Author Topic: High Quality swap-in keyboards for laptops?  (Read 2701 times)

Offline Dihedral

• Mostly Harmless
High Quality swap-in keyboards for laptops?
« on: Fri, 16 January 2015, 14:16:18 »
I often see replacement keyboards for laptops on ebay, and have often wondered if one could not just replace, but also upgrade their keyboard this way. However, these keyboards always seem very thin. Would it be possible to have an ML switch replacement board for a laptop or would the height of mechanical switches kill this from the outset? Alternatively, could we develop a high quality scissor switch board?
« Last Edit: Fri, 16 January 2015, 14:55:26 by Dihedral »

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Björkö.
Re: Mechanical swap-in keyboards for laptops?
« Reply #1 on: Fri, 16 January 2015, 14:42:22 »
Laptop keyboards are not standard, each one fits a particular design, even the models of the same brand cannot swap keyboards, besides the height of an actual mechanical keyboard is 2 or 3 times the height of a scissor based keyboard.

Offline tannerman917

« Reply #2 on: Fri, 16 January 2015, 14:47:59 »
And this is why we have the MSI GT80 Titan.   :D

Offline Dihedral

• Mostly Harmless
« Reply #3 on: Fri, 16 January 2015, 14:54:13 »
And this is why we have the MSI GT80 Titan.   :D

With free heated tea tray

(Attachment Link)

Offline Dihedral

• Mostly Harmless
« Reply #4 on: Fri, 16 January 2015, 14:54:58 »
Laptop keyboards are not standard, each one fits a particular design, even the models of the same brand cannot swap keyboards, besides the height of an actual mechanical keyboard is 2 or 3 times the height of a scissor based keyboard.

OK then... another idea I considered... could we, as a community, develop a high quality scissor switch, not unlike that of ThinkPads or the like.

Offline jacobolus

« Reply #5 on: Fri, 16 January 2015, 16:13:57 »
OK then... another idea I considered... could we, as a community, develop a high quality scissor switch, not unlike that of ThinkPads or the like.
You want to build a new laptop from scratch? Or you want to build replacement keyboards for some specific existing laptop, or what?

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Björkö.
Re: High Quality swap-in keyboards for laptops?
« Reply #6 on: Fri, 16 January 2015, 16:41:30 »
Just get a lenovo usb keyboard, the old version.

Offline Dihedral

• Mostly Harmless
« Reply #7 on: Sat, 17 January 2015, 03:05:32 »
You want to build a new laptop from scratch? Or you want to build replacement keyboards for some specific existing laptop, or what?

Second one. I'm in a bit of a 'throwing stupid ideas at the wall to see if any of them have any merit' stage, and besides a thinkpad laptop keyboards are kinda terrible. I think we should put some effort into trying to improve them.

Offline jacobolus

« Reply #8 on: Sat, 17 January 2015, 03:35:52 »
Okay, well, I don’t think this will happen as a “community project” since making a prototype even is going to cost a pile of money and a few dozen hours of work at least, and I think it’s close to impossible to productize in any reasonable way.

But if you want to take the job on, I’m sure we’ll all be happy to cheer from the sidelines.

Offline Dihedral

• Mostly Harmless
« Reply #9 on: Sat, 17 January 2015, 03:40:33 »
Okay, well, I don’t think this will happen as a “community project” since making a prototype even is going to cost a pile of money and a few dozen hours of work at least, and I think it’s close to impossible to productize in any reasonable way.

But if you want to take the job on, I’m sure we’ll all be happy to cheer from the sidelines.

I have an old laptop hanging around, so I might have a look at that... if anything happens I'll keep you guys posted.

Offline IvanIvanovich

• Mr. Silk Underwear
« Reply #10 on: Sat, 17 January 2015, 11:29:17 »
Forget laptops, get tablet and plug in keyboard of choice. Otherwise, I think the only way it would be at all feasible would be swapping the laptop guts into a whole new body so everything could be accommodated. Or maybe just swapping in the modern guts to a 1980's laptop that already had an ML, low profile Alps, or whatever decent keyboard.

Offline engicoder

« Reply #11 on: Wed, 21 January 2015, 17:57:16 »
Forget laptops, get tablet and plug in keyboard of choice. Otherwise, I think the only way it would be at all feasible would be swapping the laptop guts into a whole new body so everything could be accommodated. Or maybe just swapping in the modern guts to a 1980's laptop that already had an ML, low profile Alps, or whatever decent keyboard.

This is were the newer tablets like the Surface 3 Pro are getting my attention. Hoping the prices come down a bit.

Offline DrHubblePhD

• I am star stuff
  • Location: Observable Universe, Virgo Supercluster, Local Group, Milky Way Galaxy, Solar System, Planet Earth
« Reply #12 on: Wed, 21 January 2015, 17:59:47 »
I was considering creating a GIF of me slaming my 360c onto my laptop and giving a solid thumbs up  then decided.... eh

Offline hwood34

• underwater squad
  • * Exalted Elder
  • #1 CL stan
    • Keyboard Illuminati
« Reply #13 on: Wed, 21 January 2015, 19:44:20 »

This is were the newer tablets like the Surface 3 Pro are getting my attention. Hoping the prices come down a bit.
Galaxy Tab S ftw
IV KWK Info Thread & KBK Info Thread IV (out of date)

Old GBs: Gateron Switches (2015) | CF-LX R1 (2015) | CF-LX R2 (2017) | CF-LXXX (2017) | Gen.s Gem Caps (2015)

"Under no pretext should arms and ammunition be surrendered; any attempt to disarm the workers must be frustrated, by force if necessary"