Author Topic: 30-40 Kishsavers found at a bank, and bank boss has them shredded the same night  (Read 10152 times)

Offline intelli78

Please consider carefully before you decide to comment, for Jesus.

Offline Flyersfan1

• * Destiny Supporter
  • Hi!
That's criminal.
Quote from: Photekq
i know people who think salt is spicy

Offline Puddsy

• nice
  • * Elated Elder
  • "Do you shovel to survive, or survive to shovel?"
RIP
QFR | MJ2 TKL | "Bulgogiboard" (Keycon 104) | ctrl.alt x GON 60% | TGR Alice | Mira SE #29 | Mira SE #34 | Revo One | z | Keycult No. 1 | AIS65 | First CW87 prototype | Mech27v1 | Camp C225 | Duck Orion V1 | LZ CLS sxh | Geon Frog TKL | Hiney TKL One | Geon Glare TKL

"Everything is worse, but in a barely perceptible and indefinable way" -dollartacos, after I came back from a break | "Is Linkshine our Nixon?" -NAV | "Puddsy is the Puddsy of keebs" -ns90

Offline intelli78

The guy sounds like a seriously rotten ass hole. Not only is he ignorant about technology, and not only did he trash something that he was being told had historical value, but he pulled the trigger immediately. Jeezus. He could have given it a week. Just one of those people I guess.

Offline exitfire401

• * Global Moderator
  • The Force is Re/\l
My heart hurts.
Boards: Kingsaver Complicated Blue Alps |Sprit 60% Transparent MX Clears in Gateron housings with 62g gold Sprit springs lubed and RGB color shifting LEDs | Ducky Shine Zone MX Black with Blue LEDs | Realforce 10AE Variable Silenced

B/S/T thread: https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=55351.0

Past projects: KBT Race 2 L.E.
Past Boards: Ducky Shine 2 | KBT Pure | LZ Aluminum Skin| HHKB | Realforce 23u |

Offline hwood34

• underwater squad
  • * Exalted Elder
  • #1 CL stan
    • Keyboard Illuminati
why why why why why why why why why why why why why why why why why why why why
IV KWK Info Thread & KBK Info Thread IV (out of date)

Old GBs: Gateron Switches (2015) | CF-LX R1 (2015) | CF-LX R2 (2017) | CF-LXXX (2017) | Gen.s Gem Caps (2015)

"Under no pretext should arms and ammunition be surrendered; any attempt to disarm the workers must be frustrated, by force if necessary"

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
Sounds like that TV show "Halt and Catch Fire"
Citizens United violates the essence of what made America a great country in its political system. Now it’s just an oligarchy, with unlimited political bribery being the essence of getting the nominations for president or to elect the president.
So now we’ve just seen a complete subversion of our political system as a payoff to major contributors, who want and expect and sometimes get favors for themselves after the election’s over.”
- Jimmy Carter 2015

Offline scubaste

I started to read the title and got really excited, then i finished reading it and was really sad.  :'(

Offline dorkvader

• all about the "hack" in "geekhack"
Not even the first time this has happened. A reseller had pallets and pallets of 107 keys and they scrapped them despite the fact that we had expressed an interest.

so: legitimate business that wants to sell stock to customers, instead destroys it.

Offline dustinhxc

• * Exalted Elder
  • IV
    • Gray Designs
Nooooooo!!!!! :0

I can't believe it man..

What a tragic loss.

Offline berserkfan

• changing diapers is more fun than model f assembly
The guy sounds like a seriously rotten ass hole.

He's a Banker. He probably shredded these precisely because some nerdy geek told him these had value.
Most of the modding can be done on your own once you break through the psychological barriers.

Offline Coreda

RIP. Only skimmed through it, but unfortunate no official documentation could be provided, apart from the obvious fact that even hypothetically there couldn't be any real amount of memory on a board from 20 years ago.
« Last Edit: Thu, 27 November 2014, 23:18:30 by Coreda »

Offline intelli78

He's a Banker. He probably shredded these precisely because some nerdy geek told him these had value.

An true villain

RIP. Only skimmed through it, but unfortunate no official documentation could be provided, apart from the obvious fact that even hypothetically there couldn't be any real amount of memory on a board from 20 years ago.

I doubt this guy was serious about the documentation. Think about what a ***** you have to be to do this.

Someone comes to you and says, oh, your trash is my treasure, there are only a few of these in the world, I can't believe I found them!

Hours later, shredded.

Obviously none of us were there, but I really think he just did it to be mean. If he had been at all serious, he would have at least kept them around and given her a chance. But that was never his intention. Such a shame that they had to be in this particular bank.

Offline Coreda

Guy is a true prick for sure.

Offline Zeal

• Actually the King of Green Tea Kit-Kats
  • * Vendor
    • Zeal Generation Inc.
RIP. Another piece of history destroyed.  :'(
        "Bird have wing, bird will fly. Henry had wings.  Henry now fly." -Sent

Offline tbc

An true villain

I doubt this guy was serious about the documentation. Think about what a ***** you have to be to do this.

Someone comes to you and says, oh, your trash is my treasure, there are only a few of these in the world, I can't believe I found them!

Hours later, shredded.

Obviously none of us were there, but I really think he just did it to be mean. If he had been at all serious, he would have at least kept them around and given her a chance. But that was never his intention. Such a shame that they had to be in this particular bank.

this.

what happens when you shred a banker?  you get awards for that in the states don't you?
ALL zombros wanted:  dead or undead or dead-dead.

Offline berserkfan

• changing diapers is more fun than model f assembly
Nah, when you shred a banker you get something worse than feces which can at least be turned into fertilizer. You get toxic waste of the kind that bankers were selling pre 2008. That 's all that they are made of.

And the Obama administration loves these bankers.
Most of the modding can be done on your own once you break through the psychological barriers.

Offline fanpeople

This makes me sad, unfortunately I have worked for a place which had a similar policy where all property had to be disposed of in a certain way. For example cars auctioned, but then small value items such as GPS, phones, laptops etc. had to be destroyed in the presence of a witness. All to prevent conflict of interest and fraud accusations which is understandable regardless of the fact that many items were brand new and had little to no use and seemed like a serious waste. 

Offline Oobly

• * Esteemed Elder
I am usually very restrained and don't often swear, but I did when I read this.. What a @#$@ing douchebag....
Buying more keycaps,
it really hacks my wallet,
but I must have them.

Offline intelli78

I know... the more I think about it, the madder I get...
This is arguably the #1 keyboard holy grail, and it went up in flames in 24 hours  :-\

Offline Joey Quinn

• "..."
 :'( Damn. The Kishsaver is my dream board, I really need to make a DT account so I don't miss the next chance at one.
People in the 1980s, in general, were clearly just better than we are now in every measurable way.

The dumber the reason the more it must be done

Offline MOZ

• KING OF THE NEWBIES
  • * Maker
  • Busy making stuff
This makes me so sad.

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
Sadness and despair.

But wonder at how many still lurk in basements around the world (is just in the US, as the case may be).

Then dismay at the possibility of more suffering the same fate.
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline faceyourfaces

But wonder at how many still lurk in basements around the world (is just in the US, as the case may be).

Since the IBM 4704 was made for use in banks, it's probably not that high of a number.  :(
It's interesting to wonder though.

Offline mougrim

For him it was like this:
Give them up - potential troubles.
Just shred them - no troubles.

Plus, he's a douchebag.
IBM AT Model F, Vortexgear Race 3, AEKII (Alps Cream Damped), Metoo Zero (modded to Kailh Box Navy)

Offline ynrozturk

All that history, just wasted. This thread makes me a very, very sad panda.
IBM Model F | IMB Model M | Poker II MX Brown | Poker II MX Clear | Filco TKL MX Brown | Bastardized Razer Blackwidow TE MX Blue | Logitech G602 |  Cyborg R.A.T. 7 | | Logitech MX518 | Icemat  | Artisan Hien

Offline dustinhxc

• * Exalted Elder
  • IV
    • Gray Designs
I understand a laptop, but a non programmable keyboard? Come on you ****ing asshat.

Offline Data

I understand a laptop, but a non programmable keyboard? Come on you ****ing asshat.

Many people are willfully ignorant when it comes to technology.  We who know better are painfully rare.

Offline dgreekstallion

• B.S. Fiend
Holy ****. This is so freaking terrible.
Recent keyboard fanatic.

Model F-122 convert.

Offline jacobolus

Since the IBM 4704 was made for use in banks, it's probably not that high of a number.  :(
It was used in *lots* of banks. I’m guessing there are still hundreds if not thousands of these sitting on back shelves in various banks. Not going to be easy to find them though.

Offline BlueNalgene

It was used in *lots* of banks. I’m guessing there are still hundreds if not thousands of these sitting on back shelves in various banks. Not going to be easy to find them though.

We should rob them.  You know, for their keyboards.  They probably have all their security focused on the vault that they won't notice, right?

Offline FoxWolf1

Bank's actions seem to make sense to me.

I mean, consider the following two policies that the bank might have:

1) Destroy all old gear. This rule is to be followed without question or exception. Individual thoughts and reasoning are overruled by the rule. Obey always, no matter how little sense it seems to make in the particular case.
2) Destroy old gear, but this rule may be broken if individuals think it doesn't make sense in the particular case.

Now, rule #2 is clearly a lot more vulnerable to errors and attacks...

In fact, on rule #2, all you would have to do to get something that does have sensitive data on it is convince someone with decision-making power that it doesn't. Rule #1 is immune to this, because even if you are completely successful in convincing the decision-maker that there is zero risk, he still won't give away the device. I know which rule I'd rather have my bank follow...(hint: it ain't #2).
Oberhofer Model 1101 | PadTech Hall Effect (Prototype) | RK RC930-104 v2 | IBM Model M | Noppoo TANK | Keycool Hero 104

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.

It was used in *lots* of banks. I�m guessing there are still hundreds if not thousands of these sitting on back shelves in various banks. Not going to be easy to find them though.

Now you've got me wondering how many of these are languishing in bank cellars in Australia.

Not many, probably :(

And even if there were, it is unlikely I'd be able to get any.

I'm still waiting for the opportunity to put my hand up for the old Cherry keyboards they have now.
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline RoflCopter4

You'd think a mother****ing banker would understand the reason why literally throwing away would could be close to $10000 is a bad idea. What a ****ing moron.
Acer KB-101A with Blue Alps | HHKB Pro 2 | '85 122 Key IBM Model F | '86 1390131 "Silver Label" Model M | AEK M0115 with Orange Alps | Focus FK-2001 White Alps | Chicony 5181 with SMK "Monterey Blue" Switches | Dell AT101W | Unicomp "Ultra Classic" | Razer Blackwidow 2013

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
You'd think a mother****ing banker would understand the reason why literally throwing away would could be close to $10000 is a bad idea. What a ****ing moron.

No - they collect an order more magnitude than that money every day - a sum like that means nothing to them.

Offline Puddsy

• nice
  • * Elated Elder
  • "Do you shovel to survive, or survive to shovel?"
Also, most people assume vintage computer peripherals won't sell, since they're vintage and in a hobbyist market.

If you look at it from a banker's point of view, shredding it makes you more money since you can put money making stuff where the keyboards were
QFR | MJ2 TKL | "Bulgogiboard" (Keycon 104) | ctrl.alt x GON 60% | TGR Alice | Mira SE #29 | Mira SE #34 | Revo One | z | Keycult No. 1 | AIS65 | First CW87 prototype | Mech27v1 | Camp C225 | Duck Orion V1 | LZ CLS sxh | Geon Frog TKL | Hiney TKL One | Geon Glare TKL

"Everything is worse, but in a barely perceptible and indefinable way" -dollartacos, after I came back from a break | "Is Linkshine our Nixon?" -NAV | "Puddsy is the Puddsy of keebs" -ns90

Offline Sturmfrau

He should be burnt on the alive D:<
|
HHKB Pro 2 Black (Blank) | HHKB Pro 2 White (Blank)

Offline Novus

• Formerly the1onewolf
  • * Exquisite Elder
  • Mondai nothing~
Financial conspiracy

Offline trizkut

• * Global Moderator
If you look at it from a banker's point of view, shredding it makes you more money since you can put money making stuff where the keyboards were

until they shred that too.

Offline tbc

Bank's actions seem to make sense to me.

I mean, consider the following two policies that the bank might have:

1) Destroy all old gear. This rule is to be followed without question or exception. Individual thoughts and reasoning are overruled by the rule. Obey always, no matter how little sense it seems to make in the particular case.
2) Destroy old gear, but this rule may be broken if individuals think it doesn't make sense in the particular case.

Now, rule #2 is clearly a lot more vulnerable to errors and attacks...

In fact, on rule #2, all you would have to do to get something that does have sensitive data on it is convince someone with decision-making power that it doesn't. Rule #1 is immune to this, because even if you are completely successful in convincing the decision-maker that there is zero risk, he still won't give away the device. I know which rule I'd rather have my bank follow...(hint: it ain't #2).

um....

i rather have a bank that checks to see if the equipment can hold data BEFORE they buy it.

your 'best bank' #1 scenario is ****ed if their distributor buys a bugged shipment of keyboards.

Offline RoflCopter4

No - they collect an order more magnitude than that money every day - a sum like that means nothing to them.

Sure, the bank obviously does, but I kind of doubt that particular banker pulls in so much that $10000 feels like an uttery inconsequential sum.
Acer KB-101A with Blue Alps | HHKB Pro 2 | '85 122 Key IBM Model F | '86 1390131 "Silver Label" Model M | AEK M0115 with Orange Alps | Focus FK-2001 White Alps | Chicony 5181 with SMK "Monterey Blue" Switches | Dell AT101W | Unicomp "Ultra Classic" | Razer Blackwidow 2013

Offline tbc

Sure, the bank obviously does, but I kind of doubt that particular banker pulls in so much that $10000 feels like an uttery inconsequential sum.

?

you mean if he personally sold and profited from selling the keyboards?

pretty sure that's grounds for termination in most companies.

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.

?

Unless the company (bank) had formally given the hardware to him.

Where I work every now and again we have a clear out of old hardware.  Once something is slated for disposal, it has to be formally written off at the accountant's, then it is basically up for grabs for anyone who wants it.  What we do with the hardware after that is entirely up to us.

Although tbh not much of it is worth much, if anything.

Offline RoflCopter4

?

There's no real reason I can think of why anyone reasonable should worry about what becomes of used keyboards. If the bank was willing to destroy them I don't see why, after easily demonstrating that they could not possibly contain any information whatsoever, they couldn't just give them away.

Offline Data

This wouldn't have happened if the bank had a proper IT department and equipment disposition process.

I know I'd be super pissed and jumping down a few throats if one of my branch offices took equipment to the shredder (despite condition) without my knowledge and permission.  And I work in healthcare, which is almost as paranoid about consumer data as the banking industry.

Offline davkol

•  Post Editing Timeout
…and the Deskthority Ping award goes to…

Offline intelli78

Offline Photekq

• wheat flour zone
  • sorry if i was ever an ******* to you
https://kbdarchive.org/
github
discord: hi mum#5710

Offline Zeal

• Actually the King of Green Tea Kit-Kats
  • * Vendor
    • Zeal Generation Inc.
        "Bird have wing, bird will fly. Henry had wings.  Henry now fly." -Sent

Offline mougrim

IBM AT Model F, Vortexgear Race 3, AEKII (Alps Cream Damped), Metoo Zero (modded to Kailh Box Navy)