Author Topic: Car Thread  (Read 399791 times)

Offline bliss

Re: Car Thread
« Reply #2950 on: Sun, 19 April 2020, 03:53:12 »
I also really love Doug's channel. I just wish he made vintage car videos (30s-60s), even if it was just once a month. It’s not going to be as popular as a new Ferrari, but c’mon I wanna see a C2 corvette or something.

My fave vid is also the Lancia Delta Integrale. Well, it’s my dream car, so I’m biased.

Had a test drive with a Delta Integrale when the 16V version came out

:eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

My father was regular customer at the car dealership at the time. They also had an autograph session with Franz Wittmann there :thumb:

Offline katushkin

• Too Keycool for School
  • * Elevated Elder
  • The KOTM guy
« Reply #2951 on: Thu, 23 April 2020, 08:40:32 »
Curious what the GH opinions are on the Range Rover Sport SVR vs the Jeep Trackhawk

All new Range Rovers are trash. They're terribly made.

If you want to do anything more than check the fluid levels you have to separate the body from the chassis. Plus their dealerships are seemingly useless, unable and unwilling to fix any problems with them.
Can we get them to build the Alps ten feet higher and get Cherry to pay for it?
Katushkin's Clearout | Twitter | Steam | Instagram|

Offline Sintpinty

• Carbon Based Life Form
  • The sun god and destroyer of worlds
    • My promotion link
« Reply #2952 on: Mon, 27 April 2020, 20:37:28 »
Curious what the GH opinions are on the Range Rover Sport SVR vs the Jeep Trackhawk

All new Range Rovers are trash. They're terribly made.

If you want to do anything more than check the fluid levels you have to separate the body from the chassis. Plus their dealerships are seemingly useless, unable and unwilling to fix any problems with them.

Why do people buy range rovers anyways ? Boggles me

Offline Sintpinty

• Carbon Based Life Form
    • My promotion link
« Reply #2953 on: Tue, 28 April 2020, 12:28:41 »
Photo of mustang here:

How does it look

Offline iri

« Reply #2954 on: Tue, 28 April 2020, 15:29:43 »
What's this wiring in the front of the car?
(...)Whereas back then I wrote about the tyranny of the majority, today I'd combine that with the tyranny of the minorities. These days, you have to be careful of both. They both want to control you. The first group, by making you do the same thing over and over again. The second group is indicated by the letters I get from the Vassar girls who want me to put more women's lib in The Martian Chronicles, or from blacks who want more black people in Dandelion Wine.
I say to both bunches, Whether you're a majority or minority, bug off! To hell with anybody who wants to tell me what to write. Their society breaks down into subsections of minorities who then, in effect, burn books by banning them. All this political correctness that's rampant on campuses is b.s.

-Ray Bradbury

Offline Sniping

« Reply #2955 on: Tue, 28 April 2020, 23:36:39 »

lol
the best keyboard is the one in front of you

Offline Sintpinty

• Carbon Based Life Form
    • My promotion link
« Reply #2956 on: Wed, 29 April 2020, 16:32:14 »

Idk what you mean

Offline TacticalCoder

« Reply #2957 on: Wed, 29 April 2020, 17:54:49 »

Idk what you mean

He's kidding about the quick edit of the license plate: makes it look like some sort of weird wiring.  Very good looking Mustang.
HHKB Pro JP (daily driver) -- HHKB Pro 2 -- Industrial IBM Model M 1395240-- NIB Cherry MX 5000 - IBM Model M 1391412 (Swiss QWERTZ) -- IBM Model M 1391403 (German QWERTZ) * 2 -- IBM Model M Ambra -- Black IBM Model M M13 -- IBM Model M 1391401 -- IBM Model M 139? ? ? *2 -- Dell AT102W -- Ergo (split) SmartBoard (white ALPS apparently)

Offline Sintpinty

• Carbon Based Life Form
    • My promotion link
« Reply #2958 on: Fri, 01 May 2020, 07:30:45 »

Idk what you mean

He's kidding about the quick edit of the license plate: makes it look like some sort of weird wiring.  Very good looking Mustang.

thx

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #2959 on: Fri, 01 May 2020, 08:40:14 »
A few years ago I had a next-door neighbor with a similar Mustang, a 1968 Fastback, burgundy color. One-owner, he had bought it new in 1968, and kept it all original, even down to a Ford battery.

After the first few years, he had kept it in the garage all the time and only brought it out on sunny Saturday afternoons.
The difference in characterization of crime and who commits it skews what criminality looks like demographically. "What we're seeing so far is very similar to the process that we see with Islamic violent Jihad radicalization," said former FBI Assistant Director Frank Figliuzzi, "This wanting to belong to a cause greater than yourself, wanting to get affirmation from a group who may not even know who you are or ever met you. And then feeling like you're part of this deployment, this cause. You heard him say on the clip 'It's my job to protect this.'
No, it's not your job. But you think it is. And video last night shows him walking around roaming around with the assault rifle not really doing much of protecting anything." Figliuzzi made it clear that calling these characters "troubled" is a misnomer. "I would assert," Figliuzzi continued. "that it's time we stopped using the word ‘troubled’ with regard to white young people who act out like this and start thinking about the radicalized term that we used when people of color or people of Islamic faith act out like this. This is a radicalization process that's happening. It happened with the El Paso shooter in Texas. We kept hearing he was troubled. No, he was radicalized. And it's happening online."

Offline noisyturtle

• * Exalted Elder
  • comfortably numb
« Reply #2960 on: Sun, 03 May 2020, 23:09:20 »
Always been a huge Lancia fan, especially the Stratos, and this New Stratos is actually really really nice. Beautiful and true to the original, while still updating the mechanics and look to a more modern song.
Beautiful ****in' car, a shame the only people who will ever own one will never drive them and keep them locked in barns and garages like chained slaves. Those people can go to Hell!

Very rare, very expensive, very beautiful, and to own one you need to sacrifice a Ferrari 430 Scuderia.

Offline noisyturtle

• * Exalted Elder
  • comfortably numb
« Reply #2961 on: Mon, 04 May 2020, 04:42:05 »
One of the greatest interiors ever crafted for any interior in the history of automobiles. Totally gauche, but somehow it all works beautifully. And that skeleton shift is the bees tits!

Offline Brammm87

« Reply #2962 on: Mon, 04 May 2020, 07:46:30 »
Always been a huge Lancia fan, especially the Stratos, and this New Stratos is actually really really nice. Beautiful and true to the original, while still updating the mechanics and look to a more modern song.
Beautiful ****in' car, a shame the only people who will ever own one will never drive them and keep them locked in barns and garages like chained slaves. Those people can go to Hell!

Very rare, very expensive, very beautiful, and to own one you need to sacrifice a Ferrari 430 Scuderia.
Holy ****, that thing is **** ugly  :)) To each their own luckily.

I mean...

It tries to have the cockpit of a Koenigsegg, the tail end of a Mustang and I don't even know what the front is about. Maybe it's lens distortion or whatever, but the proportions seem to be completely out of whack as well.
« Last Edit: Mon, 04 May 2020, 07:48:20 by Brammm87 »
pls gief bbv2

Offline noisyturtle

• * Exalted Elder
  • comfortably numb
« Reply #2963 on: Mon, 04 May 2020, 07:53:54 »

Holy ****, that thing is **** ugly  :)) To each their own luckily.

I mean...
Show Image

It tries to have the cockpit of a Koenigsegg, the tail end of a Mustang and I don't even know what the front is about. Maybe it's lens distortion or whatever, but the proportions seem to be completely out of whack as well.

I mean, you are aware of the original Stratos' wheelbase right? Aside from popup headlights it's pretty dead-on. Perhaps you just think the Stratos originale is ugly, but that's the way it's supposed to look. It's a rally monster, one of the best ever.

Offline noisyturtle

• * Exalted Elder
  • comfortably numb
« Reply #2964 on: Fri, 19 June 2020, 18:04:45 »
What do people think about the Toyota Sera? I'm strongly considering importing one from Japan as a daily driver.

Offline JP

« Reply #2965 on: Sat, 20 June 2020, 09:28:02 »
What do people think about the Toyota Sera? I'm strongly considering importing one from Japan as a daily driver.
Show Image

It won't won't fare too well in a crash with all the big soccer mom SUV's on the road, lacks storage capacity, right hand-drive, doesn't have much under the hood, and a stiff wind will likely knock you off the road but you get badass lambo doors. You might might need to carry a big stick to chase off all the ladies. This would be a great car for weekend drives and car meetups.

https://drivetribe.com/p/heres-why-i-want-a-toyota-sera-Epejy4qwR7mdQOii7o7mQQ?iid=LkiVdJO4TuaVv2EcTSl9Aw
About Me | The Collection
Therapy is expensive so I buy keyboards and bike parts.

Offline JP

« Reply #2966 on: Sat, 20 June 2020, 11:24:18 »
Got a new (to me) daily non-driver  :) this week  ;D

245369-0

Offline tentboy

« Reply #2967 on: Mon, 22 June 2020, 08:23:49 »

Good choice.  I daily a 2015 base model Civic and its been nothing but affordable and reliable

Offline tentboy

« Reply #2968 on: Mon, 22 June 2020, 08:25:36 »
Racetracks are opening back up woohoo.  HPDE weekend yesterday.

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #2969 on: Mon, 22 June 2020, 20:46:06 »

Got a new (to me) daily non-driver this week

I am on my second Odyssey. I had previously been driving Toyotas since the late 1980s, but Honda has won my undying admiration for the quality of their products and comfortable design.

That was how I felt about my Volvos in the 1970s-80s, but gas mileage and repair costs finally wore me out.
The difference in characterization of crime and who commits it skews what criminality looks like demographically. "What we're seeing so far is very similar to the process that we see with Islamic violent Jihad radicalization," said former FBI Assistant Director Frank Figliuzzi, "This wanting to belong to a cause greater than yourself, wanting to get affirmation from a group who may not even know who you are or ever met you. And then feeling like you're part of this deployment, this cause. You heard him say on the clip 'It's my job to protect this.'
No, it's not your job. But you think it is. And video last night shows him walking around roaming around with the assault rifle not really doing much of protecting anything." Figliuzzi made it clear that calling these characters "troubled" is a misnomer. "I would assert," Figliuzzi continued. "that it's time we stopped using the word ‘troubled’ with regard to white young people who act out like this and start thinking about the radicalized term that we used when people of color or people of Islamic faith act out like this. This is a radicalization process that's happening. It happened with the El Paso shooter in Texas. We kept hearing he was troubled. No, he was radicalized. And it's happening online."

Offline JP

« Reply #2970 on: Mon, 22 June 2020, 21:48:31 »

Good choice.  I daily a 2015 base model Civic and its been nothing but affordable and reliable

:thumb:

I am on my second Odyssey. I had previously been driving Toyotas since the late 1980s, but Honda has won my undying admiration for the quality of their products and comfortable design.

That was how I felt about my Volvos in the 1970s-80s, but gas mileage and repair costs finally wore me out.

It's a bit of fate that I ended up with a Honda. I took a friend with me to take a look at a Hyundai Sonata. I test drove that and it was alright but wasn't a fan of the responsiveness of the steering but was something you could get used to. Later though we found some hidden damage and the salesman was really shady about the situation. Had the car been exactly as advertised I'd probably have bought it without test driving other cars which would have been a mistake.

My buddy suggested we check out some cars at a Honda dealership nearby. I ended up test driving the Accord Sport and the experience was a night and day difference. Such an easy to drive car and just a lot better quality than the Sonata I looked at. I love the carbon fiber looking bits of the interior and the sharp looking wheels of the Sport version. Everyone says Honda's are reliable so I'm hoping that's the case. The older ones are infamous for high mileage but I feel like these newer ones won't last as long with this whole Direct Injection thing which most newer cars seem to have to get better efficiency. I've heard that Honda makes some of the best engines out there but Toyota has the edge as they have a system to clean the intake valves in their GDI engines so no carbon buildup to worry about.

Walk-through of one similar to mine but mines not the special edition.

« Last Edit: Mon, 22 June 2020, 21:54:21 by JP »

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #2971 on: Tue, 23 June 2020, 13:29:02 »

It's a bit of fate that I ended up with a Honda.

In my long lifetime I have had at least a dozen cars, and my (3) 4-cylinder Camrys and (2) Odyssey vans have been the most reliable and long-lasting cars that I have owned.

My daughter has a 2007 Sonata that has been a good solid car, if not exiting, and it is still going strong.

Offline bliss

« Reply #2972 on: Sat, 27 June 2020, 12:28:04 »

Offline iri

« Reply #2973 on: Sat, 27 June 2020, 15:59:14 »
Ahhh, Kopeyka!
(...)Whereas back then I wrote about the tyranny of the majority, today I'd combine that with the tyranny of the minorities. These days, you have to be careful of both. They both want to control you. The first group, by making you do the same thing over and over again. The second group is indicated by the letters I get from the Vassar girls who want me to put more women's lib in The Martian Chronicles, or from blacks who want more black people in Dandelion Wine.
I say to both bunches, Whether you're a majority or minority, bug off! To hell with anybody who wants to tell me what to write. Their society breaks down into subsections of minorities who then, in effect, burn books by banning them. All this political correctness that's rampant on campuses is b.s.

-Ray Bradbury

Offline Sniping

« Reply #2974 on: Fri, 31 July 2020, 16:07:26 »
oh **** ! never posted my car before. it's a 135i. just remembered to show it off because i've been thinking about selling it HAHA.

248411-0
the best keyboard is the one in front of you

Offline noisyturtle

• * Exalted Elder
  • comfortably numb
« Reply #2975 on: Sun, 09 August 2020, 19:16:33 »
The Starion/Conquest has got to be in the running for Most '80s Interior Ever, and I love it  :-*