Author Topic: New user finding it difficult and discouraging to find caps I like (in stock)  (Read 3692 times)

Offline ANWN

Hello,

After a long time looking at many of the beautiful custom keycap sets (retro, dolch, granite, etc) I decided to get a keyboard without backlighting and focus on finding a keycap set I like. I'm mainly looking for something with a nice, clean, somewhat retro feel with a larger, centered legend - like a Dolch set or the recent Retro (C-64) style set. I was a long time Commodore user when I was a kid so these sort of sets just really connect with me.

What I find amazing is that it feels impossible to find anything in stock or available other than blank keycaps and cheap or midrange ABS caps.

Some of these sets are so appealing and popular that they instantly sell in the classified yet for reasons I cannot understand, they are only available in limited run group buys.

Even outside of the full sets, a lot of the various sellers will show you a huge catalog of keycaps that are mostly out of stock and unavailable.

I can't figure out this market - is it just so small that no company is willing to take a risk and make a continually available Dolch style keycap set or do regular runs?

I feel like I'm taking crazy pills - help me understand this.

Thanks

Offline jdcarpe

• * Curator
  • Live long, and prosper.
small that no company is willing to take a risk and make a continually available Dolch style keycap set or do regular runs?

^ This.

Community "vendors" can't afford to sit on inventory on the off chance it may sell one day.

Commercial vendors make products for the majority, not a niche community like ours.

Oh, and Welcome to Geekhack!
KMAC :: LZ-GH :: WASD CODE :: WASD v2 :: GH60 :: Alps64 :: JD45 :: IBM Model M :: IBM 4704 "Pingmaster"

http://jd40.info :: http://jd45.info

in memoriam

"When I was a kid, I used to take things apart and never put them back together."

Offline ANWN

Thank you for the reply and the warm welcome.

I can understand volume and inventory being an issue, but it seems like an enterprising company would create a system to let people order their own sets - WASD offers this, but the reviews seem to suggest that the quality is average.

I guess the manufacturing equipment is such that limited runs can be profitable, but there is too much setup involved to do sets on demand. Hopefully this will change at some point.

The other thing that drives me crazy is that I could probably be ok with some of the nicer PBT dye sub sets, but I do not understand why most keys have small legends in the upper left corner - I know in some cases, they may want to reprint a secondary legend for other languages, but it seems almost all keycaps are designed this way.

But I guess if wasn't picky, I wouldn't be here right?

Offline jdcarpe

• * Curator
WASD offers this, but the reviews seem to suggest that the quality is average.

Average for the average user. Terrible for the discerning Geekhacker. I doubt you will find many here who disagree.

Also, I tend to hoard keycaps. Send me a PM to remind me, and I'll look at what I have boxed up in the closet I could part with.
KMAC :: LZ-GH :: WASD CODE :: WASD v2 :: GH60 :: Alps64 :: JD45 :: IBM Model M :: IBM 4704 "Pingmaster"

in memoriam

"When I was a kid, I used to take things apart and never put them back together."

Offline exitfire401

• * Global Moderator
  • The Force is Re/\l
I believe Zeal has some Dolch left On his site. zealpc.net
Boards: Kingsaver Complicated Blue Alps |Sprit 60% Transparent MX Clears in Gateron housings with 62g gold Sprit springs lubed and RGB color shifting LEDs | Ducky Shine Zone MX Black with Blue LEDs | Realforce 10AE Variable Silenced

B/S/T thread: https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=55351.0

Past projects: KBT Race 2 L.E.
Past Boards: Ducky Shine 2 | KBT Pure | LZ Aluminum Skin| HHKB | Realforce 23u |

Offline ANWN

Thank you - he does seem to have a full set and I was not aware of that site.

I'm not opposed to paying $155 for a keycap set, but I would need to hit all the bullet points - mostly the more rounded style SA/DCS caps and the large centered legends.

Offline jdcarpe

• * Curator
I believe Zeal has some Dolch left On his site. zealpc.net

I always forget about Zeal. Bad jdcarpe!

Those are GMK double shots. They don't have the large centered legends you are after, but GMK are my FAVORITE keycaps.

Also, there is at least one group buy currently ongoing that may be what you like. https://ctrlalt.io/buys/hack-d-by-geeks
« Last Edit: Thu, 15 January 2015, 13:26:25 by jdcarpe »

in memoriam

Offline byker

• Literally Canada
  • ** Moderator Emeritus
The other thing that I think should be mentioned is that for many sets, the person who came up with them has the rights to them. For example, Matt3o designed the granite set, and has done two runs of it. Many more people want it, but he doesn't want to do another run yet, I believe because the pbt dsa quality is poor from Signature Plastics. So I couldn't go and create a bunch of granite sets to sell (at least without being a ****).

Offline ANWN

Thanks JD,

I like the Hacked by Geeks set a lot but I'm not sure how I'll feel about the orange over the long haul. It's very tempting.

Byker,

I had not considered the IP aspect of the sets or even the basic quality of the contract manufacturers. Do you think the idea of keeping a set rare and limited is a motivating factor or just a result of the current market realities?

Thanks,

Offline IPT

• Formerly projectD
  • * Exquisite Elder

I'm not opposed to paying $155 for a keycap set, but I would need to hit all the bullet points - mostly the more rounded style SA/DCS caps and the large centered legends.

So would you be talking about something like DSA Dolch?

Offline ANWN

Show Image

Yes, that's very nice and probably my #2 choice after the Retro set.

Objectively, the Dolch set looks better, but subjectively, the Retro set takes me back to a lot of good times in the 8 bit days.

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
I'm surprised SP ddin't produce more DSA Dolch sets they seemed to sell very fast.

Offline IPT

• Formerly projectD
  • * Exquisite Elder

Show Image

when i get home tonight i'll go digging in my box to see if I can find this set.
i'll PM you if I find it as I'm pretty much a DCS/Cherry Profile guy these days.

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
I'm surprised SP ddin't produce more DSA Dolch sets they seemed to sell very fast.

Probably pleased to wash their hands of them after all the controversy.
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline mr.squishy

• I like beer and keebs
As an Alps user, I feel your pain.
In a way.

Offline Lunatique

• Writer, Composer, Artist, Photographer, Gamer
The rarity of the desirable keycap sets is really bothering me too. It's almost like being introduced to a really awesome new cuisine and you're dying to actually eat the stuff, and then find out there isn't a single restaurant in the world that serves the cuisine anymore--all past restaurants serving that food have closed. It's like,  :'(

If the keycap sets I actually lust after are available, I would not even bother doing all that customizing of the WASD stuff--I'd just buy a Retro or Toxic set and call it the day.

Do any of you have any idea where I could find any of the keycap sets in this post (ideally for TKL, if possible)? https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=67650.msg1594427#msg1594427

Please save me from having to put together a WASD custom set.  :(
« Last Edit: Sun, 18 January 2015, 19:57:25 by Lunatique »

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
The rarity of the desirable keycap sets is really bothering me too. It's almost like being introduced to a really awesome new cuisine and you're dying to actually eat the stuff, and then find out there isn't a single restaurant in the world that serves the cuisine anymore--all past restaurants serving that food have closed. It's like,  :'(

If the keycap sets I actually lust after are available, I would not even bother doing all that customizing of the WASD stuff--I'd just buy a Retro or Toxic set and call it the day.

Do any of you have any idea where I could find any of the keycap sets in this thread (ideally for TKL, if possible)? https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=67650.msg1594427#msg1594427

Please save me from having to put together a WASD custom set.  :(
You will see toxic sets in classifieds soon as they get delivered, people always sell.

And a few others you link show up in classifieds every so often.

Offline Puddsy

• nice
  • * Elated Elder
  • "Do you shovel to survive, or survive to shovel?"
Welcome to GH.

Getting the prefect keyboard is, more often than not, all about playing the waiting game.

The easiest way to get the set you want is to post in the classifieds and wait. Of course, you need to meet the requirements first.

However, if waiting isn't your thing, you can pay a little more for a smaller, but in stock selection of caps.
QFR | MJ2 TKL | "Bulgogiboard" (Keycon 104) | ctrl.alt x GON 60% | TGR Alice | Mira SE #29 | Mira SE #34 | Revo One | z | Keycult No. 1 | AIS65 | First CW87 prototype | Mech27v1 | Camp C225 | Duck Orion V1 | LZ CLS sxh | Geon Frog TKL | Hiney TKL One | Geon Glare TKL

"Everything is worse, but in a barely perceptible and indefinable way" -dollartacos, after I came back from a break | "Is Linkshine our Nixon?" -NAV | "Puddsy is the Puddsy of keebs" -ns90

Offline Oobly

• * Esteemed Elder

Show Image

Objectively, the Dolch set looks better, but subjectively, the Retro set takes me back to a lot of good times in the 8 bit days.

There is a chance that Matt3o (the creator of the Retro set) will run a Group Buy for either Retro, Midnight or Skull Squadron in full contour SA profile (like the SA family picture here: http://keycapsdirect.com/key-caps.php) soon. Then there is the 1976 set which you may like (all Row 3 SA profile in similar colours to Retro): https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=65935.msg1542865#msg1542865

Just keep an eye on the Interest Checks, Group Buys, Classifieds and Vendors/Signature Plastics subforums and you can probably find something that catches your interest. I have the opposite problem to you, there are too many great keycap set Group Buys running that I really want, so my wallet is starting to feel the pain... We call it being WalletHacked ;)

Here is a great site for viewing keycap sets that have been made before or are are currently in production: http://keypuller.com/
Buying more keycaps,
it really hacks my wallet,
but I must have them.

Offline dimmu

part of the fun is the hunt. it is more satisfying the longer the wait for the keyset is. i am still looking for an evangelion and sanctuary sets with tsangan myself and i just missed out a deal on /mechmarket just a few days ago by just an hour.

Offline Giorgio

Did they make many mistakes and delivery warped keys?

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......

Did they make many mistakes and delivery warped keys?

No user DrugER organized a DSA dolch group buy and sold hundreds of sets then he disappeared with the money and didn't pay SP but SP had produced the caps so SP went ahead and sold the caps. There were no problems with that set it was doubleshot ABS. SP has had production problems with the dyesub PBT sets recently.

Offline Giorgio

Ah... and since too much time had passed, no one was able to receive the money back? What a shame. This world of the mechanical keyboards is really complicated, I hope that it becomes sort of mainstream or we will continue in this situation, where many things are desirable only because they are rare.