Author Topic: retrobrite questions  (Read 2177 times)

Offline Special K

retrobrite questions
« on: Sun, 05 April 2015, 17:14:50 »
I am attempting my first retrobrite after reading the thread here:

https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=36719.0

In that thread, Input Nirvana said it is not necessary to use creams or high concentration peroxides, but that instead one could use Oxiclean and water.  I just started my retrobrite on the top case of a Compaq MX11800 using only water, a large plastic storage bin, Oxiclean, and a UV bulb screwed into a desk lamp.  I am already encountering a couple of problems that I am hoping some members here can comment on:

1. The case floats to the top of the water if I don't have something sitting on top of two opposite corners to weigh the case down.  I am using ceramic mugs filled with water.  This keeps the case down in the water, but now those two corners aren't getting any UV light and likely won't match the rest of the case once the retrobrite is complete.  I could do another retrobrite session to get the corners, but that seems like a waste.  What did everyone else do?

2. The back panel of the case has a large sticker on it, as most/all keyboards do.  When using cream or paste, you can get around this by simply not spreading cream over the label.  How do you avoid ruining the label when you are submerging the board in a solution of water and Oxiclean?
Filco FKBN104MC/EB
Filco FKBN104M/EB2
IBM Model M 1391401 - 11/13/87

Quote from: ripster
LOL - we're on post #163 of this mega-thread and you've gone from"keyboard n00b" to "keyboard sn0b".  We've done our job.

Offline Eugene

Re: retrobrite questions
« Reply #1 on: Mon, 06 April 2015, 00:34:01 »
Seal over the area  with plenty of tape, leaving good gaps on the side so no water seeps onto the label. That part will stay yellow, then you'd have to use something like 40vol cream or the retr0bright foam to take care of the still yellowed area around the label.

Keep in mind that Oxi Clean + water will create lots of bubbles on the surface, that's one reason why your case floats to the top so easily besides the natural buoyancy of ABS. Those bubbles might actually create a thick enough foamy layer to significantly reduce effectiveness of your UV light.
« Last Edit: Mon, 06 April 2015, 00:37:14 by Eugene »

Offline Special K

« Reply #2 on: Mon, 06 April 2015, 11:05:43 »
Keep in mind that Oxi Clean + water will create lots of bubbles on the surface, that's one reason why your case floats to the top so easily besides the natural buoyancy of ABS. Those bubbles might actually create a thick enough foamy layer to significantly reduce effectiveness of your UV light.

You are correct, it does create a layer of bubbles on top of the water that completely covers the keyboard.  I think next time I will try the cream.

Filco FKBN104MC/EB
Filco FKBN104M/EB2
IBM Model M 1391401 - 11/13/87

Quote from: ripster
LOL - we're on post #163 of this mega-thread and you've gone from"keyboard n00b" to "keyboard sn0b".  We've done our job.

Offline IvanIvanovich

• Mr. Silk Underwear
« Reply #3 on: Mon, 06 April 2015, 19:00:31 »
Having some experience specifically with Cherry stuff...
Most of the cases have hole for screws in the top shell inside, even on most models that only clip together but you might have to 'tap' into them yourself. Thread some eye screws into them and attach weight to those so it's held down from below. As for the labels, most of them are laser printed on a plastic/foil type decal which are waterproof anyway so there isn't much need to worry about them as they won't be harmed at all.

Offline Input Nirvana

• Master of the Calculated Risk
  • If I tell ya, I'll hafta kill ya
« Reply #4 on: Sun, 19 April 2015, 14:37:50 »
Chiming in:

The one thing I never tried was the hair stuff at beauty supply places. That may be a good "in-between" from the straight liquid and the hassle of concocting a gel on your own, which has never been appealing to me, especially when I saw others blotchy results.
Kinesis Advantage cut into 2 halves | RollerMouse Free 2 | Apple Magic Trackpad | Colemak
Evil Screaming Flying Door Monkeys From Hell                     Proudly GeekWhacking since 2009
Things change, things stay the same                                        Thanks much, Smallfry  
I AM THE REAPER . . . BECAUSE I KILL IT
~retired from forum activities 2015~

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #5 on: Sun, 19 April 2015, 14:39:01 »
http://www.pcenginefx.com/forums/index.php?topic=18814.0

I just found this thread on another forum and it seems very easy compared to using Oxiclean and water and UV lights. When I finally get around to retrobrighting something, I'm going to try this method.