Author Topic: What cameras do you guys use/have?  (Read 55537 times)

Offline elbowglue

What cameras do you guys use/have?
« Reply #100 on: Sat, 19 December 2009, 21:26:48 »
By the way fellas I'm selling my tamron 28-75 f2.8 XR Di LD for canon DSLR, used but in great condition.  It's very sharp, will ship to a reliable geekhacker, PM me or give me a call if anyone wanna buy it. Here's the craigslist posting:

http://sfbay.craigslist.org/eby/pho/1517785982.html

You can check my ebay feedback, user elbowglue, 41 positive 0 negative.
Edit: I am selling it on ebay on a 24 hour listing here: http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=110472066152
Shameless self-plug but it's a good deal if you get it for cheap!

Here's a review of it: http://photo.net/equipment/tamron/28_75_Di/index  -- shocking part is that it is sharper than the 50mm 1.8 at same aperture, which I found to be true. Also sharper than EF28-135/3.5-5.6 IS at all focal lengths.
« Last Edit: Sat, 19 December 2009, 22:32:38 by elbowglue »
My keyboards: Filco Cherry Blue Tenkeyless(daily home), Compaq MX11800 (modded to blacks), Compaq "MX 84u",  Wellington\'s Dampened Endurapro, Pinkalicious Filco Blue Cherry, Chicony KB-5191, Chicony KB-5181, Desko MOS 5023 UP "elbowglue" spos (modded to blues), Siig Minitouch (monterey blue), SMK-88 (blue cherries), Ricercar SPOS
Smallest to biggest keyboards in inches (Length X Height) - Length is most important for a midline mouse position

KBC Poker: 11.6 x 3.9 - HHKB: 11.6 x 4.3 - Siig Minitouch (Geekhack Space Saver): 11.6 x 6 - Deck/Tg3 82: 12 x 6 - Noppoo Choc Mini 12.4 x 5.3 - Compaq "MX 84u": 13.1 x 7.5 - Filco Tenkeyless: 14 x 5.3 - Cherry "ricercar spos" G86-62410EUAGSA: 14 x 7.75 - Topre Realforce 86u: 14.4 x 6.65 - Desko "elbowglue spos" MOS 5023 UP: 14.5 x 8.4 - IBM Model M Spacesaver: 15.3 x 7 - G80-1800: 15.9 x 7.1 - Adesso MKB-125B: 16 x 7.3 - Compaq Mx11800, Cherry G80-11900: 16.25 x 7.5 - Filco Standard: 17.3 x 5.4 - Unicomp Endurapro: 17.9 x 7.1 - Adesso MKB-135B: 18.3 x 6.0 - Cherry G80-3000: 18.5 x 7.6 - IBM Model M, Unicomp Customizer: 19.3 x 8.27

Offline keyb_gr

• Cherrified user
    • My keyboard page (German)
« Reply #101 on: Sat, 19 December 2009, 22:10:09 »
Quote from: Computer-Lab in Basement;143767
The only reason I don't mind my cell phone is because I am too lazy and too cheap to buy and use a decent digital camera.  With Verizon phones, you can just take a picture and send it to PIX Place and save them directly to your computer.  Easier than running around finding a USB cable to work with the camera...
Standard procedure here is: Take out memory card, stuff into card reader, plug that one in if necessary (USB cable is already there from the hub), voilą. Dead easy.

I'd think that it should be possible to find something decent on the used market for, say, 50 bucks max. It might not set any world records for speed, may not be ultra compact or have a huge screen, possibly uses some obscure old memory cards, and some Eneloops with matching charger would definitely be handy to have around, but you can bet that a decent camera from 5 or 6 years ago will still snap some perfectly reasonable pictures. Something like, say, our trusty old Minolta Dimage S414 (first digicam here back in 2003).
« Last Edit: Sat, 19 December 2009, 22:14:06 by keyb_gr »
Hardware in signatures clutters Google search results. There should be a field in the profile for that (again).

This message was probably typed on a vintage G80-3000 with blues. Double-shots, baby. :D

Offline microsoft windows

• Blue Troll of Death
  • * Exalted Elder
  • President of geekhack.org
    • Get Internet Explorer 6
« Reply #102 on: Sun, 20 December 2009, 13:58:57 »
I'm sure you guys can tell this from my pictures, but I use a crappy old cell-phone camera for taking my pictures.
CLICK HERE!     OFFICIAL PRESIDENT OF GEEKHACK.ORG    MAKE AMERICA GREAT AGAIN MERRY CHRISTMAS

Offline ch_123

• * Exalted Elder
« Reply #103 on: Sun, 20 December 2009, 14:37:15 »
Quote from: keyb_gr;143833
Standard procedure here is: Take out memory card, stuff into card reader, plug that one in if necessary (USB cable is already there from the hub), voilą. Dead easy.

I'd think that it should be possible to find something decent on the used market for, say, 50 bucks max. It might not set any world records for speed, may not be ultra compact or have a huge screen, possibly uses some obscure old memory cards, and some Eneloops with matching charger would definitely be handy to have around, but you can bet that a decent camera from 5 or 6 years ago will still snap some perfectly reasonable pictures. Something like, say, our trusty old Minolta Dimage S414 (first digicam here back in 2003).

Or just buy a suitable cable for your phone off eBay.

Offline keyb_gr

• Cherrified user
« Reply #104 on: Sun, 20 December 2009, 15:36:04 »
Quote from: ch_123;143973
Or just buy a suitable cable for your phone off eBay.

The problem with cellphone cameras isn't getting the images out - it's capturing decent-quality ones in the first place. I wonder how many can even beat a good ol' Canon Powershot A60, a general purpose 2 megapixel model (1/2.7" sensor) from 2003.

Incidentally, I used the cable for my camera (Olympus SP-310) exactly once, namely to upgrade the firmware to the last version.
Hardware in signatures clutters Google search results. There should be a field in the profile for that (again).

This message was probably typed on a vintage G80-3000 with blues. Double-shots, baby. :D

Offline InSanCen

« Reply #105 on: Sun, 20 December 2009, 17:28:11 »
Quote from: keyb_gr;143996
The problem with cellphone cameras isn't getting the images out - it's capturing decent-quality ones in the first place. I wonder how many can even beat a good ol' Canon Powershot A60, a general purpose 2 megapixel model (1/2.7" sensor) from 2003.

Incidentally, I used the cable for my camera (Olympus SP-310) exactly once, namely to upgrade the firmware to the last version.

Cable... Camera? What?

None of my DSLR's have ever been tethered to a PC. Card readers all the way (Mine stays blu-tacked to the top of my PC).

I suspect that my current Camera phone (Sony Erricson C905 in the UK, I think the US uses a different name for it), is better than some older camera's, but it is, for me at least, verging into the "too many pixels" category. 8MP on a tiny sensor gives a fairly noisy picture.

The other half still uses an old Sanyo Exacti S1. It's 3MP, 3x Optical (35-105 equivalent) zoom. But, it shoots surprisingly good Macro shots. Linkage.

Having sold my 1Ds MKIII and some of the better glass (it hurt, but needs must), and relying on a much older D60, it has further reinforced to me that older cameras are not just to be consigned to the backup role. It's actually kind of freeing to be able to go out and shoot, and not be worried that people are sizing up the value of what's hanging off your neck (especially with white glass on the end of it).

Ultimately, this was the other reason I sold the gear. I ended up watching the people around me after a near miss (Someone tried to snatch my bag), and not at what I should have been shooting. I bought the camera to enjoy, and it wasn't any more. If the same happened with the D60, I would be less aggrieved as although it's still money gone to replace it, it's not thousands as it was with the 1Ds. As much as the Geek in me loves the latest greatest gear, and I actually have the ability to use it, I just don't need it (The amount of work available that would need the higher end gear is not worth mentionoing at the moment).
Currently Using :- IBM M13 1996, Black :
Currently Own :- 1391406 1989 & 1990 : AT Model F 1985 : Boscom 122 (Black) : G80-3000 : G80-1800 (x2) : Wang 724 : G81-8000LPBGB (Card Reader, MY) : Unitek : AT102W : TVS Gold :
Project\'s :- Wang 724 Pink-->White Clicky : USB Model M : IBM LPFK :
Pointing stuff :- Logitech MX-518 : I-One Lynx R-15 Trackball : M13 Nipple : Microsoft Basic Optical\'s
:

Offline twokatmew

• http://twokatmew.smugmug.com
« Reply #106 on: Sun, 20 December 2009, 20:33:59 »
I have a Panasonic Lumix ZS3, a compact super-zoom.  I like it!  I'd like to get something that allows me to shoot in RAW and at least aperture/shutter priority.  Not sure I want to go the DSLR route though.  I have an old manual 35mm SLR, but I just can't bring myself to use film anymore.
Filco Blue Cherry NKRO, Unicomp SpaceSaver, Filco Brown Cherry NKRO, Rocketfish Wireless Numeric Keypad, MS Comfort Mouse 4500, Wacom Bamboo Pen & Touch, MS Wireless Mobile Mouse 6000, 1960s Olympia SM 3.

Offline keyb_gr

• Cherrified user
« Reply #107 on: Tue, 22 December 2009, 13:27:43 »
Quote from: twokatmew;144074
I'd like to get something that allows me to shoot in RAW and at least aperture/shutter priority.

That's why I got my Olympus. It wasn't easy to find a compact digicam with a "real" aperture and RAW output back then, even less so now. For this (and a relatively nice sensor) I was willing to put up with only average speed, a somewhat obscure memory card format and some fussiness in terms of batteries.
In terms of DSLRs, I like the concept of the Olympus Four Thirds ones. An E-420 with 14-42 mm kit is lighter than many a bridge cam, though many people say you have to try it since it's a little cramped.

Offline twokatmew

« Reply #108 on: Tue, 22 December 2009, 14:16:45 »
Yes! I've been looking at both the Panasonic and Olympus Four Thirds.  They're awfully expensive right now though, so I'm looking ... and not buying. :sad:

What Olympus do you currently have?  I've also been looking at the Canon S90 and the Panasonic Lumix LX3, but I don't like either enough to drop that kind of $$ so recently after purchasing my ZS3.  It'll be interesting to see what 2010 and 2011 bring as far as new technology in digital cameras goes.
Filco Blue Cherry NKRO, Unicomp SpaceSaver, Filco Brown Cherry NKRO, Rocketfish Wireless Numeric Keypad, MS Comfort Mouse 4500, Wacom Bamboo Pen & Touch, MS Wireless Mobile Mouse 6000, 1960s Olympia SM 3.

Offline TheSoulhunter

• Thorpelicious!
« Reply #109 on: Tue, 22 December 2009, 14:35:58 »
Powershot S5 IS + Powerful add-on flash + DIY stuff...
Still saving for a 5d mk2 or 7d (HD filming, yay), tho I wish they would have a articular LCD!
« Last Edit: Tue, 22 December 2009, 14:39:48 by TheSoulhunter »

Offline AndrewZorn

« Reply #110 on: Tue, 22 December 2009, 14:41:19 »
and if you are that incredibly lazy to not want to hook up/move ANYTHING, there are the wifi SD cards that sync to your computer when you get within your wireless network.

Offline keyb_gr

• Cherrified user
« Reply #111 on: Tue, 22 December 2009, 14:43:54 »
Quote from: twokatmew;144497
Yes! I've been looking at both the Panasonic and Olympus Four Thirds.  They're awfully expensive right now though, so I'm looking ... and not buying. :sad:

Do you mean the viewfinderless ones (DMC-GH1, E-P1 and such)? Yep, these are kinda spendy. It's definitely a niche though, and it doesn't take much to predict that there will be some more "bridge cameras" with DSLR sensors coming out.
What Olympus do you currently have?

Oh, the venerable SP-310, long discontinued now. (Bought it used already in like early 2008.) With a 1 GB xD Type H card and Eneloops, it's quite a usable camera. I wonder what kind of performance a 7 MP 1/1.8" sensor built with current technology would give... (I wouldn't want to have anything larger, my comp already breaks into sweat too much for my liking with the 9 MP pics from my dad's Fuji S9600. And honestly, does anyone really need a super high resolution from a compact?)
It'll be interesting to see what 2010 and 2011 bring as far as new technology in digital cameras goes.

I hope we will be seeing a trend towards further reduced resolution and increased dynamic range in compact camera sensors - 12 MP on 1/2.33" is just nuts.

Offline MsKeyboard

« Reply #112 on: Tue, 22 December 2009, 15:54:40 »
Just picked up a Canon T1i.  Talk about an expensive hobby!  When do you get done buying extra parts, lens, flash, bags, filters, etc...?

Later.......

Offline twokatmew

« Reply #113 on: Tue, 22 December 2009, 17:07:57 »
Quote from: keyb_gr;144510
Do you mean the viewfinderless ones (DMC-GH1, E-P1 and such)? Yep, these are kinda spendy. It's definitely a niche though, and it doesn't take much to predict that there will be some more "bridge cameras" with DSLR sensors coming out.

I've been looking at the Panasonic GF1 and the Olympus EP-1.  The Panasonic GH-1 and Olympus EP-2 got briefer looks, as they're even more spendy.  I've been reading lots of camera/photography blogs lately, and the consensus seems to be there will be more competition among camera manufacturers (esp with this technology) in the coming years.

And honestly, does anyone really need a super high resolution from a compact?)
No!  I was able to get pretty decent photos from my Canon SD630 at 6MPs, and I still had plenty of room for cropping.  But ... the SD630 is lacking image stabilization, so in low light, I have a hard time getting sharp photos.  The ZS3 does much better in low-light, even using a fair amount of zoom.

I hope we will be seeing a trend towards further reduced resolution and increased dynamic range in compact camera sensors - 12 MP on 1/2.33" is just nuts.
Canon's G11 reduced the number of pixels compared to the G10, apparently for this very reason.  I wouldn't expect to see anything less than 10MPs though.

I've also been looking at the Canon XSi and T1i, but as I said previously, I'm still not sure I want to go the DSLR route.  Bigger cameras tend to sit in the closet at my house, so I'd hate to spend that kind of $$ for a camera I seldom use.
« Last Edit: Tue, 22 December 2009, 17:28:48 by twokatmew »

Offline keyb_gr

• Cherrified user
« Reply #114 on: Tue, 22 December 2009, 18:00:49 »
Some good advice there.

Let me mention that the glass is usually the most expensive part in a DSLR setup, and for good reason. It doesn't make much sense to pick up a super fancy DSLR just to pair it with an average-quality kit lens for all its life (Olympus has some rather good ones, they're not that cheap either, but the usual Canon and Nikon ones apparently aren't overly exciting). Sure a kit lens is great for learning, and they usually work reasonably well when stopped down a bit, but in the long run one should figure in the cost for a better-quality one. Otherwise rebalancing the budget away from the body and towards the lens should be considered.

Offline AndrewZorn

« Reply #115 on: Tue, 22 December 2009, 20:03:03 »
the LX3 is nice, i was thinking about one.  ended up with a more-point-and-shoot-than-i-wanted SX110, but at least it has the modes.  also will shoot in RAW and do more than probably any DSLR can with CHDK firmware mod.  incredible level of features and customization.  normally though, i just start it in normal mode, and use aperture/shutter priority, manual sometimes.

there are other things i liked about it when i got it, like the fact that it runs on AA batteries.  iraq wasnt as much of a problem as i thought it was going to be in that area.  the pictures arent bad, they just dont have that DSLR quality, and its low speed and high ISO noise is kind of a pain.  every time i get to use someone elses DSLR, i realize "WOW, you can get good images without outdoor light!"

i really would like a DSLR after all i have learned through mine, i just dont think i would take it anywhere.  i can barely be bothered to take my SX110 as it is, because of a minimal case even it doesnt really fit in a normal pocket.  it would be nice to hang out of a turret with a DSLR, changing lenses instead of holding the gun and all, but that would probably be even more obvious.
« Last Edit: Tue, 22 December 2009, 20:07:57 by AndrewZorn »

Offline ricercar

• * Elevated Elder
  • mostly abides
« Reply #116 on: Tue, 22 December 2009, 23:00:11 »
I have one rule: buy your camera from a photography company, not a consumer electronics company.
I trolled Geekhack and all I got was an eponymous SPOS.

Offline msiegel

« Reply #117 on: Wed, 23 December 2009, 00:24:42 »
Quote from: ripster;144660
Topre's main business is whaaaaa???

um... "to serve man"? :ohwell:

Filco Zero (Fukka) AEKII sliders and keycaps * Filco Tenkeyless MX brown * IBM F/AT parts: modding
Model F Mod Log * Open Source Generic keyboard controller

Offline InSanCen

« Reply #118 on: Wed, 23 December 2009, 01:50:04 »
Quote from: ripster;144565
Get creative with the on-camera flash by sticking a white piece of paper in front of it as a diffuser.

I find using some Lens Cleaning Tissues and an elastic band works great. In the UK, Jessops do a Diffuser baggie (Elasticated bag that goes over your flash) for under a fiver.

Quote from: ripster;144565
In other words, just beat the heck out of that camera before buying any extra junk.  Get an extra battery.  You need that.

+1. Shoot a lot. Find the pictures you like, look at the EXIF data. Analyse, repeat. You will shoot a lot to understand what you need to do to get a picture *you* like. Even more to make it second nature.
Currently Own :- 1391406 1989 & 1990 : AT Model F 1985 : Boscom 122 (Black) : G80-3000 : G80-1800 (x2) : Wang 724 : G81-8000LPBGB (Card Reader, MY) : Unitek : AT102W : TVS Gold :
Pointing stuff :- Logitech MX-518 : I-One Lynx R-15 Trackball : M13 Nipple : Microsoft Basic Optical\'s
:

Offline JaccoW

• Fire Typer!!
  • * Elevated Elder
  • Keyboard is Lava!
« Reply #119 on: Sun, 27 December 2009, 18:04:50 »
Till august I had a Sony DSC-N1 digital compact.
Back then it was one of the few camera's with a touchscreen, which made it quite easy to reach all advanced functions quickly.

I ruined it while shooting a bit too close to a waterfall. Because of the cold and condensation the shutter got stuck together and got warped in the closed position.
Won't be doing that again. :P

I am looking for something compact, but still pretty versatile, so the Micro Four Thirds cameras from Olympus, Panasonic and the very nice, but also insanely expensive Leica models piked my interest.

I'll just be keeping an eye on the market, since I don't plan on buying anything till spring/summer.
Does anyone here have any experience with these cameras or some hints?
|||Daily driver: Duck Orion TKL
|||My other keyboards :
More
|||The Original|Home|Work|Numpad|Play|Endgame|Keycaps
x
|Déck Legend Frost|Keycool 87 LE|Leopold FC660M|FC 210TP|Raptor K1 Gaming|Duck Orion TKL|My keycaps & sets
|Pics|Pics|Pics|Pics|Pics|Pics

|||Want to know what Keycap stores there are? Check out my Keyboard Pearltree and my (FS/FT/WTB) thread

Offline JaccoW

• Fire Typer!!
  • * Elevated Elder
  • Keyboard is Lava!
« Reply #120 on: Mon, 28 December 2009, 18:13:29 »
Lol, probably.
But €5500,- for a camera is probably a bit too much.

Did you ever use that panasonic?
|||My other keyboards :
More
x
|Déck Legend Frost|Keycool 87 LE|Leopold FC660M|FC 210TP|Raptor K1 Gaming|Duck Orion TKL|My keycaps & sets

|||Want to know what Keycap stores there are? Check out my Keyboard Pearltree and my (FS/FT/WTB) thread

Offline JaccoW

• Fire Typer!!
  • * Elevated Elder
  • Keyboard is Lava!
« Reply #121 on: Tue, 29 December 2009, 01:54:58 »
Ultra wide angle sounds good.

German wages are high, but it's also right next to countries such as Poland and the Czech republic and Slovakia (Czechoslovakia doesn't exist anymore ;)) combined with a high value of the Euro and you get a quality product that gets too expensive to export.

Also, don't ever buy a BMW. I think it's a bit of a douche-brand.
|||My other keyboards :
More
x

Offline keyb_gr

• Cherrified user
« Reply #122 on: Tue, 29 December 2009, 17:30:48 »
Maybe German wages used to be high, but effectively they have gone down quite a bit over the last 10 years or so (with declining working conditions in general), with further increasing cost of living of course. Due to the pressure from all the international competition, some of our products are now so cheap that other EU member states have trouble keeping up. Oops.

As for Cherry's keyboard production, most of that still seems to be in Germany, with the Czech factory making G80s with more exotic switches (having inherited their old tooling) and stuff like that.

Offline TheSoulhunter

• Thorpelicious!
« Reply #123 on: Tue, 05 January 2010, 16:43:46 »
Just got this baby...

I'm especially amazed by its low light capabilities:
« Last Edit: Tue, 05 January 2010, 16:47:14 by TheSoulhunter »

Offline itlnstln

« Reply #124 on: Tue, 05 January 2010, 16:47:09 »
Wow, that's nice, congrats.  It makes me want to get a nice camera.  I just don't take any pictures, though, so I would never get the use out of it that I should.  Those low-light pics are amazing.

Offline TheSoulhunter

• Thorpelicious!
« Reply #125 on: Tue, 05 January 2010, 18:01:15 »
Quote from: ripster;148251
Lenses to match the resolution are gonna get spendy.
Yep, tho I have to get a faster prime (for filming) first...
Probably a Sigma 30mm F1.4 EX DC HSM or Canon EF 50mm f/1.4 USM

Quote from: ripster;148251

P.S.  Tell your GF I like her socks.
It's my mom actually... :D
Btw, it's funny, 30 min. ago someone else made exactly the same comment, lol!

Offline soloz2

« Reply #126 on: Tue, 05 January 2010, 19:16:43 »
I really like my Canon Digital Rebel XTi.

Offline AndrewZorn

« Reply #127 on: Tue, 05 January 2010, 19:27:04 »
older post, but yeah, i wish i got the LX-3.

and i found a stuck pixel on my camera the other day.
not hot, stuck.
not the lcd, the sensor.
very sad moment.
and it wasn't there before, because that is the reason i exchanged the FIRST one i got.

Offline keyb_gr

• Cherrified user
« Reply #128 on: Wed, 06 January 2010, 11:05:11 »
Quote from: AndrewZorn;148290
and i found a stuck pixel on my camera the other day.
not hot, stuck.
not the lcd, the sensor.
very sad moment.
and it wasn't there before, because that is the reason i exchanged the FIRST one i got.

It doesn't have a "pixel mapping" function like my Olympus has?

Offline AndrewZorn

« Reply #129 on: Wed, 06 January 2010, 18:57:19 »
just looked it up, no, but someone has made a CHDK script to do it.  i just am sure it will only work when i run chdk... oh well.

they say you can send it to canon to remap, i might, since wont need it that much soon.

Offline Rajagra

« Reply #130 on: Wed, 06 January 2010, 20:42:25 »
Quote from: AndrewZorn;148663
just looked it up, no, but someone has made a CHDK script to do it.  i just am sure it will only work when i run chdk... oh well.

they say you can send it to canon to remap, i might, since wont need it that much soon.

Are you sure it isn't dust on the sensor?
If it always affects just one pixel you are probably right.

I kept the results of a sensor cleaning test I once did here.

Offline AndrewZorn

« Reply #131 on: Wed, 06 January 2010, 21:22:31 »
same pixel, every time, bright blue.
it is a point and shoot, so i dont really think dust would get in easily (or would be removed easily)

Offline elbowglue

« Reply #132 on: Fri, 08 January 2010, 16:21:01 »
I like how you used the bag of spekulatius to block the flare you were getting from the ltitle lighted thing on the coffee table.  It's like shooting into the sun when you are at that kinda iso.  lol!
My keyboards: Filco Cherry Blue Tenkeyless(daily home), Compaq MX11800 (modded to blacks), Compaq "MX 84u",  Wellington\'s Dampened Endurapro, Pinkalicious Filco Blue Cherry, Chicony KB-5191, Chicony KB-5181, Desko MOS 5023 UP "elbowglue" spos (modded to blues), Siig Minitouch (monterey blue), SMK-88 (blue cherries), Ricercar SPOS
Smallest to biggest keyboards in inches (Length X Height) - Length is most important for a midline mouse position

KBC Poker: 11.6 x 3.9 - HHKB: 11.6 x 4.3 - Siig Minitouch (Geekhack Space Saver): 11.6 x 6 - Deck/Tg3 82: 12 x 6 - Noppoo Choc Mini 12.4 x 5.3 - Compaq "MX 84u": 13.1 x 7.5 - Filco Tenkeyless: 14 x 5.3 - Cherry "ricercar spos" G86-62410EUAGSA: 14 x 7.75 - Topre Realforce 86u: 14.4 x 6.65 - Desko "elbowglue spos" MOS 5023 UP: 14.5 x 8.4 - IBM Model M Spacesaver: 15.3 x 7 - G80-1800: 15.9 x 7.1 - Adesso MKB-125B: 16 x 7.3 - Compaq Mx11800, Cherry G80-11900: 16.25 x 7.5 - Filco Standard: 17.3 x 5.4 - Unicomp Endurapro: 17.9 x 7.1 - Adesso MKB-135B: 18.3 x 6.0 - Cherry G80-3000: 18.5 x 7.6 - IBM Model M, Unicomp Customizer: 19.3 x 8.27

Offline watduzhkstand4

« Reply #133 on: Fri, 08 January 2010, 16:34:14 »
Quote from: TheSoulhunter;148243
Just got this baby...
Show Image

I'm especially amazed by its low light capabilities:
Show Image

nice 7D you got there =D
KEYBOARDS
Cherry Blue *Filco Tenkeyless w/ blank keys* w/ red ESC key thanks to Megarat
Cherry Red Noppoo Choc Mini
IBM Model M 1391401 12/15/88
Siig Minitouch w/ White Alps

SOLD
HHKB Pro 2 white w/ blank keys red ESC key and blank WASD keys
HHKB L-2
Cherry Brown Compaq mx11800
Dell AT101W
Cherry Red Leopold 104-key Otaku FC500RR/ABN

Offline nanu

• http://T-T.be/portal
« Reply #134 on: Mon, 22 March 2010, 07:45:42 »
(best thread to put it in, i guess)

i made a cable release =D

focus: top button
shutter: trigger

cherry mx switches don't ideally fit but i made them fit.

dremel two tic tac lids and one brittle, clear case

wire it up

wrap with electrical tape

it'd be "photographer discreet" if i dyed the keycaps black. eh

Offline Rajagra

« Reply #135 on: Mon, 22 March 2010, 08:33:25 »
Would be nice to have blue Cherries in that maybe. Wouldn't be very discreet then though!

Offline didjamatic

« Reply #136 on: Mon, 22 March 2010, 08:46:18 »
Nice hack Nanu, is that 2KRO?
IBM F :: IBM M :: Northgate :: Cherry G80 :: Realforce :: DAS 4

Offline Half-Saint

« Reply #137 on: Mon, 22 March 2010, 09:35:26 »
Nikon D90 w/ Nikkor 18-105mm VR...
IBM Model M (6) - Acer Alcatel 6312-KW - IBM Model M Space Saver - IBM Model M 122-key - Cherry G80-3000 (2) - IBM Model F AT - TG3 BL82A (2)

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Offline firestorm

« Reply #138 on: Mon, 22 March 2010, 14:38:09 »
I have a good old Canon Rebel XT.  I bought it because I could get the body only for something like $400 (back in '07) and spent a little more on glass.  My primary lens is a Tamron 17-50 f/2.8 - very sharp and fast lens.  I also have the Canon 50mm f/1.8 of course.

Saturday, I picked up a Tamron 70-200mm f/2.8, after weighing between that and the Canon 70-200mm f/4L.  I'm actually impressed with the sharpness of this lens, and actual quite pleased with the AF performance.  Surprisingly, I'm considering exchanging it because I've been getting "Error 01", which means the body and lens are losing communication.  Now I'm trying to decide whether to do a like-for-like exchange, or possibly going up to the Canon 70-200 f/2.8 (but that's a lot of cash for us.)  Part of me feels that I'd be fine with another Tamron, but my confidence is definitely shaken at this point.

Offline sethstorm

« Reply #139 on: Mon, 22 March 2010, 17:03:05 »
Fujitsu Finepix s5100. Does RAW, and shoots somewhere in between a good CCD camera and a SLR.  It does not take lenses as far as I can tell.
« Last Edit: Mon, 22 March 2010, 17:05:52 by sethstorm »
Current:
IBM: Model M: 1391401, 1386887 Terminal 122 Key 
IBM: Model F: 6110668 Terminal 122 key with Trackpoint and M13 blacks
IBM: Specialty: Wheelwriter 5, Boltmodded.  AT F layout, M technology. 
Lexmark/IBM: M13 Black Trackpoint
NCR:HO150-STD1-01-17 Decision Mate V - The other Gray NCR linear.

Offline Specter_57

« Reply #140 on: Mon, 22 March 2010, 18:04:36 »
Got:

Film-
Canon A-1
Ricoh X-RP

with Tamron 28-70 and 70-210 lenses...with Canon FD and Pentax Ricoh-K Adaptall-2 mounts

Digital-
Fuji FinePix S5200

Want:
Pentax K-7 (can use above lenses with:
              Pentax K or KA Adaptall mounts
                  - or -
              Adaptall to M42 + M42 to Pentax K adapters)

.. and I want to use it with this focus screenv (45 degree split diagonal with microprism collar):

http://www.linkdelight.com/index.php/Others/Double-45-Split-Focusing-Screen-For-Pentax-K7/Detailed-product-flyer.html

....and in case readers here do not already know....do check out the Digital Photo Review page...reviews of cameras in exhausting and agonizing detail...brand-specific forums...and great photos as well...*well* worth a look if you want camera info...

See here: http://www.dpreview.com

Spec57
« Last Edit: Mon, 22 March 2010, 19:43:36 by Specter_57 »

Offline clickclack

• * Maker
  • Board Chow EXTRAORDINAIRE
« Reply #141 on: Tue, 23 March 2010, 19:45:16 »
Quote from: nanu;166105
(best thread to put it in, i guess)
i made a cable release =D

Applause! That's a riot, and very cool =)
862+ keyboards and counting!   R.I.P.ster          Vendor link ->Clack Factory

Offline skcheng

• * Destiny Supporter
    • Tenafly Dentistry
« Reply #142 on: Wed, 24 March 2010, 07:44:23 »
Nikon D100 with 105 fixed lens, Canon G15 and Nikon D90 attached to a Zeiss Pico.   Nikon SB-29S ring flash for close up macro work.

Offline firestorm

« Reply #143 on: Wed, 24 March 2010, 08:17:15 »
FWIW, I took the Tamron 70-200mm f/2.8 back yesterday and picked up a Canon 70-200mm f/2.8L.  The Canon is an awesome lens, but it certainly came with some trade offs.  So far, without looking at shots overly critically, it doesn't appear to be appreciably sharper.  It does show potential for having more accurate AF, but the AF is also not appreciably faster in my limited experience so far.  It slows and hunts in similar situations that the Tamron had trouble with.  I'm hoping it tracks moving subjects better.

The biggest thing to throw me off so far is the min. focus distance.  It's 4.9 FEET vs something like 37" for the Tamron.  It lacks macro and a center pinch lens cap, both things the Tamron has.  The tripod collar is more difficult to take off, but it does rotate more easily.  It's also about 1/3 lbs heavier, which I did notice initially.  And it cost $500 more. :(

If the AF is better, assuring I don't miss as many shots, it'll be worth it.  The USM (with full time manual adjustments) is nice, as is it being weather sealed.  Oh... and I'm not getting "Error 01" with it. :)

Offline Rajagra

« Reply #144 on: Wed, 24 March 2010, 10:03:46 »
Quote from: firestorm;166495
So far, without looking at shots overly critically, it doesn't appear to be appreciably sharper.

You remind me of this article. Until fairly recently most good lenses exceeded the capabilities of digital image sensors. But now sensor resolving power has reached the point where better lenses are worthwhile, even necessary.

I suggest enjoying what you have and don't look for imperfections too hard. That lens could serve you well even after several body upgrades.

Offline firestorm

« Reply #145 on: Wed, 24 March 2010, 14:35:20 »
That is kinda why I hesitated to get the Canon.  The Tamron seemed to deliver everywhere I needed it, with the big question initially being the AF.  I checked it for back or front focusing issues, and it didn't seem to exhibit either.  The Canon is held in high regard throughout the industry though, and in the long run that $500 difference isn't such a big factor.

Interesting enough, regarding the article you linked, it is a 50D that I'd like to upgrade to at some point.

Offline firestorm

« Reply #146 on: Fri, 26 March 2010, 13:07:42 »
Quote from: ripster;167051
That Canon 70-200mm f/4L is over 4 lbs!

The f/4L is 1.7lbs.  The f/2.8 that I bought is a hair under 3lbs - darn heavy regardless.  With the body, I'm just over 4lbs, and with the flash I'm right around 5lbs.

Offline InSanCen

« Reply #147 on: Fri, 26 March 2010, 17:17:43 »
Just scored some Extension tubes for my EOS. We'll see if I can get some decent switch shots with those, a 75-300 mkIII and a Closeup filter. DoF is going to be tiny.
:

Offline kishy

• Eye Bee M
    • http://kishy.ca/
« Reply #148 on: Sun, 28 March 2010, 12:47:51 »
Are pink Alps and salmon Alps the same thing?
Enthusiast of springs which buckle noisily: my keyboards
Want to learn about the Kishsaver?
kishy.ca

Offline InSanCen

« Reply #149 on: Sun, 28 March 2010, 14:53:28 »
Quote from: ripster;167646
See if you can take any pics of those Pink ALPS.  Specifically the springs.

I'm trying to establish a conspiracy theory.

Hypothesis:
  • Blue ALPS is just an older version of White ALPS but other than the color is identical
  • Pink ALPS is just a Black ALPS in drag

I will disassemble a switch, and grab some pictures for you. I'll have a bash tonight using a lighting technique I want to try out anyway.
: