Author Topic: Are Topre boards really mechanical keyboards?  (Read 31262 times)

Offline fuzzybaffy

Re: Are Topre boards really mechanical keyboards?
« Reply #50 on: Thu, 15 January 2015, 06:39:31 »
Yea... I don't know. It seems to me the only people who care about whether or not Topre switches can be classified as "mechanical", are those who want to trash Topre switches, so they can say "HA HA! Topre switches aren't REAL mechanical switches! So that must mean they suck!!!" (To clarify, I'm not talking about the OP himself, but the people he wants to convince that Topre switches are mechanical).

Like other people said. It doesn't matter. Whether or not it should be classified "mechanical" doesn't actually change the switch - you use it if you like it, or you don't if you don't.

And I say this as someone who keeps waffling between a Topre board, and Cherry MX boards.
« Last Edit: Thu, 15 January 2015, 06:48:53 by fuzzybaffy »

Offline Dihedral

• Mostly Harmless
« Reply #51 on: Fri, 16 January 2015, 13:26:59 »
Key switches are so varied that I think mechanical has quite frankly become a term to mean high-quality. I mean, technically the collapse of a rubber dome is a mechanical process. What we need is a term used to refer to keyboards with individual modules under each key - although you could argue 'mechanical' fulfils this role, it hardly seems logical to use it in this context. I can't however think of an appropriate term to reflect this.

Offline Findecanor

« Reply #52 on: Fri, 16 January 2015, 14:56:20 »
Technically, every kind of key switch that has one or more moving parts is "mechanical".

However, when people talk about "mechanical" keyboard switches they often refer to the feel of them provided by the metal spring inside. The metal spring provides most of the resistance and the force/displacement curve on the key press is therefore completely or in part linear.
Topre does not fulfil that criteria because most of the resistance is created by a rubber dome - and like all rubber domes it gives S-shaped force/displacement curves.
Topre does however have two other properties that people also connect with "mechanical keyboards" (but which are not compulsory for key switches with metal springs): actuation somewhere in the middle, and a distinct feel when bottoming out.
« Last Edit: Fri, 16 January 2015, 14:59:11 by Findecanor »
🍉

Offline Macsmasher

« Reply #53 on: Fri, 16 January 2015, 17:17:12 »
Findecanor has provided the most logical arguments so far in this thread. The definition of 'mechanical' has evolved over the years. While a more modern word might be warranted, the word mechanical has been established and is here to stay. Similar to how offset keys were originally needed to accommodate the bars on typewriters, but the layout was well established when computer keyboards came into existence and is still the most prevalent layout used today.

His most compelling point is about the actuation at mid keystroke. This is what really defines a mech keyboard IMO. The switch construction and components is a grey area, which is why there are differing opinions about Topre being mechanical. But because actuation is basically the same as a 'traditional' mechanical board, it's hard not to classify Topre as mechanical.

Another important characteristic of mechanical keyboards is long life. Topre now rates their switches at 60m keystrokes, which is higher than Cherry MX's 50m.

Offline tbc

« Reply #54 on: Fri, 16 January 2015, 23:23:04 »
do all highend keyboards actuate BEFORE bottom out?  topre, mx, and BS do (or at least bs feels like it does...).  what's the story with alps and hall effect?

scissors switches and membranes can ONLY actuate on bottomout?

am i correct in all of that?
ALL zombros wanted:  dead or undead or dead-dead.

Offline jacobolus

« Reply #55 on: Fri, 16 January 2015, 23:38:37 »
Most keyswitches actuate sometime before the bottom of the stroke. The important thing though is that switches very reliably actuate when pressed past their tactile point. Some types rubber dome / rubber sleeve switches (e.g. most scissor switches) are fine in this regard, because after the dome buckles it very reliably actuates the switch.

The problematic keyboards are the $10 type that you need to forcefully mash the key all the way down and then it still sometimes fails to actuate: such switches are great at causing or exacerbating RSI.

Lots of cheap keypads on things like microwaves, garage door control pads, cheap telephones and calculators, etc. have switches that you need to press multiple times to get to actuate, which makes them incredibly frustrating.

Offline dante

« Reply #56 on: Sat, 17 January 2015, 00:15:08 »
As a fan of membrane keyboards I'd say no... Topre is definitely crap.

Offline RoflCopter4

« Reply #57 on: Sat, 17 January 2015, 02:27:39 »
I don't know what is so difficult to understand about the fact that "mechanical keyboard" has become a term whose meaning is not made up of the sum of its parts.
Acer KB-101A with Blue Alps | HHKB Pro 2 | '85 122 Key IBM Model F | '86 1390131 "Silver Label" Model M | AEK M0115 with Orange Alps | Focus FK-2001 White Alps | Chicony 5181 with SMK "Monterey Blue" Switches | Dell AT101W | Unicomp "Ultra Classic" | Razer Blackwidow 2013

Offline Daniel Beardsmore

• RIP
    • Boring twaddle
« Reply #58 on: Sat, 17 January 2015, 07:15:50 »
Given the choice, I'd go for something along the lines of:

"Mechanical" — involves linkages or parts that move in a different direction to the keystroke, so this includes the Ducky 1000 series (perpendicular movement of the leaves), but excludes Topre, Hall effect, magnetic valve etc (pretty much anything with optical or semi solid-state sensing doesn't count)

"High-end" — keyboards built with long-term reliability as a primary goal, along with quality of construction — this covers Topre, Micro Switch, Filco etc but excludes the Ducky 1000 series; I wouldn't count the Cherry G80-3000 either as they're reliable but flimsy, and they're comparatively cheap (of course, the number of Filco problems, and their keycaps, makes their position dubious at best)

I find no logic in trying to group together almost everything on the planet that isn't rubber dome over membrane and spring over membrane. "Mechanical" is too much of a blanket term, and "mechanical" keyboards for many of us have proved less reliable and more disappointing than cheap rubber domes — LED failure, soldering failure, switch failure, controller failure, short keycap legend lifetime, and keycap failure. Bog standard Dell rubber domes from the likes of NMB and Silitek feel horrible but they last forever.

The term "mechanical" doesn't equate with "quality" or "worth buying".
Bore Awards
Most Boring Person on the Planet – 2011 Winner

Offline Dihedral

• Mostly Harmless
« Reply #59 on: Sat, 17 January 2015, 07:51:04 »
Given the choice, I'd go for something along the lines of:

"Mechanical" — involves linkages or parts that move in a different direction to the keystroke, so this includes the Ducky 1000 series (perpendicular movement of the leaves), but excludes Topre, Hall effect, magnetic valve etc (pretty much anything with optical or semi solid-state sensing doesn't count)

"High-end" — keyboards built with long-term reliability as a primary goal, along with quality of construction — this covers Topre, Micro Switch, Filco etc but excludes the Ducky 1000 series; I wouldn't count the Cherry G80-3000 either as they're reliable but flimsy, and they're comparatively cheap (of course, the number of Filco problems, and their keycaps, makes their position dubious at best)

I find no logic in trying to group together almost everything on the planet that isn't rubber dome over membrane and spring over membrane. "Mechanical" is too much of a blanket term, and "mechanical" keyboards for many of us have proved less reliable and more disappointing than cheap rubber domes — LED failure, soldering failure, switch failure, controller failure, short keycap legend lifetime, and keycap failure. Bog standard Dell rubber domes from the likes of NMB and Silitek feel horrible but they last forever.

The term "mechanical" doesn't equate with "quality" or "worth buying".

Where would gamer-y boards such as Razer, Corsair and to some extent QFR fall into this category, and at an even lower price range, what about Perixx and the like?

• RIP
    • Boring twaddle
« Reply #60 on: Sat, 17 January 2015, 08:03:58 »
If it's got Cherry MX or Alps clone switches, it would fall under "mechanical" regardless of quality and regardless of whether you'd even want to give them away.

I would probably have to extend "mechanical" to anything with metal-on-metal contact to remove some of the ambiguity. Magnetic reed is a weird one since it's metal contact but there's nothing physically linking the user's actions to the contact motion. It's always going to be a tough call, and I'm not entirely convinced that the vast spectrum of switch designs can ever be neatly classified (the amount of different ideas and implementations is mind-blowing).

QFR is an interesting one — they seem to be solid and reliable. "Mid-tier" maybe? I don't recall hearing of problems with them, but that's no substitute for proper data. In an ideal world I'd reserve "high end" for PBT dye-sub and doubleshot keycaps, or any visually appealing lasering that lasts (no staining permitted). Topre of course do PBT keycaps, so they're in.
Bore Awards

Offline Dihedral

• Mostly Harmless
« Reply #61 on: Sat, 17 January 2015, 08:45:36 »
So I made this chart... have I messed anything up?

Offline Snowdog993

• Grace Under Pressure
  • Justifiably Clueless.
« Reply #62 on: Sat, 17 January 2015, 09:12:10 »

Show Image

That's implication logic.  I say no more.

Offline Dihedral

• Mostly Harmless
« Reply #63 on: Sat, 17 January 2015, 09:15:57 »

Show Image

That's implication logic.  I say no more.

Is that a bad thing?

• RIP
    • Boring twaddle
« Reply #64 on: Sat, 17 January 2015, 09:36:05 »
It's "discrete" :-)

Realforce keyboards should be under discrete switch housings, since the switches are not modular, but HHKB should be on the outside of the chart (HHKBs). Slider over dome tends not to be discrete either, nor most spring over membrane (Acer being an exception to that one).

An example of fully non-discrete mechanical is Hi-Tek linear and modular and Stackpole switch grid. (Hi-Tek modular is largely more than one switch per module.)

It's just not simple, and there are a lot of switches:

http://deskthority.net/wiki/Category:List_of_all_keyboard_switches

There are a significant number missing from the wiki.

Oh, and "Rubber dome" should read "Integrated-mount rubber dome over membrane" to distinguish it from modular rubber domes (e.g. Alps SKE* serieses) and Topre, and slider over rubber dome.
« Last Edit: Sat, 17 January 2015, 09:37:59 by Daniel Beardsmore »
Bore Awards

Offline Dihedral

• Mostly Harmless
« Reply #65 on: Sat, 17 January 2015, 09:59:31 »
It's "discrete" :-)

Realforce keyboards should be under discrete switch housings, since the switches are not modular, but HHKB should be on the outside of the chart (HHKBs). Slider over dome tends not to be discrete either, nor most spring over membrane (Acer being an exception to that one).

An example of fully non-discrete mechanical is Hi-Tek linear and modular and Stackpole switch grid. (Hi-Tek modular is largely more than one switch per module.)

It's just not simple, and there are a lot of switches:

http://deskthority.net/wiki/Category:List_of_all_keyboard_switches

There are a significant number missing from the wiki.

Oh, and "Rubber dome" should read "Integrated-mount rubber dome over membrane" to distinguish it from modular rubber domes (e.g. Alps SKE* serieses) and Topre, and slider over rubber dome.

Discreet, lol, i must be tired.

I'm only going for the more common switches for readability, but may add the Hi-Tek for the sake of proving the existence of Non-Discrete Mechanical switches

Offline Dihedral

• Mostly Harmless
« Reply #66 on: Sat, 17 January 2015, 11:11:45 »
Version two, with thanks to Daniel for feedback.

• RIP
    • Boring twaddle
« Reply #67 on: Sat, 17 January 2015, 11:51:07 »
Slider over dome switches (BTC, NMB, Alps etc) are largely non-discrete: the slider guide shafts are moulded into a single sheet of plastic, usually the top case of the keyboard.

Hi-Tek/Stackpole keyboards take several forms. The "waffle grid" is the old design; Hi-Tek modular keyboards used flat-top units for both the grids and the discrete switches (with some crossover between the two).

Fully modular conductive rubber dome switches: Alps integrated dome, Maxi Switch integrated dome

Conductive rubber dome with discrete housings: Printec-DS S7

I wouldn't personally class Cherry MY as mechanical, but it's a frustrating grey area, along with Acer switches. Tai-Hao's equivalent to Acer switches (non-discrete, spring over membrane with click leaves) is something they refer to as "semi-mechanical", which raises an interesting question, because I didn't think they'd sold any for some time, so how long as the term "mechanical" been in use?
Bore Awards

Offline Dihedral

• Mostly Harmless
« Reply #68 on: Sat, 17 January 2015, 12:05:44 »
Slider over dome switches (BTC, NMB, Alps etc) are largely non-discrete: the slider guide shafts are moulded into a single sheet of plastic, usually the top case of the keyboard.

Hi-Tek/Stackpole keyboards take several forms. The "waffle grid" is the old design; Hi-Tek modular keyboards used flat-top units for both the grids and the discrete switches (with some crossover between the two).

Fully modular conductive rubber dome switches: Alps integrated dome, Maxi Switch integrated dome

Conductive rubber dome with discrete housings: Printec-DS S7

I wouldn't personally class Cherry MY as mechanical, but it's a frustrating grey area, along with Acer switches. Tai-Hao's equivalent to Acer switches (non-discrete, spring over membrane with click leaves) is something they refer to as "semi-mechanical", which raises an interesting question, because I didn't think they'd sold any for some time, so how long as the term "mechanical" been in use?

To me it seemed that the older Hi-Tek switches were the waffle style, and the newer ones had a modular design... right? or wrong?

• RIP
    • Boring twaddle
« Reply #69 on: Sat, 17 January 2015, 12:09:36 »
It appears so. Hearsay notwithstanding, and going only by photographic confirmation, the only waffle grids with branding are from Stackpole; most waffle grids are unbranded. The original Hi-Tek patents don't illustrate the form that the keyboard took, nor do Stackpole's patents. The dovetail system is the only design actually depicted in a patent.
Bore Awards

Offline 0100010

• Not Sure
« Reply #70 on: Sat, 17 January 2015, 12:35:50 »
Don't forget inductive switches.
  Quoting me causes a posting error that you need to ignore.

Offline jacobolus

« Reply #71 on: Sat, 17 January 2015, 15:13:09 »
Basically no one is going to agree with this chart. As has been said before, it’s pointless to try to nail down definitions for the word “mechanical” in this context. Having one person (or even a whole group of people) declare a switch to be “mechanical” or “not mechanical” has zero effect on anything. It’s pure semantics masturbation.

• RIP
    • Boring twaddle
« Reply #72 on: Sat, 17 January 2015, 15:19:07 »
I suppose I should be relieved to finally find someone here who's actually more miserable and negative than I am.
Bore Awards

Offline Jumpjet

« Reply #73 on: Sat, 17 January 2015, 19:27:37 »
I suppose I should be relieved to finally find someone here who's actually more miserable and negative than I am.

that's my first forum 'lol' of 2015. Thanks! ;-)

Offline Jumpjet

« Reply #74 on: Sat, 17 January 2015, 19:37:46 »
Basically no one is going to agree with this chart. As has been said before, it�s pointless to try to nail down definitions for the word �mechanical� in this context. Having one person (or even a whole group of people) declare a switch to be �mechanical� or �not mechanical� has zero effect on anything. It�s pure semantics masturbation.

That's it in a nutshell. I regard Topre as a hybrid rubber dome, with the emphasis strongly on the 'rubber dome' element. Despite that, Torpe switches feel extremely mechanical to me, far more so than any other switch I've tried. I like the occasionally-voiced 'piano key' comparison; that pretty much describes the way the key-return feels like the concluding movement of a distant mechanical sequence...which it obviously isn't of course: It's a simple rubber dome.

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Björkö.
« Reply #75 on: Sat, 17 January 2015, 19:37:47 »
All switches are electro-mechanical devices, either individually built and housed or constructed in a full matrix, with metal springs, or rubber based spring-back actuators. Any further classification will have gray areas that can be defined with any of the mathematical sets theory connectors.

Offline Sencha

• HHKB Pro
  • MX Reds <3
« Reply #76 on: Mon, 19 January 2015, 07:09:23 »
I don't care if they are or aren't. They are amazing that's all you need to know :D

Offline ander

• * Esteemed Elder
  • I type, therefore I am
« Reply #77 on: Sun, 01 February 2015, 05:06:32 »
Because there is no physical contact, capacitive switch keyboards have a longer life than any other mechanical keyboard.

If that's true, why are Cherry and Topre switches both rated for, like, 50 million presses?
« Last Edit: Sun, 15 February 2015, 09:09:17 by ander »
We are not chasing wildly after beauty with fear at our backs. – Natalie Goldberg

Offline Polymer

« Reply #78 on: Sun, 01 February 2015, 05:44:36 »
I think that is probably an estimation of the rubber..they used to be rated lower....

I don't think they're going to last any longer..but because of the lack of contact they wouldn't have problems that ones that do have...

But since they don't sell replacement rubber cups and no one is making them (unlike Cherry springs), the rubber going out makes it worthless...

Offline wordfool

« Reply #79 on: Sun, 01 February 2015, 22:34:03 »
Hybrid in nature, perhaps hybrid in name, but sadly not hybrid in price.

Just tell people that no, Topres are not mechanical.... they're more expensive than mechanical. Then let the audience come to its own conclusions :D
Filco TKL and Minila Air (browns) the daily drivers. Black M13 gathering dust. Former Realforce 103U afficionado

Offline 00zeRO

• mechanicalkeyboards.com
  • * Commercial Vendor
  • The 00verseer of Vault 77
    • Mechanical Keyboards
« Reply #80 on: Mon, 02 February 2015, 14:20:49 »
...and the debate rages on...
Daily Driver: Typist A w/Midnight Dawn | Kailh BOX Clicks

Junktown 2: Now on eBay!

Offline noisyturtle

• * Exalted Elder
  • comfortably numb
« Reply #81 on: Mon, 02 February 2015, 15:48:37 »
It's a hybrid, but closer to the side of rubber domes than to a real mech board

That's why Topre owners put up such bravado, they know how flawed they are

Offline 00zeRO

• mechanicalkeyboards.com
  • * Commercial Vendor
  • The 00verseer of Vault 77
    • Mechanical Keyboards
« Reply #82 on: Mon, 02 February 2015, 15:58:04 »

now, now, be nice Noisy...
Daily Driver: Typist A w/Midnight Dawn | Kailh BOX Clicks

Junktown 2: Now on eBay!

Offline noisyturtle

• * Exalted Elder
  • comfortably numb
« Reply #83 on: Mon, 02 February 2015, 16:05:41 »

now, now, be nice Noisy...

Topre feels nicer than a standard rubber dome.

Offline Macsmasher

« Reply #84 on: Tue, 03 February 2015, 14:02:30 »

Hey, I resemble that!

Offline ander

• * Esteemed Elder
  • I type, therefore I am
« Reply #85 on: Sun, 15 February 2015, 09:15:08 »
As long as they work so well and don't degrade like cheap keyboards, who cares?
We are not chasing wildly after beauty with fear at our backs. – Natalie Goldberg

Offline Chromako

• Worshipper of the Topre and IBM Gods
« Reply #86 on: Sun, 15 February 2015, 17:16:33 »
Since the sensing is non-contact capacitive, as many have said, I don't think they technically count as "mechanical." They are even less "mechanical" than rubber dome (although I don't think anyone is actually using real rubber anymore)+membrane, in my opinion, as with membranes you are actually physically completing an electrical circuit, and with Topre, you aren't even doing that. But, for example, 55g Topre feels much more mechanical than, say, Cherry MX Blacks.

That being said, Topre > Cherry MX. So there!

Now, IBM capacitive buckling springs in Model F keyboards... that's also a tricky question. They have a non-contact mechanism for sensing and they don't really have discrete switches, which puts them in the "not mechanical" group. But then again, they sure feel more "mechanical" than Cherry MX switches, have a spring, and even a hammer for each key, so... they kind of are...

We really need to come up with a better term for high-quality keyboards like Cherry, Space Invader, Topre, Alps, and BS than "mechanical" that's also sexier than saying "not complete rubbish." That's my take away.
Thou Shalt Not Violate Causality, Nor Shalt Thou Invert Thy Spacebar.

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Björkö.
« Reply #87 on: Sun, 15 February 2015, 18:33:03 »
This debate is futile, it is barely a question to entertain the casual reader and writer. Even the rubber dome boards are mechanical ones. So Topre are also mechanical boards, scissors boards are mechanical. Even, the chiclet type boards in most laptops are mechanical as well.

Offline njbair

• I love the Powerglove. It's so bad.
    • nickbair.net
« Reply #88 on: Sun, 15 February 2015, 18:44:13 »
I guess the only non mechanical keyboards are on smartphone screens. And also that cool gumstick that projects a laser keyboard on your desk.

Alpine Winter GB | My Personal TMK Firmware Repo
IBM Rubber Band "Floss" Mod | Click Modding Alps 101 | Flame-Polishing Cherry MX Stems
Review: hasu's USB to USB converter
My boards:
More
AEKII 60% | Alps64 HHKB | Ducky Shine 3, MX Blues | IBM Model M #1391401, Nov. 1990 | IBM SSK #1391472, Nov. 1987, screw modded, rubber-band modded | Noppoo EC108-Pro, 45g | Infinity 60% v2 Hacker, Matias Quiet Pros | Infinity 60% v2 Standard, MX Browns | Cherry G80-1800LPCEU-2, MX Blacks | Cherry G80-1813 (Dolch), MX Blues | Unicomp M-122, ANSI-modded | Unicomp M-122 (Unsaver mod in progress) | 2x Unitek K-258, White Alps | Apple boards (IIGS, AEKII) | Varmilo VA87MR, Gateron Blacks | Filco Zero TKL, Fukka White Alps | Planck, Gateron Browns | Monarch, click-modded Cream Alps

Offline Computer-Lab in Basement

• The needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few.
  • * Elevated Elder
  • Live long and prosper
« Reply #89 on: Sun, 15 February 2015, 18:48:34 »
This debate is futile, it is barely a question to entertain the casual reader and writer. Even the rubber dome boards are mechanical ones. So Topre are also mechanical boards, scissors boards are mechanical. Even, the chiclet type boards in most laptops are mechanical as well.

technically yes. but i think the definition is different for this community...

i like to think that, if it has a spring, it's mechanical.
tp thread is tp thread
Sometimes it's like he accidentally makes a thread instead of a google search.

IBM Model M SSK | IBM Model F XT | IBM Model F 122 | IBM Model M 122 | Ducky YOTD 2012 w/ blue switches | Poker II w/ Blue switches | Royal Kludge RK61 w/ Blue switches

Offline wyatt8740

• Machine code enthusiast
« Reply #90 on: Sun, 15 February 2015, 18:51:08 »
Here's my two cents:
first, here's my definition of "mechanical":
If it does not feel mushy, and activates reliably at approximately the same position every time, it's mechanical.

If it's unreliably activated or feels like mush, it's not mechanical.
I've never had a topre, but apparently they feel nice and not at all mushy, so I'd happily call it mechanical.

I'm happy with my Model M's, though :D

Version two, with thanks to Daniel for feedback.

Show Image

ah, the model M does not have discrete switch housing; all of the switches are on a single board and all activate a shared membrane underneath. While some buckling springs may exist in discrete switches, the Model M's do not. That's the only flaw I immediately notice with this graphic.

Because there is no physical contact, capacitive switch keyboards have a longer life than any other mechanical keyboard.
so are you claiming a Model F will last longer than a Model M switch? Because a Model F is capacitive but has a spring - and that spring will not probably take any longer to stop working than a Model M spring. (That's still a REALLY long time, but I'm just saying - there are always exceptions.)

And anyway, a Hall Effect switch will last longer than a buckling spring.
« Last Edit: Sun, 15 February 2015, 19:02:23 by wyatt8740 »
I don't usually collect things, but when I do, they're from the 70's, 80's, and 90's. My typing speed: 79 WPM
IBM Model M 1386303, 1987 / IBM Model M 1391401, 1993 / IBM Model M 59G7980, 1993 / Unicomp "Mini M" UT40E7A (modded), 2021 / Dell AT101W, 1994 (Black Alps) / Apple Extended Keyboard (Orange Alps), 1987 / Sun Type 5, unknown year (Rubber Dome)

Offline wyatt8740

« Reply #91 on: Sun, 15 February 2015, 18:57:22 »
double post merged
I don't usually collect things, but when I do, they're from the 70's, 80's, and 90's. My typing speed: 79 WPM
IBM Model M 1386303, 1987 / IBM Model M 1391401, 1993 / IBM Model M 59G7980, 1993 / Unicomp "Mini M" UT40E7A (modded), 2021 / Dell AT101W, 1994 (Black Alps) / Apple Extended Keyboard (Orange Alps), 1987 / Sun Type 5, unknown year (Rubber Dome)

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Björkö.
« Reply #92 on: Sun, 15 February 2015, 19:01:49 »
I am not trying to oversimplify the question, but only to be objective; all the keyboards that have some mechanism to get a key to actuate a switch and then spring back to its original position are mechanical. We may debate if such mechanism is reliable, of if it provides enough feedback to the user; or even if the feedback feels well, or if it is responsive; or maybe to discuss its quality or any other characteristic, but we cannot really try to use the term mechanical to certain mechanisms that we like, or prefer, and to call anything else to those boards that have mechanisms we do not like.

Offline wyatt8740

« Reply #93 on: Sun, 15 February 2015, 19:03:37 »
I am not trying to oversimplify the question, but only to be objective; all the keyboards that have some mechanism to get a key to actuate a switch and then spring back to its original position are mechanical. We may debate if such mechanism is reliable, of if it provides enough feedback to the user; or even if the feedback feels well, or if it is responsive; or maybe to discuss its quality or any other characteristic, but we cannot really try to use the term mechanical to certain mechanisms that we like, or prefer, and to call anything else to those boards that have mechanisms we do not like.

Yes, I know rubberdome is technically 'mechanical' by the physical definition and the scientific definition.
However, we are keyboard enthusiasts and we have a different definition of mechanical from the scientific community.
I still agree with your logic, though. It's just that this community basically calls anything without a rubber dome mechanical.
We mean we like bits of metal doing the switching work, as opposed to plastic/rubber/silicone.
I think the real question asked was, "Should we classify the Topre as a Rubber Dome switch, or as a non-rubber switch?" Because it contains aspects of both.
I say, call it mechanical, because it's not using a rubber dome in the same way that makes that mushy feeling we (I'm guessing all of us) hate/dislike.
« Last Edit: Sun, 15 February 2015, 19:06:49 by wyatt8740 »

Offline Novus

• Formerly the1onewolf
  • * Exquisite Elder
  • Mondai nothing~
« Reply #94 on: Sun, 15 February 2015, 19:08:43 »
Topre is the last bastion of defense against those cherry boys.

Offline njbair

• I love the Powerglove. It's so bad.
    • nickbair.net
« Reply #95 on: Sun, 15 February 2015, 19:08:49 »
I think the point ideus is trying to make is that we don't get to define the word mechanical. It's already been defined. If we want to split hairs over what makes a "good" keyboard we've really got to find another term.

Alpine Winter GB | My Personal TMK Firmware Repo
IBM Rubber Band "Floss" Mod | Click Modding Alps 101 | Flame-Polishing Cherry MX Stems
Review: hasu's USB to USB converter
My boards:
More
AEKII 60% | Alps64 HHKB | Ducky Shine 3, MX Blues | IBM Model M #1391401, Nov. 1990 | IBM SSK #1391472, Nov. 1987, screw modded, rubber-band modded | Noppoo EC108-Pro, 45g | Infinity 60% v2 Hacker, Matias Quiet Pros | Infinity 60% v2 Standard, MX Browns | Cherry G80-1800LPCEU-2, MX Blacks | Cherry G80-1813 (Dolch), MX Blues | Unicomp M-122, ANSI-modded | Unicomp M-122 (Unsaver mod in progress) | 2x Unitek K-258, White Alps | Apple boards (IIGS, AEKII) | Varmilo VA87MR, Gateron Blacks | Filco Zero TKL, Fukka White Alps | Planck, Gateron Browns | Monarch, click-modded Cream Alps

Offline Computer-Lab in Basement

• The needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few.
  • * Elevated Elder
  • Live long and prosper
« Reply #96 on: Sun, 15 February 2015, 19:10:25 »
I think the point ideus is trying to make is that we don't get to define the word mechanical. It's already been defined. If we want to split hairs over what makes a "good" keyboard we've really got to find another term.

umm...

words can have multiple definitions

just look at any dictionary...

plus not to mention, we aren't defining the word "mechanical"... we're defining "mechanical keyboard"...
« Last Edit: Sun, 15 February 2015, 19:13:14 by Computer-Lab in Basement »
tp thread is tp thread
Sometimes it's like he accidentally makes a thread instead of a google search.

IBM Model M SSK | IBM Model F XT | IBM Model F 122 | IBM Model M 122 | Ducky YOTD 2012 w/ blue switches | Poker II w/ Blue switches | Royal Kludge RK61 w/ Blue switches

Offline Novus

• Formerly the1onewolf
  • * Exquisite Elder
  • Mondai nothing~
« Reply #97 on: Sun, 15 February 2015, 19:12:42 »
In the most literal sense a rubber dome is mechanical

Offline wyatt8740

« Reply #98 on: Sun, 15 February 2015, 19:14:14 »
A few years too late to change the definition for the whole community, but if the community were to start today, I'd probably look for an alternate term. Can't do much about it now, though!
It's a bit like the Washington Redskins' name, only less offensive.

Offline noisyturtle

• * Exalted Elder
  • comfortably numb
« Reply #99 on: Sun, 15 February 2015, 19:18:00 »
In the most literal sense a rubber dome is mechanical

Yup, every keyboard ever made is technically mechanical as defined by the top definition:
produced or operated by a machine or tool

I define it as a set of machined moving parts which interact with each other to produce an outcome that would not be possible based upon each individual piece alone.