Author Topic: (Almost) any arcade or console game, online  (Read 2633 times)

Offline ander

• * Esteemed Elder
  • I type, therefore I am
(Almost) any arcade or console game, online
« on: Sun, 17 May 2015, 19:53:48 »
Hey guys,

I don't know if any of you are into this (certainly many of you would've been 10 or 15 years ago), but:

Game-oldies.com

You can play just about any classic arcade or console game right in your browser. Much easier than hunting down ROMs and figuring out how to use emulators. Whee! – A.
We are not chasing wildly after beauty with fear at our backs. – Natalie Goldberg

Offline morpheus

Re: (Almost) any arcade or console game, online
« Reply #1 on: Mon, 18 May 2015, 07:19:12 »
Wow, this is amazing.

Thanks for the link.

Offline 1391406

« Reply #2 on: Mon, 18 May 2015, 08:49:25 »
Awesome!
Unicomp Classic | Chicony KB-5181 (Monterey Blues) | IBM Model M (1391401) | IBM XT Model F | IBM AT Model F | Dell AT101W | 122-key IBM Model F
IBM Model M13 | Apple Extended Keyboard | Apple Extended Keyboard II | MTEK K104 | NTC KB-6251/2 | Realforce 87U | Realforce 104U | Type Heaven

Offline 1391406

« Reply #3 on: Mon, 18 May 2015, 09:24:56 »
There's also this.
« Last Edit: Mon, 18 May 2015, 10:40:12 by 1391406 »
Unicomp Classic | Chicony KB-5181 (Monterey Blues) | IBM Model M (1391401) | IBM XT Model F | IBM AT Model F | Dell AT101W | 122-key IBM Model F
IBM Model M13 | Apple Extended Keyboard | Apple Extended Keyboard II | MTEK K104 | NTC KB-6251/2 | Realforce 87U | Realforce 104U | Type Heaven

Offline absyrd

• CPT HYPE PADAWAN
« Reply #4 on: Mon, 18 May 2015, 09:30:06 »
How do they get away with this? No copyright or anything to shut them down with the quickness? I'm clueless.
My wife I a also push her button . But now she have her button push by a different men. So I buy a keyboard a mechanicale, she a reliable like a Fiat.

Offline azhdar

• Praise the AZERTY god
  • 65% Enlightened
« Reply #5 on: Mon, 18 May 2015, 09:32:39 »
How do they get away with this? No copyright or anything to shut them down with the quickness? I'm clueless.
Abandonware I suppose but some games seem to recent to be in this situation.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Abandonware
Azerty Propagandiste

Offline ApocalypseMaow

• Kitteh Overlord
  • Say WHAAT...
« Reply #6 on: Mon, 18 May 2015, 10:01:38 »
So much fun!!!

ChronoTrigger at work!!! GGWP  :))
« Last Edit: Mon, 18 May 2015, 10:13:37 by ApocalypseMaow »
{WTT}HoffNudes(WTS)BLK LightSaverV2         
"#baby****fangerz" -Vesper 2015

Offline absyrd

• CPT HYPE PADAWAN
« Reply #7 on: Mon, 18 May 2015, 10:21:35 »
So much fun!!!

ChronoTrigger at work!!! GGWP  :))

I can't how many times I've played Chrono, but nothing is stopping me from wanting to again in a browser.
My wife I a also push her button . But now she have her button push by a different men. So I buy a keyboard a mechanicale, she a reliable like a Fiat.

Offline Aer Fixus

• And now, back to lurking...
« Reply #8 on: Mon, 18 May 2015, 10:36:24 »
It's worth noting that it's mostly the popular systems from 3rd and 4th gen. And the PS1 emulation was pretty bad for me. Oddly, it doesn't have the 2600, but it has the 7800 and Lynx.

Nothing to just shrug off, but certainly not "any classic arcade game or console game."
               SOON: IN PROGRESS:

I lie all the time.... I really don't even like keyboards

Offline chyros

• a.k.a. Thomas
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • Hello and welcome.
« Reply #9 on: Mon, 18 May 2015, 13:18:37 »
This is fantastic! Thanks for the link!
Check my keyboard video reviews:

Offline 1391406

« Reply #10 on: Mon, 18 May 2015, 14:50:18 »
It's worth noting that it's mostly the popular systems from 3rd and 4th gen. And the PS1 emulation was pretty bad for me. Oddly, it doesn't have the 2600, but it has the 7800 and Lynx.

Nothing to just shrug off, but certainly not "any classic arcade game or console game."

Did you check out the link I posted to The Internet Archive Console Living Room? It has the 2600, 5200, and a lot of other (lesser known) consoles such as the Bandai Super Vision 8000 and Fairchild Channel F, among others, as well as a heap of arcade offerings.

Offline Aer Fixus

• And now, back to lurking...
« Reply #11 on: Mon, 18 May 2015, 14:59:40 »

Did you check out the link I posted to The Internet Archive Console Living Room? It has the 2600, 5200, and a lot of other (lesser known) consoles such as the Bandai Super Vision 8000 and Fairchild Channel F, among others, as well as a heap of arcade offerings.

Yes. I was referring to Game-oldies.com from the OP.
               SOON: IN PROGRESS:

I lie all the time.... I really don't even like keyboards

Offline False_Dmitry_II

« Reply #12 on: Mon, 18 May 2015, 17:38:13 »
I dunno, I guess I just prefer local control, ability to flip through all options, and then local storage and control of savegames and savestates.

I'm in the middle of Link's Awakening using BGB. Running it on a TV with a controller is better than something like a Super Game Boy ever was.
"Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety." - Ben Franklin (11 Nov. 1755)

Offline SolarFall

« Reply #13 on: Mon, 18 May 2015, 18:07:53 »
Holy carp they have MediEvil. ThankS! :thumb:

EDit: sound is messed up for me though it's scratchy and constantly cutting in and out.
« Last Edit: Mon, 18 May 2015, 18:24:41 by SolarFall »

Offline ander

• * Esteemed Elder
  • I type, therefore I am
« Reply #14 on: Mon, 18 May 2015, 21:20:58 »
Quote from: 1391406
There's also [Internet Archive Console Living Room]

Also great—thanks for that!

How do they get away with this? No copyright or anything...?

Many of the companies who developed these games (especially the arcade games) went out of business long ago. And many people feel that out-of-print games like these represent an important art form that must be preserved. If no one had made any efforts to keep them available, many of these highly creative efforts would've been lost in the landfills.

Videogames also represent important points in computing history. Except for things like scientific supercomputing, games have always put the highest demands on hardware. Game programmers were always finding ingenious ways to achieve more with the technology that was available.

Finally, these games are online for free—no one's making any profit from them. I think it'd be a rather pointlessly mean-spirited person who'd demand that no one have fun playing a historical game that could no longer be purchased.

Quote from: False_Dmitry_II
I dunno, I guess I just prefer local control, ability to flip through all options, and then local storage and control of savegames and savestates.

I agree. Geek-wise, there's no substitute for running things locally. But at the very least, this is an easy way to audition stuff before you go hunting for it.  ;?)

Quote from: SolarFall
Holy carp they have MediEvil. ThankS! ... EDit: sound is messed up for me though it's scratchy and constantly cutting in and out.

I knew it... As soon as I tell GH about it, their bandwidth is jammed. LOL

Actually, I'm getting audio okay. So I imagine it has something to do with your local bandwidth, the current demand on the server, and/or the number of "hops" the data must make between you and them.
« Last Edit: Mon, 18 May 2015, 21:33:19 by ander »
We are not chasing wildly after beauty with fear at our backs. – Natalie Goldberg

Offline 1391406

« Reply #15 on: Mon, 18 May 2015, 23:14:52 »
Quote from: SolarFall
Holy carp they have MediEvil. ThankS! ... EDit: sound is messed up for me though it's scratchy and constantly cutting in and out.

I knew it... As soon as I tell GH about it, their bandwidth is jammed. LOL

Actually, I'm getting audio okay. So I imagine it has something to do with your local bandwidth, the current demand on the server, and/or the number of "hops" the data must make between you and them.

He might be referring to the audio at the Internet Archive Console Living Room. The game selection is great, but the audio is scratchy and intermittent on most games.

Offline ander

• * Esteemed Elder
  • I type, therefore I am
« Reply #16 on: Mon, 18 May 2015, 23:53:38 »
He might be referring to the audio at the Internet Archive Console Living Room. The game selection is great, but the audio is scratchy and intermittent on most games.

Ah, okay. As it happens, too, some of these servers are way off in corners of the world where people aren't quite as concerned about stuff that's still technically under ©.  ;?)

BTW, in case you didn't know: When copyright law was instituted in the U.S. back in the 18th century, the original period was 14 years. It was never intended to prevent new works from becoming freely accessible parts of a country's culture, but to allow the creator and his beneficiaries a reasonable length of time to profit before that took place.

Over the years, corporations methodically used their political power to have the copyright period extended, to increase their profits.

Finally, in the late '90s, the Disney Company realized, to their horror, that Mickey Mouse, which was created in the 1920s, was about to go public domain. So they called their Washington lobbyists and had the law changed once again. Creative works now remain under copyright for 90 years after the creator's death. This means that nothing created during our lifetimes will become public domain till well after we die.

Make your own judgments.  :?|
« Last Edit: Mon, 18 May 2015, 23:55:49 by ander »

Offline SolarFall

« Reply #17 on: Tue, 19 May 2015, 02:54:05 »
I believe the sound issue is probably client side. Whatever api they are using (java?) and or whatever or however updated that protocol is on ones pc. I don't know, i'm a layman, but the entire game seemed to be downloaded to at least cache. It took some time to download. Certainly it's not "streaming" sitting at an already loaded screen. The audio files are typically puny for old games like that.