Poll

Which keyboard would you like to be toured?

Novatouch
2 (14.3%)
HHKB (Rubber band modded)
12 (85.7%)

Total Members Voted: 14

Author Topic: [AUS] HHKB Tour - Over  (Read 11011 times)

Offline Jersern

• Australian Keyboard Modding and Repair Service
Re: [AUS] HHKB Tour (Rubber band modded) - Applications Closing Very Soon
« Reply #50 on: Thu, 05 March 2015, 05:16:53 »
I will be kicking off the tour extra early. In fact, next week. Get your applications in before the 13th of March 2015. I will lock the application form after that. Feel free to email me though if you still have any concerns or you really want to join but no guarantees after the 13th of March.

Offline nmur

• ಠ_ಠ
Re: [AUS] HHKB Tour (Rubber band modded) - Applications Closing 13/03/15
« Reply #51 on: Mon, 09 March 2015, 07:12:45 »
Here it is on it's first leg of the tour!

More

I still feel comfortable with my full size iKBC board next to it, but for the most part, the learning curve has been pretty relenting, which is probably due to being able to touch type, and already being used to having caps lock as ctrl. The navigation function cluster actually works really well too, which actually surprised me. I probably wrote around 200-300 lines of code with it today.

And of course, it feels lovely  :)

Thanks again to Jersern, should be a fun week.

Offline tkim

« Reply #52 on: Mon, 09 March 2015, 08:29:36 »
Good luck with this, I recently went Topre and I've been trying to sell my mx blue filco minila since!

:D

Offline Ludovician

« Reply #53 on: Mon, 09 March 2015, 09:32:46 »
Any specific steps you need to take while flipping the spacebar? I'll want to flip it back when it gets to me, and not sure how the stabilisers work in these.
Typing speed:
More
Visit the Typing Test and try!

My collection:
More
HHKB Pro 2 (Blank, white) | HHKB Pro 2 Type-S (Blank, white) | Topre Realforce 87UB silent-modded (not currently functional) | Das Keyboard Model S Professional Silent (MX Brown) | IBM Model M 1391401 - 9th January 1991 (Bolt+Floss-modded) | Apple keyboard m0116 (Orange Alps) | Unidentified DIN Keyboard (White Alps) | ADDS 1010 (Green Alps) | AEK II (Linear-modded, USB-converted) | IBM PC-AT Model F | Noppoo Choc Mini (MX Black) | Amstrad PC2286 | BigKeys LX | IBM Model M 1391401 - 6th September 1990 | IBM Model M2 1395300 - 28th February 1991 | Leopold FC660C | Cherry G80-11802 (MX Brown) | Matias Tactile Pro (Simplfied grey Alps) | Razer Blackwidow (MX Blue) | Novatouch 55g | Focus FK-2001 (White alps) | DSE Multitech (Blue alps) | Dell AT101W (Matias quiet) | Pok3r (White w/Clears) | KBP V80 (Blue Alps)

Pending:
Infinity kit

Offline Jersern

« Reply #54 on: Mon, 09 March 2015, 15:13:00 »
Just pull it off. Nothing special about the stabs.

Offline zizard

« Reply #55 on: Thu, 12 March 2015, 04:32:44 »
I actually lived on the Gold Coast until about 2 months ago. I am now at Wollongong.

Don't hold your breath for the Aussie dollar, it is unlikely to be any stronger against US in particular, and no real reason to expect anything other than small fluctuations against Japan. This is because China's growth is weakening. The difference that 5-10% of currency exchange rate makes is not very much; $15-30 on $300. It's not really worth the time or effort to hold out for that.

I use a Majestouch TKL Blue at home and Kailh browns at work (I was poor at the time). I recently ordered a Majestouch 2 TKL Brown from mechkb. If I decide I prefer Topres, I will buy a Realforce TKL and sell the Browns.

Offline Bomble

« Reply #56 on: Thu, 12 March 2015, 07:44:24 »
Don't hold your breath for the Aussie dollar, it is unlikely to be any stronger against US in particular, and no real reason to expect anything other than small fluctuations against Japan. This is because China's growth is weakening. The difference that 5-10% of currency exchange rate makes is not very much; $15-30 on $300. It's not really worth the time or effort to hold out for that.

On that note, I received an email from MechKB saying that they have place an order with Topre and are expecting arrival in the next few weeks. Though that was a few days ago and it's still not on their incoming products page. Hopefully it'll pop up there soon.

Offline nmur

• ಠ_ಠ
« Reply #57 on: Thu, 12 March 2015, 18:37:09 »
I sent off the keyboard to the next person this morning. Sad to see it go.

On an unrelated note, the computers at the post office at Chatswood are using Cherry brand keyboards. However when I used one to type in my email address for a digital receipt, they were unfortunately rubber dome.

Offline Ludovician

« Reply #58 on: Thu, 12 March 2015, 21:52:06 »
Yeah, Cherry rubber domes are disappointing. You see the brand and associate it with the switches, and think that they'd probably be vintage Cherry. Then it turns out to be a dome.

Source: I bought one on ebay for $15 without confirming what type it was.
Typing speed:
More

My collection:
More
HHKB Pro 2 (Blank, white) | HHKB Pro 2 Type-S (Blank, white) | Topre Realforce 87UB silent-modded (not currently functional) | Das Keyboard Model S Professional Silent (MX Brown) | IBM Model M 1391401 - 9th January 1991 (Bolt+Floss-modded) | Apple keyboard m0116 (Orange Alps) | Unidentified DIN Keyboard (White Alps) | ADDS 1010 (Green Alps) | AEK II (Linear-modded, USB-converted) | IBM PC-AT Model F | Noppoo Choc Mini (MX Black) | Amstrad PC2286 | BigKeys LX | IBM Model M 1391401 - 6th September 1990 | IBM Model M2 1395300 - 28th February 1991 | Leopold FC660C | Cherry G80-11802 (MX Brown) | Matias Tactile Pro (Simplfied grey Alps) | Razer Blackwidow (MX Blue) | Novatouch 55g | Focus FK-2001 (White alps) | DSE Multitech (Blue alps) | Dell AT101W (Matias quiet) | Pok3r (White w/Clears) | KBP V80 (Blue Alps)

Pending:
Infinity kit

Offline zizard

« Reply #59 on: Mon, 16 March 2015, 02:45:27 »
Just got back from work, have received it. I can't get it to work. Random keys will either not register or get stuck on repeat.

Hitting every white key on the keyboard:
124680-=\`
qwryuiop[/]
adgjkl;'
zxvnm,....
...yuyug

The . which started repeating and then I spammed a few keys.

DIP is 1 3 5

Offline nmur

• ಠ_ಠ
« Reply #60 on: Mon, 16 March 2015, 05:45:09 »
Just got back from work, have received it. I can't get it to work. Random keys will either not register or get stuck on repeat.

Hitting every white key on the keyboard:
124680-=\`
qwryuiop[/]
adgjkl;'
zxvnm,....
...yuyug

The . which started repeating and then I spammed a few keys.

DIP is 1 3 5

That's funny, I had a similar thing happen to me twice during the week. Once, the first time I connected it, and then once more later on in the week. It would lock on a key and just repeat itself like you said. Both times were fixed by reconnecting the usb cable. I just assumed that it was Windows having trouble with two keyboards be connected at the same time or something, so I didn't think much of it. But it is strange that you're getting the same thing.

Has it worked normally at all yet?

Offline zizard

« Reply #61 on: Mon, 16 March 2015, 08:01:17 »
No, in fact when I got home I connected it before turning on the computer and it prevented it from booting. So I have never had it work. Having same problem with the laptop. Reconnecting it doesn't change anything.

Offline Jersern

« Reply #62 on: Tue, 17 March 2015, 05:29:25 »
This is very odd. I've had no such issues with it in my large amount of use.

Offline nmur

• ಠ_ಠ
Re: [AUS] HHKB Tour (Rubber band modded) - Underway
« Reply #63 on: Tue, 17 March 2015, 06:04:29 »
My work pc stays on 24/7, and I was disconnecting the keyboard to lock it away each night, so I didn't experience any prevented boot ups.

Have you tried any different DIP switch configurations?

Offline zizard

« Reply #64 on: Tue, 17 March 2015, 09:58:43 »
No, I left it on 1 3 5. Might give it a go. Same problem on work computers.

Offline Jersern

« Reply #65 on: Tue, 17 March 2015, 15:19:42 »
Just checking but up don't happen to be on macs right...?

Offline zizard

« Reply #66 on: Tue, 17 March 2015, 16:46:45 »
What's up? Everything I've tried is a windows computer.

Offline Huxley2500

« Reply #67 on: Tue, 17 March 2015, 17:56:07 »
Voted for HHKB.

Not Australian.

Much sadness.

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #68 on: Tue, 17 March 2015, 21:49:33 »
Just checking but up don't happen to be on macs right...?

FWIW I use my HHKB on my Mac pretty much exclusively, and have never had anything remotely like this happen.
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline nmur

• ಠ_ಠ
« Reply #69 on: Tue, 17 March 2015, 22:25:24 »
What's up? Everything I've tried is a windows computer.

I only used it on a Windows machine too.

Offline Ludovician

« Reply #70 on: Wed, 18 March 2015, 05:43:41 »
I'll let you know if I have any problems with it when it gets to me, Jersern. I will also be using it exclusively on Windows.
Typing speed:
More

My collection:
More

Pending:
Infinity kit

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #71 on: Thu, 19 March 2015, 04:48:21 »
Remember, guys, if you want to change the DIP switch settings, make sure you unplug the keyboard, change the setting, then plug it back in.

HHKB does not recognise switch changes while still plugged in.
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline zizard

« Reply #72 on: Sat, 21 March 2015, 20:05:56 »
For some reason it decided to work today.

Offline Ludovician

« Reply #73 on: Tue, 24 March 2015, 18:35:07 »
OK, I just got the keyboard and so far it has been almost completely unresponsive. Most times it just doesn't do anything. Once it was sending out gibberish. What did you guys have to do to get it to work?
Typing speed:
More

My collection:
More

Pending:
Infinity kit

Offline Jersern

« Reply #74 on: Wed, 25 March 2015, 01:03:59 »
That's really odd. It worked fine when I was using it. Did anyone take it apart............................................? :confused: (Well I hope no one took it apart....) If you're on OSX you will need to get the dedicated drivers and change the dip settings. If you're on windows try changing the DIP settings.

Offline Moralless

« Reply #75 on: Wed, 25 March 2015, 01:10:57 »
That's really odd. It worked fine when I was using it. Did anyone take it apart............................................? :confused: (Well I hope no one took it apart....) If you're on OSX you will need to get the dedicated drivers and change the dip settings. If you're on windows try changing the DIP settings.

That sucks Jersern :( If you need it, I can donate the controller from my HHKB if you think that might be the reason for the malfunction. I'm getting one of Hasu's BT controller pretty soon so I don't mind giving away the stock one from my hhkb.

Offline Jersern

« Reply #76 on: Wed, 25 March 2015, 04:09:30 »
If you can do that, it would be amazing but first I'll see if I can work out the root of the problem when I get it back.

Offline Ludovician

« Reply #77 on: Wed, 25 March 2015, 04:22:41 »
So, since this isn't working I might just send it back to you. I'm the last person in the tour, right?

Email me your address, please. Also, if I do this would you mind if I send it non-express? Save a few bucks that way.
Typing speed:
More

My collection:
More

Pending:
Infinity kit

Offline Moralless

« Reply #78 on: Wed, 25 March 2015, 04:27:46 »
If you can do that, it would be amazing but first I'll see if I can work out the root of the problem when I get it back.

Yeah just let me know if you're able to fix it or not. Only thing is that I wouldn't be able to send it until I get my BT controller from hasu which I'm expecting it to be made within a month or so.

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #79 on: Wed, 25 March 2015, 04:43:25 »

Mine works fine on my Mac without any special drivers.

The only thing you'd need the drivers for is the volume keys.

Offline Jersern

« Reply #80 on: Wed, 25 March 2015, 04:45:53 »
Well I haven't used OSX in like 3 years (windows on my iMac lol) so I am was just basing it off what I read somewhere. None the less, I am really just kinda concerned that someone might have opened up my HHKB since this time around I didn't put any security tape on it. Might just be a cable working its own way lose through all that shipping though...

Offline nmur

• ಠ_ಠ
« Reply #81 on: Wed, 25 March 2015, 06:42:39 »
Wow that's pretty unfortunate  :(

Just to clear anything up (being the first person in the tour and all), I'll say again that I experienced the unresponsive/key repeating issue on the first time I plugged it in an tried it out, then after reconnecting the USB cable, it worked perfectly fine for the rest of the week, except one morning throughout the week, where I experienced the same issue again.

I most definitely didn't take it apart; the extent of my fiddling was changing the DIP switches while the kb wasn't disconnected, and popping off one cap. I kept it at work the entire week, locking it away in my desk after each day.

I didn't try another USB cable, but it seems unlikely that a bad cable could be responsible for this type of behaviour. I hope it really isn't anything too serious though...

Offline Ludovician

« Reply #82 on: Wed, 25 March 2015, 06:49:44 »
Thanks for reminding me, I need to re-flip the spacebar before sending it back to Jersern. It took me about 30 seconds to find the spring the first time I flipped it  :cool:

It's definitely not the cable. I've tried Jersern's cable and my own, and it doesn't work on either of them.
« Last Edit: Wed, 25 March 2015, 06:51:37 by Ludovician »
Typing speed:
More

My collection:
More

Pending:
Infinity kit

Offline Jersern

« Reply #83 on: Wed, 25 March 2015, 07:18:26 »
Well I'll give it a small clean and take it apart when I get it back. I wonder whats wrong...

Regardless, I won't be online much till the end of next week as I have an exam block.

Offline Ludovician

« Reply #84 on: Wed, 25 March 2015, 07:21:32 »
Good luck.

I've been drooling over keyboards when I should have been studying for the past three weeks (Uni started 3 weeks ago for me), so I'm way behind by now. Dreading the exams.
Typing speed:
More

My collection:
More

Pending:
Infinity kit

Offline Bomble

« Reply #85 on: Wed, 25 March 2015, 08:31:58 »
Good luck.

I've been drooling over keyboards when I should have been studying for the past three weeks (Uni started 3 weeks ago for me), so I'm way behind by now. Dreading the exams.

UQ?

Offline Ludovician

« Reply #86 on: Wed, 25 March 2015, 09:35:44 »
Griffith. In my last year of IT.

I wish I could've gone to a better one. The logistics of travel would have been too much, I think.

I'm on the Gold Coast.
Typing speed:
More

My collection:
More

Pending:
Infinity kit

Offline Jersern

« Reply #87 on: Wed, 25 March 2015, 15:57:34 »
Senior high school here //cries

Offline Bomble

« Reply #88 on: Wed, 25 March 2015, 16:46:09 »
Damn, fair enough. I'm right near the Brisbane CBD so UQ is perfect for me! I'm only a first year though, straight out of private high-school. I know your pain Jersern :(

Offline Ludovician

« Reply #89 on: Wed, 25 March 2015, 19:16:48 »
Ah, private high school. I'm envious. All my siblings went to Trinity Lutheran College whereas I was finishing primary school around the time my parents split up. I'm the youngest, obviously. Went through three public high schools before dropping out in grade 11 because it wasn't an adequate learning environment. I swear that set my education back 5 years or more.

What are you studying, Bomble?
Typing speed:
More

My collection:
More

Pending:
Infinity kit

Offline Ludovician

« Reply #90 on: Wed, 25 March 2015, 22:48:24 »
Alright, the HHKB is on its way back home.

I couldn't resist taking this picture before I left to go to the post office:
More
Good feeling of oneness with cup rubber
Typing speed:
More

My collection:
More

Pending:
Infinity kit

Offline Jersern

« Reply #91 on: Thu, 26 March 2015, 00:26:15 »
Beautiful collection of cup rubber you have thetr :eek:

Offline Bomble

« Reply #92 on: Thu, 26 March 2015, 23:58:35 »
Ah, private high school. I'm envious. All my siblings went to Trinity Lutheran College whereas I was finishing primary school around the time my parents split up. I'm the youngest, obviously. Went through three public high schools before dropping out in grade 11 because it wasn't an adequate learning environment. I swear that set my education back 5 years or more.

What are you studying, Bomble?

Ouch, it's awesome to hear that you made it through uni though. Well done. I'm studying psychology so soon I will read minds ;) (that's how it works, right?)

Offline Ludovician

« Reply #93 on: Fri, 27 March 2015, 00:48:07 »
I wouldn't want to read minds. Scary things happen in minds. I'd rather read books.
Typing speed:
More

My collection:
More

Pending:
Infinity kit

Offline Bomble

« Reply #94 on: Fri, 27 March 2015, 04:06:06 »
Scary things happen in books, too!

Offline Jersern

« Reply #95 on: Fri, 27 March 2015, 04:54:32 »

Hahahaha. Still love my books though. Nothing is too scary! :p

Offline Ludovician

« Reply #96 on: Fri, 27 March 2015, 06:05:16 »

Yeah, like when Snape kills Dumbledore or it gets to the end of the chapter and gives you revision questions.
Typing speed:
More

My collection:
More

Pending:
Infinity kit

Offline Bomble

« Reply #97 on: Fri, 27 March 2015, 07:31:07 »
Definitely more so the latter than the former.

Offline Ludovician

« Reply #98 on: Fri, 27 March 2015, 07:53:08 »
A couple of weeks ago I was reading my textbook for my network security class. It was one of the intro chapters explaining about basic substitution ciphers such as Caesar and Vignere. Anyway, one of the revision questions gave me a large string of characters and said "This is done using a substitution cipher. Figure it out" or something along those lines. You're supposed to figure it out by analysing how often certain characters appear and arbitrarily assuming that they are the most commonly used English letters such as E or T, and going from there.

No time for that.
Typing speed:
More

My collection:
More

Pending:
Infinity kit

Offline Bomble

« Reply #99 on: Fri, 27 March 2015, 09:28:00 »
I really hope that they didn't expect you to do that successfully. That sounds terrifying