Author Topic: Religion  (Read 108199 times)

Offline ch_123

• * Exalted Elder
Religion
« Reply #750 on: Mon, 06 September 2010, 12:06:46 »
Quote from: maclover;220403
if you seriously believe in fairies, santa clause, ghosts or god you should be put in a mental institution

I believe in Santa Claus longer than I believed in God - something to do with my love of quantifiable results.

Offline instantkamera

Religion
« Reply #751 on: Mon, 06 September 2010, 12:09:50 »
Quote from: ch_123;220411
I believe in Santa Claus longer than I believed in God - something to do with my love of quantifiable results.

Yeah. God should make with the free **** more often. AIDS, cancer and Microsoft Windows are the worst gifts EVAR!
Realforce 86UB - Razer Blackwidow - Dell AT101W - IBM model MCST  LtracX - Kensington Orbit - Logitech Trackman wheel opticalAMD PhenomII x6 - 16GB RAM - SSD - RAIDDell U2211H - Spyder3 - Eye One Display 2

Offline Konrad

Religion
« Reply #752 on: Mon, 06 September 2010, 12:17:32 »
Quote from: ch_123;220411

Results of misinterpreted beliefs. For example:
Quote from: The good and gentle townsfolk of Locker C, Grand Central Terminal
Pass it on to others, so that they too may be enlightened!
Reconcile your past in order to move to the future.
Be Kind. Rewind.

Two For One Every Wednesday.
Give twice as much as ye receive on our most sacred of days.
Every Wednesday.
« Last Edit: Mon, 06 September 2010, 12:25:11 by Konrad »

Offline Konrad

Religion
« Reply #753 on: Mon, 06 September 2010, 12:22:44 »
Hey.  That's not a piece of lego.

Offline Lanx

Religion
« Reply #754 on: Mon, 06 September 2010, 12:25:18 »
Quote from: Voixdelion;220389
Actually, it is my understanding that they neither worship Buddha nor pray to him.  Buddha didn't claim to be a God.  

Quote from: wellington1869;220390
voix this is an excellent point. Arguably buddhism (by the standards of monotheism anyway) is more a philosophy than a religion.

Ok i hate to pull out my "former buddhist member card" out but i will since all this is "i read in a book that buddhists are!!!, and all these comments are just theory" i prayed to a big fat obese buddha  every morning until i was 14. Of course buddha wasn't the only one there, he was sharing space at my family altar w/ a bunch of other gods that i can't translate into english, so i won't. This "idea" of buddhism that you all have from the comments your writing is an Americanized religious ideal. It is the same thing as Chinese takeout, Chinese takeout is not Chinese food, it is evolved Chinese food for the American palette, because it is what Chinese food takeout ppl have experimented with for 80 years (it's been around that long) and Americans are comfortable eating, just like this whole buddhist "philosophy" bs is what Americans conjured up cuz they do not understand buddhism.

Offline wellington1869

Religion
« Reply #755 on: Mon, 06 September 2010, 12:26:20 »
i met a japanese news anchor once, she anchored some tv show on a major japanese tv station (NK-something), and was really pretty (as might be expected). I was helping her translate her interview questions (she was about to interview  M. Night Shyamalamadingdong, actually) into English. So we went thru her questions (she politely rejected the question I proposed she ask him, which was "why do you make such crappy movies? are you insane, or just sadistic?")

So we went thru her questions and afterwards we were chatting (and naturally i was trying to gauge whether I had a snowball's chance in hell of getting into her pants) and we were talking about 'sixth sense' and so the conversation turned to ghosts.

Then all of a sudden she got all serious. "I saw a ghost" she said. And I laughed thinking she was joking or something but then I saw that she was in fact quite serious. She then told me, in the most matter-of-fact tone possible (like she was simply telling me a news story), about how when she was 9 years old she saw a ghost walk into her bedroom at night, then walk back out into the hallway, and that she saw this numerous times, and so did everyone else in her house, and that this kind of thing was a perfectly common occurence in japan, and seeing my disbelieving face (actually it was disappointment on my face, as it gradually dawned on me that this pretty lady was bat-**** crazy and I may not want to risk getting into her pants at this point even if it were possible), she then assured me that her grandmother and mother too had seen ghosts, and so had all her friends.

She was, in other words, completely and utterly convinced that ghosts were real, and the one or two dubious-sounding questions i asked made it clear that, if I said I didnt beleive in ghosts, it would be like saying I didnt believe in gravity. It was simply an option she wasnt going to handle well.

she was pretty though. and a famous newscaster too. oh well.
« Last Edit: Mon, 06 September 2010, 12:53:48 by wellington1869 »

"Blah blah blah grade school blah blah blah IBM PS/2s blah blah blah I like Model Ms." -- Kishy

using: ms 7000/Das 3

Offline wellington1869

Religion
« Reply #756 on: Mon, 06 September 2010, 12:27:23 »
Quote from: Lanx;220421
Ok i hate to pull out my "former buddhist member card" out but i will since all this is "i read in a book that buddhists are!!!, and all these comments are just theory" i prayed to a big fat obese buddha  every morning until i was 14. Of course buddha wasn't the only one there, he was sharing space at my family altar w/ a bunch of other gods that i can't translate into english, so i won't. This "idea" of buddhism that you all have from the comments your writing is an Americanized religious ideal. It is the same thing as Chinese takeout, Chinese takeout is not Chinese food, it is evolved Chinese food for the American palette, because it is what Chinese food takeout ppl have experimented with for 80 years (it's been around that long) and Americans are comfortable eating, just like this whole buddhist "philosophy" bs is what Americans conjured up cuz they do not understand buddhism.

well, arguably your 'praying' to the fat man was itself an american ideal imposed on him, hmmmmmmmmmmm?

I should make one emendation to my statement above, which is that, from what i've read, to be more accurate, buddhism didnt become a 'religion' in the western sense until it reached japan. From what i understand it was in japan that buddhism acquired the element of 'faith' that is more comparable to western notions of 'faith', and they do pray to him there. But in most of its career, from india to china and sri lanka, it was mainly seen as a philosophy rather than a religion in the western sense, they didnt pray to buddha, they saw him as a teacher like socrates.
« Last Edit: Mon, 06 September 2010, 12:31:46 by wellington1869 »

"Blah blah blah grade school blah blah blah IBM PS/2s blah blah blah I like Model Ms." -- Kishy

Offline Konrad

Religion
« Reply #757 on: Mon, 06 September 2010, 12:29:08 »
Who cares if she's bat-**** crazy? I mean as long as she's not a drooling gimp and you don't plan to have children, if she's hot she's hot (albeit a mental case).

[Edit]

You might want to consider taking precautions against getting bitten, I suppose.

Offline wellington1869

Religion
« Reply #758 on: Mon, 06 September 2010, 12:45:50 »
Quote from: Konrad;220426
Who cares if she's bat-**** crazy? I mean as long as she's not a drooling gimp and you don't plan to have children, if she's hot she's hot (albeit a mental case).

[Edit]

You might want to consider taking precautions against getting bitten, I suppose.

oh, she was hot. :) I mean the kind of hot you'd be proud to be seen with in public. Classy dresser too. Way out of my league, lol, but being a guy, naturally i assumed i must have had some kind of shot if I could just find the right hook ;)

Her ghost story did put a dent in my enthusiasm though. Couldnt respect her anymore after that, lol.

Offline Lanx

Religion
« Reply #759 on: Mon, 06 September 2010, 13:05:00 »
Quote from: wellington1869;220424
well, arguably your 'praying' to the fat man was itself an american ideal imposed on him, hmmmmmmmmmmm?

I should make one emendation to my statement above, which is that, from what i've read, to be more accurate, buddhism didnt become a 'religion' in the western sense until it reached japan. From what i understand it was in japan that buddhism acquired the element of 'faith' that is more comparable to western notions of 'faith', and they do pray to him there. But in most of its career, from india to china and sri lanka, it was mainly seen as a philosophy rather than a religion in the western sense, they didnt pray to buddha, they saw him as a teacher like socrates.

wow, i'm trying to tell you that from a Chinese perspective, you still have this buddhist religion/philosophy all wrong. Because to put it bluntly, your just reading ****, while i've lived with it.
I'm atheist now, I have been since i decided one day to stop praying to all those deities my mom told me to do since i could light a match(since you pray w/ incense). Chinese religion isn't classifiable, in these straight up, i'm a christian, while i'm a jew terms.
I can't explain the difference b/c if someone has grown up knowing someone can only be christian and can only be jewish, then they cannot understand how a real Chinese buddhist interacts w/ that religion/culture.
Sometimes you just have to admit that reading wiki, will not lead you to enlightenment.

Offline Konrad

Religion
« Reply #760 on: Mon, 06 September 2010, 13:09:55 »
You cannot reach enlightenment by reading what is never written.

I can accept that our Westernized conception of Buddhism (and Eastern philosophy in general) is all bassackwards ****ed up and probably oversimplified for easier digestion by the masses, fair enough, very plausible, you'll certainly get no argument from me about how stupid and ignorant people and societies can be; there's really no need to keep kicking the dead horse deeper into the dirt.

But please enlighten us, O Wise (former) Buddhist.

How can we know what it is that we do not understand? How is Buddhism different from what I expect you expect we expect it to be?
« Last Edit: Mon, 06 September 2010, 13:27:29 by Konrad »

Offline wellington1869

Religion
« Reply #761 on: Mon, 06 September 2010, 14:04:37 »
Quote from: Lanx;220448

Chinese religion isn't classifiable, in these straight up, i'm a christian, while i'm a jew terms.

i think thats exactly what we're saying about buddhism

Offline Konrad

Religion
« Reply #762 on: Mon, 06 September 2010, 14:28:31 »
Ah, well, I'm a Canadian.  I categorically know it's different from being an American in ways you Americans will simply never understand, even though I don't know what being an American is as well as an American would know.  So there's just no point in explaining Canadian to you.

Offline quadibloc

• Layout Fanatic
    • John Savard's Home Page
Religion
« Reply #763 on: Mon, 06 September 2010, 14:53:51 »
Quote from: Lanx;220448
Sometimes you just have to admit that reading wiki, will not lead you to enlightenment.
Yes, some people in parts of China will pray to Amida Buddha in much the same way that a Hindu would pray to Ganesh - all the while also believing in the ideals of Confucianism and the mysticism of Taoism.

But if you go to Japan, you will find another kind of Buddhism, Zen Buddhism. And in Vietnam and Tibet and Thailand, yet another kind of Buddhism, and perhaps in Sri Lanka, still another. (There's the Theravada/Mahayana divide, but that doesn't appear to be the whole story.)

The Western stereotype of Buddhism, while no doubt inaccurate, is not based on the beliefs you grew up with at all - it is based on Buddhism as it is practiced in other countries. While, no doubt, it still doesn't reflect their beliefs accurately, it's not quite as laughably bad as it would be if the Buddhism you knew was the only kind there is.

Even Hinduism is diverse. The Hare Krishna movement diverges from mainstream Hinduism slightly - but not enough to be appealing to many Westerners. But the Vedanta philosophy did attract many of the same sorts of people at one time as would find Buddhism appealing today.

Offline Lanx

Religion
« Reply #764 on: Mon, 06 September 2010, 15:57:05 »
^---
This is pretty much that, buddhism is different in many parts of the world. To me buddhism isn't as much a religion as it is now blended into Chinese beliefs. You mix some of this and some of that, just as quad laid out it's not a defined term.

Tho i do think the way Americans perceive it takes it to a different view, just like how Yoga has become a best seller on the wii fit.

Offline wellington1869

Religion
« Reply #765 on: Mon, 06 September 2010, 16:06:53 »
not to interleave conversations, but konrad, you asked once above, something along the lines of "In choosing between 'good muslims' and 'bad muslims', isnt the west inherently "imposing" its values on islam?" And I said something along the lines of "of course it is!" just as we do with any other religion like christianity or just as we do with any other violent phenomenon in our society or in the world; the values of coexistence are no longer 'optional' in today's world.

Christopher hitchens now says something exactly on these lines, I wonder what you'd say to him. He's simply an 'imperialist' and thats the end of the discussion?

Offline wellington1869

Religion
« Reply #766 on: Mon, 06 September 2010, 16:09:18 »
Quote from: Lanx;220496
^---
This is pretty much that, buddhism is different in many parts of the world. To me buddhism isn't as much a religion as it is now blended into Chinese beliefs. You mix some of this and some of that, just as quad laid out it's not a defined term.

Tho i do think the way Americans perceive it takes it to a different view, just like how Yoga has become a best seller on the wii fit.

well then lanx, i dont see where we disagree.

Offline Lanx

Religion
« Reply #767 on: Mon, 06 September 2010, 16:38:52 »
I guess it'd be to disagree on the classification of buddhism as a philosophy rather than a religion. It's a religion, it can't be classified as a philosophy because it seems to be "transcending" other areas of thought, when you have what ppl believe to be a philosophy say that if you do bad in this world, your gonna be a goat in the next afterlife, then that introduces consequences, dress it up as karma if you like, but i can't believe my friend's autistic kid really fcked someone over in his past life to deserve what he is now, thats not philosophy, thats religion.

Offline Voixdelion

Religion
« Reply #768 on: Mon, 06 September 2010, 16:47:06 »
Quote from: Konrad;220404
Worst $2 I ever spent.

wanna make a quick profit?  I'll buy that from you if you want... I'm intrigued as to the possibilities... You found that in a thrift store? In what country?
"The more you tolerate each other, the less enforcement will happen."-iMav

Offline Voixdelion

Religion
« Reply #769 on: Mon, 06 September 2010, 17:38:22 »
Quote from: Lanx;220508
I guess it'd be to disagree on the classification of buddhism as a philosophy rather than a religion. It's a religion, it can't be classified as a philosophy because it seems to be "transcending" other areas of thought, when you have what ppl believe to be a philosophy say that if you do bad in this world, your gonna be a goat in the next afterlife, then that introduces consequences, dress it up as karma if you like, but i can't believe my friend's autistic kid really fcked someone over in his past life to deserve what he is now, thats not philosophy, thats religion.

The philosophical lies here:  Why do you assume that the autistic kid is the negative state of being resulting from ****ing someone over?  My Dad once told me Buddhism can be distilled somewhat into the following "truths":

1) Suffering exists.
2) Suffering exists for a reason.
3) Identify the reason and it is possible to eliminate the suffering.

Oversimplified, certainly, but perhaps less so than you might think.  The difficulty is in properly identifying the reason, especially if you take "God's will" out of the equation.  The goal of becoming enlightened is to become free of the fetters that cloud our judgement of what we perceive so that we may see clearly what is and act accordingly, causing less disharmony with reality.  Also the concept of Karma is not solely relegated to ones personal missteps, but rather the cause and effect balance of reality in general, affecting not only ones personal karma but the karma of all reality in contact with it.
"The more you tolerate each other, the less enforcement will happen."-iMav

Offline quadibloc

• Layout Fanatic
Religion
« Reply #770 on: Mon, 06 September 2010, 18:37:05 »
Quote from: instantkamera;220410
Is there a CLAUS somewhere that states this?
No, there is no sanity clause!

Offline ch_123

• * Exalted Elder
Religion
« Reply #771 on: Mon, 06 September 2010, 18:40:13 »
Quote from: Voixdelion;220524
The philosophical lies here:  Why do you assume that the autistic kid is the negative state of being resulting from ****ing someone over?  My Dad once told me Buddhism can be distilled somewhat into the following "truths":

1) Suffering exists.
2) Suffering exists for a reason.
3) Identify the reason and it is possible to eliminate the suffering.

Oversimplified, certainly, but perhaps less so than you might think.  The difficulty is in properly identifying the reason, especially if you take "God's will" out of the equation.  The goal of becoming enlightened is to become free of the fetters that cloud our judgement of what we perceive so that we may see clearly what is and act accordingly, causing less disharmony with reality.  Also the concept of Karma is not solely relegated to ones personal missteps, but rather the cause and effect balance of reality in general, affecting not only ones personal karma but the karma of all reality in contact with it.

In that context, Karma is a bit like a diet caste system. Things like that originated with the aim of making the poor and downtrodden blame themselves for their own lot.

Religions are very good for keeping the uneducated in check for the benefit of the wealthy and powerful...

Offline wellington1869

Religion
« Reply #772 on: Mon, 06 September 2010, 19:22:16 »
Quote from: ch_123;220553
In that context, Karma is a bit like a diet caste system. Things like that originated with the aim of making the poor and downtrodden blame themselves for their own lot.

well not really in this case, hinduism (much like buddhism, confucianism, daoism, greco roman religions, and a whole lot of others) was actually just a diverse collection of philosophies, thoughts, sects, and writings which was retrospectively given the name 'hinduism'; there was no organized development to the religion (very different from christianity in that regard, all of these religions were different like that). Christianity on the other hand was from the beginning the result of a small group of highly motivated individuals creating a "system" very self conciously and institutionalizing that system very self conciously.

So you can argue that some ideas (whether karma or caste or whatever) had certain effects which were negative (they also had positive effects by the way), but its much harder to argue for "original intent" in these religions whose origins themselvse are so diverse.  

This is yet another difference from christianity which we keep projecting onto these other non-christian religions.

Religions are very good for keeping the uneducated in check for the benefit of the wealthy and powerful...

disagree. This is true in some cases and not in others. Even in christianity, early christianity had a powerful liberatory effect on the downtrodden actually. That was one of the reasons it spread so quickly back when it didnt have an enforcing arm to help it.
« Last Edit: Mon, 06 September 2010, 19:32:46 by wellington1869 »

Offline wellington1869

Religion
« Reply #773 on: Mon, 06 September 2010, 19:30:24 »
Quote from: Lanx;220508

well, i guess i disagree with you that philosophy cant talk about conseqeunces. Philosophy talks about consequences all the time. Even reincarnation (the concept you brought up above) is a philosophical view of the continuity of life and life force based on observation about birth and death all around us and the continuities that are apparent in those natural cycles.  Its a form of natural philosophy.

I think if we try to define either philosophy or religion too definitively we're going to get into trouble. THere's a lot of leakage between them. BUT - one thing christians for instance say to differentiate between their religion and natural philosophy, is the element of faith - ie, belief that, by definition, cannot be derived from observation of the natural world, but only by revelation from god. This is the differentiation that christians themselves hold to, to differentiate religion from philosophy.

And I kind of agree with them. Most OTHER religions dont hang their entire justification on such a definition of faith; most OTHER religions freely cross the line between philosophy and belief without feeling the need for an absolute separation, without feeling their religious/philosophy/way of life is in any way threatened by such crossings. This is what distinguishes much of christian thought from other religious thought in the world.

So i freely call buddhism a philosophy cuz buddhism never had any 'issues' with an absolute separation between philosophy and religion, and thru the career of buddhism across the ages, freely presented itself in many places as merely philosophy.  There was no crises as a result among buddhists.  Within christianity however, defining christian theology's relationship to the greco-roman natural philosohpers, was a huge part of the theological literature of chrstianity (from bede to augustine to aquinas to kant) precisely because being seen as derivable from nature created a "crisis' of christian authority (if it can be derived from nature, then why bother with revelation?).  However the different philosophers answerd this question, they took it on because it created a crisis of legitimacy in christianity.

Thats my point. Such genre crossing does NOT create a crisis of legitimacy in buddhism. THATs the significant difference here, not whether we choose to label it a philosophy or religon. Buddhism doesnt really care what we label it. There is no crisis that results.

Offline microsoft windows

• Blue Troll of Death
  • * Exalted Elder
  • President of geekhack.org
    • Get Internet Explorer 6
Religion
« Reply #774 on: Mon, 06 September 2010, 19:34:13 »
Quote from: Konrad;220396
Since we're talking zen ...

While recently looking for the latest Nuts&Volts at the local thrift store I purchased ZEN BLOCKS

Show Image

It didn't come with any English instructions, beyond a cryptic little paragraph on the back of the box which doesn't make any ****ing sense:

Should I meditate upon these rules until I am struck with an epiphany of Complete Understanding of the Harmonious Objective? Is that the whole point of this maddening game?

Or am I just the victim of bad translation? Or good translation by a babbling imbecile?

That Chinglish reminds me of probably the worst case of Chinglish ever: the nigger couch. Definitely not a good way to sell your products. Those Chinese better be careful with the translation programs!

He passed the blame to a Chinese company, but apologized for the labels. He said he would contact the furniture maker in Guangzhou and demand they remove all similar labels.

Moore said she's not sure she wants the sofa set in her home.

"Every time I sit on it, I'll think of that," she said.
« Last Edit: Mon, 06 September 2010, 19:40:15 by microsoft windows »
CLICK HERE!     OFFICIAL PRESIDENT OF GEEKHACK.ORG    MAKE AMERICA GREAT AGAIN MERRY CHRISTMAS

Offline microsoft windows

• Blue Troll of Death
  • * Exalted Elder
  • President of geekhack.org
    • Get Internet Explorer 6
Religion
« Reply #775 on: Mon, 06 September 2010, 19:43:16 »
I know if I called Islam a philosophy I'd get towelheads from the Middle East threatening to blow me up.
CLICK HERE!     OFFICIAL PRESIDENT OF GEEKHACK.ORG    MAKE AMERICA GREAT AGAIN MERRY CHRISTMAS

Offline wellington1869

Religion
« Reply #776 on: Mon, 06 September 2010, 19:46:51 »
Quote from: microsoft windows;220580
I know if I called Islam a philosophy I'd get towelheads from the Middle East threatening to blow me up.

exactly. this is what differentiates evangelical monotheism from every other historical religious form.

its not that other religions havent sometimes resulted in violence or oppression; its the particular form and terms of evangelical monotheisms' violences and oppressions that make it stand out so much. Its different from everything else in its intensity cuz it stakes its legitimacy itself on an absolute exclusion and on absolute revelation, therefore its forced to enforce that exclusion with an intensity that few other religions in history ever did (or had to do).

Again thats not to say all christianity or islam is like that either; i'm talking about evangelical forms only. They're the problem. Other forms of christianity and islam are simply not the same type of intense problem at all. Cuz they dont hang their self-legitimacy on such absolutes.

Offline Lanx

Religion
« Reply #777 on: Mon, 06 September 2010, 22:39:56 »
It's amazing to me how you can classify buddhism as a philosophy because it is on a higher class than religions such as christianity or islam. Either way, it is a religion, recognized as such by a few billion ppl who practice it as a religion and qualifies for tax free temples.

Offline wellington1869

Religion
« Reply #778 on: Mon, 06 September 2010, 23:10:47 »
Quote from: Lanx;220631
It's amazing to me how you can classify buddhism as a philosophy because it is on a higher class than religions such as christianity or islam. Either way, it is a religion, recognized as such by a few billion ppl who practice it as a religion and qualifies for tax free temples.

bro, its not "me" who is classifying buddhism as a philosophy for its first many centuries of existence. Any college level course will tell you the same and thats where I first heard that.  That notion has been reinforced in various books and textbooks as well. Its actually fairly widely talked about in those terms.

There's no doubt that in practice today it will more likely than not be categorized as a 'religion'. We're talking about its first thousand years of existence though, when it was seen as a philosophy in the sense that people didnt pray to buddha the way someone might pray to god or christ. Buddha had no power to intervene in your life, no power to grant you gifts, nor did he ever claim to have any such powers. The only thing you could look to the buddha for, was an example, like you might look to socrates, or to read how he went about his thought process, the way you might read about how socrates went about his thought process.

Thats just a fact, its a biographical fact of the buddhas life and its a historical fact of what happened to early buddhism.
« Last Edit: Mon, 06 September 2010, 23:44:37 by wellington1869 »

Offline wellington1869

Religion
« Reply #779 on: Mon, 06 September 2010, 23:30:18 »
btw, this phenomenon of 'late classification as a religion' isnt limited to buddhism.  Of "hinduisms" 6 major philosophical schools, 2 are expressly athiestic/materialist, they deny gods existence. We still refer to them as part of hindu "religion". The others could just as well be classified as natural philosophies (indeed, buddhism drew upon early vedanta (the upanishads) directly, and later vedanta (sankara's era in the middle ages) in turn drew from buddhism). The line between philosophy and religion was easily crossed in the pre-modern era, especially if no one cared about those specific designations with a modernist's eye on identity conflict. What we do with these classifications in our era is very different from how the ancients did it.

What we mean when we say 'hinduism' therefore has little to do with the "texts" that hinduism has produced over the millenia. It has a lot more to do with forms of popular culture and visible worship -- which vary enormously by region and their production was not 'orchestrated' across the whole of india (there was no pope, there was no vatican, there was no heirarchical temple structure, there was no single revelatory text). What there was, was sects and ashrams and groups of like minded gurus doing their thing often quite differently from each other. In other words: a variety of philosophers and their schools. The notion that 'hinduism' needs to be organized by text and instittuion is a very modern idea (19th century under the british really, tho some movements towards it began under the mughals (17th and 18th centuries) and islamic attempts to understand hinduism along the lines of islamic organization). A host of 'syncretic' religions (the most prominent of which is Sikhism) between hinduism and islam also dates to this period.  But this is recent; dont forget the vedas are usually dated to pre-1000 bc.  What we recognize as hinduism today is very old and it grew very organically for most of its development.

The most sustained attempt before the modern era to understand hinduism as a system was made by sankara in the 700s ad, and since then most systemic hindu thought is a series of enduring commentaries on his original work. But his school of thought was still one among about 6 major schools and countless minor schools all of which were fully legitimate parts of the tapestry. This is probably why the system he tried to find in the diversity of hindu thought and practice was: that everyone describes reality from their point of view. In pointing this out, he is basically describing the state of affairs around him, the diversity of thought and practice around him.  This wasnt relativism - for everyone is describing the different aspects of the same shared reality, and so on the one hand their views were equally valid; on the other hand, this also binds them to be tolerant of others views too, being equally valid. It also binds them towards working to see the bigger picture. And it also means there is some testability built into these descriptions, based on our experiences with reality.  (Remember the tale of the blind men and the elephant? Its an allegory that sums up this approach quite well). This concept is called Sadhana in hindu philosophy and its ramifications were huge because it legitimized pluralism without falling into relativism or anarchy. In other words, diversity of thought and practice was legitimate so long as people recognized we all share the same space. If they dont share their world, well thats what kings are for, and that defined the warrior's legitimate social role. (Hindu kingship (in theory) thus was a fairly libertarian affair by modern standards, with his primary role being that of trust buster. The king could not force you to worship in any particular way: that would go against his sworn duty).  It also is part of the explanation of why India became a refuge for people of all religions fleeing persecution at home (the zoroastrians, jews, christians, and even muslim sects and sufis fleeing sunni persecution, all found homes in india and all thrived). Even the ones that came to conquer could stay so long as they too became trust-busting kings. The ones that came and tried to convert everyone to their One True Way - well, they ran into trouble.

Its no surprise then, that in the latest iteration of vedanta -- i'm referring to Gandhi's work -- gandhi looks directly to sankara's school of philosophy for its obvious modern pluralistic compatibility and applications. Sankara in turn looked to buddhism; buddhism in its day looked to the upanishads, the upanishads looked to the vedas. Everyone borrowed from everyone freely.  

But thats my point: notions about what defines religion vs philosophy, and religion vs religion, are relatively recent developments on the timescale of these religions.  You're talking about the state of affairs today; i'm talking about the timeline.
« Last Edit: Thu, 09 September 2010, 23:59:56 by wellington1869 »

Offline Konrad

Religion
« Reply #780 on: Thu, 09 September 2010, 01:30:46 »
Here's a nice seven-course helping of delicious troll food.

Quote from: wellington1869
... when you said "arent we imposing a distinction between 'good muslim' and 'bad muslim'", i hear that line so much on campus from 'well meaning liberals'. I assume you're in college :) Of course we're making such a distinction, why wouldnt we? Dont we make the same distinction when we adjudicate other types of violent cases in our society? Dont we make the same distinction when we talk about christianity or any other religion?

I don't believe your "well meaning liberals" label particularly applies to me, since
1) while you've already accused me of suffering from various failings you'd associate with bleeding-heart liberal leftists, you've also accused me failings commonly associated with fascist, communist, socialist, and *gasp* Republican mindsets, and
2) I don't think we understand the word "liberal" itself in the same context. The word liberal carries many meanings, Liberal in a political sense includes plenty of additional meanings, Liberal in America rarely equates with Liberal in Canada.

My college/university days are long behind me, and even then I was an engineering nerd; I [strike]got drunk and partied a lot and sometimes got laid[/strike] applied myself diligently to my studies. Except for cute flirty chicks with dumb surveys, I tended to avoid the poly-sci and yearbook and media geeks as much as possible, and I spent more time in the labs surrounded by obsolete technology and greasy computer nerds than I'd really like to admit. I always attended a campus in my own city; never did the classic dorm/frat stuff (which is mostly imported Asians hereabouts anyhow, so I probably wouldn't fit in well and couldn't afford it anyhow); Canadian institutes aren't quite as sports-enamoured as the stereotypical American ones; all the big jocks who want to slide through college with scholarships and get picked up by the scouts - at least those with sufficient athletic talent to have any real hope - attend American colleges where the rewards in the celebrity money game are much higher. The classic American college (or at least what I expect it would be, based on how it's represented in American movies) is not what you see, or at least not what I saw, in Canada. Even our school pranks (responsibility of the applied sciences faculty) were of an entirely different flavour; no mascot-stealing or defacing of the football/basketball team here. Similar comparisons can be seen with political-centric activism and leanings ... maybe the softies who studied icky Humanities would be into that sort of thing, but it's not at all a driving force which flavours the main student body. Perhaps the bewildering number of international students contributed to the unspoken rule that the stigma of political controversy wasn't standard conversation material, perhaps it's just that my particular corner of academia was blind and immune to it.

fwiw, I am (by choice) generally disinterested and not well-informed in matters of Canadian policy and politics, and even less interested/informed in matters of foreign (including American) policy. I am also what would be labelled atheist (although agnostic might be a technically accurate term simply because, like any other "disciple of the scientific method" I would have to accept any proven and validated proof of god's existence presented by science, though I'm unworried since that's not something I've yet seen or ever expect to see). Whatever pro-christian bias I might express (outside of occassional deliberately provocative sarcastic snipes) is only the result of - mistakenly? - identifying parallels between the practitioners of all religions with those I've personally seen demonstrated by christian believers. And - as you hint - being the product of a society which is strongly shaped and permeated at all levels by a deeply embedded pro-christian bias.

As to your question about assigning "good muslim"/"bad muslim" role labels ...

I think "bad muslims" are an archetype; partly composed of true elements, partly drawn from exaggerated expectations, partly derived as a visible and easily identifiable face for "the enemy" ... in short, "bad muslims" certainly do and must exist but are far more a media creation than real people. "good muslims" are just the natural counterpoint, since people who consider themselves more-enlightened need to be able to look "beyond" oversimplified images acceptable only for easy digestion by the (somewhat stupid, ignorant, and uncaring) masses. As a point of interest, I note that "evil muslims" might be fanatical, insane, suicidal, driven by hate ... but they're not stupid, at least not the successful ones who are able to outsmart their targets ... I seriously doubt they'd advertise themselves with the cartoon-character appearance that "America" expects to see, except perhaps for their underground propaganda or hostage-beheading videos and similar cameo appearances. Again, fwiw, I believe that this cartoon character (evil american, evil muslim*) is naturally associated with a racist identity, one that automatically assumes complicity on the "other side" based to a large degree on their racial/ethnic origins. The turban-wearing sikhs who move next door are distrusted and encounter hostility in American (or even Canadian) suburbs just as much as English-speaking "white people" do in the Arabian deserts - I find it hard to accept this isn't a racist distinction. The only difference in degree is that fewer people shoot at each other over this conflict in the west as they do in the mid-east. I've heard caucasians use slurs like camel jockey, dune coon, hadji, muzzie, raghead, and sand nigger, just to name a few, and I've heard a lot of derogatory comments of a racial nature; I imagine that Arabs and muslims use plenty of slurs to describe their uninvited guests as well. ****ty and stupid, but you can't possibly say racism doesn't exist, especially when you talk to people who've been there.

* Before I get flamed for this (again), yes of course I know that "Muslim" and "Islam" aren't countries on a map, it's a ****ing religion; a religion practiced in many countries which themselves contain populations that practice many religions. I used it above as a one-word generalization for real countries like Iraq, Iran, Afghan, Etcetera-stan - we all know who America is fighting at least as well as the American military and media machines do - and we all know that America is not the only western power in this "war", but many other nations (including Canada) are there getting blood on their hands as well - and we all remember 9/11, it's not like anyone has never heard of it or seen the aftermath. I hate to generalize, but I hate to type three sentences worth of battlegrounds and graveyards out for precision when making this sort of point. I'm literally guilty here of the same "us/them" label practice I'm trying to condemn, partly as an example, partly as a lazy convenience. My previous attempts to state this (many posts ago) asserted my position strongly and I'll admit they could've been less offensively worded. Still, my observation is that this a real problem that is very valid. To blanket the flames a little more, I'm not racist (outside of some bad-taste colourful jokes), but I'm not blind either and I can see racism being expressed around me in society. Blatant racism (skinheads and KKK) are easy to spot, but more subtle discrimination (hiring policies and social groupings) are just as ignorant, retarded, and prejudiced; what I'm trying to say is that I see a little of both extremes happening today with this "religious" flavouring of racism, it's just that the most obvious examples aren't really so obvious because for the most part it happens in faraway deserts instead of "at home". Then again, see what happens to muslim travellers who get continuously mugged and humiliated by "random" security checks while walking through an airport.

Muslims certainly exist, so fanatical "evil muslims" must also exist. They're just a convenient villain to heap blame upon, whether they're actually guilty (as they sometimes are) or they're innocent (which they sometimes are). Every hero needs an adversary. Batman, Austin Powers, and Luke Skywalker wouldn't look so buff if all they ever did was break up schoolyard fights, plus they'd be out a job; they have a hard time justifying the need to purchase expensive new weapons, toys, gadgets, and lightsabers to their wives. So, too, I believe of the mightiest militaries in the western world. And, on the other side of the coin, even the villainized military powers which constitute the "axis of terror" ... everybody justifies themselves as the hero, no matter how morally ambiguous (or outright vile) their methods might be ... it's always easy to accept that your enemy has somehow "forced" you into vile atrocities and morally uncomfortable actions, no matter who you are or what you believe or how or why you fight.

Likewise, christians also certainly exist, and so "evil christians" must as well. Fanatical Evil (or Misguided, if you prefer) christians are capable of - and occassionally commit - vile atrocities in the name of their religion as well. It's a real shame that few people (christian, muslim, or otherwise) are able to truly become enlightened and self-aware enough to see their own faults before judging others. I've known christians who are guilty of this form of prejudice and arrogance, perhaps it's a common trait among christians, perhaps it's equally common among muslims, perhaps it's just common to all humanity and religion doesn't have any impact beyond providing another criteria for selecting who the "good" and "bad" guys are.

Atheists, and therefore "evil atheists" also exist. Perhaps my anti-religious bias has a profound effect on my passing judgement upon religious peoples, perhaps I see religious wars where there really aren't any. I'd like to think I'm not wrong, but then again so would any other atheist or christian or muslim person you ask.

Start burning copies of the qoran? That's ****ing dumb. Next you'll see islamics burning copies of the bible in retaliation. Then everyone (christian or not) will rally against this unacceptable insult, more conflict, more hate, more bodies. After a while it'll be easy to forget that the evil bible-burners were provoked into this outrage. But, hey, if you wanna sully patriotism with these dirty-fighting religious sucker punches then go ahead and pick another endless war against the billion or so "children of islam" who live on our planet. An excellent way to keep the economy of weapons manufacturing going strong; the US/NATO militaries have a lot of cool research into futuristic high technology devices and platforms going on, gotta be proactive to sustain all that expensive funding.

As to equating religious and political agendas ... it's something that's unavoidable. Been done throughout history. Early christians were persecuted by the Romans. Early muslims were persecuted by the christians. Gypsies and even jews are still actively persecuted in many otherwise civilized and developed countries. And of course there's always something interesting happening in communist China where government and religious dictates are endless intertangled. (Interesting to note that if you believe current events are an expression of christian-vs-muslim religious war, as I do at least in part, then 9/11 would be the first such religious war in history which has claimed victims outside the endless crusades across the blood-soaked deserts of the middle east.) Personally I don't think it's any country's right or damned business to impose a new religion on any other country without invitation or (otherwise) unanimous agreement among the other infinitely wise governments of the world. Something about borders and laws. Does this mean I support parochial backwardness and primitive practices? Good god, no! The candle burns at both ends; imposing western imperialism on the peoples of the the middle east who suffer under their barbaric religious laws is just as evil as imposing, say, atheist communism onto the USA or England to rescue all those blindly ignorant christians who suffer under the yokes of their horny catholic priests. (Hmmm, I did mention in a previous post that I feel religion - especially monotheism worshipping the manly bronze age sky god - is a pervasive evil which keeps the modern world straddling history with one leg stepping forward and the other firmly stuck in the sticky smelly mire of the dark ages.)

Does this mean that all christians hate all muslims and all muslims hate all christians? Of course not. Today's conflicts in the deserts are being waged by governments not churches, though the distinction (to me) seems to become quite blurry when one side's governments are pervaded by deeply entrenched pro-christian bias and the other side's governments are blatantly islamic instruments of power.

Religious intolerance is something like racial discrimination; it won't ever entirely disappear, it can't even attempt to do so unless/until it's outlawed. Let's hope that mankind doesn't drag his hate-mongering gods along to the stars.

Having said all that ... comment and argue as you will, denounce or disagree or defy or point out where I'm ****ing wrong (just please quote sparingly) ... but I won't respond to angry attackers who apparently don't bother to actually read what's been said. This ain't no shock-radio or Jerry Springer show.
« Last Edit: Fri, 10 September 2010, 03:32:46 by Konrad »

Offline quadibloc

• Layout Fanatic
Religion
« Reply #781 on: Thu, 09 September 2010, 05:14:01 »
Muslims won't be burning copies of the Bible, for the same reason Christians don't burn copies of the Old Testament.

I'm still against this particular gesture. What would any Muslim learn from it? Why wouldn't he just assume that it's being done for reasons of bigotry and hate?

Since Muhammad took two Jewish women as his wives by enslaving them after their husbands were slaughtered, though, I am going to resent being asked to be respectful towards Muhammad - particularly if it's at the point of a gun.

I think someone should make a movie about these women, to bring them to life as real people - so that we can see the kind of appalling cruelty that is being implicitly condoned by those who would claim that Muhammad is God's Prophet. Rather than an empty gesture, this would make it clear why we have a hard time showing them as much respect as they might like.

Offline ch_123

• * Exalted Elder
Religion
« Reply #782 on: Thu, 09 September 2010, 05:22:50 »
Next you'll see islamics burning copies of the bible in retaliation.

The difference is that only hicks care about bibles being burned. I'll buy a beer for any Muslim who burns a bible. A ham sandwich too.
« Last Edit: Thu, 09 September 2010, 05:25:51 by ch_123 »

Offline Konrad

Religion
« Reply #783 on: Thu, 09 September 2010, 06:16:53 »
Well, once again what's the point of claiming this isn't a "religious war" when the american public is also urged (by a christian religious leader) to burn copies of the qoran on the anniversary of 9/11 ... that would be like the jews celebrating the anniversary of hitler's death by burning copies of Mein Kampf or something (which they might actually do for all I know, I dunno, I'm not jewish).

You say that muslims won't retaliate ... I hope you're right. Maybe only the "evil" muslims who are lurking and hating in secrecy will be drawn out of the woodwork by the irresistable insult to their faith, and once the climax of jihad bombings and spree killings is spent, the world will enjoy a golden age of peace and harmony. Sadly, I'm convinced the armies of the sky god are too powerful.

Humanizing the plight of women suffering under sharia, hijab, hot burkas, and all that ... an interesting notion. It would build bridges, a concept which I support, which I suspect people in power (in the media at least) wouldn't particularly want to explore.
« Last Edit: Thu, 09 September 2010, 06:24:47 by Konrad »

Offline wellington1869

Religion
« Reply #784 on: Thu, 09 September 2010, 12:00:11 »
1. I want to thank konrad for the delicious troll food, though i'll reply to that long post in a bit, but wanted to get some quick thoughts out here.

2. Its not a religious war.  To say its a religious war is to reduce all the complex motives and interests on both sides, which go so far beyond religion, to just religion, and well thats seems pretty silly. Just because some lunatic outcast pastor in florida takes the opportunity for melodrama, doesnt mean HE has defined the entire war and its meaning.

3. Mayor bloomberg defended the quran burnings, by the way. Does this mean he's an islamophobe and that this is a religious war? Of course not. Bloomberg is also defending the building of the mosque at ground zero (against 70% of new yorkers). The reason he is defending the quran burnings is on the same grounds that he's defending building the mosque: free speech.

4. I happen to agree with bloomberg that on the grounds of free speech the lunatic pastor can do anything he wants so long as he doesnt chop heads off. Burn books and look like a fool? go for it - its a free country.

5. Muslims cant handle their books being burned and will react violently? Thats not the pastors fault -- muslims are responsible for their own violent behaviour.  yesterday the evil imam was on larry king and said basically that muslim world would 'erupt in violence' if mosque isnt built. Sorry, but that would be the muslims fault, not the fault of new yorkers, if muslims 'erupt in violence' over this mosque not being built. In effect, the imam issued a veiled threat to new york (build this mosque or we will get violent). Since when does a democracy start scaling back its free speech out of a threat of violence? Not this country, I hope.

Offline Konrad

Religion
« Reply #785 on: Thu, 09 September 2010, 12:29:17 »
Quote from: wellington1869
1. I want to thank konrad for the delicious troll food, though i'll reply to that long post in a bit ...
I don't know why I do this to myself. Really. I hardly give a **** about politics and religion, I just come here to talk keyboards with hot chicks.

welly, you almost make this all sound .. civil. I remember a time (not too many posts ago) when things seemed more like

(random #1) "I think blahblahblah islam blahblahblah Kennedy"
(random #2) "No, no, it's blahblahblah, blahblahblah"
(welly) "STFU ya whiney beyotchs blahblahblah kennedy supports sharia!"
(ripster) "here's a funny picture of a lego suicide bomber"
(welly) "blahblahblah so you think 9/11 is good? BLAHBLAHblahblahblah"
(random #1) "blahblahblah? "
(welly) "yeah! blahblahblah! haha blahblah! blahblahblah-(6 pages)-blahblahblah! blahblah!"
(random #2) "where's my mommy?"
(welly) 'quote random #1 sez blahblah' no, wrong because blahblahblahblah, quote 'random #1 sez blah' aha blahblah-(3 pages)-blah"
(ripster) "here's a youtube video of a creepy fat guy in spandex"
... etc ...
« Last Edit: Thu, 09 September 2010, 12:38:08 by Konrad »

Offline wellington1869

Religion
« Reply #786 on: Thu, 09 September 2010, 12:35:35 »
Quote from: Konrad;221268
I just come here to talk keyboards with hot chicks.

lol, well you've definitely come to the wrong forum ;)

welly, you almost make this all sound .. civil.

dont get me wrong, i still think you're a fascist of some kind ;-D even if just accidentally, from holding wrong-headed but "well-intentioned" views ;)

Offline Konrad

Religion
« Reply #787 on: Thu, 09 September 2010, 12:42:21 »
Quote from: wellington1869;221269
lol, well you've definitely come to the wrong forum ;)
Yeah, I'd already realized that a while back. Where's all those hot chicks the internet promised me, eh? Lies, all lies.

(Ripster, I'm tellin' you, I just don't wanna see any hot chicks made out of lego)

Offline itlnstln

Religion
« Reply #788 on: Thu, 09 September 2010, 12:59:15 »
Looks like Wilma Flinstone with her hair down.

Offline Konrad

Religion
« Reply #789 on: Thu, 09 September 2010, 13:01:21 »
Grrrrr* looks like a death warrant.
* Notice the "behind the barn" or "pistols at dawn" tone of voice in Grrrrr.

Besides, she looks kinda chunky.

Offline wellington1869

Religion
« Reply #790 on: Thu, 09 September 2010, 13:06:41 »
Quote from: quadibloc;221165

I think someone should make a movie about these women, to bring them to life as real people - so that we can see the kind of appalling cruelty that is being implicitly condoned by those who would claim that Muhammad is God's Prophet. Rather than an empty gesture, this would make it clear why we have a hard time showing them as much respect as they might like.

i was watching 'the sorrow and the pity' last nite (4 hour documentary on nazi-occupied france, profiling french collaborators and french resisters).

It occurred to me that, there are so many, many movies about muslims that are going to be made, in the future. So many documentaries like that one, so many historical stories, so much guilt to feel, so much soul searching to do, on the part of the contemporary muslim community, so many hard questions for the muslim middle classes who remained silent, all along the lines of what we demanded from -- and got -- from germans and japanese for instance after wwii, or even from british and american colonial eras.  All those same questions and demands will be coming for muslims. Not yet obviously, but in next 100 years definitely, there is going to be hell to pay, and it will be decent-minded muslims themselves who will take their own communities to task, just as decent minded westerners did, decent minded frenchmen did (sorry and pity was made by a frenchman), decent minded germans did, etc.  The reckoning will come and it will be a tidalwave in islam.  Movies (historical and documentaries) will be a huge part of it.

Offline Konrad

Religion
« Reply #791 on: Thu, 09 September 2010, 13:17:01 »
I've recently seen at least three different videos (on GH *coughripstercough*) with the same creepy fat guy wearing the same spandex and dancing to the same song.

It looks like a fairly serious bit of aerobic workout. Why hasn't this guy lost any weight?

Offline quadibloc

• Layout Fanatic
Religion
« Reply #792 on: Thu, 09 September 2010, 14:10:18 »
Quote from: Konrad;221291
It looks like a fairly serious bit of aerobic workout. Why hasn't this guy lost any weight?
Maybe he will eventually, if he does that workout more than once, repeating it on a regular basis, without keeling over from a heart attack.

But he won't lose more weight simply because of the number of views his video gets. :)

Offline Konrad

Religion
« Reply #793 on: Thu, 09 September 2010, 14:26:52 »
Explain that to rip

Offline Oranjoose

Religion
« Reply #794 on: Thu, 09 September 2010, 15:38:52 »
Excellent post Konrad (the long one on the last page).

I don't expect many to side with me, but I'll say it anyway.
It's getting pretty tired to see people today presume to know
precise details about exactly how events more than 1000 years
ago went down, especially when the history is based off of shaky
accounts written down usually over a hundred years after the
events happened, and of those writings, most of it was lost and
re-found multiple times by different people over the centuries.
This time, I'm referring to pretending to know the exact circumstances
of Muhammad's marriages.
There isn't much we actually know for certain, however, we do know
that at that time, marriages were often done to form political
alliances and to create peace within the communities.
We also know that upon the marriage of these women he "enslaved,"
hundreds of captives of their tribes were freed, and that this
form of diplomacy was very effective in establishing peace among
the Arabic communities.

EDIT: Ripster, I believe that's Iraq's national flag, but the text should
be green, right?
« Last Edit: Thu, 09 September 2010, 15:45:53 by Oranjoose »

Offline wellington1869

Religion
« Reply #795 on: Thu, 09 September 2010, 16:15:38 »
konrad, how does it make you feel that oranjoos is the type of person you're attracting? :)

Offline ch_123

• * Exalted Elder
Religion
« Reply #796 on: Thu, 09 September 2010, 16:17:00 »
That text looks green to me.

Offline quadibloc

• Layout Fanatic
Religion
« Reply #797 on: Thu, 09 September 2010, 16:18:14 »

Offline Oranjoose

Religion
« Reply #798 on: Thu, 09 September 2010, 16:38:43 »
Quote from: quadibloc;221350
Just saw this news item:

http://www.montrealgazette.com/news/burning+cancelled+Ground+Zero+mosque+will+moved/3500632/story.html

We can all breathe a sigh of relief.

I think the aftermath will be interesting. What about all the disappointed
people out there?
Just looking at his face (as if that is an accurate determiner), Jones never
looked like he wanted to do it, but what about all the people at the Church
who were fired up and ready? What about all the people around the country
who've been waiting for an excuse to fulfill their hateful fantasies?
What about the people in foreign countries waiting for a justification to
retaliate?
I think how people will react will certainly be telling of the true motives
behind their actions in the coming days.

Offline J888www

Religion
« Reply #799 on: Thu, 09 September 2010, 17:10:19 »
My opinion is that Terry Jones suffers from Münchausen Syndrome, he doesn't really wish to burn those books, he only wanted others to know he may burn those books. If Jones had piled all those Qur'an and set it alight with himself at the centre of this bonfire, now that would make interesting News.

Spineless Terry Jones with feeble mind.
« Last Edit: Thu, 09 September 2010, 17:15:24 by J888www »
Often outspoken, please forgive any cause for offense.
Thank you all in GH for reading.

Keyboards & Pointing Devices :-
[/FONT]One Too Many[/COLOR]