Author Topic: Lube Question  (Read 3884 times)

Offline Sygaldry

• Edema Ruh
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • All the truth in the world is held in stories.
Lube Question
« on: Wed, 24 December 2014, 20:52:31 »
So I want to kill the spacebar rattle on my HHKB. If I hit the spacebar hard enough (which seems to happen no matter how hard I try not to) the right stabilizer of makes a loud clacking noise which I am almost certain is plastic hitting plastic in the stabilizer.

I'm almost certain that a bit of thick lube will remedy this problem though and was wondering what kind of lube I should be using. I already have Mech Lube 1 and 2 from EK on order but it seems that everyone is saying that Krytox is better (costs three times as much as well). Will it even make a difference what lube I use for the stabilizers?

I've seen people warn against Super Lube and silicon based lubes but there really isn't much information on EK's lubricant offerings other than the simple, "it works."

I need to know whether I should just suck it up and pay for the Krytox lube and cancel the EK order or if using EK's Mechlube will be fine. I ordered a MechLube 2 kit just in case I decide to lube the sliders on my Type-S when I open it up but if Krytox is that much better, then maybe I should cancel the order and use some sort of Krytox light formulation.
null

Offline strict

• TKL Zealot
Re: Lube Question
« Reply #1 on: Thu, 25 December 2014, 00:54:07 »
While I do think Krytox is a better lubricant all-around I don't think it's worth the extra cost for something like stabilizers. I would sincerely doubt anyone could tell the difference between the two even in a side by side comparison. The EK Mechlube should work just fine to quiet down a rattling stabilzer.

Realforce EK45 (Silenced)  |  Realforce 87UW (45g)  |  Realforce 87UWS (Variable)
Filco MJ2 TKL (Cherry Clears)  |  Phantom 87 (78g Gateron Clears)  |  Phantom 86 (67g Zealios)

Offline SavvyBird

• Savvy Caps
« Reply #2 on: Thu, 25 December 2014, 01:05:21 »
 :)) :)) :))

Just had too
hi

Offline Sygaldry

• Edema Ruh
  • * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #3 on: Thu, 25 December 2014, 01:27:21 »
null

Offline Defect

• I collect keyboards and keyboard accessories
« Reply #4 on: Thu, 25 December 2014, 06:27:54 »
I use silicone grease for my stabs (and even some of my switches).

Great stuff, really cheap too.

Not pictured: KeyCool 84 [MX Red] | Focus 2001 [Complicated White Alps]
Endgame Board | Defect's Watermelon Board Build Doc

Offline spiceBar

• ChessTiger.com
« Reply #5 on: Thu, 25 December 2014, 16:01:54 »
So I want to kill the spacebar rattle on my HHKB. If I hit the spacebar hard enough (which seems to happen no matter how hard I try not to) the right stabilizer of makes a loud clacking noise which I am almost certain is plastic hitting plastic in the stabilizer.

I'm almost certain that a bit of thick lube will remedy this problem though and was wondering what kind of lube I should be using. I already have Mech Lube 1 and 2 from EK on order but it seems that everyone is saying that Krytox is better (costs three times as much as well). Will it even make a difference what lube I use for the stabilizers?

I've seen people warn against Super Lube and silicon based lubes but there really isn't much information on EK's lubricant offerings other than the simple, "it works."

I need to know whether I should just suck it up and pay for the Krytox lube and cancel the EK order or if using EK's Mechlube will be fine. I ordered a MechLube 2 kit just in case I decide to lube the sliders on my Type-S when I open it up but if Krytox is that much better, then maybe I should cancel the order and use some sort of Krytox light formulation.

The thickest EK mechlube will work fine for the stabilizer. I don't see why you would need a more expensive lube for this.

None of the EK mechlube should be used to lube Topre sliders. Both of them are too thick and would ruin your switches. Just don't.

I use low viscosity (very liquid) silicon oil on Topre sliders. I cannot tell if Krytox would be better here.

Anyway, I have not seen or felt any difference after lubing my Topre sliders, because they are already lubed at the factory. You may not need any lube for the sliders, unless you manipulate them heavily with your hands, so much that your remove the lube. But you are probably not going to do that: you already have a Type-S, so why would you completely disassemble your HHKB and mess with the switches?

Offline Sygaldry

• Edema Ruh
  • * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #6 on: Sun, 04 January 2015, 11:42:14 »
So it looks like my Mechlube 1 and 2 orders were lost in the mail or stolen from my mailbox.

I'll be trying to get this resolved by contacting USPS and EK but I guess I will be looking for another source of lube/grease...

I need something that will arrive quickly and since TechKeys is located in Chicago I'd probably get it next day. Has anyone tried Krytox Very Thick lube on Topre stabilizers?
null

Offline strict

• TKL Zealot
« Reply #7 on: Sun, 04 January 2015, 17:11:24 »
So it looks like my Mechlube 1 and 2 orders were lost in the mail or stolen from my mailbox.

I'll be trying to get this resolved by contacting USPS and EK but I guess I will be looking for another source of lube/grease...

I need something that will arrive quickly and since TechKeys is located in Chicago I'd probably get it next day. Has anyone tried Krytox Very Thick lube on Topre stabilizers?

I have the Extra Thick on the sliders and stabs on my Realforce and couldn't be happier with it. My stabs wires are totally silent now. You definitely dont want to skimp out on the amount you use. I did the first time and ended up pulling mine back apart to apply more because I could still detect some rattling.

Realforce EK45 (Silenced)  |  Realforce 87UW (45g)  |  Realforce 87UWS (Variable)
Filco MJ2 TKL (Cherry Clears)  |  Phantom 87 (78g Gateron Clears)  |  Phantom 86 (67g Zealios)

Offline spiceBar

• ChessTiger.com
« Reply #8 on: Tue, 06 January 2015, 22:13:48 »

I have the Extra Thick on the sliders and stabs on my Realforce and couldn't be happier with it. My stabs wires are totally silent now. You definitely dont want to skimp out on the amount you use. I did the first time and ended up pulling mine back apart to apply more because I could still detect some rattling.

On sliders???

Which sliders are you talking about?

Offline strict

• TKL Zealot
« Reply #9 on: Wed, 07 January 2015, 11:01:54 »
On sliders???

The Topre plungers that the keys press into, sometimes called stems or sliders

https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=49741.0

Offline Sygaldry

• Edema Ruh
  • * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #10 on: Wed, 07 January 2015, 17:03:12 »
Just an update:

I just applied Krytox (super thick mixture) to my HHKB spacebar stabilizers - I just squirted copious amounts into the holes - and that nasty sound went away almost immediately! My Type-S is now completely perfect. No Topre fart/whistling and no spacebar clack or stabilizer rattle  ;D

So incredibly happy with the results (will probably do the same to the Realforce 87u I'm getting in the mail tomorrow).  :thumb: :thumb: :thumb:
« Last Edit: Wed, 07 January 2015, 17:08:39 by Sygaldry »
null

Offline spiceBar

• ChessTiger.com
« Reply #11 on: Wed, 07 January 2015, 18:14:26 »
On sliders???

The Topre plungers that the keys press into, sometimes called stems or sliders

https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=49741.0

Mmh... OK, thank you. I'll to try that, with great caution.

I usually use very liquid silicon oil on this part of the switch, and also on the inside of the large round hole where the slider goes. I would not use thick grease there: tried this once and it was a disaster, had to disassemble the keyboard and undo it.

But medium-thickness grease only on the part of the switch where the slider's legs go sounds more reasonable.

Offline sorijealut

• steam
« Reply #12 on: Wed, 07 January 2015, 20:23:46 »
I've been reading you guys about HHKB lubing,

I have this lube here handy atm: Finish Line Extreme

Would you recommend it for lubing the stabs? Do I need to take the board apart to lube the stabs?

Offline strict

• TKL Zealot
« Reply #13 on: Wed, 07 January 2015, 21:04:24 »

Would you recommend it for lubing the stabs? Do I need to take the board apart to lube the stabs?

I've used Finish Line Extreme Flouro in the past but stopped because it seemed to dry out and get crumbly and messy. I've been using either thick or extra thick Krytox blends on my stabs and haven't had any issues with it drying out or negatively impacting the feel of the switch. The EK MechLube also seems to get really good reviews.

You will have to disassemble your HHKB to lube the stabilizers. The wires and plastic channels you'll want to lubricate will be between the PCB and the top of the case.

Offline sorijealut

• steam
« Reply #14 on: Wed, 07 January 2015, 22:29:02 »

I've used Finish Line Extreme Flouro in the past but stopped because it seemed to dry out and get crumbly and messy. I've been using either thick or extra thick Krytox blends on my stabs and haven't had any issues with it drying out or negatively impacting the feel of the switch. The EK MechLube also seems to get really good reviews.

You will have to disassemble your HHKB to lube the stabilizers. The wires and plastic channels you'll want to lubricate will be between the PCB and the top of the case.

Ah.. OK. Yeah I've noticed it's not thick at all, and it goes away like some thin grease.
Notes taken, appreciate the help! I will try either the Krytox or MechLube :)