Author Topic: JD40 Custom Keyboard Giveaway! Winner!  (Read 12405 times)

Offline dustinhxc

• * Exalted Elder
  • IV
    • Gray Designs
JD40 Custom Keyboard Giveaway! Winner!
« on: Fri, 23 January 2015, 14:34:39 »
**GIVEAWAY**

JD40, MX Blues with 62g Korean Gold springs, Clear Switch Tops, Costar Stabs in Spacebar, Dolch DSA keyset, Black Screws.
Board built by JDCarpe.

KBK Not Included.

BB Not Included.

I can include the Grab bag keys if interested. :cool:

Skcheng was kind enough to give this board away to me some time ago. I have enjoyed using it and exploring the layers.
Now I have decided to let someone else enjoy this amazingly built board! Keep the good Geekhack vibe going around!  :cool:

I'll keep this open till Friday January 30th, One week from today. Noon Central. (12:00)

I am happy this inspires people to join and or come out of hiding, though to enter you must be a member before the contest created date. 01-23-15

Please write at least a paragraph or so, not just a simple line of text. Explain why you would like this board and what you would use it for.
Would you do anything to it? Is there a different keyset you'd put on it? Why do you deserve the board next? That's all, just enjoy the contest and keep the positive vibe going!
:thumb:

I know its not nice of me to ask, though I require you to pay for the Shipping cost. 2 Day Priority, Insured. If International, then we can do First Class if requested.

Thank You,

Congratulations BadWrench! Enjoy the 62g Blues! Enjoy showing the board off!  :cool: Hopefully you will make a cool USB Cable to go with it!

SeeThruHead, JDcarpe has mentioned that he will send you a kit on him!  :thumb: Congratulations!

Thank You everyone for your participation, I wish I had more to give out!  :-*

« Last Edit: Fri, 30 January 2015, 14:44:12 by dustinhxc »

Offline jdcarpe

• * Curator
  • Live long, and prosper.
Re: **GIVEAWAY** JD40 Custom Keyboard
« Reply #1 on: Fri, 23 January 2015, 14:38:21 »
Looking at the photos, I suspected that had to be the one I built for skcheng. :)

Good job, Dustin! :thumb:

And good luck, everyone!

« Last Edit: Fri, 23 January 2015, 14:53:15 by jdcarpe »
KMAC :: LZ-GH :: WASD CODE :: WASD v2 :: GH60 :: Alps64 :: JD45 :: IBM Model M :: IBM 4704 "Pingmaster"

http://jd40.info :: http://jd45.info

in memoriam

"When I was a kid, I used to take things apart and never put them back together."

Offline Defect

• I collect keyboards and keyboard accessories
« Reply #2 on: Fri, 23 January 2015, 14:39:16 »
Nice board!  Good luck to whoever wins.

Not pictured: KeyCool 84 [MX Red] | Focus 2001 [Complicated White Alps]
Endgame Board | Defect's Watermelon Board Build Doc

Offline dustinhxc

• * Exalted Elder
  • IV
    • Gray Designs
« Reply #3 on: Fri, 23 January 2015, 14:39:19 »
Looking at the photos, I suspected that had to be the one I built for skcheng. :)

Good job, Dustin! :thumb:

And good luck, everyone!

Show Image

HEY! That is an awesome behind the scenes photo JD. :) Its a lovely board!  :thumb:

Offline R1N3

« Reply #4 on: Fri, 23 January 2015, 14:39:59 »
Whoever wins this... just wow.

I've got my own on the way thanks especially to Bunny <3 otherwise I'd have the thesaurus open searching for the perfect synonym to tug on your heartstrings!
2015 has got serious karma en route to some very generous individuals!

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #5 on: Fri, 23 January 2015, 14:42:13 »
Good guy dustin! :thumb:

Offline nubbinator

• Dabbler Supreme
  • * Maker
  • Model M "connoisseur"
« Reply #6 on: Fri, 23 January 2015, 14:43:46 »
I'll definitely be doing a write up when I get home.  These seem interesting, but I have a hard time with the cost.  It's a very generous giveaway.

I know its not nice of me to ask, though I require you to pay for the Shipping cost. 2 Day Priority, Insured. If International, then we can do First Class if requested.

There is nothing unreasonable about that at all.

Offline exitfire401

• * Global Moderator
  • The Force is Re/\l
« Reply #7 on: Fri, 23 January 2015, 14:44:01 »
The reason I would like this board is very simple. I want to try 40% and see if a jd40 is right for me. I love compact boards, and my hhkb has all but taken residency on my desk at work. If I do get this board, I would probably do what you did with it Dustin. Try it out and type on it for a couple of months, and then send it on to the next user. If I like it, I buy a jd40, and if not, there's no problem, and either way, somebody else gets to try and enjoy this board after me. Thanks for running another giveaway dude!
Boards: Kingsaver Complicated Blue Alps |Sprit 60% Transparent MX Clears in Gateron housings with 62g gold Sprit springs lubed and RGB color shifting LEDs | Ducky Shine Zone MX Black with Blue LEDs | Realforce 10AE Variable Silenced

B/S/T thread: https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=55351.0

Past projects: KBT Race 2 L.E.
Past Boards: Ducky Shine 2 | KBT Pure | LZ Aluminum Skin| HHKB | Realforce 23u |

Offline FrostyToast

• Litshoard
  • * Exquisite Elder
« Reply #8 on: Fri, 23 January 2015, 14:45:46 »
I would use this board for testing out switches with different stems and springs. Switch samplers just don't cut it and the samplers give you such a terrible sense of what the switches will actually feel like when typing. The fact that you can remove all of the switch tops without soldering is amazing for testing switches. It also helps a whack ton that this keyboard has very few keys on it which makes it easy to swap out everything while still being completely functional. This board would be perfect for typing as well, not just a simple novelty as a switch tester. It would be great to take along with me to school as I could use it to take notes on my phone. It's both portable, and it has all of the keys that I would need to type with. It would be somewhat difficult to use some of the symbols, however that could be fixed with some programming. Although I do plan on buying a JD45 for this very purpose, it would be even better to have two of these kinds of boards so that I can compare two switches side by side which is really the only way I imagine myself testing switches anyway. It is a shame however that this comes with clear tops since I hear that they are much more brittle and can break from opening them too many times. However I hope to remedy this by getting some actual cherry switch tops from switches I will use to swap in and out. Overall I don't see this being my main driver ever since there is simply too little functionality, but I would love to have it for testing out switches as it is perfect for that purpose.

Also, I hope that this thing has switch cutouts or else that paragraph I just wrote would be pointless...  :p
Quote from: elton5354
I don't need anymore keyboards

Offline R1N3

« Reply #9 on: Fri, 23 January 2015, 14:46:12 »
The reason I would like this board is very simple. I want to try 40% and see if a jd40 is right for me. I love compact boards, and my hhkb has all but taken residency on my desk at work. If I do get this board, I would probably do what you did with it Dustin. Try it out and type on it for a couple of months, and then send it on to the next user. If I like it, I buy a jd40, and if not, there's no problem, and either way, somebody else gets to try and enjoy this board after me. Thanks for running another giveaway dude!
The bar is high, folks..

Offline Badwrench

• * Destiny Supporter
  • ummmm.....I forgot
« Reply #10 on: Fri, 23 January 2015, 14:51:40 »
Sooooo, I am going to jump right in.  First off, awesome of you dustinhxc to be doing this giveaway and congrats to anyone that is lucky enough to win this board. 

As for myself, just the fact that the board is built with 62g blues already makes it something that I would love to own.  I have wanted to get one of these boards since they were first in the design phase, but just could never get past the truth of it not being the main board I would use at home.  Since then, I have thought about it some more and decided that if the funding ever came up, I would get one to build out almost exactly how this one is and build a little traveling case to take it back and forth to work with me in my lunch box.  This would be a perfect little stealth board to sneak into work and use instead of the nasty Dell oem chicklet boards that they supply - I feel dirty just using them.  Not only that, but this to me is exactly the board that you show your friends and family when you are trying to explain to them what a mechanical keyboard is and why it can be such a great hobby. 

Example:
Friend:  How can you have a hobby of keyboards?
Me:  Keyboards vary so much from one to the other and are truly the only way you interact with your computer which you spend so much time at.  Why not enjoy that time even more?
Friend:  I understand that, but what about when you are at work or on your tablet or something?
Me: (reaches into back pocket)  That is why you always carry one of these. 
Friend:   :eek:
Me:  (hands jd40 to friend so that he can understand the truth)
Friend:   :eek:   :thumb:  Instantly converted to the truth of mechanical keyboards - makes account on GH so that he can get upset about artisan sales.  Buys jd40 so that he can convert others.  Everyone lives happily ever after.   ;D

wut. i'd buy a ****ty IBM board for that green V2

Offline hwood34

• underwater squad
  • * Exalted Elder
  • #1 CL stan
    • Keyboard Illuminati
« Reply #11 on: Fri, 23 January 2015, 15:07:26 »
I'd really love to get this board for two main reasons. Firstly, most of my computer usage consists of typing papers, browsing, and gaming. Lately, I've mostly been playing FPSs and sports games, so I don't really need anything except the alphas and mods for a good percentage of the time. I'd also love to be able to test switches on it, since switch testers can't really give an accurate feel of the switches, and a small layout board would be absolutely perfect. And having a nice switch tester would be awesome to try out some new switches like Gaterons since I'm thinking of doing a GB for them. I'd also love to get a board to bring to school to use with my table (and maybe show off a little :p). I might have to change the switches so I'd keep all or most of my friends :)). Not sure that I could though, blues are the perfect switch.

Would I put on a different keyset? Unless DSA magically becomes good somehow, I'd probably have to do a giveaway for the dolch set and put some cherry on there ;)
IV KWK Info Thread & KBK Info Thread IV (out of date)

Old GBs: Gateron Switches (2015) | CF-LX R1 (2015) | CF-LX R2 (2017) | CF-LXXX (2017) | Gen.s Gem Caps (2015)

"Under no pretext should arms and ammunition be surrendered; any attempt to disarm the workers must be frustrated, by force if necessary"

Offline asdfjkl36

• blue shirt guy
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • --- Click Clacks and Cats --- -- Cyan > Purple --
« Reply #12 on: Fri, 23 January 2015, 15:15:05 »
Glad to see the long chain of giveaways.

Incredibly nice of you to give this JD40 away! Great board.

Good luck to all that enter :)

Offline Kira

• <3 <3 <3 <3
« Reply #13 on: Fri, 23 January 2015, 15:20:00 »
I love the form factor of the board, its nice and small, plus I've never tried a 40% keyboard!! I would mod this into my x220, and yes it is a lot of work but hey, I'm on vacation so I got all the time in the world ;) I would probably put something girly for the keyset. xD I think I deserve the board because I would do something different with it, not like most people who would just use it and toss in storage afterwards. I'd love to integrate it cleanly into my x220.  :cool:

Offline derb2k2

• Something of a Topre ****..
« Reply #14 on: Fri, 23 January 2015, 16:07:07 »
Having recently joined GH, I've found a somewhat niche community that has exposed me to an art and hobby I hope to enjoy for my remainder. Exposure to the different form factors and other modifications has opened my eyes (and wallet  ;)) to something that has made me very happy. At work, I'm known as the 'keyboard guy' and now routinely bring in my boards for others to test switches and sizes. I'm actively preaching the beauty and benefits of mechanical keyboards and tend to get overzealous at times but I make sure to stress all the important aspects of mechanicals before I fully annoy them and they leave. So far, I've brought 4 boards with different switches and form factors. Recently, I did a tour of my recently received (4 days) HHKB and explained the Topre switch to several guys who I had previously exposed to MX switches. I urged them to type on it and experience the fluidity of the keypresses and the great layout.  This jd40 keyboard looks beautiful and would love to show these guys the 40% form (which I haven't experienced) and feel of 62g springs. Of course, I would love to try this board myself but probably wouldn't modify it in any way since I'm not adept and haven't collected many keycap sets yet. I would take many pictures and type on it for a few days and analyze the nooks and crannies (bad scientist habit) before sending it off to another Geekhacker.

Cheers to all keyboard enthusiasts! 
HHKB | RF 45UB | Novatouch | Poker II Blue | QFR Browns | Rosewill RK-9000RE

Offline sethk_

• Grand Master Wizard Pizza
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • www.kbdhub.com
    • My webstore
« Reply #15 on: Fri, 23 January 2015, 16:10:25 »
GL to who ever wins, I wanted one originally, but now I realized I don't like having more than like a half layer of FN keys.

Offline Xonar

• Cathode Ray Tubes
    • DPS
« Reply #16 on: Fri, 23 January 2015, 16:24:07 »
Still can't believe how great all the folks here are that giveaways like this are actually possible. Makes me really glad to be part of this awesome community. Thanks for the giveaway, Dustin. Good luck to everyone!

I would absolutely love to have this board. I have nothing but large keyboards in my collection, and I'm on the go a lot, so it would be perfect to have a small, portable keyboard to accompany me, and to spread the influence of Geekhackers wherever I am.  ;D Not to mention a 40% would nicely balance my collection filled with heavy, huge, and ancient IBM boards.  ;)

I've always looked at the JD40 and admired it from afar, but I've never thought I'll ever own one. I've only tried one type of MX switch on a board, and that is MX Browns, on which I am typing this message. I don't mind them as much as most others, but I'm definitely ready to try a better MX switch. The 62g Blues in this one sound absolutely perfect, and it would really be a joy to get to try them out. Another thing I've been wanting to try out is DSA caps! I love the look of DSA caps, but I've never had a chance to see how I like typing on them. I especially love DSA caps in Dolch, so they'd be staying on if I won and ended up liking DSA.

IBM Model F XT 5291 Bigfoot x2 | Unicomp UN4KPHA JP Spacesaver M | IBM Model M 3270 APL 122-Key | SHARP X68000 | SGI AT-101 | Samsung TH-5539 FAME Blue Alps | IBM Japanese Pingmaster | HHKB Type-S | IBM Model M 1392595, 6/4/1990 | IBM Model M 1391401, 2/2/1988 | Lexmark-branded 1398601 Model M, 8/18/1995 | Unicomp UB40T5A 122-Key, 5/20/2011 | Sun Type 4 | Sun Type 5c | DEC LK-401AA

Offline sethk_

• Grand Master Wizard Pizza
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • www.kbdhub.com
    • My webstore
« Reply #17 on: Fri, 23 January 2015, 16:25:29 »
Still can't believe how great all the folks here are that giveaways like this are actually possible. Makes me really glad to be part of this awesome community. Thanks for the giveaway, Dustin. Good luck to everyone!

I would absolutely love to have this board. I have nothing but large keyboards in my collection, and I'm on the go a lot, so it would be perfect to have a small, portable keyboard to accompany me, and to spread the influence of Geekhackers wherever I am.  ;D Not to mention a 40% would nicely balance my collection filled with heavy, huge, and ancient IBM boards.  ;)

I've always looked at the JD40 and admired it from afar, but I've never thought I'll ever own one. I've only tried one type of MX switch on a board, and that is MX Browns, on which I am typing this message. I don't mind them as much as most others, but I'm definitely ready to try a better MX switch. The 62g Blues in this one sound absolutely perfect, and it would really be a joy to get to try them out. Another thing I've been wanting to try out is DSA caps! I love the look of DSA caps, but I've never had a chance to see how I like typing on them. I especially love DSA caps in Dolch, so they'd be staying on if I won and ended up liking DSA.
Blues are really nice, loud and clicky.

Offline limitz

• "the old gods stir and will not let me sleep..."
« Reply #18 on: Fri, 23 January 2015, 16:50:56 »
I'm interested in the JD40 because the I liked the original cause it was going to. Though I realize jdcarpe designed the keyboard, I first knew of it from the "smallfry" buy, where all profits from the board would have been donated. Although I joined GH after smallfry's time, I always admired the fact that the community kept his memory alive. We all want to make a mark on this world, and the fact that the original buy for the JD40 was meant to keep the memory of smallfry alive, meant a lot even for a person who was totally new to GH.

As far as what I would use the keyboard for, it would be included in my weekly travel kit. I work as a consultant, and I'm typically on the road for 80% of the year. For example, I'm traveling Monday-Thursday every week in the month of February (3 weeks in Topeka, KS... one week in Portland, ME). This weekly travel will likely keep up until mid-May (project is over), and I'll have a few weeks of respite, before the travel resumes again. You learn very quickly to pack light as a consultant, and NEVER to check a bag (saves time). I like the JD40 design because it very easily fits into my carry-on, but still provides the feedback/sturdiness I've come to expect from mechanicals. Moreover, due to it's small size, I can easily work on the airplane, and hopefully will act like a conversation starter as well. I'm sure most people have never seen anything like this, and if even one person adopts a mechanical keyboard due to the uniqueness of this design, then I think that will be worthy.

As far as keycaps go, I'll probably leave the DSA Dolch on there. I have the DSA Dolch kit on my fullsize CODE, but that keyboard is in my office. Due to my intense travel, I hardly ever go back to the office, and thus, rarely enjoy that set. The CODE just sits at my empty desk (I still have to mark my territory somehow). It'll be nice to finally enjoy DSA Dolch on a more regular basis.
« Last Edit: Fri, 23 January 2015, 16:53:27 by limitz »
Mmm... machined aluminum

Offline sidel

« Reply #19 on: Fri, 23 January 2015, 17:00:17 »
How incredibly generous of you.  Good luck to everyone entering.

Offline Jokrik

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #20 on: Fri, 23 January 2015, 17:08:12 »
Good luck everyone!
and that's so nice of you Dustin, kuddos!
Women always figure out the truth. Always. - Han Solo

Offline GL1TCH3D

• Audiophile, tea lover and now keyboard hugger!
« Reply #21 on: Fri, 23 January 2015, 17:28:03 »
To be honest I'd probably bring it around to convert people to the glorious Mechanical Keyboard Master Race (the keychains I have just don't do it)

I don't have anything clicky in my life to show to people and without the click it just doesn't click for people.

As for the keysets I'd use the red and green taihao mix of keys that my secret santa gave me <3

Why do I deserve it? I don't really deserve it at all. So good luck to the other contestants!

Offline Novus

• Formerly the1onewolf
  • * Exquisite Elder
  • Mondai nothing~
« Reply #22 on: Fri, 23 January 2015, 17:32:23 »
I would like this board because the photos you post are so amazing. From a photography standpoint, I just want to see what this board really looks like.
I'm also curious about custom keyboard craftsmanship. I'd probably put a set of blank keycaps on it and bring it around everywhere. Will also be great for use in the morning while sipping coffee on the porch  :thumb:

Offline GenKaan

• * Destiny Supporter
  • Mer caps, mindre käbbel
« Reply #23 on: Fri, 23 January 2015, 17:32:58 »
Im thinking about picking up a HHKB and need to practice on a small keyboard with non ISO layout, this would be perfect for me to kick it off the ground. Also looking to get a small keyboard to use as a "HitBox" arcade stick, so it will fill two purposes :)

Seen a few pop up and the JD40 looks absolutely amazing! Good luck to everyone
|| @Home:: Shine 3 TKL (Mx Red / Deep Space)  || @Work:: G2Pro (Mx Clear / Dye Sub PBT) ||
@Reserve:: HHKB (Topre 45g / Mixed PBT) // Das v3 (Mx Brown / Blank PBT)

Offline swill

• * Elevated Elder
  • builder & enabler
    • swillkb.com
« Reply #24 on: Fri, 23 January 2015, 17:35:33 »
I will not be joining this one as the 40% has proven to be smaller than I can manage. Thanks for the generosity with this. :)

Offline GL1TCH3D

• Audiophile, tea lover and now keyboard hugger!
« Reply #25 on: Fri, 23 January 2015, 17:37:13 »
I will not be joining this one as the 40% has proven to be smaller than I can manage. Thanks for the generosity with this. :)

Wait til the 20%s come out!

The trend is inevitable.

Sooner or later we'll even have 0% keyboards! *gasp*

Offline Kira

• <3 <3 <3 <3
« Reply #26 on: Fri, 23 January 2015, 18:52:48 »

Wait til the 20%s come out!

The trend is inevitable.

Sooner or later we'll even have 0% keyboards! *gasp*

lol you know it's not just keyboards that are getting smaller. Cases are getting smaller these days. People are moving down from ATX motherboards to mATX and ITX motherboards. So I guess we are seeing this trend in the PC industry. I'm glad I bought my custom lian li matx case back in 2011 hehe, powdercoated white inside and out ;) No wasted space at all. We are seeing this with keyboards especially! Most people now use TKL keyboards instead of full sized keyboards and I think here at GH most of us have at least one 60% keyboard :))

Offline Evo_Spec

• (╯°ヮ°)╯︵⌨
  • * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #27 on: Fri, 23 January 2015, 19:30:00 »
Wow, this community is truly amazing, Thanks for doing this Dustin.

To be honest this is gonna start off weird cause i'm gonna start off saying that i don't think i'm the most deserving of this but i would like to give it a shot.
The reason i'm entering is because a 40% interests me a lot but it's not a board that i ever see myself actually buying so this would be a great opportunity to try one out which is something i'd really like to do but would be an extremely difficult purchase to justify.
Another large reason i would like this board is because the 40% layout trims a lot of the "Fat" off the board and i would imagine that would help me teach my daughter typing because she currently gets distracted by the extra numbers and F-keys (doesn't help that i have artisan caps there....)
Some things i would do to is add stickers to the switches since it already has the clear stops to give a little more color and then later add some lighting inside frame to shine out because i'm a huge sucker for lighting. i'd probably also take the plate off and paint it to add some color since i like bright peripherals XD
I have not tried DSA yet so i'd give that a long try but i do have a set of Ducky PBT's i'd probably throw on there.

In the end after all that if i didn't end up liking it i'd just hold another giveaway to pass it off to someone who would enjoy it.

P.S. it's absolutely alright to ask people to cover shipping anytime IMO, especially with a whole board!

Thanks again Dustin, good luck everyone.
.                 .  
GON NerD TKL DTA Edition

Offline Geroximo

« Reply #28 on: Sat, 24 January 2015, 12:06:59 »
Wow, that's a great giveaway. You have my respect for doing this.
I don't want to participate, though.
I just came here to read the comments.
I almost had to throw up.
Grown men begging like little kids would beg for sweets. Disgusting.
"I would love this board because it is so awesome, it's the best keyboard on the planet. The JD40 would be the perfect board for my purpose."
Well ... why haven't you order it already then? Or order now. I'll even post you the link:
https://ctrlalt.io/store/items/jd40
Or "I need the JD40 for teaching my daughter how to type" ... are you serious?
Of course you cannot just teach her on your Poker, or your QFR, or your KUL, or your Leopold, or on any other board ...
This is just cheap ass begging.

Thank you for this awesome giveaway. I'm really impressed of so much generosity.  :thumb:
I hope you'll find a worthy owner for this board.

Offline kaotikb

« Reply #29 on: Sat, 24 January 2015, 12:13:50 »
What a great giveaway. The geekhack community is great.

I am not entering since I plan to build a keyboard when I have the time. Good luck everyone!
Ducky 1087 (Green ALPS) |  CM QFR Stealth (MX Brown) | Unicomp Ultra Classic |Poker II (MX Brown)  | IBM 1391401 1991 | IBM 1391401 1989 | Ducky Shine 3 White Edition (MX Brown) | G80-3700(MX Black) | Corsair K70 (MX Brown) | Varmillo VA87MR (Gateron Red)

Pointing Devices:  Microsoft Trackball Optical (Ceramic bearings Installed)  | Sanwa MA-TB39BK (Larger Ceramic Bearings Installed) | Elecom M-XT2URBK | Kensington Slimblade | Logitech Trackman Wheel | Logitech Trackman Marble Plus

Offline hwood34

• underwater squad
  • * Exalted Elder
  • #1 CL stan
    • Keyboard Illuminati
« Reply #30 on: Sat, 24 January 2015, 12:14:06 »
Wow, that's a great giveaway. You have my respect for doing this.
I don't want to participate, though.
I just came here to read the comments.
I almost had to throw up.
Grown men begging like little kids would beg for sweets. Disgusting.
"I would love this board because it is so awesome, it's the best keyboard on the planet. The JD40 would be the perfect board for my purpose."
Well ... why haven't you order it already then? Or order now. I'll even post you the link:
https://ctrlalt.io/store/items/jd40
Or "I need the JD40 for teaching my daughter how to type" ... are you serious?
Of course you cannot just teach her on your Poker, or your QFR, or your KUL, or your Leopold, or on any other board ...
This is just cheap ass begging.

Thank you for this awesome giveaway. I'm really impressed of so much generosity.  :thumb:
I hope you'll find a worthy owner for this board.
Well, it seems like most people in the thread are simply listing the reasons they would like the board in order to enter the giveaway, not begging for a board. And most of those reasons are legitimate like portability or a lack of need for the many keys a larger keyboard offers. And maybe they'd rather have one for free, even if it's to try it out first before buying one. How would you go about entering without sounding like a "Grown man begging like little kids would beg for sweets"?

Old GBs: Gateron Switches (2015) | CF-LX R1 (2015) | CF-LX R2 (2017) | CF-LXXX (2017) | Gen.s Gem Caps (2015)

"Under no pretext should arms and ammunition be surrendered; any attempt to disarm the workers must be frustrated, by force if necessary"

Online HendyZone

• HHKB Elite
  • * Vendor
    • MechanicalKeyboards.co.id
« Reply #31 on: Sat, 24 January 2015, 12:27:11 »
awesome giveaway from awesome people

Dustin you are the man <3 <3

Good luck all

Offline frosty

• jukebox hero
« Reply #32 on: Sat, 24 January 2015, 12:59:34 »
Well, I start off with a word of thanks to Dustin for this giveaway, really nice to see people coming up with awesome giveaways now and then.

Why would I like the board? I fell in love with 60% and knew that smaller size boards are for me. I want to try the 40% layout and see if I can go any smaller than 60%. Also, I would like to explore a whole new keyset, given I have only experienced Ducky blank pbts and stock Poker caps. I would also like to have my first custom built board so... yeap :)

Offline 3Love

• Bumpino Supremo
  • I want to become a great collector. Greedy!!!
    • https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=63161.0
« Reply #33 on: Sat, 24 January 2015, 13:14:41 »
Sweet Dustin! Nice board!
I♥Keyboard  I♥Clack  I♥Brobot  I♥Hammer
                          I♥♥♥friends 
【WTB/WTTF】https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=63161.0

KBD Collection: 356CL, 356.2, 356DGE, Koala, 356MINI, 356N, 356N-MK2, 356PAD, 360C, 456GT, FMJ, LZ-MXSE, LZ-RE, KMAC 1.0, KPAD, Duck Orion, Duck Pad, Exo, TEX and etc.

Offline Nai_Calus

• * Destiny Supporter
  • CLACK
« Reply #34 on: Sat, 24 January 2015, 17:41:37 »
This is an awesome thing to do, Dustin. :D

I'd like to have this because I've got an interest in 40% keyboards and think they're the coolest, most adorable little tiny things ever, but my budget just doesn't allow for trying them out when I've got a pingy derpy Monoprice board to save up to upgrade to something nicer that doesn't ping, and an older keyboad to save up to send off to someone for switch replacement on some dead switches.   :'( Especially since I have no depth perception and probably couldn't solder one up even if I knew how, so I'd have to get assembled ones.

I'd use this for travel and distraction-free typing when I'm writing, the tiny size and minimal layout would be good for carting around and keeping myself focused. OK, I'd also probably spend some time squeeing at it and holding and going on to anyone willing to listen about how tiny and cute and adorable it is. Not even gonna lie there.  :-[

Due to living in the sticks I haven't gotten to try any modded keys or alternate keycap styles because there aren't any other people around me with mechanical keyboards, so I'd leave it as-is 'cause I want to try DSA since so many cap group buys are in it.

As for why I deserve it, well, I don't think I really deserve anything, but if I got it it'd be an awesome opportunity to have something I'd not be able to get otherwise, and if I ended up not being able to work with the layout in practice, I'd give it away to someone else in need of it.  :thumb:

And asking for shipping cost is totally reasonable.
- IBM 4704 Model F 107-key "Bertha"
Other boards: Kinesis Essential, Infinity(G.Clears), Ergodox(MX Blues), Monoprice 9433

Eternally searching for Celestial Blue BS V2 and blue/purple Bros.

Offline MGH

• Lost in translation with a whole ****in' nation
« Reply #35 on: Sat, 24 January 2015, 17:54:39 »
I've always looked at 40% keyboards as a great portable board. They look small enough to put in your pocket and bring around everywhere. I would bring it around and use it to convert people to mechanical keyboards. I'm sure that people will go wow when they see it, and more people will join this awesome community :p

I would probably put on some DSA keycaps with some artisan caps in various spots. Its tiny, but also very versatile, so I will try to program it to do something cool. I'd love to get a nice little JD40 to just mess around with, and make this little keyboard have a big punch. ;D

Offline dustinhxc

• * Exalted Elder
  • IV
    • Gray Designs
« Reply #36 on: Sat, 24 January 2015, 18:30:18 »
Thanks everyone so far! :)

Offline Lain1911

• God of the Wired
« Reply #37 on: Sat, 24 January 2015, 19:08:15 »
One of the main reasons why I should be chosen is because I respect the GH community as well as mechanical keyboards. This would be a prized collection piece and I would be willing to give it away again if necessary and never consider reselling. I came to the community about a year ago with all the noob questions that new people bring and I have learned some of the ways of the wise.  Even though I’m still rough around the edges I managed to pick up a QFR and a Poker II with the advice of the people here. I use my QFR for gaming and my Poker II for heavy typing and since my Poker II are blues this JD40 would be a nice break in as I am again starting to write stories and such again. To be able to say I typed on a 40% is something most of my friends wouldn’t understand but I can feel in my heart. When I first started typing on mechanical keyboards I knew I would never go back to membrane and I believe the JD40 could be the next step up for me. I would love to type on this baby and get the feel and chills of the JD40 as it was meant to be appreciated.  :thumb:

Offline pr0ximity

« Reply #38 on: Sat, 24 January 2015, 20:22:34 »
Cool giveaway, and what a great board! I'd very much be interested in owning it for a multitude of reasons, the least one being I've never had a board with Blues!

But additionally, I'm really interested in getting more into custom boards. Until now all of mine have been pre-built, and I've never done any modifications to switches. I think a smaller model like this which has already been customized would be great to learn on. The form factor is great for being able to see the internals, from the way the plate is mounted to the clear switch covers. I'm hoping to build my own Korean custom in the coming year, and I think being able to learn from how this board was put together by a knowledgeable builder would be a great asset in that journey.

On another note, I would love a more portable board to be able to bring with me to work. A 40% is idea for this, especially given that I've been getting more into customizing my layouts to better match my workflow. I think a small board like this would further enable me to think about my form and develop a more ergonomic typing style. Having all of the keys on the board within such short reach is interesting, and I'd love to see how it would work out for me. My workplace is full of loud typists (10 feet from me sits someone who types on an SSK, a guy 15 feet from him uses a board with Blues) so the Blues wouldn't be a problem  :))

I also wouldn't mind having another board to put caps on, as I've been looking for my next GB to join. I think a 40% would look pretty awesome with Honeywell Sphericals on it :p

Thanks for considering me!
| Flickr | KMAC 1.2 | Koala | GSKT-00-Z | GSKT-00-AEK | GON NerD60 | Jane V2 CE | Whale | J80S | Ibis | Pro2 | Pro1 | 356mini | 356CL DGE | G80-5000 HAMDE | IBM 1390120 | IBM F AT | IBM F122 | IBM 3101 | Zenith Z-150

Offline SeeThruHead

« Reply #39 on: Sun, 25 January 2015, 00:43:58 »
Please write at least a paragraph or so, not just a simple line of text. Explain why you would like this board and what you would use it for.
Would you do anything to it? Is there a different keyset you'd put on it? Why do you deserve the board next? That's all, just enjoy the contest and keep the positive vibe going!  :thumb:

Want want want so bad. I basically want anything that JDCarpe has built/designed. Having something built by him would be amazing.

I would probably try and use the board as my daily driver with spacefn. I'm always taking my macbook around with me whether it's to work or to meetups/workshops, so having a 40% board would be great.

As for why I deserve it I'm not sure I deserve it more than anyone else posting in this thread. I love showing off my keyboard at work, meetups, workshops, my coding school, the coffee shop, the bus, on dates, at the gym....

I mentor for a program called ladies learning code in Toronto and soon I will be doing something with Kids Learning Code in the same space. I'm always a huge advocate for mechanical keyboards during my time there. Having something as nice as a JD40 would be a huge selling point to get people into the hobby.

When it comes to modifying I have a number of interesting things I would like to see if I can program into the firmware.
I'd like to create a website or tutorial to get web programmers like myself an easy introduction to firmware programming. (If you've got any input or suggestions on this i'm always on the geekhack IRC, i would love to hear them.) Unfortunately I currently don't have a teensy or a keyboard to connect one to so this JD40 would be a great piece of hardware to learn on.
As for keysets I currently have an uncontrollable urge to buy all the keysets so it would get a good variety put on it, though the dolch is probably nicer than anything that I have currently, so that's a huge plus.

dustinhxc so generous! (this is the best online community) you da bomb

gl everyone
« Last Edit: Sun, 25 January 2015, 01:02:06 by SeeThruHead »

Painted QFR          Poker 2

Offline Evo_Spec

• (╯°ヮ°)╯︵⌨
  • * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #40 on: Sun, 25 January 2015, 03:07:52 »
*edit* Sorry, ignore this. It was in poor taste.
« Last Edit: Sun, 25 January 2015, 05:28:02 by Evo_Spec »
.                 .  
GON NerD TKL DTA Edition

Offline TheSven

« Reply #41 on: Sun, 25 January 2015, 08:35:12 »
I've been wanting to try a smaller keyboard recently and I was going to settle for an Atomic, but then I saw this and thought why not. Some real MX switches wouldn't go amisss either, using some clicky SMKs I got on a board for £2 right now. Getting my Model M soon as well :D
I hope I win!

Offline awhitedev

« Reply #42 on: Sun, 25 January 2015, 08:54:23 »
Looks like a fun giveaway! Thank you for putting this together. I'd like to put my name in for it. I've never owned a 40% keyboard and I always thought this one just looks amazing. I've been looking for a keyboard for my new HTPC build and I think this (due to its small footprint) would fit the bill perfectly!

First off, I would put my granite DSA set on it that I just recently got from Massdrop; I think the gray on gray would just look really cool. Then, I'd try to find a way to attach a bluetooth adapter. (the one here for instance: http://handheldsci.com/kb) I have never seen this keyboard in person but I'd try to find a way to attach the BT PCB to the inside of the housing so that you wouldn't see the extra box and cable. This tiny, and completely wireless, keyboard would then be used in my living room as the HTPC keyboard. Sounds like a fun project anyways!

Thank you for your consideration!  :p

Offline iamtootallforthis

• Something a lot Funnier
  • * Global Moderator
  • I like green stuffs.
    • WTB/WTTF Thread
« Reply #43 on: Sun, 25 January 2015, 12:11:49 »
Thanks for doing this Dustin!

I have been looking for a more compact keyboard and the JD40 is just that. I would also like to pair this board with the JD45 I will be building in the near future. The keyset I would be using for this board will most likely be my Round 2 Granite set but I want to test out my GMK Dolch set on it first. I have heard great things about this board and would like a board that I could more easily travel with. I have also been looking to try out blue switches as my current board has browns.

Thanks again Dustin for doing this for the community! I know you will send this to a deserving member.

Offline Oatburner

« Reply #44 on: Sun, 25 January 2015, 14:15:18 »
I need this board because BunnyLake is taking too ****ing long to ship my JD40 I ordered 6 months ago.

Offline nubbinator

• Dabbler Supreme
  • * Maker
  • Model M "connoisseur"
« Reply #45 on: Sun, 25 January 2015, 14:17:22 »
I need this board because BunnyLake is taking too ****ing long to ship my JD40 I ordered 6 months ago.

Offline ullr

« Reply #46 on: Sun, 25 January 2015, 14:21:10 »
I would love this board! I have long known that I wanted a JD40, and I almost bought one. I am a student, and unemployed, so I have very limited funds for keyboards. I'll be receiving a Poker with Clears as my first mech in March, so this would be my second. In fact, I've considered a JD40 as one of only two or three keyboards that I'd like to own when all is said and done. I've never tried blues before, and as I imagine this keyboard doesn't go well with gaming (of which I do very little anyway), I think it might be the perfect switch for the form factor. I would use it absolutely the way it is, excepting software layout changes, and it would probably be my daily driver (or at least very frequently used) until I get my end game keyboard of a custom 60%. I'm not exactly a prominent member of GH ( Or DT or /r/MK for that matter ), so I don't have much to say as far as my deservedness.

Good luck to everyone else, if I don't get this one I'm sure a JD40 will make its way to me one day.

This is the layout I've designed for a JD40 when I get one. http://www.keyboard-layout-editor.com/#/layouts/8e475c42b16ca97cbebd95b1909f4810
« Last Edit: Sun, 25 January 2015, 14:33:19 by ullr »

Offline hwood34

• underwater squad
  • * Exalted Elder
  • #1 CL stan
    • Keyboard Illuminati
« Reply #47 on: Sun, 25 January 2015, 15:06:28 »

Offline berserkfan

• changing diapers is more fun than model f assembly
« Reply #48 on: Sun, 25 January 2015, 20:49:08 »
This is an awfully nice thing you’re doing, Dustin! Two thumbs and two big toes up!

OK, since you are offering a great staggered board that can be used on one hand, I can see an interesting opportunity worth exploring. Here’s my contribution and I’ll let you judge if it is suitable.

Originally I had no interest in the JD40 board. It doesn’t offer enough keys to be functional for me as a daily driver. Also I have another favourite layout already, split modified Colemak.

Recently I had a change of routine and found I needed to use a keyboard much more often while on the move. A split layout is not good for that, but a single big/ fullsize keyboard is also not good since I often need to hold something in the other hand because I will be on my feet. And I also find that my split layout keyboard is terrible on desks whenever I only have one free hand – I am unable to work while answering telephone calls for instance. So I have gotten interested in creating a one-handed ergonomic layout.

I was looking at the Matias one-handed keyboard, but was very disappointed by the exorbitant price. I think it is simply exploiting the disabled/ handicapped who have no choice to buy Matias’ keyboard. [Those familiar with my anti-cost rants know that I really am opposed to inflated prices and am a fan of making things affordable for everyone.]

I wouldn’t dare claim that I ‘deserve’ the keyboard. There are tons of ghers who contribute more to this community than me. (The creator of the JD40 being a notable example!) However, I might be able to use the board in a way that the Maker never envisioned, so it is worth exploring as my efforts might help the community.

I want to try the JD40 out as a versatile layout board:

1)   I have no intention of using it as a daily driver on a desk. I have bigger/ more functional boards, and it also does not contribute to geekhack knowledge or to any disabled people. (I have some involvement with disabled people so am somewhat more sympathetic to their struggles because things that are easy and straightforward for ‘normals’ could be very difficult for people with special needs.) 

2)   JD40 is compact and portable. I want to develop it as a one handed board with extensive functions and many keys, and in the meantime take advantage to explore staggered layouts rather than the matrix layouts that I have been using for the past few months.

3)   I normally find a full size spacebar a waste of space, but in this case a very accessible key is needed to trigger the function layer for one handed typing. So the spacebar is perfect. I will almost certainly change the Rwin to space and RAlt to return. I will use the RFV and right columns for all the alphanumerics, and EDC/ everything to its left for numpad and navigation/ tenkey depending on the layer being triggered. The goal being to achieve maximum functionality with a minimum number of keypresses while using this JD40 on my left hand.

4) In the meantime the JD40 will remain usable as a normal keyboard for two handed typing, of course. I will probably find some key combo that toggles between 1 and 2 handed use.

I don’t keep things that I have no use for. If in 6 months I have no satisfactory layout with this JD40 board, I will sell it for as much money as I can, and funnel the proceeds to a cause of my liking. Am pleased to say that Dorkvader’s Hall Effect Project has already been fully funded by yours truly from the proceeds over several months of intensive selling. And you Dustin, being  one of the many people who paid by gift to Dorkvader's account when you bought the MegaMillions keycap from me, were part of that!

My next pet project is the Ergodex and I will be talking about that in a couple months in hopes of finding some geekhackers interested in taking that further. So anything I get free from anyone, if I wind up selling it, can go to fund this.

[NOTE: Ergodex is not Ergodox. It is a free-layout keyboard design that offers much versatility, and it seems to use some kind of buckling sleeve magnetic capacitive technology that at present I don’t understand. Ergodex will give us the freedom to create our own custom layouts without needing any PCB!]

If I like the JD40 board I will keep it of course. For me liking is closely related to functionality, so the real ‘like’ is more about whether I can have a layout that suits my needs. The aesthetics of the board will not influence whether I keep it.

I will probably start out using a relegendable keyset on it. Relegendables are poor for travelling with since the lids can be lost, so once I have attained some traction with the layout I will get blanks and label them with labels from my Brother p-touch printer.

Thanks again for doing this giveaway! I hope my innovative proposal will inspire more people to come forward with responses that are helpful to all geeks!
« Last Edit: Sun, 25 January 2015, 20:54:59 by berserkfan »
Most of the modding can be done on your own once you break through the psychological barriers.

Offline ullr

« Reply #49 on: Sun, 25 January 2015, 21:13:21 »
This is an awfully nice thing you’re doing, Dustin! Two thumbs and two big toes up!

- snip -

Thanks again for doing this giveaway! I hope my innovative proposal will inspire more people to come forward with responses that are helpful to all geeks!

pshaw, the Matias Half Keyboard is hardly one-handed for a guy like Guts! I'd expect a Tipro with a few extra modules is about  "one-handed" for him. I suppose you could very ironically dub the JD40 the Dragonslayer if you win.