Author Topic: In your opinion, what is the best spring weight for Ergo Clears  (Read 7568 times)

Offline Bromono

• Wanabe Cicerone
  • * Destiny Supporter
  • HHKB > Your Opinion
In your opinion, what is the best spring weight for Ergo Clears
« on: Sun, 04 January 2015, 14:04:23 »
Will be making some soon. Want to know what is the most popular Korean spring weight used to make them.

Offline Flyersfan1

• * Destiny Supporter
  • Hi!
Re: In your opinion, what is the best spring weight for Ergo Clears
« Reply #1 on: Sun, 04 January 2015, 14:05:33 »
62g
Quote from: Photekq
i know people who think salt is spicy

Offline DrHubblePhD

• I am star stuff
  • Location: Observable Universe, Virgo Supercluster, Local Group, Milky Way Galaxy, Solar System, Planet Earth
« Reply #2 on: Sun, 04 January 2015, 14:06:04 »
Will be making some soon. Want to know what is the most popular Korean spring weight used to make them.

I think ergo clear is specifically mx brown springs, but the most popular weight is probable 62g or 65g

Offline slickmamba

« Reply #3 on: Sun, 04 January 2015, 14:10:07 »
62g is the most common for sure.  I have tried 65 and 60 as well.  60 is nice, but gets a little sticky/sluggish(I haven't lubed yet so who knows)  65 was really nice too.  It all comes down to preference. 
Hi :)

Offline nubbinator

• Dabbler Supreme
  • * Maker
  • Model M "connoisseur"
« Reply #4 on: Sun, 04 January 2015, 14:11:18 »
67-68g is perfect to me and 70g is okay, but not as nice.  65g is nice if you prefer a little lighter.  62g still may need some lube in my experience, but should be fine after the switches are smoother from breaking in.  55g is too light.

Offline jdcarpe

• * Curator
  • Live long, and prosper.
« Reply #5 on: Sun, 04 January 2015, 14:15:24 »
Traditionally, ergo clears used the light springs from browns/reds/blues, which by Korean measurement would be 60g. But the new gold standard that most people use now that other options are available, is the 62g Korean spring.
KMAC :: LZ-GH :: WASD CODE :: WASD v2 :: GH60 :: Alps64 :: JD45 :: IBM Model M :: IBM 4704 "Pingmaster"

http://jd40.info :: http://jd45.info

in memoriam

"When I was a kid, I used to take things apart and never put them back together."

Offline Bromono

• Wanabe Cicerone
  • * Destiny Supporter
  • HHKB > Your Opinion
« Reply #6 on: Sun, 04 January 2015, 14:22:12 »
I am probably going to lean to 65g. Sounds like the perfect weight from what nuberator was saying. Also where is the best place to buy switch stickers. I am aware of originative but they seem to be shady lately.

Offline jdcarpe

• * Curator
« Reply #7 on: Sun, 04 January 2015, 14:25:25 »
I am probably going to lean to 65g. Sounds like the perfect weight from what nuberator was saying. Also where is the best place to buy switch stickers. I am aware of originative but they seem to be shady lately.

Try techkeys.us. They seem to stock them, at least last I checked.

I save my 65g springs for linears, since that's my favorite switch of all. :)
KMAC :: LZ-GH :: WASD CODE :: WASD v2 :: GH60 :: Alps64 :: JD45 :: IBM Model M :: IBM 4704 "Pingmaster"

in memoriam

"When I was a kid, I used to take things apart and never put them back together."

Offline Defect

• I collect keyboards and keyboard accessories
« Reply #8 on: Sun, 04 January 2015, 14:31:12 »
65-68g.

62g is most popular.  Not my favorite though.

Not pictured: KeyCool 84 [MX Red] | Focus 2001 [Complicated White Alps]
Endgame Board | Defect's Watermelon Board Build Doc

Offline Oobly

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #9 on: Sun, 04 January 2015, 14:52:58 »
I love 62g, but with worn in and lubed switches I think I could enjoy 55 to 60g even more. Personal taste, really. I don't like heavy switches and feel that lighter springs enhance the tactility more.

An interesting aside is that although I'm not a big fan of linear switches I find 62g to be my favourite variant (between Brown springs, 62g, Black springs and Clear springs). Also, I prefer linears WITHOUT orings / trampolines, but like to use them with tactile switches.
Buying more keycaps,
it really hacks my wallet,
but I must have them.

Offline nubbinator

• Dabbler Supreme
  • * Maker
  • Model M "connoisseur"
« Reply #10 on: Sun, 04 January 2015, 15:11:06 »
I love 62g, but with worn in and lubed switches I think I could enjoy 55 to 60g even more. Personal taste, really. I don't like heavy switches and feel that lighter springs enhance the tactility more.

It really is preference.  I feel anything under 62g really starts to make them feel terrible.  They're too tactile and feel more wobbly and inconsistent to me with a lighter spring.  The slight catch on the return also makes them completely unpleasant to me since they lag a little.

Offline Sygaldry

• Edema Ruh
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • All the truth in the world is held in stories.
« Reply #11 on: Sun, 04 January 2015, 15:26:51 »
Without lube, the 62g kind of get caught on the upstroke. Lubed 62g does feel great though. This was my MX switch of preference before trying 50-55g Vintage Blacks.

In the end, I'm a Topre guy after all and won't be considering anything else  :thumb:
null

Offline GL1TCH3D

• Audiophile, tea lover and now keyboard hugger!
« Reply #12 on: Sun, 04 January 2015, 17:47:04 »
I can't use anything that's heavier than 60g. Even then 60g is pushinbg it for me.

I was using mx blacks 62g lubed and it still felt too heavy for me. Right now I'm using 55g ergo clears lubed

Offline dorkvader

• all about the "hack" in "geekhack"
« Reply #13 on: Sun, 04 January 2015, 22:48:29 »
Traditionally, ergo clears used the light springs from browns/reds/blues, which by Korean measurement would be 60g. But the new gold standard that most people use now that other options are available, is the 62g Korean spring.

sometimes they don't return on stabilized keys though "normal" keys have always been fine for me. 62g return on stabilized keys that I've tried. Now I recommend 62-665g on stabilized keys and 60-62g on normal though you can go lower with proper lubrication.

Offline demik

• Pronounced "demique"
« Reply #14 on: Sun, 04 January 2015, 22:50:36 »
the trash
No, he’s not around. How that sound to ya? Jot it down.

Offline frosty

• jukebox hero
« Reply #15 on: Mon, 05 January 2015, 07:26:26 »
Will try 65g but for now 62g on my Poker with ergo-clears feel nice :)

Offline jdcarpe

• * Curator
« Reply #16 on: Mon, 05 January 2015, 09:52:23 »
Will try 65g but for now 62g on my Poker with ergo-clears feel nice :)

You probably won't be able to feel a difference of 3g. If you have something that works for you, go with it! :)

in memoriam

Offline strict

• TKL Zealot
« Reply #17 on: Mon, 05 January 2015, 10:09:56 »
I tried 60g, 62g, 65g, 68g, 72g, and 78g springs in my clears. I liked the 78g the best but I tend to prefer heavier switches. If I weren't going to go with 78g I would definitely go for the 62g. That weight provided the most tactility and least amount of sluggish returns. I didn't like the 60g or 65g nearly as much. 65g felt like it numbed down the tactile bump slightly more than the 62g. 60g gave me a few switches that were sluggish to return. All my tests were done with unlubed switches.

Realforce EK45 (Silenced)  |  Realforce 87UW (45g)  |  Realforce 87UWS (Variable)
Filco MJ2 TKL (Cherry Clears)  |  Phantom 87 (78g Gateron Clears)  |  Phantom 86 (67g Zealios)

Offline jdcarpe

• * Curator
« Reply #18 on: Mon, 05 January 2015, 11:09:50 »
I tried 60g, 62g, 65g, 68g, 72g, and 78g springs in my clears. I liked the 78g the best but I tend to prefer heavier switches. If I weren't going to go with 78g I would definitely go for the 62g. That weight provided the most tactility and least amount of sluggish returns. I didn't like the 60g or 65g nearly as much. 65g felt like it numbed down the tactile bump slightly more than the 62g. 60g gave me a few switches that were sluggish to return. All my tests were done with unlubed switches.

I really like the 85g gold springs in my clears. I lubed them, of course, and have a full size Filco done with those.

in memoriam

Offline pichu23

• ୧༼ಠ益ಠ༽୨ FITE ME
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • ʕ ͡·ᴥ ͡· ʔ
« Reply #19 on: Mon, 05 January 2015, 11:14:17 »
I'm using 62g on my clears. Lubed them as well. Feels really nice to type on compared to stock. :D
Collection(s) : Ducky Shine 2 TKL x Poker II x 62g FaceW x 62g Gateron Black GON NerD TKL x 65g Z GON NerD 60

Offline jamster

« Reply #20 on: Tue, 06 January 2015, 06:37:35 »

A couple of questions related to this topic from a new forum member.

First of all, do spring-modified clears feel noticeably different from Browns? I have tried Browns in stores and don't care much for them, as they feel fairly linear and 'dead' (my preference is IBM BS but I can't use them for noise these days).

Secondly, where can you buy replacement springs anyway? I'm assuming there are online sources as stores around here (that cater to mechanical keyboards) don't carry them.

Offline strict

• TKL Zealot
« Reply #21 on: Tue, 06 January 2015, 08:27:43 »

A couple of questions related to this topic from a new forum member.

First of all, do spring-modified clears feel noticeably different from Browns? I have tried Browns in stores and don't care much for them, as they feel fairly linear and 'dead' (my preference is IBM BS but I can't use them for noise these days).

Secondly, where can you buy replacement springs anyway? I'm assuming there are online sources as stores around here (that cater to mechanical keyboards) don't carry them.

Clears feel very different than browns across the board. The tactile bump on browns feel like a red switch with dirt caught in it whereas the tactile bump on clears is much more pronounced and feels intentional, not like a molding defect or like its dirty. Using lighter springs will increase this tactility even further.

I think Sprit is still selling springs with weighting all the way from 50g to 120g.  https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=55888.0

Realforce EK45 (Silenced)  |  Realforce 87UW (45g)  |  Realforce 87UWS (Variable)
Filco MJ2 TKL (Cherry Clears)  |  Phantom 87 (78g Gateron Clears)  |  Phantom 86 (67g Zealios)

Offline jamster

« Reply #22 on: Tue, 06 January 2015, 09:41:41 »
Clears feel very different than browns across the board. The tactile bump on browns feel like a red switch with dirt caught in it whereas the tactile bump on clears is much more pronounced and feels intentional, not like a molding defect or like its dirty. Using lighter springs will increase this tactility even further.

I think Sprit is still selling springs with weighting all the way from 50g to 120g.  https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=55888.0

Thanks for that info, especially the link.

I found a KUL with clears today and was impressed with how solid it felt. There was not as distinct a bump as I'd hoped for, but given that my benchmark for an actuation point is a buckling spring, I was probably a little unrealistic in my expectations. I'll probably pick up the keyboard tomorrow and try the stock springs for week.

Offline jamster

« Reply #23 on: Wed, 07 January 2015, 11:08:24 »
So I bought a KUL with clears today, and just before ordering a load of replacement springs and some lube, thought I'd try popping out one switch just to try it.

And discovered the difference between PCB and plate mounted switches, i.e. I can't change springs without desoldering every bloody switch!

Oh well, guess I'm sticking with unmodified switches then. Still, I prefer the clears over any other Cherry switch so I guess I'm ahead.

Offline Blackehart

• Booty Aficionado Extraordinaire
« Reply #24 on: Wed, 07 January 2015, 15:23:21 »
78g gold!

Offline jacobolus

« Reply #25 on: Wed, 07 January 2015, 16:35:55 »
And discovered the difference between PCB and plate mounted switches, i.e. I can't change springs without desoldering every bloody switch! Oh well, guess I'm sticking with unmodified switches then.
Desoldering and resoldering takes substantially less time than lubing the switches. I’d say at worst you spend an extra 30% more time than if you had PCB-mounted switches. Of course, if you don’t have easy access to a soldering iron, that could be a problem.

Offline Bromono

• Wanabe Cicerone
  • * Destiny Supporter
  • HHKB > Your Opinion
« Reply #26 on: Sat, 10 January 2015, 14:33:55 »
i have heard that ergo clears are the closest switch to torpe. what weight would be close to what torpe has?

Offline asgeirtj

« Reply #27 on: Sat, 10 January 2015, 15:33:33 »
55g is my favorite :), haven't tried 57g or 58,5 though.
Leopold FC900 w/ 67g Purple Zealios - Silver Duck Octagon w/ 62 Purple Zealios

Offline nubbinator

• Dabbler Supreme
  • * Maker
  • Model M "connoisseur"
« Reply #28 on: Sat, 10 January 2015, 18:42:18 »
i have heard that ergo clears are the closest switch to torpe. what weight would be close to what torpe has?

Orange Alps are closer.

Offline spiceBar

• ChessTiger.com
« Reply #29 on: Sat, 10 January 2015, 20:39:13 »
I'm totally humbled by all the Jedi fingers in here, who are able to feel the difference between 60 and 62g.

What is the nominal tolerance on these springs, again?

Offline sethk_

• Grand Master Wizard Pizza
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • www.kbdhub.com
    • My webstore
« Reply #30 on: Sat, 10 January 2015, 20:56:33 »
I like my 62g sprit springs a lot.

Offline jamster

« Reply #31 on: Sun, 18 January 2015, 08:13:38 »
Desoldering and resoldering takes substantially less time than lubing the switches. I’d say at worst you spend an extra 30% more time than if you had PCB-mounted switches. Of course, if you don’t have easy access to a soldering iron, that could be a problem.

Ah, I almost wish you hadn't written that ;)  I have now dithered on this for a week and decided to go ahead and order some springs and will get a decent soldering station and desolderer. I can imagine this turning into a complete time and possibly money sink as I am cack-handed when it comes to soldering!

Offline bueller

• MX baller
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • Church of the Ergo Clear
« Reply #32 on: Sun, 18 January 2015, 08:16:17 »
I've tried brown & black springs along with the 62g koreans that I'm using now and the 62's are by far my favourite. The browns didn't stick but I felt like they took a bit longer to get past the clear bump, blacks I didn't like at all as they were too heavy.
It's a good width!  If it's half-width it's too narrow, and full-width is too wide. 

[WTT] bueller's trade thread - CLACKS WANTED

Offline Oobly

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #33 on: Sun, 18 January 2015, 13:12:01 »
I've tried brown & black springs along with the 62g koreans that I'm using now and the 62's are by far my favourite. The browns didn't stick but I felt like they took a bit longer to get past the clear bump, blacks I didn't like at all as they were too heavy.

I agree with you on Black springs being to heavy. I don't really get the appeal of either Panda Clears (Clears with Black springs) or Ghost Blacks (Blacks with Clear springs). I find both too heavy and found 62g springs to feel the best with either stems. IMHO, Cherry light springs are too light and their heavy springs are too heavy.
Buying more keycaps,
it really hacks my wallet,
but I must have them.