Author Topic: Arabic keycaps?  (Read 5763 times)

Offline P3TC0CK

Arabic keycaps?
« on: Sat, 13 December 2014, 10:04:16 »
Anyone ever see a mech with Arabic font? I haven't had any luck in my short stay in Dubai so far, but it would be interesting if anyone has heard anything. The world trade center of Dubai was created in the late 70s, so it's possible some keyboards were made for the country but I've yet to come across any.

Not sure about other countries in the region.
petcock
[pet-kok] 
noun
1. a small valve or faucet, as for draining off excess or waste material from the cylinder of a steam engine or an internal-combustion engine.

Offline Puddsy

• nice
  • * Elated Elder
  • "Do you shovel to survive, or survive to shovel?"
Re: Arabic keycaps?
« Reply #1 on: Sat, 13 December 2014, 11:44:04 »
QFR | MJ2 TKL | "Bulgogiboard" (Keycon 104) | ctrl.alt x GON 60% | TGR Alice | Mira SE #29 | Mira SE #34 | Revo One | z | Keycult No. 1 | AIS65 | First CW87 prototype | Mech27v1 | Camp C225 | Duck Orion V1 | LZ CLS sxh | Geon Frog TKL | Hiney TKL One | Geon Glare TKL

"Everything is worse, but in a barely perceptible and indefinable way" -dollartacos, after I came back from a break | "Is Linkshine our Nixon?" -NAV | "Puddsy is the Puddsy of keebs" -ns90

Offline Photekq

• wheat flour zone
  • sorry if i was ever an ******* to you
« Reply #2 on: Sat, 13 December 2014, 11:47:27 »
Look for Cherry G81-3000SAA, G81-3000SPA, etc. for thick PBT dyesubs.

http://www.kbdmania.net/xe/index.php?mid=photo&order_type=asc&page=1245&sort_index=blamed_count&document_srl=6473400

Oh, and if you find more than 1, sell me one :cool:
https://kbdarchive.org/
github
discord: hi mum#5710

Offline P3TC0CK

« Reply #3 on: Sun, 14 December 2014, 06:41:51 »
Look for Cherry G81-3000SAA, G81-3000SPA, etc. for thick PBT dyesubs.

http://www.kbdmania.net/xe/index.php?mid=photo&order_type=asc&page=1245&sort_index=blamed_count&document_srl=6473400

Oh, and if you find more than 1, sell me one :cool:

I'll definitely let everyone know if I can find one haha.

https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=66550.0

Oh, Awesome. I'll definitely consider it and pass it around here. Are the designs subject to change? I don't mind the star and crescent, but some people might prefer an Arabic set without the religious symbol.
« Last Edit: Sun, 14 December 2014, 06:45:20 by P3TC0CK »
petcock
[pet-kok] 
noun
1. a small valve or faucet, as for draining off excess or waste material from the cylinder of a steam engine or an internal-combustion engine.

Offline Photekq

• wheat flour zone
« Reply #4 on: Sun, 14 December 2014, 06:43:53 »
I'll definitely let everyone know if I can find one haha.
No, don't tell everyone. Just tell me! :))
github

Offline Puddsy

• nice
  • * Elated Elder
  • "Do you shovel to survive, or survive to shovel?"
« Reply #5 on: Sun, 14 December 2014, 11:05:11 »
Designs are not subject to change, but if you're offended bug Ivan and he'll compromise
QFR | MJ2 TKL | "Bulgogiboard" (Keycon 104) | ctrl.alt x GON 60% | TGR Alice | Mira SE #29 | Mira SE #34 | Revo One | z | Keycult No. 1 | AIS65 | First CW87 prototype | Mech27v1 | Camp C225 | Duck Orion V1 | LZ CLS sxh | Geon Frog TKL | Hiney TKL One | Geon Glare TKL

"Everything is worse, but in a barely perceptible and indefinable way" -dollartacos, after I came back from a break | "Is Linkshine our Nixon?" -NAV | "Puddsy is the Puddsy of keebs" -ns90

Offline P3TC0CK

« Reply #6 on: Sun, 14 December 2014, 13:40:40 »
Designs are not subject to change, but if you're offended bug Ivan and he'll compromise

Posted in the thread. I'm not offended at all, I am Muslim (I don't really like the Star and Crescent but that's mostly for historical reasons) but a lot of Arabic speakers are not.
petcock
[pet-kok] 
noun

Offline Kira

• <3 <3 <3 <3
« Reply #7 on: Wed, 28 January 2015, 03:26:17 »
Also muslim here and I sure as hell ordered the arabic set from Ivan. I kinda like the crescent though xD

Offline hwood34

• underwater squad
  • * Exalted Elder
  • #1 CL stan
    • Keyboard Illuminati
« Reply #8 on: Wed, 28 January 2015, 06:41:31 »
Here's one on Ebay that's on the cheaper end.
IV KWK Info Thread & KBK Info Thread IV (out of date)

Old GBs: Gateron Switches (2015) | CF-LX R1 (2015) | CF-LX R2 (2017) | CF-LXXX (2017) | Gen.s Gem Caps (2015)

"Under no pretext should arms and ammunition be surrendered; any attempt to disarm the workers must be frustrated, by force if necessary"

Offline P3TC0CK

« Reply #9 on: Wed, 28 January 2015, 08:11:20 »

Nice find, I think I'll pick one up. Are these a knock-off buckling spring keyboard? Not familiar with the brand.

Also muslim here and I sure as hell ordered the arabic set from Ivan. I kinda like the crescent though xD

I'm Muslim as well, but I am ambivalent to the crescent star since it's really just a leftover from the Ottoman empire and some pre-Islamic traditions so it's a bit stereotypical. I'll buy a set or two if he adds the numbers though :)
« Last Edit: Wed, 28 January 2015, 08:15:03 by P3TC0CK »
petcock
[pet-kok] 
noun

Offline hwood34

• underwater squad
  • * Exalted Elder
  • #1 CL stan
    • Keyboard Illuminati
« Reply #10 on: Wed, 28 January 2015, 08:17:25 »

Nice find, I think I'll pick one up. Are these a knock-off buckling spring keyboard? Not familiar with the brand.
They're Cherry MX blues, though at that price either the seller doesn't know what he has or they're clones.
IV KWK Info Thread & KBK Info Thread IV (out of date)

Old GBs: Gateron Switches (2015) | CF-LX R1 (2015) | CF-LX R2 (2017) | CF-LXXX (2017) | Gen.s Gem Caps (2015)

"Under no pretext should arms and ammunition be surrendered; any attempt to disarm the workers must be frustrated, by force if necessary"

Offline Kira

• <3 <3 <3 <3
« Reply #11 on: Wed, 28 January 2015, 11:40:10 »

Great find! Just sent a message to the seller.

Offline P3TC0CK

« Reply #12 on: Wed, 28 January 2015, 14:06:05 »

They're Cherry MX blues, though at that price either the seller doesn't know what he has or they're clones.

Keyboard ordered. Delivered to my US address so you guys can expect a mini-review around march :)
petcock
[pet-kok] 
noun

Offline Photekq

• wheat flour zone
« Reply #13 on: Wed, 28 January 2015, 14:14:19 »
I'm fairly sure those are pad printed. I can't find the old thread on it though, so can't say for certain.
github

Offline nubbinator

• Dabbler Supreme
  • * Maker
  • Model M "connoisseur"
« Reply #14 on: Wed, 28 January 2015, 14:16:18 »
I'm fairly sure those are pad printed. I can't find the old thread on it though, so can't say for certain.

They are.  It was a deal I posted and kind of regret not grabbing.  They were originally like $25 shipped, then rocketed up to $50.  They had "vintage" Blues and were pad printed, at least the Arabic part was.

Offline Kira

• <3 <3 <3 <3
« Reply #15 on: Sun, 01 February 2015, 00:04:16 »

They are.  It was a deal I posted and kind of regret not grabbing.  They were originally like $25 shipped, then rocketed up to $50.  They had "vintage" Blues and were pad printed, at least the Arabic part was.

If only it was ANSI =/ DS/Dye-sub a bit too much to ask for I guess :P