Poll

Which keyboard would you like to be toured?

Novatouch
2 (14.3%)
HHKB (Rubber band modded)
12 (85.7%)

Total Members Voted: 14

Author Topic: [AUS] HHKB Tour - Over  (Read 10970 times)

Offline Ludovician

Re: [AUS] HHKB Tour (Rubber band modded) - Underway
« Reply #100 on: Fri, 27 March 2015, 09:50:12 »
Eh, there are no marks for doing those, so none of us had to do it.

Speaking of activities that are a waste of time, though, the lecturer insists that all of our work is handwritten. I do it all by typing and then laboriously copy it in handwriting, which has no benefit whatsoever over simply handing in typed work, and it takes a couple of hours each week.
Typing speed:
More
Visit the Typing Test and try!

My collection:
More
HHKB Pro 2 (Blank, white) | HHKB Pro 2 Type-S (Blank, white) | Topre Realforce 87UB silent-modded (not currently functional) | Das Keyboard Model S Professional Silent (MX Brown) | IBM Model M 1391401 - 9th January 1991 (Bolt+Floss-modded) | Apple keyboard m0116 (Orange Alps) | Unidentified DIN Keyboard (White Alps) | ADDS 1010 (Green Alps) | AEK II (Linear-modded, USB-converted) | IBM PC-AT Model F | Noppoo Choc Mini (MX Black) | Amstrad PC2286 | BigKeys LX | IBM Model M 1391401 - 6th September 1990 | IBM Model M2 1395300 - 28th February 1991 | Leopold FC660C | Cherry G80-11802 (MX Brown) | Matias Tactile Pro (Simplfied grey Alps) | Razer Blackwidow (MX Blue) | Novatouch 55g | Focus FK-2001 (White alps) | DSE Multitech (Blue alps) | Dell AT101W (Matias quiet) | Pok3r (White w/Clears) | KBP V80 (Blue Alps)

Pending:
Infinity kit

Offline Bomble

« Reply #101 on: Fri, 27 March 2015, 10:07:58 »
I have to say I used to type and then write out homework for when I did French in high school. It was just so much easier to edit and change mistakes while I struggled through putting some paragraphs together, if I tried to write it out on paper the first time it would turn out an absolute mess.

Offline Ludovician

« Reply #102 on: Fri, 27 March 2015, 10:47:02 »
That is one of the reasons I do it that way. Another reason is that I can actually focus on my work while I'm typing because it doesn't require effort after doing it for many hours a day every day for the last 10 years, whereas writing is so slow and takes too much of my concentration for me to really focus on thinking instead of writing.
Typing speed:
More

My collection:
More
HHKB Pro 2 (Blank, white) | HHKB Pro 2 Type-S (Blank, white) | Topre Realforce 87UB silent-modded (not currently functional) | Das Keyboard Model S Professional Silent (MX Brown) | IBM Model M 1391401 - 9th January 1991 (Bolt+Floss-modded) | Apple keyboard m0116 (Orange Alps) | Unidentified DIN Keyboard (White Alps) | ADDS 1010 (Green Alps) | AEK II (Linear-modded, USB-converted) | IBM PC-AT Model F | Noppoo Choc Mini (MX Black) | Amstrad PC2286 | BigKeys LX | IBM Model M 1391401 - 6th September 1990 | IBM Model M2 1395300 - 28th February 1991 | Leopold FC660C | Cherry G80-11802 (MX Brown) | Matias Tactile Pro (Simplfied grey Alps) | Razer Blackwidow (MX Blue) | Novatouch 55g | Focus FK-2001 (White alps) | DSE Multitech (Blue alps) | Dell AT101W (Matias quiet) | Pok3r (White w/Clears) | KBP V80 (Blue Alps)

Pending:
Infinity kit

Offline Bomble

« Reply #103 on: Sat, 28 March 2015, 00:07:47 »
Exactly, typing can be so easily done without too much thought. Writing is so laborious and focus-consuming.

Offline Jersern

• Australian Keyboard Modding and Repair Service
« Reply #104 on: Tue, 31 March 2015, 00:15:27 »
I got my HHKB back today! And I also fixed it :D The ribbon cable came a little loose somehow.

Well thank you to everyone that participated.

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
Re: [AUS] HHKB Tour - Over
« Reply #105 on: Tue, 31 March 2015, 00:34:16 »
I got my HHKB back today! And I also fixed it :D The ribbon cable came a little loose somehow.

Thank you for the generous loan of your valuable HHKB (not that I participated, having an HHKB already, but).

Akso it is good that there was a simple fix for the problem :)
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline Ludovician

« Reply #106 on: Tue, 31 March 2015, 00:39:58 »
Good to hear that it was an easy fix. I was tempted to ask you if it was alright to open it and check for obvious problems while I had it, but I mainly wanted it to test how much of an impact the reduced travel distance causes.

It was still good to type on, but I have to say it's notably worse than the stock HHKB and Type-S in feeling.
Typing speed:
More

My collection:
More

Pending:
Infinity kit

Offline nmur

• ಠ_ಠ
« Reply #107 on: Tue, 31 March 2015, 01:35:13 »

That's a relief!

It's a shame, but at least everyone got to experience the feel of the dental band mod (or in my case, the first time with topre).

Thanks again for the tour!

Offline Jersern

• Australian Keyboard Modding and Repair Service
« Reply #108 on: Tue, 31 March 2015, 02:15:54 »
Definitely great that it wasn't anything serious. :)

Offline Ludovician

« Reply #109 on: Tue, 31 March 2015, 02:29:16 »
That's a relief!

It's a shame, but at least everyone got to experience the feel of the dental band mod (or in my case, the first time with topre).

So what were your impressions of Topre?
Typing speed:
More

My collection:
More

Pending:
Infinity kit

Offline nmur

• ಠ_ಠ
« Reply #110 on: Tue, 31 March 2015, 08:01:52 »
That's a relief!

So what were your impressions of Topre?
I had a strong suspicion that would like it, but wouldn't prefer it over Cherry's, just because of how strong of a preference I have for crisp, tactile switches. My suspicions were true, but I was actually surprised at how pleasant they felt. I liked the softness, and how rigid the caps felt on the switches (I don't like the wobbliness of Cherry's).

Offline Ludovician

« Reply #111 on: Tue, 31 March 2015, 08:05:56 »
Ah, fair enough.

I don't think I've given Cherry a fair chance yet. My only Cherry board is a Das with browns, and I don't like it at all. I have yet to try any other Cherry types.

The HHKB feels kinda soft and buttery, and I think part of that is because it's not plate-mounted and the whole board is very light. I'm using the 55g Realforce right now, and 55g Topre surprisingly feels very different from 45g. Significantly stiffer. Overall I think I prefer 45g. Been taking my HHKB to uni lately.
Typing speed:
More

My collection:
More

Pending:
Infinity kit

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #112 on: Sat, 04 April 2015, 04:17:06 »
Ah, fair enough.

I don't think I've given Cherry a fair chance yet. My only Cherry board is a Das with browns, and I don't like it at all. I have yet to try any other Cherry types.

The HHKB feels kinda soft and buttery, and I think part of that is because it's not plate-mounted and the whole board is very light. I'm using the 55g Realforce right now, and 55g Topre surprisingly feels very different from 45g. Significantly stiffer. Overall I think I prefer 45g. Been taking my HHKB to uni lately.

The RealForce is also plate-mounted, which adds a fairly significant amount of weight and stabilisation to the keyboard.
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline Ludovician

« Reply #113 on: Sat, 04 April 2015, 05:21:47 »
Yeah, it definitely does feel a lot more solid.

I want to try to 55g-mod my HHKB at some point, but I don't want to ruin a perfectly good RF87 to do it.
Typing speed:
More

My collection:
More

Pending:
Infinity kit

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #114 on: Sat, 04 April 2015, 05:41:25 »
Yeah, it definitely does feel a lot more solid.

I want to try to 55g-mod my HHKB at some point, but I don't want to ruin a perfectly good RF87 to do it.

Not much other choice, unfortunately.  55g domes are not generally available apart from in a RealForce keyboard :(