEC APC410/Blue Sliders + Omnikey /White Alps + Wang/Yellow Alps (Omrons) + Laser/White SMK + Fame/Blue Aruz + AEK II M3501/Salmon Alps + Zenith ZKB-2R/Green Alps + Wang 724/Orange Alps + DK1087/Green Alps + Zenith ZKB-2/Yellow Alps + Dell Old Logo AT101/Salmon-Pink Alps + Leading Edge AK1012/White SMK's + Magitronic SK-1030/White (Linear) Futaba's + Packard Bell/White (Clicky) Futaba's + Datacomp DFK101/White  Alps + SGI AT101/Dampened White Alps + NMB AQ6RT-72511/Grey Space Invaders (Hi-Tek) + Datacomp/Blue Alps + Phillips 2812/White Space Invaders (Linear) + Dah Yang K251/Vintage MX Blues + Chicony 5161/DS Caps/Vintage MX Blue + Archie-NMB AQ659ZRT-725/Black Space Invader (Tactile) + IBM Model M 71G4644 (RD) Bolt Modded with Soarers Converter + IBM Model M Silver Label 1390131 + Cherry G80-1501/Vintage MX Clears + Focus FK8000/Linear Futabas + Gateway 2000 Anykey Programmable/Maxi-Switch + Dell GY13PVAT101/Dye Sub Caps/Salmon Alps + Chicony 5161/White Alps + AST K0B101/Slider over RD + Qtronix QX-32H + Everex/NMB RT8255CW+ Black Space Invaders-Split Erase + Tandon/NMB AQ659ZRT-101A/Beige Space Invaders + Cherry G80-11903 MNRUS/MX Blacks + Apple IIGS A9M0330/SMK Whites + WYSE PCE/MX Blacks + Chicony 5160AXT/Clicky Futaba + Cherry G80-0528/Vintage MX Blacks + Dell AT101/Linear (Modded) Black Alps+Topre 55g

Offline Vizir

« Reply #9 on: Mon, 20 October 2014, 15:02:58 »
Yes, I was aware of the capacitor issue on the M2, which is why I asked.

I think at this point I'm going to find a cheap M and clean it out and use it until I find a kishaver 62 or ssk. And of course the topre 55g next. The F might remain a long term goal in case I come across a good one.

Offline Oobly

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #10 on: Mon, 20 October 2014, 15:12:24 »
Don't forget the Model M's 2KRO matrix. It may not be an issue for you if you only type with it, but if you plan to game with it it might.
Buying more keycaps,
it really hacks my wallet,
but I must have them.

Offline Vizir

« Reply #11 on: Mon, 20 October 2014, 15:49:47 »
I keep hearing mixed things about the M's 2kro. So all M's are 2kro?

edit: so, its only the F's which have NKRO. The membranes are at best 2KRO. :(
« Last Edit: Mon, 20 October 2014, 16:21:28 by Vizir »

Offline Touch_It

« Reply #12 on: Mon, 20 October 2014, 16:51:49 »
For what its worth I game on my M2 with 2KRO.  Been playing Skyrim mostly splattered with a bit of BL2 and Dragon Age Origins.  No issues.  Can't comment on FPS because I haven't played any since I started using it, but unless you are super hardcore I don't think you would have any issues.

Offline SonOfSonOfSpock

« Reply #13 on: Tue, 21 October 2014, 00:56:13 »
Have you considered an ALPS or Matias board? You mentioned a smaller form factor being ideal. Matias makes 75% boards and they have switches that are more tactile and clicky than the browns you are used to.

Offline Vizir

« Reply #14 on: Tue, 21 October 2014, 10:07:41 »
Have you considered an ALPS or Matias board? You mentioned a smaller form factor being ideal. Matias makes 75% boards and they have switches that are more tactile and clicky than the browns you are used to.

i have. but i am not sure about alps... between matias being the only source and from what i've read having bad reviews on amazon (for unknown reasons). i was thinking of picking up a model f/m (am leaning towards f now, if i can find a decent 122), and getting a hhkb and modding it to 55g.

i might have to wait on alps/greens/blues until i'm done with these two and finally get around to making an ergodox or axiom/nexus to release and then being able to choose multiple keys based on function. i was thinking along the lines of using greens for alpha, blues for function keys (or pinky keys) and blacks/reds for shift/control/alt.

Offline Vizir

« Reply #15 on: Tue, 21 October 2014, 11:48:30 »
just bought a hhkb pro2 white blanks from hcry4 (http://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=64515.0). now to get a RF 55g from EK. i plan to mod the hhkb to 55g then give the 45/55g RF to my significant other. and if she doesn't like it, i might put it up for sale. any reason to choose black vs white? the only 2 models available are:
http://www.elitekeyboards.com/products.php?sub=topre_keyboards,rftenkeyless&pid=rf_se18t0
http://www.elitekeyboards.com/products.php?sub=topre_keyboards,rftenkeyless&pid=rf_se08t0