Author Topic: Retrobrite recipes are complete BS  (Read 36039 times)

Offline AKIMbO

• HHKBro
  • Know Topre, Know Peace. No Topre, No Peace.
Retrobrite recipes are complete BS
« on: Sun, 21 October 2012, 08:47:03 »
My SGI granite before retrobriting:

My SGI granite after retrobriting:

All I used was 4 hours of South Florida sunshine and 40 vol creme developer from Sally's Beauty Supply ($12 for a gallon...which is enough to do several boards and then some).  There's no need for xanthan gum or glycerin. 
Mkawa Beta SSK | IBM SSK | IBM Model AT F | IBM F 122 | IBM Unsaver | LZ-GH (62g ergo clears) | HHKB Pro2 Type-S | HHKB Pro2 | Realforce 87U-Silent (55g uniform) | Leopold FC660C | Omnikey 101 (blue alps) | Kingsaver (blue alps) | Zenith ZKB2 (green alps)
| KBD75 (box reds)

Offline jeroplane

Re: Retrobrite recipes are complete BS
« Reply #1 on: Sun, 21 October 2012, 09:26:41 »
As far as I know, I think gum/glycerin/corn starch is generally used to simply thicken the mixture for easier application as opposed to being an active ingredient.

My signature hasn't changed since 2012. I should really update it.

Offline AKIMbO

• HHKBro
« Reply #2 on: Sun, 21 October 2012, 09:32:42 »
As far as I know, I think gum/glycerin/corn starch is generally used to simply thicken the mixture for easier application as opposed to being an active ingredient.

It is...but I'm saying even the oxyclean isn't needed.  The 40 vol creme developer is all you need. And it comes pre-mixed!
Mkawa Beta SSK | IBM SSK | IBM Model AT F | IBM F 122 | IBM Unsaver | LZ-GH (62g ergo clears) | HHKB Pro2 Type-S | HHKB Pro2 | Realforce 87U-Silent (55g uniform) | Leopold FC660C | Omnikey 101 (blue alps) | Kingsaver (blue alps) | Zenith ZKB2 (green alps)
| KBD75 (box reds)

Offline IvanIvanovich

• Mr. Silk Underwear
« Reply #3 on: Sun, 21 October 2012, 10:20:17 »
Yes if you buy high concentrate peroxide paste, nothing else is needed unless you want to really speed things up. It just depend on what is available. Some people don't have access to that type of product easy and have to make due with what can be had from somewhere like walmart which is usually peroxide under 10% so the oxi really is needed there to increase strength.
Thickener is only needed if you don't have a big tub for large item like case body, as it can be painted on and stay put instead of soak in liquid.

Offline Capitalistix

• Cherry MX Green Disciple
    • Uncanny Electronics
« Reply #4 on: Sun, 21 October 2012, 10:57:25 »
My SGI granite before retrobriting:
Show Image

My SGI granite after retrobriting:
Show Image

All I used was 4 hours of South Florida sunshine and 40 vol creme developer from Sally's Beauty Supply ($12 for a gallon...which is enough to do several boards and then some).  There's no need for xanthan gum or glycerin.

Lookin great man! So did you just take the case apart, smear on the creme, and then just let it sit in the sun?

Offline AKIMbO

• HHKBro
« Reply #5 on: Sun, 21 October 2012, 11:18:49 »
^Yup...more or less.  I took the case apart and painted a light layer of the creme on it and let it sit in the sun for 45 minutes.  After 45 minutes, I took the case inside and washed the creme off, then reapplied another light layer and let sit in the sun for 45 more minutes....rinse and repeat a total of 4 times.  The results are pretty drastic if you ask me.  I'm going to be doing a few more old boards I have (Zenith ZKB2 and the Dell AT101).

Yes if you buy high concentrate peroxide paste, nothing else is needed unless you want to really speed things up. It just depend on what is available. Some people don't have access to that type of product easy and have to make due with what can be had from somewhere like walmart which is usually peroxide under 10% so the oxi really is needed there to increase strength.
Thickener is only needed if you don't have a big tub for large item like case body, as it can be painted on and stay put instead of soak in liquid.

I always thought beauty supply stores were prevalent in the US.  I have 4 of them within a few miles of my house.  I guess I'm lucky.  You can order the creme online though (link). 
« Last Edit: Sun, 21 October 2012, 11:22:47 by AKIMbO »
| KBD75 (box reds)

Offline Input Nirvana

• Master of the Calculated Risk
  • If I tell ya, I'll hafta kill ya
« Reply #6 on: Sun, 28 October 2012, 22:22:41 »
FYI---

The megathread on GH with the pics and comparisons must be gone.

We found out a year ago all you need is Oxy-Clean or generic about 2 times stronger than the strongest mixture on the box. It works for about 6 hours then the chemicals react out.

You can sit and debate all the Retrobrite discussions you want, but several of us did this with Oxy and water. That's it.
The Oxy is far cheaper (pennies) and safer and easier to use. Plus the extra can be used in your laundry. Doing this any other way is just silly. More expensive, possibly dangerous and harder to do.

Don't make it more complicated than it is. You guys sound like you're taking the expensive, harder route. Stop, turn around, go the other way!
« Last Edit: Sun, 28 October 2012, 22:37:39 by input nirvana »
Kinesis Advantage cut into 2 halves | RollerMouse Free 2 | Apple Magic Trackpad | Colemak
Evil Screaming Flying Door Monkeys From Hell                     Proudly GeekWhacking since 2009
Things change, things stay the same                                        Thanks much, Smallfry  
I AM THE REAPER . . . BECAUSE I KILL IT
~retired from forum activities 2015~

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
  • OmniExpert of: Rice, Top-Ramen, Ergodox, n Females
« Reply #7 on: Mon, 29 October 2012, 02:29:46 »
FYI---

We found out a year ago all you need is Oxy-Clean or generic about 2 times stronger than the strongest mixture on the box. It works for about 6 hours then the chemicals react out.

You can sit and debate all the Retrobrite discussions you want, but several of us did this with Oxy and water. That's it.
The Oxy is far cheaper (pennies) and safer and easier to use. Plus the extra can be used in your laundry. Doing this any other way is just silly. More expensive, possibly dangerous and harder to do.

Don't make it more complicated than it is. You guys sound like you're taking the expensive, harder route. Stop, turn around, go the other way!

Diggity...

Offline AKIMbO

• HHKBro
« Reply #8 on: Mon, 29 October 2012, 06:48:33 »
FYI---

Damn you rootworm....I shall try the oxy and water method next time.  Thanks for the tip.
| KBD75 (box reds)

Offline SmallFry

• ** Moderator Emeritus
  • Leaving 6/15; returning 6/22 or so.
« Reply #9 on: Mon, 29 October 2012, 07:29:28 »
I read the title as Retr0Brite recipes are complete BucklingSpring... I need to get out more.

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #10 on: Mon, 29 October 2012, 07:33:44 »
Are you saying that the sunlight is not required, either?

I have only tried it a couple of times (low success rate) and I had trouble finding a large shallow container for the cases, preventing them from floating up, and the keys kept flipping over (that pesky old gravity, I suppose) so I gave up.

I have a collection of ugly yellow parts in the garage that I would love to brighten up!
State Freedom Caucus News 2024
Missouri state Senator Nick Schroer sponsors a bill that would allow senators to duel one another — in the Senate chambers! – legally.

Offline SmallFry

• ** Moderator Emeritus
« Reply #11 on: Mon, 29 October 2012, 07:35:15 »
IIRC, adding the glycerin allows you to rub it on instead of submerging it.

Offline pasph

« Reply #12 on: Mon, 29 October 2012, 08:50:42 »
Are you saying that the sunlight is not required, either?

I think you can also use an UV-light
http://deskthority.net/workshop-f7/retrobright-madness-t667.html
"There is more stupidity than hydrogen in the universe, and it has a longer shelf life"

Offline SmallFry

• ** Moderator Emeritus
« Reply #13 on: Mon, 29 October 2012, 09:55:49 »
True, the sun is just for the UV light that comes as a part of sunlight:)

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #14 on: Mon, 29 October 2012, 12:26:06 »
So, UV is required in any case?
State Freedom Caucus News 2024
Missouri state Senator Nick Schroer sponsors a bill that would allow senators to duel one another — in the Senate chambers! – legally.

Offline AKIMbO

• HHKBro
« Reply #15 on: Mon, 29 October 2012, 12:58:52 »
So, UV is required in any case?

Yes, UV is required.  I like to retrobrite on a cloudy day since UV rays penetrate clouds and you don't deal with the oppressive southern sunshine (which can warp plastic cases if you aren't careful).
| KBD75 (box reds)

Offline SmallFry

• ** Moderator Emeritus
« Reply #16 on: Mon, 29 October 2012, 13:59:22 »
I would love to try retr0briting since I don't want screw up something I really like etc.