Author Topic: How do you press your Spacebar on Topre profile?  (Read 5889 times)

Offline Veridis

How do you press your Spacebar on Topre profile?
« on: Wed, 29 October 2014, 01:16:47 »
Hello again everyone! I've recently acquired a used Realforce 87u 45g(uniform) for work. The bottom two rows on Topre profile are really angled and it is causing pain in my right thumb.  I'm used to OEM(Filco/CM/etc) profile and on my NovaTouch with stock keycaps I don't experience this.

I did a forum search and it seems some people flipped their spacebar around. This seemed to help people who rest their wrists on the table the most. I tried flipping the spacebar but it doesn't work for me because I hit the spacebar with the side of thumb, parallel to the table and not at angle. When I type, my wrists are 1 inch off the table.

Right now I'm resorting to typing with my wrists 2 inches off the table so that my thumb is angled like the spacebar.

Is the Topre profile exposing my bad typing form, or do I just need time for my thumb to get used to the sharp edge?
Ducky Shine 3 TKL (MX Brown) | CM Rapid-i (MX Brown) | Realforce 87u 45g Uniform | CM Novatouch | Ducky Zero TKL (MX Brown) | Das Keyboard III (MX Blue)

Offline spiceBar

• ChessTiger.com
Re: How do you press your Spacebar on Topre profile?
« Reply #1 on: Wed, 29 October 2014, 02:22:22 »
Hello again everyone! I've recently acquired a used Realforce 87u 45g(uniform) for work. The bottom two rows on Topre profile are really angled and it is causing pain in my right thumb.  I'm used to OEM(Filco/CM/etc) profile and on my NovaTouch with stock keycaps I don't experience this.

I did a forum search and it seems some people flipped their spacebar around. This seemed to help people who rest their wrists on the table the most. I tried flipping the spacebar but it doesn't work for me because I hit the spacebar with the side of thumb, parallel to the table and not at angle. When I type, my wrists are 1 inch off the table.

Right now I'm resorting to typing with my wrists 2 inches off the table so that my thumb is angled like the spacebar.

Is the Topre profile exposing my bad typing form, or do I just need time for my thumb to get used to the sharp edge?

I think you should flip the spacebar and give yourself more time.

I hit the space bar as you do, but a little bit lower, so when the space bar is flipped the tip of my thumb hits it on the flat portion. It's very comfortable.

A flipped space bar is aesthetically very ugly, and at first I did not want to keep it that way. But it's so comfortable that it's worth it.

Give yourself more time and I believe you can adapt to a flipped space bar. This will solve the problem of hitting the space bar on the angle, which is indeed painful after a while.

Something else you can do (and I did it) is to remove the spring located under the space bar. It will be easier to press (it will have the same "weight" as the other keys).

Offline mikekey

« Reply #2 on: Wed, 29 October 2014, 03:03:34 »
You should use proper form and raise wrists.

Offline esoomenona

• Gnillort?
« Reply #3 on: Wed, 29 October 2014, 09:58:18 »
« Last Edit: Wed, 02 September 2015, 12:20:40 by esoomenona »

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #4 on: Wed, 29 October 2014, 10:01:28 »
It's too sharp. Like knives. Throw the Topre in the trash. It's garbage. Knife garbage. How can they charge so much for knives to cut your thumbs? Ridiculous.

It's not as bad as SP DCS though, IS IT? :eek:

When I had a realforce I flipped the spacebar and liked it much better.

Offline JinDesu

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #5 on: Wed, 29 October 2014, 10:03:29 »
I've flipped my spacebar on my RF101 and now my thumb rests on it very naturally.
Someday somebody will best me, but it won't be today, and it won't be you.

Proud owner of a Filco Majestouch Cherry MX Blue Tenkeyless, KBT Race S, & Realforce 101

Offline esoomenona

• Gnillort?
« Reply #6 on: Wed, 29 October 2014, 10:03:43 »
« Last Edit: Wed, 02 September 2015, 12:19:57 by esoomenona »

Offline Veridis

« Reply #7 on: Wed, 29 October 2014, 10:13:32 »
I'll try most of the suggestions over the week.  :thumb:
Ducky Shine 3 TKL (MX Brown) | CM Rapid-i (MX Brown) | Realforce 87u 45g Uniform | CM Novatouch | Ducky Zero TKL (MX Brown) | Das Keyboard III (MX Blue)

Offline spiceBar

• ChessTiger.com
« Reply #8 on: Wed, 29 October 2014, 11:18:39 »
It's worse, Ray. A lot worse. SP caps are just plastic. They hurt, sure. But Topre is knives. They cut you. Flipping them is like playing with fire. They could still cut you. The trash is where they belong. But in a metal container. Because they will cut your plastic trashbags.

Maybe you should slow down on weed, booze, or whatever you call it. :)

Offline hwood34

• underwater squad
  • * Exalted Elder
  • #1 CL stan
    • Keyboard Illuminati
« Reply #9 on: Wed, 29 October 2014, 11:20:19 »
Spacebar inversion is inevitable
IV KWK Info Thread & KBK Info Thread IV (out of date)

Old GBs: Gateron Switches (2015) | CF-LX R1 (2015) | CF-LX R2 (2017) | CF-LXXX (2017) | Gen.s Gem Caps (2015)

"Under no pretext should arms and ammunition be surrendered; any attempt to disarm the workers must be frustrated, by force if necessary"

Offline pbtforever

« Reply #10 on: Wed, 29 October 2014, 11:31:31 »
I don't get the reversed spacebar thing.  With proper typing technique it should be fine.

Offline spiceBar

• ChessTiger.com
« Reply #11 on: Wed, 29 October 2014, 11:34:23 »
I don't get the reversed spacebar thing.  With proper typing technique it should be fine.

Proper typing technique or not, it's more comfortable to some people. Maybe it depends on anatomical factors.

Have you tried it? Was it LESS comfortable?

Offline cookie

• Deskthority
« Reply #12 on: Wed, 29 October 2014, 11:40:10 »

^this

if your posture is that bad that you want to flip the spacebar, a wrist rest could help!
But please, for christ sake... don't flip the spacebar!

Or do it like me and be stronger than the spacebar!

Offline esoomenona

• Gnillort?
« Reply #13 on: Wed, 29 October 2014, 11:41:09 »
« Last Edit: Wed, 02 September 2015, 12:17:29 by esoomenona »

Offline spiceBar

• ChessTiger.com
« Reply #14 on: Wed, 29 October 2014, 11:49:36 »

^this

if your posture is that bad that you want to flip the spacebar, a wrist rest could help!
But please, for christ sake... don't flip the spacebar!

Or do it like me and be stronger than the spacebar!
Show Image

Typical answer. Someone asks for help, and he is told he is the problem.

Offline cookie

• Deskthority
« Reply #15 on: Wed, 29 October 2014, 12:05:07 »
I believe that the profile is fine as it is, I usually raise my hands when I type longer messages.
When I play games I tend to rest the wrist on my table, then I notice the edge clearly but with a wrist rest it's a lot better.

Can you explain me how I said that he is the problem?
I offered 2 legit solutions to his problem and strongly recommendet to not flip the spacebar because it looks utterly stupid.

Offline TacticalCoder

« Reply #16 on: Wed, 29 October 2014, 12:51:50 »
EDIT: didn't read correctly the question, removed my post
« Last Edit: Wed, 29 October 2014, 14:21:14 by TacticalCoder »
HHKB Pro JP (daily driver) -- HHKB Pro 2 -- Industrial IBM Model M 1395240-- NIB Cherry MX 5000 - IBM Model M 1391412 (Swiss QWERTZ) -- IBM Model M 1391403 (German QWERTZ) * 2 -- IBM Model M Ambra -- Black IBM Model M M13 -- IBM Model M 1391401 -- IBM Model M 139? ? ? *2 -- Dell AT102W -- Ergo (split) SmartBoard (white ALPS apparently)

Offline spiceBar

• ChessTiger.com
« Reply #17 on: Wed, 29 October 2014, 13:20:15 »
I believe that the profile is fine as it is, I usually raise my hands when I type longer messages.
When I play games I tend to rest the wrist on my table, then I notice the edge clearly but with a wrist rest it's a lot better.

Can you explain me how I said that he is the problem?
I offered 2 legit solutions to his problem and strongly recommendet to not flip the spacebar because it looks utterly stupid.

It does look stupid but for some people it works so well that they don't mind the look.

So many advanced keyboard users do it, you should tell them all that they are doing it wrong.

Offline cookie

• Deskthority
« Reply #18 on: Wed, 29 October 2014, 13:37:07 »
Ohh don't worry, I tell them on any occasion I have. At least I am polite while doing so.

Offline Hyde

• White Tofu Extraordinaire
« Reply #19 on: Wed, 29 October 2014, 13:39:31 »
I'd try flip the spacebar + take out the spring under.  Personally I like Topre spacebar without the spring.

Archiss ProgresTouch Retro - Gateron Yellow  |  Topre Realforce 104UW - 45g Silent  |  Topre Type Heaven  |  Beige Filco Ninja 104 - MX Red  |  Das Keyboard - MX Brown  |  Poker II - MX Red  |  Race II - MX Brown  |  Matias Quiet Pro - Matias Dampened ALPS  |  Logitech K840 - Romer G  |  Cherry MX Board 2.0 - MX Red  |  Cherry G84-4100 - ML  |  IBM Model M
Roccat Kone Pure  |  Logitech G203  |  Logitech G303  |  Logitech G302  |  Razer Naga  |  CM Storm Xornet  |  Razer Goliathus Mobile Stealth  |  Razer Goliathus Control  |  Artisan Hien  |  Artisan Hayate  |  Artisan Shiden

Offline esoomenona

• Gnillort?
« Reply #20 on: Wed, 29 October 2014, 13:42:32 »
« Last Edit: Tue, 01 September 2015, 09:41:20 by esoomenona »

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #21 on: Wed, 29 October 2014, 16:55:07 »
I just use the side of my right thumb (almost exclusively right thumb) next to the nail, pressing about 3/4 to the right of the space bar.

Space bar not inverted, that is just too weird.  I did try, it's just too weird.
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline crankydillo

« Reply #22 on: Thu, 06 November 2014, 19:58:42 »
I'd try flip the spacebar + take out the spring under.  Personally I like Topre spacebar without the spring.

I can second taking out the spring.  I didn't like the feel or look of a reversed spacebar.  Regular alignment, minus spring = happy typist.

Offline Veridis

« Reply #23 on: Thu, 06 November 2014, 21:20:46 »
I just use the side of my right thumb (almost exclusively right thumb) next to the nail, pressing about 3/4 to the right of the space bar.

Space bar not inverted, that is just too weird.  I did try, it's just too weird.
I am currently using this method as well after one week. It sort of happened naturally. Previously I was using the side of the thumb near the knuckle, with my thumb straightened. Now my thumb is bent a little to match the curve of the spacebar.

I did try the flipped spacebar again but it was more unnatural to me.
« Last Edit: Thu, 06 November 2014, 21:30:12 by Veridis »

Offline demik

• Pronounced "demique"
« Reply #24 on: Thu, 06 November 2014, 21:28:50 »
down, i press it down
No, he’s not around. How that sound to ya? Jot it down.

Offline Oobly

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #25 on: Fri, 07 November 2014, 01:58:40 »
Raise your wrists and type properly. You'll be thankful in the long term when you don't develop wrist problems from the tendons grinding through bent wrists.

Or switch to MX and get SA profile caps. The spacebar doesn't have sharp angles, feels awesome.
Buying more keycaps,
it really hacks my wallet,
but I must have them.

Offline mauri

« Reply #26 on: Fri, 07 November 2014, 11:40:07 »
I dont mind the sharp~ish corner, I tend to rub my thumb to it. Doesn't hurt. The angle isn't steep at all. I rest my palm on the left corner of the board, pinkie between number row and esc,  ring and middle finger between number and f-row. Thumb rests on top of alt.

If I were to invert spacebar I'd be holding it down all the time by accident.
I AM BABAR KING OF THE ELEPHANTS

Offline Gunni

« Reply #27 on: Fri, 07 November 2014, 17:10:24 »
I was actually just thinking this with my new HHKB. I alway tend to be hitting the edge of the spacebar with my left thumb (I only press space with my left thumb). Is there a wrist rest that fits the HHKB? I'm not too keen on flipping the spacebar.
Raise your wrists and type properly. You'll be thankful in the long term when you don't develop wrist problems from the tendons grinding through bent wrists.
I don't want wrist problems!

CM Storm Quickfire TK w/ Browns HHKB Pro 2

Offline Veridis

« Reply #28 on: Fri, 07 November 2014, 20:57:20 »
I was actually just thinking this with my new HHKB. I alway tend to be hitting the edge of the spacebar with my left thumb (I only press space with my left thumb). Is there a wrist rest that fits the HHKB? I'm not too keen on flipping the spacebar.

How long have you been using the HHKB? At the beginning (first 1-2 days) I had to actively focus on pressing the spacebar and not it's edge, but after a week it became 2nd nature.

Offline Gunni

« Reply #29 on: Sat, 08 November 2014, 06:48:27 »

Or switch to MX and get SA profile caps. The spacebar doesn't have sharp angles, feels awesome.

How long have you been using the HHKB? At the beginning (first 1-2 days) I had to actively focus on pressing the spacebar and not it's edge, but after a week it became 2nd nature.
Only about a week, I've been pressing the spacebar on the edge. Just tried to type without touching the edge...this is going to be difficult :P
CM Storm Quickfire TK w/ Browns HHKB Pro 2