Author Topic: Unpopular Keyboard Opinions  (Read 581345 times)

Offline HungerMechanic

Re: Unpopular Keyboard Opinions
« Reply #4800 on: Thu, 19 March 2020, 20:56:41 »

All I think about when typing with browns is how terrible they feel. I don't think about anything else.

I also dislike Cherry MX in general, so that can't help. I used Cherry MX Reds exclusively for the first few years of my mechanical experience. I think I always mashed them until they bottom out, just with less force when I was adjusted to their springs, and I still don't look back fondly on the typing experience other that it felt better than cheap rubber domes.

That's an entirely legitimate perspective. Truth is, Browns often feel bad on an individual basis. And that can detract from the entire typing experience. Cherry really should have tried harder to 1. eliminate scratchiness / grittiness 2. eliminate ping and 3. lube those switches. For starters.

Stock Cherry switches can be terrible in general, although that's not necessarily an unpopular opinion around here.

Offline Maledicted

« Reply #4801 on: Fri, 20 March 2020, 07:53:49 »
Plate mount stabs are superior  :-X ;D

I'm no stabilizer connoisseur, though I know I seem to prefer Costar to Cherry. Those are both plate-mounted, are they not? What alternative is there? Even the stabilizers in buckling spring boards should technically be plate-mounted, right?

Truth is, Browns often feel bad on an individual basis. And that can detract from the entire typing experience. Cherry really should have tried harder to 1. eliminate scratchiness / grittiness 2. eliminate ping and 3. lube those switches. For starters.

Agreed

Offline Sintpinty

• Carbon Based Life Form
  • The sun god and destroyer of worlds
    • My promotion link
« Reply #4802 on: Fri, 20 March 2020, 20:41:05 »
I'm using some box navies for typing at home, but I still don't mind using even Cherry MX Red. Browns just feel terrible to me, and aren't tactile enough to be worth being tactile at all in light of this. I certainly haven't tried lubed ones though.

Again, they're only really meant to be barely noticeably tactile, since they were originally designed as an "ergo" option.  Lubing them or just wearing them in for a few months makes them much nicer to use though.

Exactly this. A lot of people seem to miss the point of MX browns. They aren't meant to be the most tactile thing in the world nor the smoothest (blame cherry molds for that), but properly tuned/lubed they're some of the nicest switch for typists with good form.

I understanding disliking MX browns if you've tried all the popular switches plus their tuned/lubed counterparts, at that point it's just personal preference. It is, however, a bit sad to see people bash brown switches just because they're readily available and not as tactile as some other existing switches (and somehow, making them bad? lol).
I genuinely know linear switches that are more tactile than MX Brown.

chyros moment

chyros moment

chyros moment

chyros moment

chyros moment gives off the same energy as shaded avatar moment

But yeah browns feel almost the same as reds

Offline Maledicted

« Reply #4803 on: Sat, 21 March 2020, 11:31:57 »

I think Chyros' description of them is apt, browns feel like scratchy reds. I'm sorry Dale.

Offline DrivenKeys

• go down clickin', dawg
« Reply #4804 on: Wed, 25 March 2020, 05:59:10 »
The Das x50q is an incredible keyboard, hobbled by terrible software support. I'm usually a heavy switch and Model M lover, but the Omron switches are a lot of fun, once you get used to the very subtle benefits. It's very sturdy, the lighting is extremely well done, and their engineers put a lot of unique quality into its design. Most of their gear is overpriced, but a refurbished x50q is cheaper than many cherry boards that feel lesser quality. Once the firmware is updated, as long as you like the handful of stock colors, the x50q is quite a steal.
1994 Lexmark Model M, Unicomp EnduraPro, Leopold FC900R (MX Clears), Ducky One White LED (MX Whites), Das Keyboard X50q (love them Omrons!)

Online jacethesaltsculptor

• IBM = I Buy Model-M's
« Reply #4805 on: Wed, 25 March 2020, 21:50:55 »

I think Chyros' description of them is apt, browns feel like scratchy reds. I'm sorry Dale.

I always describe them to friends as dirty reds, because they feel like they have grit in them. I'm always surprised by how many people like them. I don't think I'm the kind of people those switches had in mind.

I've always wanted to try Omrons, I've only heard good things about them.

Unicomp M122 - Unicomp Classic Trackball - IBM Model M13 - IBM Model F122 - IBM Model F Bigfoot - IBM Model F AT - Ducky Shine 3 Yellow

Offline chyros

• a.k.a. Thomas
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • Hello and welcome.
« Reply #4806 on: Thu, 26 March 2020, 04:03:29 »

I always describe them to friends as dirty reds, because they feel like they have grit in them. I'm always surprised by how many people like them. I don't think I'm the kind of people those switches had in mind.

I've always wanted to try Omrons, I've only heard good things about them.
They're good, but super unreliable xD .
Check my keyboard video reviews:

Offline Avi_

« Reply #4807 on: Thu, 26 March 2020, 10:30:55 »
Here's a potentially unpopular opinion: MX Browns are not good or bad, they just have a logic of their own.

I agree with what you said about the MX Browns fully. Very well put. When I type on Browns and try to enjoy it, it does not work. They are not enjoyable. But when I do work using Browns, I sometimes notice how quick and effortlessly I type, compared to other types of switches that I actually enjoy (Box Pinks, for example).

At some point I decided to replace the MX Browns on my Leopold board with something else, but later I realized that Browns have their use. It's what you described in your post.

Online jacethesaltsculptor

• IBM = I Buy Model-M's
« Reply #4808 on: Thu, 26 March 2020, 10:38:14 »
They're good, but super unreliable xD .

You did a review of those didn't you? I should give it a watch.

Here's a potentially unpopular opinion: MX Browns are not good or bad, they just have a logic of their own.

I agree with what you said about the MX Browns fully. Very well put. When I type on Browns and try to enjoy it, it does not work. They are not enjoyable. But when I do work using Browns, I sometimes notice how quick and effortlessly I type, compared to other types of switches that I actually enjoy (Box Pinks, for example).

At some point I decided to replace the MX Browns on my Leopold board with something else, but later I realized that Browns have their use. It's what you described in your post.

I think that sums it up well. Although you did make me think, I probably should try using Browns in a work capacity, using things during work has changed my mind on a lot of things over the years. 5 minutes of playing with a switch tester doesn't always cut it.
« Last Edit: Thu, 26 March 2020, 16:26:09 by jacethesaltsculptor »

Unicomp M122 - Unicomp Classic Trackball - IBM Model M13 - IBM Model F122 - IBM Model F Bigfoot - IBM Model F AT - Ducky Shine 3 Yellow

Offline HungerMechanic

« Reply #4809 on: Thu, 26 March 2020, 15:57:06 »

Yes, they were meant to be non-distracting and stay out-of-the-way, I think.

There wouldn't be so many complaints about them if they were smoother out-of-the-box and called "Ergo Soft" (as they once were) instead of "tactile."