Author Topic: [GB] GMK Triumph Adler. Pics posted...  (Read 363843 times)

Offline Nai_Calus

• * Destiny Supporter
  • CLACK
Re: [GB] GMK Triumph Adler. Pics posted...
« Reply #1650 on: Fri, 07 August 2015, 21:12:30 »
*throws salt at the people with perfect sets*

We need a therapy thread for this, heh.

*sighs*

The bad thing is, even if they offer a replacement, there's no guarantee the same thing won't just happen again. My postal carrier for that matter left it sitting on its end on the steps and didn't even put it against the door, never mind flat.
- IBM 4704 Model F 107-key "Bertha"
Other boards: Kinesis Essential, Infinity(G.Clears), Ergodox(MX Blues), Monoprice 9433

Eternally searching for Celestial Blue BS V2 and blue/purple Bros.

Offline VesperSAINT

• vpsert
  • #CustomKorean
    • My Youtube channel with some keyboard videos
« Reply #1651 on: Fri, 07 August 2015, 21:16:19 »
Here's some therapy:

Even with scratched keycaps, they look great in a dimly lit room :3

I like how they contrast to the beige case ~

Offline skycrimes

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #1652 on: Fri, 07 August 2015, 21:17:44 »
*throws salt at the people with perfect sets*

We need a therapy thread for this, heh.

*sighs*

The bad thing is, even if they offer a replacement, there's no guarantee the same thing won't just happen again. My postal carrier for that matter left it sitting on its end on the steps and didn't even put it against the door, never mind flat.

sorry ;;

Offline 64rky

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #1653 on: Fri, 07 August 2015, 21:27:20 »
Here's some therapy:

Even with scratched keycaps, they look great in a dimly lit room :3

I like how they contrast to the beige case ~
Show Image
Show Image

Show Image
Show Image

Great pics Vesper,  keep the faith!

Offline VesperSAINT

• vpsert
  • #CustomKorean
    • My Youtube channel with some keyboard videos
« Reply #1654 on: Fri, 07 August 2015, 21:32:36 »
Great pics Vesper,  keep the faith!

Thankies ~ Faith be kept ~

Offline heedpantsnow

• * Esteemed Elder
  • Old enough to know better
« Reply #1655 on: Fri, 07 August 2015, 21:55:21 »
I'm back.

Espresso machine overhaul: https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=78261.0

Carbon Fiber keyboard base: https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=54825

Offline radio_killah

• Chinchillin'
« Reply #1656 on: Sat, 08 August 2015, 01:18:47 »
Got my set... UPS sucks. The box is pretty much crushed. I had about 10 keys still in the tray. I got out pretty much scratch free. But just looking at the undersides of the keys you can tell that there wasn't any form of QC at all... Some many keys with partial doubleshots and lots of extra plastic hanging off the ends.

The one thing that I noticed now that I have the keys is that the texture actually feels different from the rest of my sets.. It is a bit more slipper on the sides and the plastic feels thinner and more hollow.. Someone with a precise scale should measure the keys... They don't feel as dense as my other GMK sets.

The colors are very nice, the grey on the alphas is subtle but it works nicely. I just really wish this drop wasn't run through Massdrop. I really hope the trend of using Massdrop for GMK buys DOES NOT continue. It will just end in disappointment.

Offline nubbinator

• Dabbler Supreme
  • * Maker
  • Model M "connoisseur"
« Reply #1657 on: Sat, 08 August 2015, 01:34:50 »
Got my set... UPS sucks. The box is pretty much crushed. I had about 10 keys still in the tray. I got out pretty much scratch free. But just looking at the undersides of the keys you can tell that there wasn't any form of QC at all... Some many keys with partial doubleshots and lots of extra plastic hanging off the ends.

The one thing that I noticed now that I have the keys is that the texture actually feels different from the rest of my sets.. It is a bit more slipper on the sides and the plastic feels thinner and more hollow.. Someone with a precise scale should measure the keys... They don't feel as dense as my other GMK sets.

The colors are very nice, the grey on the alphas is subtle but it works nicely. I just really wish this drop wasn't run through Massdrop. I really hope the trend of using Massdrop for GMK buys DOES NOT continue. It will just end in disappointment.

I had more than a few with extraneous flashing too.

I don't agree that they feel thinner and more hollow, but I do completely agree with the emboldened part.  They don't feel up to typical GMK snuff and the teal plastic feels cheaper.

Offline skycrimes

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #1658 on: Sat, 08 August 2015, 01:35:56 »
so I thought my set was perfect then I saw a reddit post mentioning some backlight bleed. Turns out my F key (I think they same one the guy mentioned) isnt a fully doubleshot key. It has terrible backlight bleed whereas the other caps dont.

Offline Nai_Calus

• * Destiny Supporter
  • CLACK
« Reply #1659 on: Sat, 08 August 2015, 07:18:59 »
Here's an imgur album with photos and general grousing: http://imgur.com/a/frq1A

Probably the most WTF thing besides whatever thought process made anyone think the packaging was OK is that numpad + key. I don't even know what happened there.

I don't notice as many scratches as some, but the lighting in my room is terrible so I may have just missed them, will have to look in sunlight. Unfortunately the issues are almost all on the top or front of keycaps and render it completely unusable. I guess an ISO TKL board with a WKL bottom row. Unlike my ANSI enter and left shift, the ISO shift and enter are fine. :P

Given the number of issues which are obviously *GMK*'s fault, I'm not sure I'll go for a replacement if they offer one. Even if my set had arrived in place and scratch-free, that number pad + and the sloppy legends are unacceptable. ><
« Last Edit: Sat, 08 August 2015, 07:35:14 by Nai_Calus »
Other boards: Kinesis Essential, Infinity(G.Clears), Ergodox(MX Blues), Monoprice 9433

Offline jbondeson

« Reply #1660 on: Sat, 08 August 2015, 10:38:58 »
Mine came in last night:

The reason for the crushed box was obvious, the air pocket packaging was so thick it bulged the tops and bottoms of the box. So now you're trying to ship hundreds of non-rectangular boxes and, shocker, ****s in disarray.

Now the weird part, so far I only found one scratch on the front of the Backspace key that looks identical to what others have shown. I'm honestly starting to wonder if some of these happened before MD even got them. I haven't had a chance to do a detailed look (for some reason my wife wasn't keen on me spending part of Friday night with my new keycaps and a magnifying light) but today I'll take a closer look.

So I'll probably see if I can get a new bs key from MD.

Offline cjhard

• Claudia the Magnificent
« Reply #1661 on: Sat, 08 August 2015, 10:55:45 »
so I thought my set was perfect then I saw a reddit post mentioning some backlight bleed. Turns out my F key (I think they same one the guy mentioned) isnt a fully doubleshot key. It has terrible backlight bleed whereas the other caps dont.

That's likely due to the homing scoop, I noticed GMK Dolch has the same pattern for F&J where a portion of the legend injection is cut out.

Offline sethk_

• Grand Master Wizard Pizza
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • www.kbdhub.com
    • My webstore
« Reply #1662 on: Sat, 08 August 2015, 10:59:18 »
if it isn't too much trouble, could someone please post the measurements of the GMK tray? Thanks!

Offline 64rky

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #1663 on: Sat, 08 August 2015, 11:19:38 »
if it isn't too much trouble, could someone please post the measurements of the GMK tray? Thanks!

Mine is out for delivery today, I'll PM them.

Offline geniekid

« Reply #1664 on: Sat, 08 August 2015, 11:31:03 »
TA mods on Dolch alphas.

107794-0

Offline wlhlm

• ~
« Reply #1665 on: Sat, 08 August 2015, 11:31:17 »
44cm x 20cm x 2.5cm

Offline wlhlm

• ~
« Reply #1666 on: Sat, 08 August 2015, 11:32:54 »
Picture of TA mods on Dolch alphas.

(Attachment Link)
Nice picture, but the mods look incredibly blue, almost like the electric bluegaloo modifiers.
« Last Edit: Sat, 08 August 2015, 11:35:40 by wlhlm »

Offline 64rky

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #1667 on: Sat, 08 August 2015, 11:34:25 »
44cm x 20cm x 2.5cm

17.3 x 8 x 1 inches

:)

Offline sethk_

• * Esteemed Elder
  • www.kbdhub.com
    • My webstore
« Reply #1668 on: Sat, 08 August 2015, 11:44:30 »
44cm x 20cm x 2.5cm

17.3 x 8 x 1 inches

:)
Thanks to both of you!

Offline radio_killah

• Chinchillin'
« Reply #1669 on: Sat, 08 August 2015, 11:47:48 »
TA mods on Dolch alphas.

(Attachment Link)

I tried this using my set too. I wasn't a fan. It looks great in your picture though. The TA mods definitely look better with a white/lighter alpha base.

Offline strict

• TKL Zealot
« Reply #1670 on: Sat, 08 August 2015, 14:02:08 »
For once I seem to have gotten lucky, no noticeable color blending issues and, miraculously,  no scratches either.

Realforce EK45 (Silenced)  |  Realforce 87UW (45g)  |  Realforce 87UWS (Variable)
Filco MJ2 TKL (Cherry Clears)  |  Phantom 87 (78g Gateron Clears)  |  Phantom 86 (67g Zealios)

Offline sethk_

• * Esteemed Elder
  • www.kbdhub.com
    • My webstore
« Reply #1671 on: Sat, 08 August 2015, 14:03:31 »
For once I seem to have gotten lucky, no noticeable color blending issues and, miraculously,  no scratches either.
so how does it feel to be the chosen one?

Offline ebacho

« Reply #1672 on: Sat, 08 August 2015, 15:22:29 »
Did we ever determine if the scratched 1.5x alt keys from shipping or a mold problem?  I ask because one of my alts has the same scratches posted a few patches back (perfect horizontal line on the front of the cap) but the other alt is fine.

FWIW I have no color blending issues and only a couple minor scratches, but the gouge on the alt key is particularly jarring.

Offline CommonCurt

• One of the cool kids
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • 🍒 Beige or Bust
    • My Flickr Page
« Reply #1673 on: Sat, 08 August 2015, 15:40:18 »
Did we ever determine if the scratched 1.5x alt keys from shipping or a mold problem?  I ask because one of my alts has the same scratches posted a few patches back (perfect horizontal line on the front of the cap) but the other alt is fine.

FWIW I have no color blending issues and only a couple minor scratches, but the gouge on the alt key is particularly jarring.

I was thinking the same thing about the 1.5 alt keys.  I have seen a few pictures were the scratch/ding looks almost exactly like the one on mine.

Though one of my sets has the dinged up 1.5 alt key, and the other set doesn't. 

It's the marked up alt cap, and messed up color on the front of both my numpad + caps that bug me the most.
Some of Ye ole  Keyboards -->
More
OTD Koala:  62g Old MX-Blacks   |   LZ-GH V2:  MX-?62g   |   KMAC2:   62g Tactile MX-Greys   |   LZ CLS s:   62g Vintage MX-Blacks   |   X60:   62g Vintage MX-Blacks   |   GON NerD 60:  62g Old MX-Clears   |   Filco MJ2 (Beige) TKL's:  62g MX-Clears  &   62g Vintage MX-Blacks   |   IBM '91 SSK

WTB/WTS/WTT ---->
More

« Reply #1674 on: Sat, 08 August 2015, 15:56:30 »
If multiple people have scratched 1.5x Alt keys in the identical place from shipping alone, go buy a lottery ticket right now if you believe in that kind of serendipity.
The keepers: 660C/Blank 660M/Blues

Offline drewba

« Reply #1675 on: Sat, 08 August 2015, 16:05:29 »
About 6 keys were left inside the GMK tray when I opened my box. Other than handful of scratches, my set appears to be in pretty good shape. This feels amazing to type on

KUL w/proton white case top. Pardon the potato pics & dirty desk

« Last Edit: Sat, 08 August 2015, 20:07:25 by drewba »

Offline njbair

• I love the Powerglove. It's so bad.
    • nickbair.net
« Reply #1676 on: Sat, 08 August 2015, 16:29:11 »

Alpine Winter GB | My Personal TMK Firmware Repo
IBM Rubber Band "Floss" Mod | Click Modding Alps 101 | Flame-Polishing Cherry MX Stems
Review: hasu's USB to USB converter
My boards:
More
AEKII 60% | Alps64 HHKB | Ducky Shine 3, MX Blues | IBM Model M #1391401, Nov. 1990 | IBM SSK #1391472, Nov. 1987, screw modded, rubber-band modded | Noppoo EC108-Pro, 45g | Infinity 60% v2 Hacker, Matias Quiet Pros | Infinity 60% v2 Standard, MX Browns | Cherry G80-1800LPCEU-2, MX Blacks | Cherry G80-1813 (Dolch), MX Blues | Unicomp M-122, ANSI-modded | Unicomp M-122 (Unsaver mod in progress) | 2x Unitek K-258, White Alps | Apple boards (IIGS, AEKII) | Varmilo VA87MR, Gateron Blacks | Filco Zero TKL, Fukka White Alps | Planck, Gateron Browns | Monarch, click-modded Cream Alps

Offline shawn24

« Reply #1677 on: Sat, 08 August 2015, 17:00:23 »
Massdrop use a weird shipping company to ship it to Canada, after 7 days from shipped out, it is now given to USPS to ship to Canada and still in Pre-Shipping in USPS.
Funniest and most ridiculous thing I ever seen for shipping

Offline user 18

• * Senior Moderator
« Reply #1678 on: Sat, 08 August 2015, 17:17:25 »
Massdrop use a weird shipping company to ship it to Canada, after 7 days from shipped out, it is now given to USPS to ship to Canada and still in Pre-Shipping in USPS.
Funniest and most ridiculous thing I ever seen for shipping

Mine does say it's made it to Canada already, so yours should hopefully cross the border soon!
Please PM me if you are waiting on classifieds approval or have a question about the classifieds rules. | geekhack Terms of Service

Max Nighthawk x8 (MX Brown) | CM QFR (MX Blue) | CM QFR (MX Clear) | RK-9000 (MX Red) | Model M 1391401 | Model M SSK 1370475 | CM Novatouch | G80-8113 (MX Clear) | 60% (85g MX Blue) | Whitefox Aria (MX Clear) | CL-LX (MX Clear) | Mira SE (MX Clear)

Offline ShardZer0

« Reply #1679 on: Sat, 08 August 2015, 17:24:43 »
TA mods on Dolch alphas.

(Attachment Link)

Looks good, I did the same thing with the TA Mods and Midnight set alphas.

Offline zombimuncha

« Reply #1680 on: Sat, 08 August 2015, 18:11:43 »

I was thinking the same thing about the 1.5 alt keys.  I have seen a few pictures were the scratch/ding looks almost exactly like the one on mine.

Though one of my sets has the dinged up 1.5 alt key, and the other set doesn't. 

It's the marked up alt cap, and messed up color on the front of both my numpad + caps that bug me the most.

Mine have some scratches but I didn't see anything on the 1.5 alts or the Backspace. I didn't see the photos of those keys tho, so maybe I'm just less picky (or less observant) ? What page are they on?

I'm guessing the only problem that applies to all sets is the missing inner section on the numpad + cap, but I assume that was done to improve stabilizer clearance, and is more of a design choice than a design flaw - it gives greater flexibility in what stabs you can use it with at the expense of a slight visual anomaly.

Offline Nai_Calus

• * Destiny Supporter
  • CLACK
« Reply #1681 on: Sat, 08 August 2015, 19:09:28 »

I'm guessing the only problem that applies to all sets is the missing inner section on the numpad + cap, but I assume that was done to improve stabilizer clearance, and is more of a design choice than a design flaw - it gives greater flexibility in what stabs you can use it with at the expense of a slight visual anomaly.

If it makes every single numberpad + key have a big ugly light band on it where the white is showing through the teal, that *is* in fact a design flaw. :P

Offline nubbinator

• Dabbler Supreme
  • * Maker
  • Model M "connoisseur"
« Reply #1682 on: Sat, 08 August 2015, 19:23:20 »

If it makes every single numberpad + key have a big ugly light band on it where the white is showing through the teal, that *is* in fact a design flaw. :P

It's present on old Cherry sets.  I have it on a WoB set from a G81 board. 

Also, it is not a design flaw since those Cherry keys were not designed with backlighting in mind.  You cannot call it a design flaw if it's a problem caused by using a product outside of its intended use.  If it caused issues on the Lock keys, then it would definitely be a design flaw.
« Last Edit: Sat, 08 August 2015, 19:24:51 by nubbinator »

Offline ccarlitos2

« Reply #1683 on: Sat, 08 August 2015, 19:59:06 »
About 6 keys were left inside the GMK tray when I opened my box. Other than handful of scratches, my set appears to be in pretty good shape. This feels amazing to type on
Show Image

KUL w/proton white case top. Pardon the potato pics & dirty desk
Show Image

Show Image

Show Image

That hoot though. Beautiful.
HHKB Pro 1| Poker 2(MX Browns)| Leopold FC200R (MX Blue)
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"Yup, that tasted purple" -Lulu

Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/138889771@N05/

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #1684 on: Sat, 08 August 2015, 21:21:17 »
TA mods on Dolch alphas.

(Attachment Link)

That works surprisingly well :)

And that green CODE!
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline Belfong

• * Exalted Elder
« Reply #1685 on: Sat, 08 August 2015, 21:29:34 »
I don't think that keys falling out of trays and rubbing each other could cause such a scratch. If that is the case, it would have scratch badly when Ivan sorted and packed the Dolch. Remember those keys comes in packs? I'd imagine him pouring the Bs in a box, and Cs in another box and then sweeping all of them into a ziplock bag. These keys are bound to run against each other but they weren't scratched. I believe GMK quality has gone downhill and I'm wondering if I should join Classic Beige... Sigh

Offline Jokrik

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #1686 on: Sat, 08 August 2015, 21:30:13 »
TA mods on Dolch alphas.

(Attachment Link)

It's working somehow :)
what is that keyboard? where's the + and - on the numpad? my brain hurts...

I don't think that keys falling out of trays and rubbing each other could cause such a scratch. If that is the case, it would have scratch badly when Ivan sorted and packed the Dolch. Remember those keys comes in packs? I'd imagine him pouring the Bs in a box, and Cs in another box and then sweeping all of them into a ziplock bag. These keys are bound to run against each other but they weren't scratched. I believe GMK quality has gone downhill and I'm wondering if I should join Classic Beige... Sigh

I've the same question in my head regarding GMK quality :( and I'm already in for Miami nights
Women always figure out the truth. Always. - Han Solo

Offline Belfong

• * Exalted Elder
« Reply #1687 on: Sat, 08 August 2015, 21:34:10 »
Even Elrick is missing! I think he probably forsee this day!

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #1688 on: Sat, 08 August 2015, 21:36:01 »

If that's the case, GMK QA must have hit rock bottom to release keycaps as consistently scratched as these.
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline Belfong

• * Exalted Elder
« Reply #1689 on: Sat, 08 August 2015, 21:46:19 »

If that's the case, GMK QA must have hit rock bottom to release keycaps as consistently scratched as these.

Yeah, how can a mere few keys knocking loosely against each other caused such a scratch, right? You would think that pouring bags of caps into boxes and then sorting them and sweeping again into ziplock bags, followed by packing and shipping them would have caused more scratch but Ivan's Dolch turned out fine. My faith for "German-engineered caps" as Elrick is fond of saying, is dwindling by the minute.

Offline geniekid

« Reply #1690 on: Sat, 08 August 2015, 21:58:32 »
TA mods on Dolch alphas.

(Attachment Link)

It's working somehow :)
what is that keyboard? where's the + and - on the numpad? my brain hurts...

Thanks!  It's a Phantom based keyboard (see Metal Dragon link in my signature).  The layout is pretty unique so the legends will probably never be right although I did get pretty close using DSA Granite.  The whole navigation cluster is accessed via a function layer.
« Last Edit: Sat, 08 August 2015, 22:00:06 by geniekid »

Offline nightdriver

• life is like t. rex
« Reply #1691 on: Sun, 09 August 2015, 00:23:44 »

I've the same question in my head regarding GMK quality :( and I'm already in for Miami nights

i strongly suspect it has something to do with the custom colors.  they're not used to doing that and it may have resulted in sub-par plastic.  until we see a set with standard colors that has the same issues, i'm sticking with that hypothesis.

Offline LechnerDE

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #1692 on: Sun, 09 August 2015, 03:11:00 »

i strongly suspect it has something to do with the custom colors.  they're not used to doing that and it may have resulted in sub-par plastic.  until we see a set with standard colors that has the same issues, i'm sticking with that hypothesis.

I totally agree. It's the custom colors that ****ed everything up.

Cody already confirmed that the GMK Hyperfuse set doesn't have any of those issues, so I guess with regular colors you can expect the famous GMK quality.

Offline Nai_Calus

• * Destiny Supporter
  • CLACK
« Reply #1693 on: Sun, 09 August 2015, 04:58:53 »

It's present on old Cherry sets.  I have it on a WoB set from a G81 board. 

Also, it is not a design flaw since those Cherry keys were not designed with backlighting in mind.  You cannot call it a design flaw if it's a problem caused by using a product outside of its intended use.  If it caused issues on the Lock keys, then it would definitely be a design flaw.

Uh. I'm not talking about backlighting, dude. Did you look at my picture? There's a light band across the front top of the cap that is glaringly obvious in even dim room light. I thought it was a scuff when I first saw it. The white under layer is showing through the top layer and then just made even more obvious by abruptly ending:

So yes, something is flawed there, because I'm pretty sure that looking absolutely terrible in ambient light is not an intended design feature.  :p

I realize everyone loves GMK, but when something like that is so blatantly obvious on a key, I reserve the right to call BS on something that would screw up the aesthetics of a hundred dollar key set even if mine wasn't scratched to hell and back. Regardless of whether or not the company is a community darling. Shoddy work is shoddy work. Period. I don't care who does it. And given that this is my first GMK set, I have no personal attachment to their products. Squiggly legends and colors showing through caps do not say 'quality' to me, they say 'we phoned this in and then shrugged at it'.

So no, I'm not expecting anything to do something it's not designed for. I'm expecting an expensive key set to not look wonky in normal lighting conditions.

I'm sorry, but I don't feel that this is in any way unreasonable.

Offline Polymer

« Reply #1694 on: Sun, 09 August 2015, 05:08:27 »

That's what it sounds like...That doesn't excuse them for this...to be honest, I'm quite shocked at the quality of the finish on some of these..they're not what they should be like. 

Just means people need to be aware this might be a problem and I'd probably avoid custom colors...That other provider JT or whatever though might be able to go some good stuff and step in...their prices look great too..

I like GMK...but if another competitor comes in with a better price, equal to or better quality, and more flexibility - I'd prefer that..

Offline ATXTider

• I keep it playa while some choose to play it safe
« Reply #1695 on: Sun, 09 August 2015, 05:16:36 »

Exactly, all the chicken littles need to calm down and use reason for two seconds. 

Offline zombimuncha

« Reply #1696 on: Sun, 09 August 2015, 07:35:05 »
The swirls and the ugly thin spot on the num+ are most probably related to the use of custom colours.

The scratches I think are caused when the keycaps move slightly inside the case so that one key is sitting half on top of another and pressing down on on it, held in place by the tray, then the box gets another thwack from Mr UPS and the cap gets scratched.  Once they're out of the tray and all over the box there are less new scratches. Did you notice most of the scratches are on the sides?

Offline jpsteel

« Reply #1697 on: Sun, 09 August 2015, 08:35:08 »
Where is intelli78 in all this?

Offline Flyersfan1

• * Destiny Supporter
  • Hi!
« Reply #1698 on: Sun, 09 August 2015, 08:36:58 »
Where is intelli78 in all this?
He's posted several times within the last day or two.
Quote from: Photekq
i know people who think salt is spicy

Offline LXXXIX

• Just remember all caps when you spell the man name
« Reply #1699 on: Sun, 09 August 2015, 08:39:42 »