Author Topic: Wanting to upgrade out of my standard K70...  (Read 2600 times)

Offline willc

Wanting to upgrade out of my standard K70...
« on: Sat, 27 December 2014, 12:55:23 »
I bought a Corsair K70 the day it was released, and have been using it every day. It has Cherry MX Reds, and I really like them although I wish there was a little bit more tactility on the keypress; oftentimes I am double questioning myself hitting keys when I'm at pace, so I double type... Now you guys are probably going to hate me for this, but I have been putting so many cold cathodes and LED's in my tower + I have a Naga Epic Chroma so I am looking for a RGB flavour board, or at the very least one with reactive lighting effects.

I just tried the new Kailh switch Blackwidow Chroma because I can't find any Corsair RGB's anywhere ( :'( )and hated the keyboard design; the tactility of the keys was nice, but it didn't quite lend the same ability to just mash on the keys that the reds do since they were so clicky.  I'm normally a 140+ WPM typer consistent when I get in my zone on my typing tests, but on that Razer I could barely break 100 because of the dumb lip and wrist-wrest design on the board.

So I guess, what do you recommend in terms of a professional looking keyboard, that has RGB/reactive lighting, and a slightly more tactile switch than the Cherry MX Reds. I'm guessing that would be a Cherry MX Brown? I've never used one before, but I do not like the Cherry MX Blues. I really, really want a Corsair K95 RGB in MX Browns but I don't really see that happening any  time soon due to stocking issues.

Offline Snowdog993

• Grace Under Pressure
  • Justifiably Clueless.

Offline Puddsy

• nice
  • * Elated Elder
  • "Do you shovel to survive, or survive to shovel?"
Re: Wanting to upgrade out of my standard K70...
« Reply #2 on: Sat, 27 December 2014, 13:03:17 »
At that speed, MX Brown's will just feel like reds. You'll want clears. You can get some clear stems and put them into whatver keyboard you want. I think that whichever corsair RGB board you want will be fine If you do that.
QFR | MJ2 TKL | "Bulgogiboard" (Keycon 104) | ctrl.alt x GON 60% | TGR Alice | Mira SE #29 | Mira SE #34 | Revo One | z | Keycult No. 1 | First CW87 prototype | Mech27v1 | Camp C225 | Duck Orion V1 | LZ CLS sxh | Geon Frog TKL | Hiney TKL One | Geon Glare TKL

"Everything is worse, but in a barely perceptible and indefinable way" -dollartacos, after I came back from a break | "Is Linkshine our Nixon?" -NAV | "Puddsy is the Puddsy of keebs" -ns90

Offline dimmu

« Reply #3 on: Sat, 27 December 2014, 13:06:34 »
checkout ducky shine 4 or ducky shine 3 for something more minimalist. the led isn't as great as corsair but the overall keyboard quality is much better.

Offline willc

« Reply #4 on: Sat, 27 December 2014, 13:08:23 »
I don't really want Rosewill  ;)

I want waves/reactive lighting, profiles, and macro keys. I also really would like the Cherry MX, if for nothing else but pedigree but I guess that leaves me with just Corsair because of exclusive distribution. I am tempted to get the Rosewill 1000w PSU with the light up cables though, only Rosewill product I've ever contemplated.

Offline Puddsy

• nice
  • * Elated Elder
« Reply #5 on: Sat, 27 December 2014, 13:09:50 »
Yeah, if that's what you want you're stuck with the corsair boards.
QFR | MJ2 TKL | "Bulgogiboard" (Keycon 104) | ctrl.alt x GON 60% | TGR Alice | Mira SE #29 | Mira SE #34 | Revo One | z | Keycult No. 1 | First CW87 prototype | Mech27v1 | Camp C225 | Duck Orion V1 | LZ CLS sxh | Geon Frog TKL | Hiney TKL One | Geon Glare TKL

"Everything is worse, but in a barely perceptible and indefinable way" -dollartacos, after I came back from a break | "Is Linkshine our Nixon?" -NAV | "Puddsy is the Puddsy of keebs" -ns90

Offline Snowdog993

• Grace Under Pressure
  • Justifiably Clueless.
« Reply #6 on: Sat, 27 December 2014, 13:11:51 »
Sorry about that.  I read what you posted and thought it might be what you want.  Rosewill DOES offer other switches with their keyboards, and perhaps they can build a special one with the switch you want.  I don't know.  I like the RK-9000 the best of them all, but I like full keyboards.

Offline willc

« Reply #7 on: Sat, 27 December 2014, 13:17:55 »
Sorry about that.  I read what you posted and thought it might be what you want.  Rosewill DOES offer other switches with their keyboards, and perhaps they can build a special one with the switch you want.

Don't apologize, you're helping me! Manufacturers will actually produce one-off's for consumers? I never really even considered that as being a viable route to take, only have a few hundred at most to spend on any keyboard I buy though

Offline willc

« Reply #8 on: Sat, 27 December 2014, 13:23:20 »
So are the clears inbetween Browns & Blues then?

Offline hwood34

• underwater squad
  • * Exalted Elder
  • #1 CL stan
    • Keyboard Illuminati
« Reply #9 on: Sat, 27 December 2014, 13:25:01 »
So are the clears inbetween Browns & Blues then?
Well, clears are the same weight as blues, and both are heavier than browns. But clears seem like they would be a good route to go in your case
IV KWK Info Thread & KBK Info Thread IV (out of date)

Old GBs: Gateron Switches (2015) | CF-LX R1 (2015) | CF-LX R2 (2017) | CF-LXXX (2017) | Gen.s Gem Caps (2015)

"Under no pretext should arms and ammunition be surrendered; any attempt to disarm the workers must be frustrated, by force if necessary"

Offline Snowdog993

• Grace Under Pressure
  • Justifiably Clueless.
« Reply #10 on: Sat, 27 December 2014, 13:30:47 »
I know Rosewill does offer the RK-9000 in four flavors at least.  I am sure if enough requests come in, maybe they will do the same for the RGB-80.

http://www.rosewill.com/products/ProductCompare.aspx?p1=1611&p2=1810&p3=1809&p4=1811

Offline willc

« Reply #11 on: Sat, 27 December 2014, 13:31:14 »
So, if I were to preorder one right now, I should get the Brown K95 RGB and when it comes switch the stems for clears? I'm completely new to modding keyboards, so I'm not sure of the ramifications of that change. The spring weight and everything remains the same when you switch the stem, right? What exactly would the clear stem swap do?

I like the weight and everything of the Reds, they just activate before they bottom out, the only thing I'd want to change would be the ability to feel the key move past its actuation point as I feel like that would make me a bit faster. Don't necessarily want anything heavier, I guess? Maybe a little less clicky than the blues, but with the weight and responsiveness of the reds. Thank you for all the help by the way, I very much appreciate it!

Offline hwood34

• underwater squad
  • * Exalted Elder
  • #1 CL stan
    • Keyboard Illuminati
« Reply #12 on: Sat, 27 December 2014, 13:34:46 »
Well, that board has plate mounted switches. So to able to remove the switch tops to swap the stems, you'd need to first desolder the switches themselves, which isn't to hard once you get the hang of it. You could also get one of the many people here who mod boards to do it for you, most of whom do it pretty cheaply

Old GBs: Gateron Switches (2015) | CF-LX R1 (2015) | CF-LX R2 (2017) | CF-LXXX (2017) | Gen.s Gem Caps (2015)

"Under no pretext should arms and ammunition be surrendered; any attempt to disarm the workers must be frustrated, by force if necessary"

Offline willc

« Reply #13 on: Sat, 27 December 2014, 13:38:22 »
Are the switches easy to pop off once you desolder it, or is it the kind of thing you'd need two people or a helping hand for? I'm comfortable soldering, I made guitar pedals for awhile & I'm doing ECE, had my fair share of arm-burns lol

Is there any guide to seeing how different mod's like that, spring weight (replacement even?) etc would affect how the keys work, so I can get to work designing my perfect board?

Offline Puddsy

• nice
  • * Elated Elder
« Reply #14 on: Sat, 27 December 2014, 13:41:32 »
Stem swap is easy. Just eats time if you've never done it before.

Offline hwood34

• underwater squad
  • * Exalted Elder
  • #1 CL stan
    • Keyboard Illuminati
« Reply #15 on: Sat, 27 December 2014, 13:42:16 »
Are the switches easy to pop off once you desolder it, or is it the kind of thing you'd need two people or a helping hand for? I'm comfortable soldering, I made guitar pedals for awhile & I'm doing ECE, had my fair share of arm-burns lol

Is there any guide to seeing how different mod's like that, spring weight (replacement even?) etc would affect how the keys work, so I can get to work designing my perfect board?
I know there's at least one guide on here about making a switch top remover out of a binder clip. You can also mess around with using two flat-head screw drivers to pry it open.

edit: thanks tactical, I'm an idiot
« Last Edit: Sat, 27 December 2014, 13:45:09 by hwood34 »

Offline Puddsy

• nice
  • * Elated Elder
« Reply #16 on: Sat, 27 December 2014, 13:43:25 »
Binder clip.

I did it with my house key.

Offline willc

« Reply #17 on: Tue, 30 December 2014, 13:42:21 »
What about the Logitech G910 Orion Spark?