Author Topic: What cameras do you guys use/have?  (Read 55654 times)

Offline watduzhkstand4

What cameras do you guys use/have?
« on: Tue, 15 September 2009, 23:55:21 »
I currently have a Canon A590IS but I will grab myself a 500D by the end of this year. (I hope to get a deal on it from black friday or something)

Any recommendations on which DSLR is good for beginners?
KEYBOARDS
Cherry Blue *Filco Tenkeyless w/ blank keys* w/ red ESC key thanks to Megarat
Cherry Red Noppoo Choc Mini
IBM Model M 1391401 12/15/88
Siig Minitouch w/ White Alps

SOLD
HHKB Pro 2 white w/ blank keys red ESC key and blank WASD keys
HHKB L-2
Cherry Brown Compaq mx11800
Dell AT101W
Cherry Red Leopold 104-key Otaku FC500RR/ABN

Offline Hak Foo

• Make America Clicky Again!
« Reply #1 on: Tue, 15 September 2009, 23:59:00 »
Well, it's probably worth considering which system you want to buy into-- do you fancy a specific lens only available in a specific mount?  Are your local used-camera shops stocked with 5,000 lenses for one camera type.
Overton130, Box Pale Blues.

Offline watduzhkstand4

« Reply #2 on: Wed, 16 September 2009, 00:00:56 »
Quote from: Hak Foo;118315
Well, it's probably worth considering which system you want to buy into-- do you fancy a specific lens only available in a specific mount?  Are your local used-camera shops stocked with 5,000 lenses for one camera type.

I didn't pick Nikon because there's no motor inside the body.
I was considering Sony because of the image stabilization on the sensor but the lens felt very cheap.
So at the end, I chose Canon.
KEYBOARDS

SOLD
HHKB L-2
Dell AT101W

Offline D-EJ915

« Reply #3 on: Wed, 16 September 2009, 00:13:24 »
Quote from: watduzhkstand4;118316
I didn't pick Nikon because there's no motor inside the body.
I was considering Sony because of the image stabilization on the sensor but the lens felt very cheap.
So at the end, I chose Canon.

wait what?  Nikon's cheapo SLRs don't have focus motors in the body but their expensive models do while NO Canon SLRs have the motor in the body...

Canons look nice but man I hate that wheel thing, it's like punching yourself in the head when you want to do something lol.

Offline hyperlinked

« Reply #4 on: Wed, 16 September 2009, 05:34:53 »
I own a Nikon D300. It's an excellent camera [strike]for the money[/strike].

If you want some great common sense camera buying advice from a serious pro, I love what Ken Rockwell has to say. I always stop by his site to read his latest thoughts about his favorite cameras. This guy owns every top of the line Nikon and Cannon and yet wrote once on his site that he usually carries around a "cheapo" Nikon D40 when's he's not out for a photo shoot because the image quality is more than good enough and it's a lot easier than hauling around high end gear.
-

Topre: Realforce 103U Cherry: Filco Majestouch 104 (Brown), Ione Scorpius M10 (Blue)
Buckling Spring: IBM Model M1391401 ALPS: Apple Extended Keyboard II (Cream), ABS M1 (Fukka/Black), MicroConnectors Flavored USB (Black)
Domes: Matias Optimizer, Kensington ComfortType, Microsoft Internet Keyboard
Scissors: Apple Full Sized Aluminum
Pointy Stuff: Razer Imperator, Razer Copperhead, DT225 Trackball, Apple Magic Mouse, Logitech MX1000, Apple Mighty Mouse
Systems: MacPro, MacBook Pro, ASUS eeePC netbook, Dell D600 laptop, a small cluster of Linux Web servers
Displays: Apple Cinema Display 30", Apple Cinema Display 23"
Ergo Devices: Zody Chair, Nightingale CXO, Somaform, Theraball, 3M AKT180LE Keyboard Tray

Offline hyperlinked

« Reply #5 on: Wed, 16 September 2009, 05:44:47 »
Hmm... I just realized that watduzhkstand4 asked for a good "beginners" camera. Nevermind my D300 recommendation unless you've got a lot of money to blow. If you're a beginner, the Cannon 500D or Nikon D90 is probably about right to get you started.

I'm a Nikon guy, so I don't know as much about the Cannon cameras, but you want to get something that has the same kind of interface as the higher end cameras so you're training yourself for the bigger guns if you ever decide to move up. The drawback to the Nikon D40 (and probably D50 too) is that it's really a significantly different camera from the rest of the Nikon product progression from the D90 on up.

If you have no intentions of developing skill as a photographer and just want that "beginner" SLR so you can have an easy to use camera that takes better photos than your typical point and shoot, then the D50 and whatever its Cannon equivalent is will probably be just fine.
-

Topre: Realforce 103U Cherry: Filco Majestouch 104 (Brown), Ione Scorpius M10 (Blue)
Buckling Spring: IBM Model M1391401 ALPS: Apple Extended Keyboard II (Cream), ABS M1 (Fukka/Black), MicroConnectors Flavored USB (Black)
Pointy Stuff: Razer Imperator, Razer Copperhead, DT225 Trackball, Apple Magic Mouse, Logitech MX1000, Apple Mighty Mouse
Systems: MacPro, MacBook Pro, ASUS eeePC netbook, Dell D600 laptop, a small cluster of Linux Web servers
Ergo Devices: Zody Chair, Nightingale CXO, Somaform, Theraball, 3M AKT180LE Keyboard Tray

Offline Rajagra

« Reply #6 on: Wed, 16 September 2009, 05:58:33 »
The best camera is ... any SLR on a good tripod.

I'm still using an old Canon 10D when I want to take real photos. Sure, the newer models have a lot of tempting improvements, but the image quality of the 10D is good enough for 99% of what non-professionals need.

Without wanting to start a Nikon vs Canon war, I prefer Canon. Over the years they have consistently lead the field with advances in image quality.

But one annoying thing about Canon is whenever you buy a new camera body it's almost compulsory to upgrade your flashgun(s).

http://www.luminous-landscape.com/ is an interesting site to browse.
« Last Edit: Wed, 16 September 2009, 06:04:54 by Rajagra »

Offline timw4mail

• https://timshomepage.net
« Reply #7 on: Wed, 16 September 2009, 07:21:57 »
Its too bad you can't convert a film SLR to a DSLR... mine would be a lot more sturdy than DSLRs out there...

There used to be a time cameras were made with quality... kind of like keyboards.

Too bad I don't have any film...
Buckling Springs IBM Model F AT, New Model F 77, Unicomp New Model M
Clicky iOne Scorpius M10, OCN-branded Ducky DK-9008-C, Blackmore Nocturna, Redragon Kumara K552-1, Qtronix Scorpius Keypad, Chicony KB-5181(Monterey)
Tactile Apple AEKII (Cream damped ALPS), Filco FKBN91M/JB (Japanese Tenkeyless), Cherry G84-5200, Cherry G84-4100LPAUS, Datalux Spacesaver(Cherry ML), Redragon Devarajas K556 RGB, Newmen GM711, Poker II (Cherry MX Clear), Logitech G910 Orion Spark, Logitech K840
Linear Lenovo Y (Gateron Red), Aluminum kiosk keyboard (Cherry MX Black)

Offline watduzhkstand4

« Reply #8 on: Wed, 16 September 2009, 07:38:49 »
thanks for all the input guys and I'm most likely going to stick with the 500D. I've checked out the D5000 and I just don't think I like it because it doesn't have enough dedicated buttons for the settings. I don't want to rely on that DPAD forever just to change the ISO or something. I know a couple of places that's legit to purchase a camera such as bhphotovideo.com, newegg.com, beachcamera.com, and dell.com
Do you guys have any experiences with any other places that are legit that you can share? I've read that a lot of places scams and I don't like how some drop ships.

My friend also advised me to get a couple accessories like a UV filter, battery grip, etc. I know this is different for everyone since everyone uses a camera for different applications but accessories do you guys recommend?
KEYBOARDS

SOLD
HHKB L-2
Dell AT101W

Offline hyperlinked

« Reply #9 on: Wed, 16 September 2009, 08:04:29 »
Quote from: watduzhkstand4;118371
My friend also advised me to get a couple accessories like a UV filter, battery grip, etc. I know this is different for everyone since everyone uses a camera for different applications but accessories do you guys recommend?

As a beginner, I'm not sure why you'd really need a battery grip. If you're doing marathon shoots or you do extensive shooting in portrait orientation, it can be handy. It can also be handy to add weight to your camera if you need to shoot in low light and need to use a slower shutter speed.

If for no other reason, you need that UV filter to protect your camera lens from damage. It's better to break your UV filter than to crack your lens.

As you stated, the accessories you need depend on what you want to shoot, but whatever you're shooting, get a USB 2.0 card reader. Don't rely on hooking a cable from your camera to your PC... takes way too damn long that way.

I have a Lowepro sling bag. I love that thing. It's a one shoulder backpack that sits securely on your back and you can quickly swing it to your front to access your camera.
-

Offline hyperlinked

« Reply #10 on: Wed, 16 September 2009, 08:10:45 »
Quote from: watduzhkstand4;118371
thanks for all the input guys and I'm most likely going to stick with the 500D. I've checked out the D5000 and I just don't think I like it because it doesn't have enough dedicated buttons for the settings. I don't want to rely on that DPAD forever just to change the ISO or something.

I wouldn't mind owning a 500D or any Cannon camera for that matter. If that's what you like, no need to justify.

Anyway, the ISO's on Nikons are easily accessed by holding down an ISO button and turning one of the dials. At least that's how it is on all the Nikon models I know. You only need to DPAD esoteric settings that usually aren't critical for composing a shot.
-

Offline nanu

• http://T-T.be/portal
« Reply #11 on: Wed, 16 September 2009, 08:12:45 »
All threads inquiring about newness to SLR bodies will have some guy telling you that the body matters less than the lense.  The common advice is that for shooting objects, if you're on a budget (like most people) you should want to get a fast prime lense; for Canon there is a 50mm F/1.8 or a 50mm F/1.4.

Yeah, what exactly do you intend to shoot?  I just assumed, keyboards, lol.

Such is human nature of wanting to try different things: I'm a Canon 350D user who could've equally wanted to be a Nikon user instead but listened to a Nikon user who wanted to try Canon.

Offline Rajagra

« Reply #12 on: Wed, 16 September 2009, 10:32:37 »
Quote from: ripster;118396
50mm is too long for a digital SLR.  35mm is what you want or you'll never be able to take a group photo indoors.  Most of the pics I am posting here are with either the 35mm or a 105 mm macro lens.  The 105 macro also is a killer portrait lens - the sharpest lens in my kit.

In the end Nikon or Canon doesn't matter but spend a LOT of time getting the right lens.

Get a 50mm f/1.8 lens. Don't think about it, just do it. They are the highest resolution lenses you can get. They are also the cheapest.

I have some nice glass, but the Canon 50mm1.8 Mk.2 has among the best optics, despite being a cheap pile of crap in every other sense.

Yes the focal length multiplying effect of small image sensors can be a pain. But you won't find a bargain like the 50f1.8 at any other focal length.

Not a cheap pile of crap:

Offline o2dazone

« Reply #13 on: Wed, 16 September 2009, 10:53:20 »
I snagged a Canon 400D (XTi) about 1.5 years ago. I got it so I could use all the lenses from my manual Canon

I agree with Rajara, a fixed 50 is awesome for shallow shooting. Wonderfully low aperture without the cost of one.

Offline megarat

• (Not My Real Name)
    • http://www.megarat.com
« Reply #14 on: Wed, 16 September 2009, 12:51:45 »
Quote from: hyperlinked;118373
As a beginner, I'm not sure why you'd really need a battery grip.

If you have big hands, the battery grip makes the body much easier to handle.  (At the sacrifice of size and weight, of course.)

If for no other reason, you need that UV filter to protect your camera lens from damage. It's better to break your UV filter than to crack your lens.

Totally agree.
« Last Edit: Wed, 16 September 2009, 12:54:54 by megarat »

Home/Work:  Custom Filco FKBN87Z/EB and SGI 041-0136-001 chimera (original white ALPS, not simplified, rubber-dampened)
Gaming:  Wolfking Warrior with custom-colored layout, HHKB Lite 2 (Rubber dome)

Offline itlnstln

« Reply #15 on: Wed, 16 September 2009, 12:53:30 »
I wish I cared more about photography.  You guys do some great work.  These days, I hire Mr. Blurrycam for photography duties.

Offline Rajagra

« Reply #16 on: Wed, 16 September 2009, 12:55:44 »
Quote from: megarat;118478
If you have big hands, the battery grip makes the body much easier to handle.  (At the sacrifice of size, of course.)

Also they have an extra shutter release button that falls under your finger when you take portrait shots. (Well - some do.)

Offline megarat

• (Not My Real Name)
« Reply #17 on: Wed, 16 September 2009, 12:58:08 »
Just to throw a wrench in the mix, I use Pentax equipment.  Their DSLR line has been a bit wanting, I must admit, in that they have nothing above the mid-end, but I'm not a high-end photographer, so it suits me fine.

And having backwards compatibility with that massive inventory of Pentax lenses (some of which are stunningly nice) is a terrific benefit.

Home/Work:  Custom Filco FKBN87Z/EB and SGI 041-0136-001 chimera (original white ALPS, not simplified, rubber-dampened)

Offline megarat

• (Not My Real Name)
« Reply #18 on: Wed, 16 September 2009, 13:01:23 »
Quote from: Rajagra;118481
Also they have an extra shutter release button that falls under your finger when you take portrait shots. (Well - some do.)

Agreed, but I don't use mine much.  I find that for quick vertical shots, it's much easier just to turn the camera sideways.  Only if I'm shooting vertical for prolonged periods do I think the vertical shutter pays its rent.

Offline timw4mail

« Reply #19 on: Wed, 16 September 2009, 13:08:39 »
Too bad I have a nice old Minolta Film SLR... it seems like too many DSLRs have too many "easy" options. Why pay that much more than a point-and-shoot camera?

Come on Apple, where's that minimalistic SLR that actually feels mechanical?
Clicky iOne Scorpius M10, OCN-branded Ducky DK-9008-C, Blackmore Nocturna, Redragon Kumara K552-1, Qtronix Scorpius Keypad, Chicony KB-5181(Monterey)
Tactile Apple AEKII (Cream damped ALPS), Filco FKBN91M/JB (Japanese Tenkeyless), Cherry G84-5200, Cherry G84-4100LPAUS, Datalux Spacesaver(Cherry ML), Redragon Devarajas K556 RGB, Newmen GM711, Poker II (Cherry MX Clear), Logitech G910 Orion Spark, Logitech K840

Offline Rajagra

« Reply #20 on: Wed, 16 September 2009, 13:14:43 »
Quote from: ripster;118486
keep everything as lightweight as possible - don't be one of these bozos.

That guy's got the right idea - take along a Siamese twin. They can carry your gear AND act as a tripod.

Offline timw4mail

« Reply #21 on: Wed, 16 September 2009, 13:16:51 »
Somehow, I have the feeling it wouldn't look like that. I've got a Minolta SLR with a 50mm lens...somehow I think that I'd have to spend a lot more money than I'd like to get a camera body that it would fit.

It's too bad I don't have a room that I could make into a darkroom... it's a lot of fun to develop pictures (at least in black and white).

Offline itlnstln

« Reply #22 on: Wed, 16 September 2009, 13:17:30 »
Quote from: ripster;118489
I shudder to think what an Apple Camera would look like.

"Shudder."  Nice pun (I know, it's "Shutter").

An Apple camera might (and did) look like this.

Offline watduzhkstand4

« Reply #23 on: Wed, 16 September 2009, 13:48:02 »
As a beginner, I'm not sure why you'd really need a battery grip. If you're doing marathon shoots or you do extensive shooting in portrait orientation, it can be handy. It can also be handy to add weight to your camera if you need to shoot in low light and need to use a slower shutter speed.

As you stated, the accessories you need depend on what you want to shoot, but whatever you're shooting, get a USB 2.0 card reader. Don't rely on hooking a cable from your camera to your PC... takes way too damn long that way.

I have a Lowepro sling bag. I love that thing. It's a one shoulder backpack that sits securely on your back and you can quickly swing it to your front to access your camera.

I do most of my shooting indoors. I want a battery grip because I don't want the batteries to die on me. If I do get the battery grip, I can have 2 of the lithium and 6xAA before anything dies on me =) I got the SDHC card reader so I'm set on that but I just need to get some Class 6 cards.

Quote from: hyperlinked;118374
I wouldn't mind owning a 500D or any Cannon camera for that matter. If that's what you like, no need to justify.

Anyway, the ISO's on Nikons are easily accessed by holding down an ISO button and turning one of the dials. At least that's how it is on all the Nikon models I know. You only need to DPAD esoteric settings that usually aren't critical for composing a shot.

Well I was just saying I need to go through the menu to set some commonly used settings.

Quote from: nanu;118375
All threads inquiring about newness to SLR bodies will have some guy telling you that the body matters less than the lense.  The common advice is that for shooting objects, if you're on a budget (like most people) you should want to get a fast prime lense; for Canon there is a 50mm F/1.8 or a 50mm F/1.4.

Yeah, what exactly do you intend to shoot?  I just assumed, keyboards, lol.

Such is human nature of wanting to try different things: I'm a Canon 350D user who could've equally wanted to be a Nikon user instead but listened to a Nikon user who wanted to try Canon.

Yes I would shoot my keyboards, also bowling, and pool. Other than that, most of my functions are indoors. I've checked that 50mm f/1.8 II and I've thought of getting that as my prime lens. =]

Quote from: ripster;118396
50mm is too long for a digital SLR.  35mm is what you want or you'll never be able to take a group photo indoors.  Most of the pics I am posting here are with either the 35mm or a 105 mm macro lens.  The 105 macro also is a killer portrait lens - the sharpest lens in my kit.

In the end Nikon or Canon doesn't matter but spend a LOT of time getting the right lens.

Since I was planning to get the 500D kit, I've read that the kit lens is pretty decent. I will stick with that and probably get that 50mm f/1.8 as my prime lens. The other wide angles cost more than the camera. Not that I wasn't thinking of getting it, I want to make sure that if I'm paying that amount for a lens, I'm getting the right lens =P

Quote from: Rajagra;118432
Get a 50mm f/1.8 lens. Don't think about it, just do it. They are the highest resolution lenses you can get. They are also the cheapest.

I have some nice glass, but the Canon 50mm1.8 Mk.2 has among the best optics, despite being a cheap pile of crap in every other sense.

Yes the focal length multiplying effect of small image sensors can be a pain. But you won't find a bargain like the 50f1.8 at any other focal length.

Not a cheap pile of crap:

That is the lens I'm looking to get but may people said that the longevity of the lens is horrible. I've also read that the lens broke after 14 months of slight use. I don't want to spend another couple of hundred just for the f/1.4 just yet. But that lens is a 95% cop for me (;

I see hyperlinked have talked about a camera bag. What camera bags do you guys recommend? Should I buy one of the Canon kit bags with the filters and the extra battery?

Thanks for all the input!! =D
KEYBOARDS

SOLD
HHKB L-2
Dell AT101W

Offline Rajagra

« Reply #24 on: Wed, 16 September 2009, 14:51:29 »
Quote from: watduzhkstand4;118502
What camera bags do you guys recommend?

I use a CCS "Warthog" case for just the camera, I think it was fairly cheap.

For more kit I use a Lowepro Omni Trekker. Pretty expensive, but real quality.
« Last Edit: Wed, 16 September 2009, 14:57:25 by Rajagra »

Offline watduzhkstand4

« Reply #25 on: Wed, 16 September 2009, 14:56:15 »
@rajagra
How much did you pay for that Lowepro Omni Trekker?
KEYBOARDS

SOLD
HHKB L-2
Dell AT101W

Offline Rajagra

« Reply #26 on: Wed, 16 September 2009, 15:03:46 »
About £100 on ebay. It converts into a rucksack or can go into a Pelican case, so it's a bit over the top.

Offline D-EJ915

« Reply #27 on: Wed, 16 September 2009, 15:53:43 »
I use a Canon G6 from ages ago...it's the one with the flip/twist screen which is pretty cool.  I've had two...this is my 2nd one currently, both exhibit the same problem which is they lose a setting from the setting wheel, the first one lost the video setting and my current one is lacking the panorama one.

Offline itlnstln

« Reply #28 on: Wed, 16 September 2009, 16:02:13 »
Quote from: ripster;118535
I like the Crumpler 5 Million Dollar Bag. Small and light. Best of all it doesn't look like a camera bag. If someone mugs me it won't be because of the bag.

Dude, I would mug you just for the bag.

Offline InSanCen

« Reply #29 on: Wed, 16 September 2009, 16:05:31 »
I was convinced I'd posted in this thread, but maybe not.

Okay, EOS 1Ds MKIII, but that's pretty much sold. why am I selling it? I get kind of paranoid walking about with it on (Bad area of town).

I will always keep my other EOS's (D60, EOS1 35mm).

Glasswise, I use several lenses, my all-time favourite is my 70-200 f2.8L IS, followed by the Sigma 500mm f4.5 APO. Other Canon lenses are the 100-400 and 75-300 MKIII (Getting sold soon), and the Nifty Fifty. Third party lenses (All getting replaced) are Sigma 55-200 and Tokina 28-80).

And in 120, I have a Bronica SQAM 6x6 with a Jena 85mm. Perfect for portraiture.

I won't go into all my other camera's, as it'll make me have to get them all out, but suffice to say they range from random 1930's rollfilm's to decent digital Point n Shoots.
InSanCen, Kind of into cameras.
Currently Using :- IBM M13 1996, Black :
Currently Own :- 1391406 1989 & 1990 : AT Model F 1985 : Boscom 122 (Black) : G80-3000 : G80-1800 (x2) : Wang 724 : G81-8000LPBGB (Card Reader, MY) : Unitek : AT102W : TVS Gold :
Project\'s :- Wang 724 Pink-->White Clicky : USB Model M : IBM LPFK :
Pointing stuff :- Logitech MX-518 : I-One Lynx R-15 Trackball : M13 Nipple : Microsoft Basic Optical\'s
:

Offline InSanCen

« Reply #30 on: Wed, 16 September 2009, 16:08:44 »
Quote from: ripster;118547
Another reason I never wear white buds with my iPod Touch.  Plus they sound like crap.

InSanCen - You da man, a Bronica.  I always wanted one of those.  These 35mm wannabees are toys!

It's my baby. Got it for free too! (Just to piss everyone off!)

35mm has it's place (Convienience, Velvia 50... huge stock of it in my freezer), but for huge photo's (Recently did a 72 person Family Portrait), the bronica wails all over 35mm.
« Last Edit: Wed, 16 September 2009, 16:18:20 by InSanCen »
Currently Own :- 1391406 1989 & 1990 : AT Model F 1985 : Boscom 122 (Black) : G80-3000 : G80-1800 (x2) : Wang 724 : G81-8000LPBGB (Card Reader, MY) : Unitek : AT102W : TVS Gold :
Pointing stuff :- Logitech MX-518 : I-One Lynx R-15 Trackball : M13 Nipple : Microsoft Basic Optical\'s
:

Offline itlnstln

« Reply #31 on: Wed, 16 September 2009, 16:13:55 »
Quote from: ripster;118547
Another reason I never wear white buds with my iPod Touch. Plus they sound like crap.

I agree with the "sound like crap comment," but I think, these days, iPods, iPhones, etc. are just commodities anymore, and muggers aren't checking for them like they did about 5 years ago.

Offline InSanCen

« Reply #32 on: Wed, 16 September 2009, 16:51:53 »
Quote from: ripster;118558
You succeeded.  What's your address again?
Show Image

What are you after, the Bronica, 1Ds MKIII or the keyboard collection? ;-)
:

Offline clickclack

• * Maker
  • Board Chow EXTRAORDINAIRE
« Reply #33 on: Wed, 16 September 2009, 17:02:04 »
In keeping with the title of this thread and as a pro phtog-
Digital:
Nikon D2X- work horse/money maker
Nikon D1X- (Backup)-stolen
Nikon D60 free :)  (backup, and a darn good one at that!)
Canon s2is- (documentation camera w/intervelometer settings)-stolen
Nikon D100 w/grip(backup and reasearch)
Nikon D100 IR w/grip(converted)
Fujifilm- heavily modded 10mm register (to remain nameless MUAHAHAHAA)
Film:
Nikon N6006
Nikon N5005- test camera (currently being modded)
Canon rebel Xs- test camera
Pentacon SIX- (medium format)
4x5 x2- scratch built (large format)
and about 8 or so others that are just for testing and/or from my childhood)
(and around 50 or so lenses- stock, modded, converted, scratch built...)

gone to new homes recently-
Nikon F5 (film)
Canon 20D (digital)
Nikon F photomic (film)
8x10- semi scratch built (film)

I mainly stick to Nikon (I love Canon too) mostly for the legacy lenses, and the layout is just incredibly fast! There is also more support for those two brands.

- Ken Rockwell when he is not making a total ass (or contradiction/hipocrite) of himself is nice to browse to find some quick references, info, and/or humor.

BTW, I think someone already commented on this but NONE of the current Canon models have an in body focus motor (the importance of which is a moot point). They switched that out years and years ago iirc. For a bit of trivia (and its ironic) you can't really use any of Canon's old lenses on the new models...BUT you can practically use any other manufacturers lenses on newer Canon's!

Any lower end DSLR will be fantastic as well as the kit lens. Most of which can be use and abused by a professional with great sucess (and many are). I think the general use of Dslr's is overrated for the average user. Some of the newer smaller formated lense swappable DSLR (type) might be a new lower end evolution of the future SLR.

And for the pic of that guy with all the gear....haahaa ,that is like a stripped down version of what I look like on a gig! =P (and most other photogs I know who don't have an assistant as a "dedicated" gear caddy)

For small assignments and or fine art I use a lens down type holster for my camera and lense. I can usually get one SLR with grip and lens plus another lens at the bottom. I prefer Tamrac for the versatility and variety of sizes especially the 5627 and 5629(i think they just discontinued the latter).

Dont worry too much about batteries dying on ya they last pretty darn long now (and unless you are on a gig or in a pinch because you didnt look at the bars) having just a spare battery in your pocket is really ideal. Grips are heavy, bulky (although indeed since I have bigger hands I like purchase my fingers have with bigger lenses 3-14 lbs) and they are less stable on a tripod wth them.
I use them mostly when I am shooting an event and cant miss a beat and/or (and this is mostly the case) I shoot a ton more portrait/vertical than most and my arm hurts like hell w/o one!

A fast and cheap 50mm is really where it's at! The same goes for a 30-35mm fast prime. The added benifit is that the fifty can be use for portraits far more (and artfully) than the one in the 30's. Having said all the kit lens offers far more than you think when pushed.

Dont get sucked too far into fast memory cards, ALL new cameras have good buffers for the average person/enthusiast. Faster ones cost more and you hardly use them to their full advantage. They are great for extended burst depth and video though. But honestly cards could not be more overrated if they tried.

UV filters are great (especially if your clumsy, my ex gf proved that almost daily!!!!!!!! haahaa). However it must be noted most middle priced and cheap ones offer up more porblems than you would think. Severe flare, halos, corner blur, color shift. I personally dont use them unless they provide a specific service. Examples would be- at the beach (dirt and salt water/air) dusty environments, rain, in heavy crowds. More air gap problems if you don't let you gear stabalized with the surrounding temp (condensation occurs)
If you drop you lens from a decent height most likely the filter wont even crack anyway, but your focus drive or zoom functions will be toast. (unfortunate personal experience and that of colleagues).
If you only have one lens, it might behoove you to get a UV filter, if you have more than one lens and it happens to have the same filter size definately get at least one.
It is far more important that you reguarly inspect the front element and clean if necessary to prevent damages to the coating. Dust then wipe, never try to wipe with out dusting/blowing first.

uhhh... I think that is long enough for now! eeek!
sorry :S
862+ keyboards and counting!   R.I.P.ster          Vendor link ->Clack Factory

Offline InSanCen

« Reply #34 on: Wed, 16 September 2009, 17:32:14 »
ClickClack... you make some great points there. What do you shoot for work? Sports?

While not a "Pro" photog, I do make a fair bit of change from it, but not enough to give up the day job. Family portraits and Model Portfolios are still surprisingly steady even in the current economic climate. I avoid Weddings like the plague though... (a mates wedding, ended up taking him to court for a new camera when 400 drunk guests went on the rampage and my 5D+100-400 ended up dead) far too much stress.

I too get bogged down with gear, depnding on what I'm shooting. Motorsport is a particular bug-bear, (but a passion of mine), as the 500mm comes out (although the smallest Prime 500mm I could find, it's still heavy), as does the hefty Tripod (Benbo Trekker MKI with a multi-angle platform head on it). Add to that smaller lenses for slower closer corners (70-200), and I'm goosed by the Time I have set up, let alone a days stint shooting. I much prefer tramping over the hills with the 50mm and some velvia.

I too use Grips (The 1Ds doesn't need one, but was a given purchase with the D60), as I have large hands (The second time I've used that phrase on GH today... weird!).

I spent a good few years working in the retail side of photography, and learnt most of what I know from there (Working with Pro's and retired pro's helps, instant free lessons!). I am debating a Macro lens when I sell the "lesser" lenses I've grown out of. At the moment, I use an old Zenit M42 with bellows, and while it does the job okay, and teaches you how to get keepers (Film costs), it's just too slow for anything but Still-life. Any suggestions in that area? I was eyeing up the 60mm and 100mm Canon, but possibly tempted by the 105mm Sigma.

This is the one passion of mine that will always* come ahead of my Keyboard obsession. New Glass or New Board? Hmmm... Macro Lenses... Drool...

*Yes, I realise this is heresy here on GH!
:

Offline Stevie Wonder

• http://www.steviewonder.net/
« Reply #35 on: Wed, 16 September 2009, 18:05:43 »
Yo Welsh Bro, he's an artist.

Personally I think Photography is highly over-rated as an Art form.

Offline nanu

• http://T-T.be/portal
« Reply #36 on: Wed, 16 September 2009, 18:06:28 »
Quote from: InSanCen;118576
I was eyeing up the 60mm and 100mm Canon, but possibly tempted by the 105mm Sigma.

I have the 60mm Canon macro, but would probably enjoy a 100mm more, since I have no concern for working space, and it would magnifying more on a crop body.  To that end, I feel it would be the sharper.  I don't know if third-parties have caught up performance-wise.

Offline clickclack

• * Maker
« Reply #37 on: Wed, 16 September 2009, 18:37:34 »
Quote from: ripster;118573
See.  Shoulda stuck it in a diaper bag.
My ex gf and I joke about that very thing! Except we  hover around the trash bag idea. (wont go too much into detail there, I wouldn't want ya to find my good stuff now would I?) hahaaa!
But in all seriousness, I had about 10k in gear stolen in a horrible car accident a couple of years ago. I went to the emergency room and the tow company stole all the gear in my car! @#$%ing BASTARDS!!! Only a sick person steals from someone in that situation! I am still recovering too! :( I hope he dropped that D!X and 70-200 on his toe and broke it! =P so there!

I use a D60 for most of my outdoor shots too.  Great little camera.
Yeah, that's why I said go filterless on a cheapo lens since a really good filter like the B&W ones cost almost as much as your lens is worth.

I didn't think too much of the D60 before I owned it and had never though of purchasing one until I won it. (Nikon nation photo contest, it was a nice feeling after being in the accident) But I must say its image quality is nice and very usefull! Truly a great light weight choice! And a very, very useful one for walk around too!

Quote from: InSanCen;118576
ClickClack... you make some great points there. What do you shoot for work? Sports?
I rarely shoot sports (some auto sports though, still uncommon for me). Mostly events (all kinds) and models (scale models for architectural and SFX), portraiture, weddings (although I am steering clear of those now too, haahaa), Documentation, product, general commissioned work, art and fine art.
I have really, really slowed down on the photography since my accident. I am in pretty poor shape still.

While not a "Pro" photog, I do make a fair bit of change from it, but not enough to give up the day job. Family portraits and Model Portfolios are still surprisingly steady even in the current economic climate. I avoid Weddings like the plague though... (a mates wedding, ended up taking him to court for a new camera when 400 drunk guests went on the rampage and my 5D+100-400 ended up dead) far too much stress.
WOW!!!! haahaa (not to be rude, please forgive me)
I don't particuarly like the stress of making sure that my assistant and I dont miss an important moment. And I hate, hate, hate ruining the mood of that beautiful moment if we did by chance miss it (by re-shooting it if the client really wanted it captured. They dont seem to mind but I hate it!)

I too get bogged down with gear, depnding on what I'm shooting. Motorsport is a particular bug-bear, (but a passion of mine), as the 500mm comes out (although the smallest Prime 500mm I could find, it's still heavy), as does the hefty Tripod (Benbo Trekker MKI with a multi-angle platform head on it). Add to that smaller lenses for slower closer corners (70-200), and I'm goosed by the Time I have set up, let alone a days stint shooting. I much prefer tramping over the hills with the 50mm and some velvia.
I just got rid of a 400 2.8 and life just sucked with it! great lens, but bad for health! Word of advice (I may have been the only person dumb enough to do this) don't carry your tripod infront of you, if you trip...it aint pretty! I feel like I can't get by with just one body and lens combo at a time when shooting (unless its studio or fine art, but even then...) but it does take its toll after a full day. When I have an assistant I find that I still carry just as much because then I have more at my disposal...more is better right??? haahaa FAIL!
I do love just relaxing with a film body and shooting though. I dont shoot much velvia anymore (and I cant find it at the local shops anymore, just recently this year!)
I find myself shooting more B&W film now. And from time to time shooting med and large format

I too use Grips (The 1Ds doesn't need one, but was a given purchase with the D60), as I have large hands (The second time I've used that phrase on GH today... weird!).
I find it funny with my D2X that it lasts longer on one batt than any of the cameras I have with grips and batts in them! Although I must admit my D100's last forever too (I am constantly surprised by that)

LARGE HANDS = .... (congrats!) haahaa

I spent a good few years working in the retail side of photography, and learnt most of what I know from there (Working with Pro's and retired pro's helps, instant free lessons!). I am debating a Macro lens when I sell the "lesser" lenses I've grown out of. At the moment, I use an old Zenit M42 with bellows, and while it does the job okay, and teaches you how to get keepers (Film costs), it's just too slow for anything but Still-life. Any suggestions in that area? I was eyeing up the 60mm and 100mm Canon, but possibly tempted by the 105mm Sigma.
I love bellows but I amn constantly frustrated by them. Since you can use so many lenses on bellows or equivalent extension tubes (electronic/chiped or not) I find myself always wanting to see what I can do with a different lens. It makes doing some of my fine art tedious at best. I guess I am not a good fit for it, yet somehow I love large format! haahaa go figure.

The Sigma 150mm 2.8 is really nice! It's hard to go wrong with macro lenses truthfully. But honestly one of the most exciting lenses I have used for macro in the Canon range (althoug not a macro lens) is the Canon 90mm TS-E f/2.8. Yes it is all manual and yes its a tilt shift, and yes it is not a macro, but GOOD GAWD it's incredible!!! If you want to go a bit closer a extension tube is good on it too!
With macro though you should eye up (no pun intended) what you want out of it the most (or a combination there of) Just 1:1, working distance, nice portraiture too, speed, focus travel (since much 1:1 is done manually), sharpness wide open and stopped down.
70-150max is nice for working distance, shake, and isolation. Any shorter or longer and versatility seems a bit of a compromise.

This is the one passion of mine that will always* come ahead of my Keyboard obsession. New Glass or New Board? Hmmm... Macro Lenses... Drool...
haahaa, glass can be very evil! =P

*Yes, I realise this is heresy here on GH!

shhhhh....

Offline clickclack

• * Maker
« Reply #38 on: Wed, 16 September 2009, 18:40:40 »
Quote from: Stevie Wonder;118580

OMG!!!! BWWAAHAHAAAAAA!!!!
"Stevie Wonder"! Damn near fell outta my chair!!!

Offline megarat

• (Not My Real Name)
« Reply #39 on: Wed, 16 September 2009, 19:07:00 »
UPDATE:  Sorry, I didn't catch that this has been posted already.

Quote from: ripster;118489
I shudder to think what an Apple Camera would look like.

Don't forget, Apple has tread that path a long time ago (1994).

I actually owned a QT150.  It was novel, I'll say that much.

Offline hyperlinked

« Reply #40 on: Wed, 16 September 2009, 22:31:25 »
Quote from: watduzhkstand4;118502
I do most of my shooting indoors. I want a battery grip because I don't want the batteries to die on me. If I do get the battery grip, I can have 2 of the lithium and 6xAA before anything dies on me =) I got the SDHC card reader so I'm set on that but I just need to get some Class 6 cards.

If you're mostly worried about your batteries dying on you, just get another battery. It's not like a video camera where your footage is screwed if you have to change batteries in the middle of recording.

The other thing is that do you realize how much you have to shoot to drain the batteries they put into DSLRs these days? Well... I don't know how long the Cannon cameras last, but I'd assume they'd be comparable more or less to the longevity that I have with my D300.

I did buy an external battery pack when I was shooting with a D70 previously, but it was mostly to add weight to the very light feeling D70 so I could be steadier for shots in low lighting that needed a slower shutter speed. Never having held a Cannon 500D, I'd guess that a 500D would be closer in weight to my old D70.
-

Offline hyperlinked

« Reply #41 on: Wed, 16 September 2009, 22:45:40 »
Quote from: clickclack;118570
Dont get sucked too far into fast memory cards, ALL new cameras have good buffers for the average person/enthusiast. Faster ones cost more and you hardly use them to their full advantage. They are great for extended burst depth and video though. But honestly cards could not be more overrated if they tried.

I sorta disagree. I don't think he needs to shell out for top of the line memory cards, but he may gain some performance at a very low price by avoiding the bargain basement cards.

I have no idea how much card a 500D is able to take advantage of though. I know you can find some comparison charts online about how various DSLRs perform with different memory cards. I can't find that site right now and I can't remember what it was either. I just know that with my older low end cards, I can get off 5 or so continuous shots in RAW format on my D300 before the camera has to pause to shoot again. On the higher end cards, I get between 20 and 30 continuous shots before it hiccups at all.

Sure, an enthusiast isn't likely to need much burst capability, but it could be handy to have, especially if it only means paying another $5 to $10 for a card.
-

Offline ironcoder

« Reply #42 on: Thu, 17 September 2009, 02:16:24 »
Quote from: itlnstln;118479
I wish I cared more about photography.  You guys do some great work.  These days, I hire Mr. Blurrycam for photography duties.

That's what cellphone cameras are for
In the office: Filco 87 Cherry Browns x 2 (one with coffee damage, recovered) ● Lexmark IBM Model M 52G9658 1993 & 1996

Offline ironcoder

« Reply #43 on: Thu, 17 September 2009, 02:18:54 »
Quote from: Rajagra;118491
That guy's got the right idea - take along a Siamese twin. They can carry your gear AND act as a tripod.

I had a neighbor who is all of about 5 foot 2 and 120 pounds and a Vietnam vet. He told me they made him carry the belts and other gear supporting the gunner with the 50 BMG. He fell over a couple of times and there was no way in hell he was getting up by himself, so he always had 2 other guys around him to grab his arms and pull him upright.

Always made me wonder why they didn't just give that job to somebody else..
In the office: Filco 87 Cherry Browns x 2 (one with coffee damage, recovered) ● Lexmark IBM Model M 52G9658 1993 & 1996

Offline ironcoder

« Reply #44 on: Thu, 17 September 2009, 02:19:35 »
Quote from: ripster;118535
I like the Crumpler 5 Million Dollar Bag.  Small and light.  Best of all it doesn't look like a camera bag.  If someone mugs me it won't be because of the bag.

Show Image

Because of your good looks? :redface:

Offline clickclack

• * Maker
« Reply #45 on: Thu, 17 September 2009, 04:09:40 »
Quote from: hyperlinked;118629
I sorta disagree. I don't think he needs to shell out for top of the line memory cards, but he may gain some performance at a very low price by avoiding the bargain basement cards.
I know what you mean, but I never said bargain basement cards (bargain basement camera gear is not "usually" a good idea).
A decent card could be $30 as opposed to $5-15(bargain basement) and not be $75-200+ for newer and high speed cards and up to $500+ for highspeed large cards.

I have no idea how much card a 500D is able to take advantage of though.
It has more to do with how much the person can take advantage of it more than the camera (and its silly by and large to have a card that out performs a camera)
 I know you can find some comparison charts online about how various DSLRs perform with different memory cards. I can't find that site right now and I can't remember what it was either. I just know that with my older low end cards, I can get off 5 or so continuous shots in RAW format on my D300 before the camera has to pause to shoot again. On the higher end cards, I get between 20 and 30 continuous shots before it hiccups at all.
Do you mean "burst" when you say continuous mode? Because 5 is kinda low. Even then, that most likely won't hinder most people. And as a last resort you can always change quality setting to bring it up a bit.

Sure, an enthusiast isn't likely to need much burst capability, but it could be handy to have, especially if it only means paying another $5 to $10 for a card.

Indeed it could be handy, especially at only a $5-$10 dollar increase (over bargain basement). But that is mostly a small increase when you are already at a "decent'' card.
« Last Edit: Thu, 17 September 2009, 04:10:32 by clickclack »

Offline InSanCen

« Reply #46 on: Thu, 17 September 2009, 04:24:25 »
Quote from: Stevie Wonder;118580

Well, each to their own. I do think that a lot of crap pictures have the "art" tag slapped on them. I know that it is subjective, but wonky horizons on a landscape picture? I'm trying to remember where I saw this so I can link you up, but the price tag was way high, the picture underexposed (Not in a good way... very "grey"), and generally lacking in any form of technical competence whatsoever. Most others from the same person were in a similar vein.

Some people can get away with breaking the "rules" and score great pictures, but they are few and far between. When done well, I can't see it as a "lesser" art form than say painting. Are my drawings "art"? No, I struggle to do a stick man. Are my pictures good? Well, they sell. Would I call myself an artist? Not by a long shot, but I don't shoot that kind of picture for the most part.

Do I think some Photographers should be considered Artists? Hell yes, but not all, maybe a few percent at most. If you flip the argument around, and compare "modern" or abstract art to a good photograph (an Adams landscape perhaps?), then I would hazard a guess that if you took a straw poll the outcome would show the photo as being more liked. Is the art any less valid? Personally, I couldn't tell you if modern or abstract art is good, but I certainly don't think it's "less" of an art form than photography.
:

Offline clickclack

• * Maker
« Reply #47 on: Thu, 17 September 2009, 04:32:19 »
Quote from: ripster;118584
I really like my 105mm Nikon VR.  The VR is Nikon's vibration reduction system which theoretically should not work for Macros but I have found that it allows me to handhold a lot of shots.
It's a nice lens! VR is an incredibly useful tool in general, and although not know for its useful "macro-ness" if you are in a slight rolling  and not shakey/jittery it can work at times for macro too. If nothing else and you like to hand hold macro (or near macro) it can help keep you from getting dizzy. Move too much though and it has the reverse effect...barf!

Australian Pygmy Sundew from the Perth area.  Bug eating acidy bloodsucking monsters.
anybody else think those look delicious?

Time for Nikon trashtalk.  I find the Nikons really excels in three things:
- Better flash system.  I generally use a three flash system all handheld macros because I'm too lazy to use a tripod.
They really do have a great flash system, you might like their front ring mounted system if that is your style. (R1C1 or just R1)- Better plastics.  Yep, there is a difference in feel just like keyboards.
Many times it has to do with the way the plastic is ribbed, and many times it has to do with the plastic being metal mounted or plastic to plastic mounted.
- Lots of history in the Scientific field so they have lots of lenses and specialized equipment.  Think CSI taking photos of blood splatter.  Canon has the super long sports lenses - think Super Bowl.
Nikon has great legacy compatability, rare/unique gems, and great updated lenses. Canon has great updated lenses, HUGE selection of updated lenses, and has been in the onboard lens motor game very long time with great support. Nikon has a vast array of manual lenses at its disposal, Canon does not, but canon has very exotic new glass.

Plus if you want to piss people off you go around correcting them to say "KneeCone."  I don't do dat.  I don't tell them to use mechanical keyboards either.

I hate that =P

Offline clickclack

• * Maker
« Reply #48 on: Thu, 17 September 2009, 04:49:35 »
Quote from: InSanCen;118671
Well, each to their own. I do think that a lot of crap pictures have the "art" tag slapped on them.
Just like every other art form
I know that it is subjective, but wonky horizons on a landscape picture? I'm trying to remember where I saw this so I can link you up, but the price tag was way high, the picture underexposed (Not in a good way... very "grey"), and generally lacking in any form of technical competence whatsoever. Most others from the same person were in a similar vein.
No need to post the pic, we have all seen such stuff, haahaa. But in all honesty technical competence "craftsmanship" does not necessarily make it art either. Some art sucks, its ok! It is still "art", just crappy art =P (many times art is an intention, and not just a product)

Some people can get away with breaking the "rules" and score great pictures, but they are few and far between. When done well, I can't see it as a "lesser" art form than say painting.
YAY! That made me happy :) painting IS overrated though =P With my coworkers and colleagues we joke that whe people hear art they just think "painting" haahaa.
 Are my drawings "art"? No, I struggle to do a stick man. Are my pictures good? Well, they sell. Would I call myself an artist? Not by a long shot, but I don't shoot that kind of picture for the most part.
Dammit, I will call your work art if I want to! =P

Do I think some Photographers should be considered Artists? ...
.... I couldn't tell you if modern or abstract art is good, but I certainly don't think it's "less" of an art form than photography.

c'mon... "Stevie Wonder" said photography is overrated! BWUAHAHAHAAA! heeheeee, phew! I can't get over that.
Damn, I should really stop typing when I am sleepy...darn loopy I am!

Offline hyperlinked

« Reply #49 on: Thu, 17 September 2009, 06:33:31 »
Quote from: clickclack;118674
Do you mean "burst" when you say continuous mode? Because 5 is kinda low. Even then, that most likely won't hinder most people. And as a last resort you can always change quality setting to bring it up a bit.
I think the Nikon dials have "C" for continuous, but yeah "burst" or whatever any other name we want to call this horse...

Yeah 5 is low. I'm probably mis-rememberin'.

Anyway, but I did remember the performance charts that I was thinking of. Here are some ratings for how a Cannon 450D handles a variety of cards:
http://www.robgalbraith.com/bins/camera_multi_page.asp?cid=6007-9424

The difference between the write speed on a SanDisk Extreme III and a SanDisk Standard for RAW image storage is almost 12Mb/s! (14.1Mb vs. 2.6Mb).

To get the most performance for his buck, all he has to do is make sure he doesn't go below the SanDisk Ultra II lines, which are considerably cheaper than the Ultra III and IV lines.

BTW to anyone who's confused with this Ultra II, III, and IV rating stuff, it's just how SanDisk rates the different speeds of their memory cards. I don't know how the generic equivalent is expressed. I use SanDisk cards so that's how I reference 'em.

Quote from: clickclack;118669
Indeed it could be handy, especially at only a $5-$10 dollar increase (over bargain basement). But that is mostly a small increase when you are already at a "decent'' card.
I think we're in agreement. This is all probably a moot point anyway as it doesn't appear like you can even easily buy the low end Type I cards I was thinking of as the bargain level cards... so yeah, just buy what appears to be a good deal and don't worry about getting that fastest speed possible for that card.
« Last Edit: Thu, 17 September 2009, 06:40:10 by hyperlinked »
-