Author Topic: [GB] GMK Triumph Adler. Pics posted...  (Read 363848 times)

Offline madhias

• BS TORPE
    • Madhias' Flickr
Re: [GB] GMK Triumph Adler. Pics posted...
« Reply #1600 on: Fri, 07 August 2015, 08:13:32 »
The set is really great, as said before Intelli did a fantastic job, the color combination is great and the TA color is not too intense. The TA color is really hard to catch correctly, mostly (at least for me) it turns out much too bluish. In reality the color is very greenish, I can't describe it in English language... On all images below the color looks different, I am too lazy to edit correctly (already played around a little bit), you just have to see it in reality :)

Mounted for comparison on a filthy G81 keyboard:

The color is just lovely! I can understand now why the OG TA keyboards must be great in reality.

The light grey alphas are really light grey, you could also call it a dirty white, or rather bluish white. To the alphas it just fits, so nothing to complain.

But I HATE those trays. Maybe I am too stupid, or I don't understand it, but I would prefer a normal plastic bag over those trays - or a carton board box, just not these trays made of plastic, which when you don't touch carefully the caps flip around. Maybe this box is already worn out due to shipping, but the caps never stay in the rows. Then open it up carefully, because if done not carefully, all caps pop out in a mess. The inventor should open up 100 trays, and close them again, for at least a week.

... ...

Offline iamtootallforthis

• Something a lot Funnier
  • * Global Moderator
  • I like green stuffs.
    • WTB/WTTF Thread
« Reply #1601 on: Fri, 07 August 2015, 08:38:05 »
The set is really great, as said before Intelli did a fantastic job, the color combination is great and the TA color is not too intense. The TA color is really hard to catch correctly, mostly (at least for me) it turns out much too bluish. In reality the color is very greenish, I can't describe it in English language... On all images below the color looks different, I am too lazy to edit correctly (already played around a little bit), you just have to see it in reality :)

Show Image

Show Image

The color is just lovely! I can understand now why the OG TA keyboards must be great in reality.

Show Image

The light grey alphas are really light grey, you could also call it a dirty white, or rather bluish white. To the alphas it just fits, so nothing to complain.

Show Image

But I HATE those trays. Maybe I am too stupid, or I don't understand it, but I would prefer a normal plastic bag over those trays - or a carton board box, just not these trays made of plastic, which when you don't touch carefully the caps flip around. Maybe this box is already worn out due to shipping, but the caps never stay in the rows. Then open it up carefully, because if done not carefully, all caps pop out in a mess. The inventor should open up 100 trays, and close them again, for at least a week.

Show Image

These pictures really make me regret not getting in on this buy! The colors look great!

The multiple other pictures in this thread though make me happy I didn't get into the buy though.

Offline inanis

• Truly Literally The Cloud
  • * Destiny Supporter
    • SEALWoodworking
« Reply #1602 on: Fri, 07 August 2015, 08:56:40 »

Show Image

Show Image

Show Image

Show Image

Show Image

These are some great pictures! They capture the colors very well.

I do have one of my alpha keys that has some swirl marks in it. It is on the front of the key so it isn't hard to spot on the board. HOWEVER, I think this is a minor problem in my set. It won't detract from how much I like it. As for the whole row mismatch thing, I use a 60%, basically 100% of the time, so I bought into this knowing that I wouldn't be affected by it. I suppose if I was using TKL or full size there is a chance I wouldn't have liked that particular feature. As it stand though, I really like this set. I think the colors are great, and they feel fantastic. I try to look at the positive side of things, and for me, the good outweighs the bad on this one.

Some hearts are gallows, I'm not here for hangin' around

Offline Dansor

« Reply #1603 on: Fri, 07 August 2015, 09:45:01 »
Thought I'd post a pic of these bad boys on my NovaTouch.
They arrived yesterday, without any obvious flaws, and I could not be happier with them.

Thanks, Intelli, for all the hard work.  It totally paid off IMO.

107619-0

Offline Dee1

« Reply #1604 on: Fri, 07 August 2015, 09:50:36 »
I received my set yesterday. It survived the journey to my house without falling out of the plastic casing or being tossed around inside it. :D The box it came in, however, was split along one of the openings... but nothing was lost so I'm happy! :)

I just want to say thanks to intelli for organizing this. I'm very happy with how it turned out! :) Though reading through this thread makes me realize I should probably check the caps more closely.

Offline beehatch

• baehatch
  • * Exquisite Elder
« Reply #1605 on: Fri, 07 August 2015, 10:25:59 »
Welp, just sent my keyset off in the mail. Let's hope for the best with the replacement set. In hindsight, this is really seeming like a GMK quality issue. I can at least hope for a set with less scratches than what I had.  :rolleyes:

Offline NorrisB

« Reply #1606 on: Fri, 07 August 2015, 10:36:40 »
So pissed all this waiting for damaged scratched key caps

Offline jbondeson

« Reply #1607 on: Fri, 07 August 2015, 10:54:50 »
My package finally hit my local post office this morning. So I'll get to see it tonight when I get home.

It's gone through 3 UPS centers, and 2 USPS locations... So lord only knows what I'm going to find in the box.

Offline PrinsPils

« Reply #1608 on: Fri, 07 August 2015, 11:04:14 »
Thought I'd post a pic of these bad boys on my NovaTouch.
They arrived yesterday, without any obvious flaws, and I could not be happier with them.

Thanks, Intelli, for all the hard work.  It totally paid off IMO.

(Attachment Link)
That looks so amazing!!!

Offline VinnyCordeiro

« Reply #1609 on: Fri, 07 August 2015, 11:04:15 »
Massdrop broke the silence (FINALLY!):

Hey everyone,

We want the community to know that we've been reading the discussion and are aware of the poor packaging; rest assured that your disappointment is not going unheard.

We are sorry for any of the keycaps that showed up in anything less than stellar condition. If any of your keycaps are showing up with dings or scratches please reach out to us at so we can help to correct any issues you may be experiencing.

We chose these trays specifically to ensure smooth fulfillment so believe us when we say we’re disappointed and shocked along with the community. We've made it very clear to our fulfillment center that the packaging for these orders was insufficient and have instructed them to package future shipments in smaller boxes and use more appropriate internal packaging techniques. Additionally, we have given our feedback to GMK about the trays and until they are further tested we will avoid using them, reverting back to standard bags for delivery of future GMK orders.

We do have a number of replacement sets on hand for fulfillment issues, and we believe there will be enough extras to accommodate the exchanges.

We want you to know that we’re learning from this experience and will make changes so these issues do not happen again. In the end, this is all about getting you quality keyboard products that you love — and if that’s not happening for any reason, then it’s a problem for us. So do not hesitate to contact support if your set has any damage - we will make things right for you.

Thanks,
Kunal and Alex

Pretty standard PR, nothing exceptional to be honest. Let's see what happens from now on.

Offline nubbinator

• Dabbler Supreme
  • * Maker
  • Model M "connoisseur"
« Reply #1610 on: Fri, 07 August 2015, 11:17:18 »
Apparently there have been enough people complaining that there is a significant queue for support on damaged sets.

Offline trizkut

• * Global Moderator
« Reply #1611 on: Fri, 07 August 2015, 11:18:42 »
Apparently there have been enough people complaining that there is a significant queue for support on damaged sets.

48 hours, still no response  :blank:

Offline romevi

• Formerly romevi
  • * Exalted Elder
« Reply #1612 on: Fri, 07 August 2015, 11:24:46 »

48 hours, still no response  :blank:

It once took four days before I got a response regarding an order.

Offline techmattr

« Reply #1613 on: Fri, 07 August 2015, 11:25:33 »
In hindsight, this is really seeming like a GMK quality issue.

Yeah now knowing that some sets arrived placed cleanly in the trays but still had scratches it would seem MD either received the sets scattered and just reboxed them or they are indeed manufacturing flaws. A lot of the deep gouges have to be manufacturing flaws. Especially since some of the keys have identical scratches. These issues are seeming to be less and less like an issue on MD's end. Either way they still did a terrible job repackaging and shipping.

Offline cooldiscretion

• Convicted guilty of being totally rad.
« Reply #1614 on: Fri, 07 August 2015, 12:54:33 »
For some reason looking at this thread brings Ace Ventura to mind.
Although, I'm really keeping my fingers crossed for mine.

« Last Edit: Fri, 07 August 2015, 12:57:40 by cooldiscretion »

Offline wlhlm

• ~
« Reply #1615 on: Fri, 07 August 2015, 13:00:52 »
I picked up my TA set from customs today. You could already hear the chattering of lose keys when the official took the package from storage. :-\

Opening up the package at home:
107671-0

:'( :'( :'(

After sorting everything back into the tray, I was reliefed to see no missing caps or scratches. :-X

I can also see the swirls on the alpha keys. Luckily, those are barely visible and I wonder if I had even noticed them without reading this thread.

Now that I have everything sorted, I can have a look from the distance and I'm extremely impressed! The teal is perfect. Great color selection intelli78! :-* None of the photos I've seen really do the set justice. Either the teal is too blue or too green, or the alphas are too white, which I was worried about, but they actually look much better in person (though I agree that they could be a bit darker).

I'm so stoked for my TA build in a winkeyless 3000 case!

Thanks Danboard for letting me take over your order. Good luck LechnerDE, hope your set arrived without scratches. :-X

Further on GMK quality issues:
I got some colored GMK modifiers from EliteKeyboards fairly recently and they also had some weird discoloration on the side of the caps:

>:D

Not sure what's going on there...

As for the material, I've compared the weight of Triumph Adler with a doubleshot Desko set, a beige Cherry set, and a black Cherry set. They all had the same weight. I don't think GMK keys are thinner now.
« Last Edit: Fri, 07 August 2015, 14:36:42 by wlhlm »

Offline nubbinator

• Dabbler Supreme
  • * Maker
  • Model M "connoisseur"
« Reply #1616 on: Fri, 07 August 2015, 13:13:20 »
They're definitely not thinner, but the plastic did feel different, cheaper.

Offline LechnerDE

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #1617 on: Fri, 07 August 2015, 13:17:42 »
Good luck LechnerDE, hope your set arrived without scratches. :-X

Thanks! Glad your set survived the journey over the pond unharmed  :thumb:

That gives me hope for mine ;D

I actually hoped to pick it up at the customs office today as well. Tracking said it's there, but I didn't get a notification yet. Maybe I can pick it up on monday.

Offline MythicalWagyu

• * Exquisite Elder
  • Poor Impulse Control
« Reply #1618 on: Fri, 07 August 2015, 13:42:37 »
They're definitely not thinner, but the plastic did feel different, cheaper.
I was hoping it was all in my head, but I remember the GMK Esc key and spacebar I had previously purchased feeling nicer than this TA set... honestly GMK TA feels a lot like typing on a Signature Plastics set, a bit underwhelming after using super thick SA profile caps.
KEYBOARDS >>
More
More
OG Blackwidow | Rosewill RK-9000BRI | QuickFire Rapid | Choc Mini | Apple M0110 (soon) | Leopold FC660C | 60% Pure | Poker II | Keycool 22
MICE >>
More
Logitech G5 | Corsair M65 | Logitech G400
COMPUTER >>
More
i5-3570K @ 4.2GHz, 12GB DDR3, 2GB GTX 670, 64GB SSD, ~4TB HDD, 2x Dell S2240M IPS, Corsair HX650 80 Plus Silver, Win7 Ultimate
  [WTS/WTB/WTT]  Heatware evaluation

too busy being on aol chatrooms/yahoo chatrooms acting like a lesbian with other guys pretending to be lesbians.

Offline engicoder

« Reply #1619 on: Fri, 07 August 2015, 14:06:18 »
Several people have pointed out the mark on the keypad + key. I happened to turn it over and it has an odd relief in the first shot that seems responsible for the mark that appears.  Is this relief for clearance?

107673-0107675-1

Note: The dark spot on the key is actually on the lens of the camera.

Offline meiosis

• * Esteemed Elder
  • Time
« Reply #1620 on: Fri, 07 August 2015, 14:35:09 »
Looks like I won, according to my friend, my caps are outside the box :|
Keyboards:
Filco Majestouch 2 - Sakura Edition [MX Blue]
Filco Majestouch 2 - Lotus Edition [MX Brown]
Realforce 23ub - Modded with 55g Domes.
Aripeko TKL

Offline intelli78

« Reply #1621 on: Fri, 07 August 2015, 15:06:04 »
I've been reading all the posts over the last 24 hours, would like to take a minute to respond.

First, I really feel for everyone whose set arrived scattered in the box. It's downright unfortunate that it happened, and not at all what I wanted anyone's first impression to be. In retrospect I should have had GMK send me samples to test first, but we all pretty much took at face value that the trays would be suitable for reshipping. I've never seen a keycap tray that wasn't. So it's a lame situation because they were supposed to be a bonus that prevented any sort of sorting/shipping debacle. The responsibility is shared between me, GMK, and also Massdrop. Me, because I could've requested samples. GMK, because it's not even a question that the trays SHOULD stand up to reshipping. It was a flawed design that needs to be corrected. Finally, Massdrop's fulfillment center, because they are shipping professionals who should've seen this coming, especially given that it was a chance to prove their competence.

As for scratches and other damage, it's not totally clear whether they originated during manufacturing or shipping. At this point it seems to be a combination, it should get clearer as time goes on. I'm super sorry to anyone who received damaged caps. No one deserves that considering the price we paid.

For other issues like swirling and variation in color, I'll certainly bring this up with GMK, though I'm not currently convinced anything is out of spec here. I have had older GMK caps with similar marks and I think it's a more normal (if not necessarily desirable) occurrence. For the alphas specifically, we may just be seeing the blue legend layer through the walls of the caps. I would also caution against getting wrapped up in the couple accounts of the caps somehow feeling lower quality. We've already seen that they weigh the same and have the same thickness. They feel like completely normal GMK caps to me. I would take these accounts with a grain of salt because there is no hard evidence of any overall decline in quality. I understand wanting to go over everything with a fine-toothed comb at this point, but we need to be careful not to let our disappointment affect our perception of things that are not actually defective.

I will talk to GMK about why some of their recent sets (not just TA) are more transparent to LEDs. We already know the amount of material has not changed. My best guess is that it's related to cap color and light wavelengths etc.

More generally I want to say, there is definitely a lot of justified disappointment here, but things always seem worse in the moment. All will be OK. Massdrop's support is not the fastest, but they are not dishonest. It does suck to get scratched caps, but let's try to keep perspective. Massdrop is keen to make things right by replacing as many keys as possible, and I have never heard of them denying legitimate refunds. We all have the caps in hand (finally!), they look good, there is no catastrophic error. We are not dealing with a 2-year delay, an outright scam, or Originative, or some other such really outrageous nonsense where we'll all be screwed. What happened, happened and it's not ok, but we'll move forward and I'm confident that everyone will be treated fairly in the end. GMK has not gone down the toilet yet. They will get an earful, as will the Massdrop shipping center, for sure. But they've put out a good product for a long time, and from dealing with them personally, I really do not think they are out to fleece us. I think GMK will be very apologetic and keen to restore its reputation.

So again, my sincere apologies to everyone affected. Let's take this in stride to get everyone taken care of, and to make sure future GMK buys are back to their usual standard. I am really looking forward to getting this cleared up so we can get on with enjoying our new teal caps.  :thumb:
Please consider carefully before you decide to comment, for Jesus.

Offline Signature

• master of puppers
  • snoozing
« Reply #1622 on: Fri, 07 August 2015, 15:56:50 »
Also got some of my caps scratched up :( Otherwise I think the set looks great and intelli has done an awesome job overall: colors, extras  everything looks splendid.

Very busy with studies atm.

Offline digi

• elite af tbh
  • * Exquisite Elder
  • keyboard game on fleek
« Reply #1623 on: Fri, 07 August 2015, 16:00:32 »
Just throwing this out there but did anyone contact GMK to confirm that GMK actually produced these caps and not some factory in Chiner??

Offline intelli78

« Reply #1624 on: Fri, 07 August 2015, 16:03:59 »
Just throwing this out there but did anyone contact GMK to confirm that GMK actually produced these caps and not some factory in Chiner??

lól q ?

Offline digi

• elite af tbh
  • * Exquisite Elder
  • keyboard game on fleek
« Reply #1625 on: Fri, 07 August 2015, 16:05:00 »
Massdrop secretly sourced this GB to Chiner and you thought you were getting caps from GMK...sorry man, just had to lighten it up. We still BFF's?

Offline intelli78

« Reply #1626 on: Fri, 07 August 2015, 16:06:05 »
Massdrop secretly sourced this GB to Chiner and you thought you were getting caps from GMK...sorry man, just had to lighten it up. We still BFF's?

Bf/Gf...guess which one you are... :p

Offline digi

• elite af tbh
  • * Exquisite Elder
  • keyboard game on fleek
« Reply #1627 on: Fri, 07 August 2015, 16:07:05 »
BOTH PAPI

Offline intelli78

« Reply #1628 on: Fri, 07 August 2015, 16:08:06 »

Offline calvinhousecat

« Reply #1629 on: Fri, 07 August 2015, 17:05:08 »
Just got my set and I gotta say this color scheme is fantastic. This blue is just awesome and at first I was iffy on the alphas being a different blue than the modifiers but man they just compliment each other just sto well.

This set A+++++++

Thanks intelli

Offline nightdriver

• life is like t. rex
« Reply #1630 on: Fri, 07 August 2015, 17:19:35 »

this is actually a little different than what i expected.  i was thinking they'd be closer to the "pearl" color from classic beige.  oh well, sure they'll still look fantastic.

Offline Eziak

« Reply #1631 on: Fri, 07 August 2015, 17:25:10 »
Intelli, do not take disappointment with the shipping as disappointment with the keycaps. I love this set, it looks even better than I thought on my board. I am, however, slightly hesitant to join GMK group buys in the future though without certain assurances on shipping. The set looks amazing, and you did a great job so I hope you don't feel anyone is mad at you personally.
Boards:

CM Storm Novatouch

Offline TBone

« Reply #1632 on: Fri, 07 August 2015, 17:26:12 »
I haven't had any issues besides one or two scratches (had to deal with it on Ivan's Dolch too), but I did notice the stems on the 7u spacebars are visible from the top and the finish on those is very noticeable different. Like they're more shiny and have not grit/texture like the others. Also, my left 1.5u control has parts of it that are very shiny. Like the key is consistent in texture. It's nearly identical to what shine looks like on my other GMK caps. However, I'm using none of these caps  ;D

Thanks Intelli for the hard work, but I think in the future, just ship the keycaps in a bag and the case with nothing in it  :thumb: hahaha

Offline VesperSAINT

• vpsert
  • #CustomKorean
    • My Youtube channel with some keyboard videos
« Reply #1633 on: Fri, 07 August 2015, 17:26:54 »
I would like to start out by saying that the keyset is absolutely gorgeous! The colorway came out spectacularly amazing!!!

Great job, intelli ~ <3 You did good, man
:thumb:

From what I can tell, the scratches are entirely from shipping and the keys flying and scratching up against each other. The two obvious main culprits are the large empty space boxes, and the small round tapes used to keep the key tray shut. With all the moving of the loose items in the box and the combination of the summer heat melting the adhesive on the small tape... well yeah...

Unfortunately, when I picked up my delivered box... it was rattling SO LOUD... the first thought in my mind was, "it sounds a million lego pieces just flying around loosely in a box."

Opened it up to this:

phone pic:

Fortunately, all keys are accounted for, but I definitely will be wanting replacements for my scratched/dinged up keys...

Good lookin'~ even for a phone potato pic~ man, my phone camera has like near perfect color accuracy...

Only some of the scratched keys: :( :( :(

random black dot on keycap that doesn't come off

« Last Edit: Fri, 07 August 2015, 17:46:44 by VesperSAINT »

Offline VinnyCordeiro

« Reply #1634 on: Fri, 07 August 2015, 17:31:38 »
My new keyboard just arrived: an authentic, brand new "hellgrau" (light gray/beige in German) Cherry G80-3000 with Cherry MX black switches (that will be changed some time in the future). Too bad the LED overlay isn't similar to the TA keyboard but you can't always get what you want, as wisely said by Mr. Jagger.

Now waiting for the shipping forwarder to deliver my keyset.

Offline daviswalkers

• HHKB Amature 2
    • Graphic Design Portfolio
« Reply #1635 on: Fri, 07 August 2015, 17:49:06 »
More
TA cluster****ery confirmed

Show Image

So this is how my set arrived, complete with bent and bashed in box.  As I heard the UPS guy toss it (not place it) on the ground, I knew I was ****ed since I heard a clatter of keys.  And phone photos because why waste taking good shots on cluster****ery:

Show Image

Show Image

I think all my caps are there, but I'm not sure.  I do know that I had several caps with scratches.  The scratches weren't major, most on the sides and backs of the caps, but one blank cap had scratches on the face.  The GMK QC wasn't too hot either as a ton of my caps had flashing on the bottom and I noticed that the alphas have some weirdness going on in their color.  They're not a solid color and seem to have some swirling going on in them.  I feel like a couple of caps also had some color bleed through in spots from the darker undercolor.  And maybe I'm crazy, but I feel like the plastic feels like a lighter, cheaper, less dense plastic than GMK usually is.

Here's the result of carefully checking the caps and putting them back in the tray:

Show Image

Probably going to sell the set.

I would just try to contact Massdrop to get another.

You have a better chance at getting a set in better condition and can still sell that if you're not happy. Just my two cents though.

The condition it showed up in though is bull****.

I'm not sure I'll get a set in better condition.  There were only three really scratched caps I noticed, two scratched on the side, one on the top.  The main issue is the weird coloration on the alphas.  I want to know if others who look closely at their caps see the same thing I'm talking about.  It's like when you mix paint and it's not quite fully mixed.  For example, it looks something like this:

Show Image

I mean, it's not noticeable from typing distance, but when you look at the cap it's pretty noticeable.

I'm just more annoyed with the condition it arrived in. I'll definitely be contacting MD, but not sure what I'm going to do

I was coming here to post just this, I was checking for scratches and realized that all of the alpha's have like a marbled cake look to them(but with white/blue/teal swirls):

Compact-SQ |          VE.A
 65g Zealios    |      78g Zealios

Offline VesperSAINT

• vpsert
  • #CustomKorean
    • My Youtube channel with some keyboard videos
« Reply #1636 on: Fri, 07 August 2015, 17:51:50 »
I was coming here to post just this, I was checking for scratches and realized that all of the alpha's have like a marbled cake look to them(but with white/blue/teal swirls):
Show Image

Yup. Some of mine are like that too... looks like they didn't fully mix it... QC issues... Have some bleeding issues too. Maybe it has to do with them trying new custom colors? Not too sure. Don't want to speculate too much. Colors came out amazing though.
« Last Edit: Fri, 07 August 2015, 17:53:31 by VesperSAINT »

Offline Nai_Calus

• * Destiny Supporter
  • CLACK
« Reply #1637 on: Fri, 07 August 2015, 17:56:04 »
Found my box, standing on end, partially crushed. Sound of rattling keycaps. I don't know if I even have the heart to open it.  :'(
- IBM 4704 Model F 107-key "Bertha"
Other boards: Kinesis Essential, Infinity(G.Clears), Ergodox(MX Blues), Monoprice 9433

Eternally searching for Celestial Blue BS V2 and blue/purple Bros.

Offline VinnyCordeiro

« Reply #1638 on: Fri, 07 August 2015, 18:03:56 »
On the Hyperfuse GB's thread there was some possible explanations for those swirls on the keycaps, I'll quote them now:

Just curious if Cody noticed any issues with the Hyperfuse GMK stuff like what they're seeing on the TA buy...I have to think it was the custom color that created the problem but who knows....

One more good thing of not having it pre-sorted...can have some central QA..

I'm also curious of this... I saw one post on Reddit where someone mentioned seeing swirls and splotches on some of the keys. I know it's early but have we seen any manufacturing flaws so far?

none, i believe those are most likely caused by using custom colours, rather than tried and true gmk ones, certain pigments just react differently to others in the same conditions

What Bunny said, and when you consider the way that injection molding is done and how colors are achieved for molded parts the swirls and less prevalent uneven colored keys on TA make sense.

The raw material for injection molding is plastic pellets, which is a good thing to understand going into this problem.  For GMK's base colors they probably have huge bins of pre-colored pellets that they buy in high volumes for their standard commercial customers.  When you have to do a custom order color, and don't have enough volume for them to go out and buy a ton or so of pellets custom made by a plastics vendor in that exact color, they have to mix base pellets with a colorant.  When time to mold, they mix all the pellets and the colorant in a hopper that mixes them as they feed into the injection molding machines, the mixing is done to maintain consistent distribution of pellets and colorant.  So any sort of inconsistency along the line from non-mixed corners in a hopper, to static build up on feed hoses, or any other issue that can happen can lead to inconsistent distribution of base and colorant and lead to some of the issues people have brought up on TA.  Luckily since hyperfuse used all stock colors, there is probably nothing to worry about here.

You forgot about the extruder, though.  The screw in the extruder serves two functions - it heats the material through shear forces, and it mixes the resin (like, really well).  There are different sections to each screw, and different screw designs for different applications (this is critical).  They may have a screw designed for one application and this custom color stuff may actually be causing issues (colorants can have a much larger effect than you would expect on the processability of various resins).  But the flights (the "threads" of the screw) have very particular designs to force mixing, even having "multi-level" (for lack of a better term and my memory is failing me) flights where the resin will get lifted up to another section briefly before passing back.  Screw design is a very interesting science.

Anyway, all that to say that the only real time that mixing would be a problem is typically during transitions.  If your resins are sticking in the screw or somewhere else you can have contamination issues.  But a good purge of the old resin would solve that.

Keep in mind that my experience is in a slightly different field (flat die extrusion), so I am not an expert in injection molding - I just happen to know (a few) things about extruders.  I'm more than happy to be proven wrong here.  ;)  I'm also not familiar with GMK's equipment.

Oh, and I'm not disagreeing with your conclusion that HF should avoid this issue - just adding to your explanation about TA. :)

I think that the swirls are a minor problem, in comparison to scratched/damaged keycaps.

Offline daviswalkers

• HHKB Amature 2
    • Graphic Design Portfolio
« Reply #1639 on: Fri, 07 August 2015, 18:19:02 »
Show Image

Yup. Some of mine are like that too... looks like they didn't fully mix it... QC issues... Have some bleeding issues too. Maybe it has to do with them trying new custom colors? Not too sure. Don't want to speculate too much. Colors came out amazing though.

For sure I didn't buy these for the "TA lookalike" aspect but rather because I loved the colors, so the main complaint I've seen (other than QC) is the super light alpha's but I love the light grey very happy with the set overall put it on my winkeyless b.87 board I just finished!
p

Other problem being the four extra keys on my keyboard that there aren't any keys for, obviously this wasn't hidden so not a complaint w/ the buy but annoying none the less.

Compact-SQ |          VE.A
 65g Zealios    |      78g Zealios

Offline Nai_Calus

• * Destiny Supporter
  • CLACK
« Reply #1640 on: Fri, 07 August 2015, 18:22:22 »
Well it's all here, despite the horror of realizing there was a hole in the box with most of the keys up against it.

Got scratching and scuffs like everyone else. Time to chew out MD. :<

It's heartbreaking because this set is otherwise breathtakingly beautiful.
- IBM 4704 Model F 107-key "Bertha"
Other boards: Kinesis Essential, Infinity(G.Clears), Ergodox(MX Blues), Monoprice 9433

Eternally searching for Celestial Blue BS V2 and blue/purple Bros.

Offline wlhlm

• ~
« Reply #1641 on: Fri, 07 August 2015, 18:44:17 »
Only some of the scratched keys: :( :( :(
Show Image
Show Image

Show Image
Show Image

Show Image
Show Image

Show Image

:eek: Wow, that's quite the damage! Real bummer, hope you'll get your replacement keys. :(

Offline slickmamba

« Reply #1642 on: Fri, 07 August 2015, 18:57:38 »
Ugh bad luck. 33 caps have significant scratches  :(

Not missing any though.  It looks like the left side was just very very poorly taped
Hi :)

Offline Karura

• Professional Canadian
  • * Destiny Supporter
  • SKidata life.
« Reply #1643 on: Fri, 07 August 2015, 19:20:09 »
Vesper, that is brutal... I hope massdrop gives you an exchange promptly.

"Remember boys, raccoon cold... don't worry, raccoon will find cave." -Sent

Offline radio_killah

• Chinchillin'
« Reply #1644 on: Fri, 07 August 2015, 19:20:38 »
It looks like GMK rushed to finish the order because of pressure from Massdrop and ended up skimping on the QC all together. This is not a good representation of the quality I know and have grown to love from GMK. Massdrop is definitely at fault in my opinion for the ****ty shipping conditions. But the light bleed, blurry legends, swirls in the plastic, and incomplete double shots are all just signs of poor quality control on GMK's end. Really sad that a lot of people are ending up with GMK set that is flawed. This is not the way GMK should have been introduced to the masses... Their product quality is much better than this..

Offline Karura

• Professional Canadian
  • * Destiny Supporter
  • SKidata life.
« Reply #1645 on: Fri, 07 August 2015, 19:39:56 »
Dear keyboard community, so this is why we don't use Massdrop to do GMK group buys. /thread.

"Remember boys, raccoon cold... don't worry, raccoon will find cave." -Sent

Offline Bloo

« Reply #1646 on: Fri, 07 August 2015, 20:17:22 »
They ****ed up.  People do that.  It's what they do to remedy the situation that counts now.  Give it a bit of time. 

Offline nightdriver

• life is like t. rex
« Reply #1647 on: Fri, 07 August 2015, 20:20:13 »
just got my triumph adler caps delivered, and though the outer box looks like it was literally thrown at the wall and stepped on half a dozen times, my caps are all still in place within the taped-shut plastic tray.  why do massdrop's shipping boxes always look so beat up?  anyway, haven't installed them or examined them closely yet, but since mine seem to be packed just fine, if i have any scratches at all we'll know they're GMK's fault and not massdrop's fault.

the keycaps are freaking beautiful and i know they're going to look so good with my aluminum vortex case (that i coincidentally also got from intelli).  already some beautiful pictures on this thread, but if i can take any non-potatoes, maybe i'll post some after i get them installed.  excited!

Offline nightdriver

• life is like t. rex
« Reply #1648 on: Fri, 07 August 2015, 20:21:53 »
the swirls in the plastic may be a result of using a custom color, which GMK isn't accustomed to doing.  so, to be fair to them, i think we have to keep that in mind.  scratches direct from GMK are completely unforgivable though, and those are all GMK's fault.

Offline skycrimes

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #1649 on: Fri, 07 August 2015, 20:45:44 »
Just got my set (through the post office). The box looked kind of  bent and there was a slight rattling noise. When I opened the box the keys were all still inside the case and only a few of them came loose (the tape holding the left side closed got partially attached to the airbags causing part of the tape to come off, this was the same side with a few loose keys so the reason was most likely since the tape was peeling off that side was loose). All keys were there and after inspection none of them had any scratches. As for swirls I honestly could not tell but I feel like they didn't have them or they were hardly noticeable unless the key was literally in my face. The only marks I noticed and barely were all in the same place (on the back right of the key). Since that mark was replicated and in the same place on the keys that had them this leads me to believe that it was a manufacturers mistake/common mark that shows up. Maybe they were attached to some thing and that was their tear point? Overall my set looks perfect and any flaws are only noticed if they keys are right in your face and even then you can barely tell.