Author Topic: Wireless Mechanical Keyboard?  (Read 14082 times)

Offline roadblock2thesun

Wireless Mechanical Keyboard?
« on: Sun, 20 September 2009, 23:02:33 »
Hey all,

This is my first post here, came across the forum while attempting to design my own keyboard. Still working on that project, got a lot of inspiration from members photos here.

But the question I am asking in this post relates to wireless keyboards.

I have not yet come across any mechanical keyboards that have wireless interfaces. Have I not looked hard enough or do they truly not exist?

Thanks for the help.

RB

Offline zwmalone

« Reply #1 on: Sun, 20 September 2009, 23:04:38 »
There are bluetooth Filcos with brown cherrys.
Can't get enough of them ALPS

Offline itlnstln

« Reply #2 on: Mon, 21 September 2009, 08:19:21 »
Can you still get those from Japan? I am not sure they are still making those BT Filcos.

Offline Pettifogger

« Reply #3 on: Wed, 23 September 2009, 11:01:59 »
Well, Filco still makes the Bluetooth keyboards with the Japanese 108-key keyboard layout. Black and brown Cherries. No Blues. They weren't hard to find at all when I was there last March. I saw them for sale at Yodobashi and Bic Camera.

Offline roadblock2thesun

« Reply #4 on: Wed, 23 September 2009, 13:22:59 »
Great to hear there is SOMETHING, but anything I can get here in the states?

Quote from: Pettifogger;120027
Well, Filco still makes the Bluetooth keyboards with the Japanese 108-key keyboard layout. Black and brown Cherries. No Blues. They weren't hard to find at all when I was there last March. I saw them for sale at Yodobashi and Bic Camera.

Do those stores have websites?

Offline mech

« Reply #5 on: Wed, 23 September 2009, 14:19:57 »
Somebody should make a wired USB -> wireless USB mod kit.  Sure, it would be for advanced hackers who are comfortable stripping wires (at least) and (potentially) opening up cases and drilling, but it would be worth it.

While we're wishing, I also want a male/female PS/2 plug that auto-maps between QWERTY and Dvorak, so I can make any PS/2 keyboard hardware Dvorak.

BS: IBM Model M 1391401 (1989) & Lexmark-made IBM Model M from 1991
Cherry MX Blue: Das Keyboard II/G80
Black ALPS: Dell AT101W (2)

Offline rdjack21

« Reply #6 on: Wed, 23 September 2009, 16:39:56 »
There is one on Yahoo Japan right now. English layout with brown cherry switches at a buy it now price of 6000 yen or about $70 plus brokerage fee and shipping.

You can find it here

there is also a new one as well here but it is 11,990 yen before fees and shipping.

And a picture of the first one:

and

Diatec link for more info on the board here
Keyboards
Topre Capacitive: Realforce 87U, Realforce 86U, HHKB Pro 2, Topre MD01B0, Topre HE0100, Sun Short Type, OEM NEO CS (x2), NISSHO Electronics KB106DE
Buckling Spring: IBM Model M Space Saver (1291472), Unicomp Customizer x 2
Cherry Brown: Filco FKBN87M/EB, Compaq MX11800
Black Alps: ABS M1
Not so great boards Rare Spring over dome OKI, Sun rack keyboard

Trackballs - Trackman Wheel (3), Trackman marble (2)
Keyboards I still want to get - Happy Hacking Keyboard Pro 2 the White version, Realforce 23U number pad in black and maybe white, μTRON ergo board with Topre switches.
Previously owned - [size=0]SiiG MiniTouch (White Alps), Scorpius M10 (Blue Cherry), IBM Model M13[/size]

Offline itlnstln

« Reply #7 on: Wed, 23 September 2009, 16:45:58 »
A bit of trivia, for better or worse: Costar did not make the wireless Filco.  I think it was Datacomp, but there is a thread here that says who made it.  I wonder if this version has any logic issues like some of the Costars.

Offline rdh

« Reply #8 on: Wed, 23 September 2009, 21:06:51 »
If Diatec is still selling those, I betcha elitekeyboards.com could special-order 'em...

EDIT: I see it's marked "Discontinued".  Sorry, shoulda translated the page before posting.
« Last Edit: Wed, 23 September 2009, 21:12:39 by rdh »
at home: IBM "Space Saving" Model M
at work: Topre Realforce 87UKB55

Offline roadblock2thesun

« Reply #9 on: Wed, 23 September 2009, 21:19:18 »
Quote from: rdjack21;120133
There is one on Yahoo Japan right now. English layout with brown cherry switches at a buy it now price of 6000 yen or about $70 plus brokerage fee and shipping.

You can find it here

there is also a new one as well here but it is 11,990 yen before fees and shipping.

And a picture of the first one:
Show Image

and
Show Image

Diatec link for more info on the board here

You are awesome! Now I have to learn enough japanese to conduct a transaction :)

Offline rdh

« Reply #10 on: Wed, 23 September 2009, 21:38:31 »
Quote from: rdjack21;120133

You can find it here

Note: The first one is a FKBT104M/EB, so it has brown-stem (light tactile) Cherry switches, but the second one is a FKBT104ML/EB, meaning it has black-stem (linear) Cherrys.
at home: IBM "Space Saving" Model M
at work: Topre Realforce 87UKB55

Offline roadblock2thesun

« Reply #11 on: Wed, 23 September 2009, 22:05:40 »
Thanks for the advice...

I must be giving off "eau de noob" lol

Still not sure how I'm going to handle this one. I'd really like a wireless solution, but, i'd like something more compact (read: no numpad). And, at $70 plus shipping from japan, it'll be a hard sell...

Decisions decisions.

Offline rdjack21

« Reply #12 on: Wed, 23 September 2009, 23:47:24 »
Oh it is more than just shipping to get it from Japan. None on the sellers on Yahoo Japan will ship outside of Japan. So the only way to get one of these is to go through a buying service. So you have to pay quite a bit more for anything you get. My guess that 6,000 yen board would cost you around $130-$150 to your door after all the fees.
Keyboards
Topre Capacitive: Realforce 87U, Realforce 86U, HHKB Pro 2, Topre MD01B0, Topre HE0100, Sun Short Type, OEM NEO CS (x2), NISSHO Electronics KB106DE
Buckling Spring: IBM Model M Space Saver (1291472), Unicomp Customizer x 2
Cherry Brown: Filco FKBN87M/EB, Compaq MX11800
Black Alps: ABS M1
Not so great boards Rare Spring over dome OKI, Sun rack keyboard

Trackballs - Trackman Wheel (3), Trackman marble (2)
Keyboards I still want to get - Happy Hacking Keyboard Pro 2 the White version, Realforce 23U number pad in black and maybe white, μTRON ergo board with Topre switches.
Previously owned - [size=0]SiiG MiniTouch (White Alps), Scorpius M10 (Blue Cherry), IBM Model M13[/size]

Offline roadblock2thesun

« Reply #13 on: Thu, 24 September 2009, 11:17:22 »
thanks for the heads up, I think I'm going to have to pass on this then... why oh why isnt there an easier way... I just installed a keyboard tray at my desk, maybe that will make the wire less of a problem at home... its when I'm travelling that I'm concerned...

Offline Input Nirvana

• Master of the Calculated Risk
  • If I tell ya, I'll hafta kill ya
« Reply #14 on: Sun, 14 February 2010, 16:34:57 »
Resurrecting old threads seems to be a second nature for me.

I now need to make the Kinesis Contoured (and pointing device) into a wireless keyboard. I need some input into what I can use to make this happen. I'm not sure there is a retrofit item I can purchase, so I need to know what can be used to make it wireless while maintaining the features the keyboard has. I've re-read some previous threads. Is Webwits the most universal and plug-n-play? (see pic below)

It needs to work on Mac and PC.
Or any other ideas?

« Last Edit: Mon, 15 February 2010, 00:46:09 by input nirvana »
Kinesis Advantage cut into 2 halves | RollerMouse Free 2 | Apple Magic Trackpad | Colemak
Evil Screaming Flying Door Monkeys From Hell                     Proudly GeekWhacking since 2009
Things change, things stay the same                                        Thanks much, Smallfry  
I AM THE REAPER . . . BECAUSE I KILL IT
~retired from forum activities 2015~

Offline khokkanen

Resurrection
« Reply #15 on: Tue, 18 January 2011, 09:50:12 »
Xarmor U27

I have been in e-mail contact with them this past few days about this wireless mechanical keyboard. Apparently it comes out mid-March in Europe with a German and British layout. With 5 € extra you can get blank keycaps bundled with it. They do not recommend swapping large keycaps, as they have some sort of balancing mechanism which could be damaged.

The bundled mouse is a freebie, as the keyboard alone would cost just as much as with it. So they at least claim.

I for one will be getting one of these keyboards as soon as they come out. I've been waiting for a wireless mechanical for a while.
In my sights: Xarmor U9W
Currently use: Logitech PRO 2000, Logitech M705
Previously used: Das Keyboard II (blank keys), IBM Model M, Logitech LX5
Never ever going to use: anything by Microsoft. The OS I use only because of the games I play. Anything wired. I hate wires, cords and cables and suffer them only when no other options are available.

Offline Eclairz

« Reply #16 on: Tue, 18 January 2011, 10:50:27 »
who in europe will be selling these Xarmors? as I'm highly interested in a wireless mechanical. Although a white tenkeyless wireless would have been much more portable and better looking , it looks like my ideal keyboard, with a nano receiver and small case.
Lenovo ThinkPad TrackPoint Keyboard
RealForce 45g UK 88UB
FILCO Majestouch TenKeyPad

Offline khokkanen

« Reply #17 on: Tue, 18 January 2011, 11:39:53 »
Quote from: ripster;280405
... tricky nature of wireless means "we'll see". ...

Tricky nature? Meaning what? Haven't come across any problems with mine...
Never ever going to use: anything by Microsoft. The OS I use only because of the games I play. Anything wired. I hate wires, cords and cables and suffer them only when no other options are available.

Offline khokkanen

« Reply #18 on: Tue, 18 January 2011, 12:11:20 »
My wireless input devices. To be fair, I have only used Logitech products, and only one keyboard and one mouse at a time. I also have no other 2.4 GHz devices.

They have been perfectly fine with everything I've done, from writing to playing games. I've never had trouble I could readily tell was because the device was wireless. I've never noticed any delay or other trouble I've read some people complain about.

Offline Lanx

« Reply #19 on: Tue, 18 January 2011, 15:58:36 »
logitech 2.4 wireless and bt mice a+++, will buy again.

Offline Oqsy

« Reply #20 on: Thu, 27 January 2011, 19:39:25 »

This is the controller from a Rocketfish BT keyboard I plan to hack into a model m if feasible. If not then I may try Cherry.
[sigpic]Currently in use: Rosewill RK9000 and CH DT225[/sigpic]
"Private misfortunes make for public welfare."

Offline db_Iodine

« Reply #21 on: Fri, 28 January 2011, 10:50:14 »
Problems like that seem a bit weird. I've never had any problems with any of my wireless mice. I also had to try and use my Performance MX from the next room behind 2 walls (about 15 feet from the receiver), and it was tracking perfectly.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

woody

« Reply #22 on: Sat, 29 January 2011, 17:14:52 »
This picture looks like an Apple IIc keyboard.

Offline hyperq

« Reply #23 on: Mon, 15 August 2011, 11:18:42 »
Implanting a wireless board into a Filco is too much of a challenge for many people.  But the market for wireless mech keyboards does exist.  Filco is targeting niche markets anyway.  I'd really like to get a wireless Filco for my TV.
Office: Filco Majestouch 2 Brown (FKBN104M/EB2) | Logitech Wireless Trackball M570
Home: Thinkpad X200\'s built-in keyboard | Logitech Wireless Laser V550 Nano
HTPC: Logitech Wireless Keyboard K270 | Logitech Anywhere Mouse MX

Want to buy: A mechanical keyboard with following features.

Offline dreamingftw

« Reply #24 on: Mon, 15 August 2011, 12:04:54 »
I do remember seeing a wireless mechanical Xarmor keyboard.

Offline oayhyc

« Reply #25 on: Mon, 15 August 2011, 20:08:41 »
I am expecting a solar powered wireless mechanical keyboard.
Are you going to design and make one?

Offline hyperq

« Reply #26 on: Mon, 15 August 2011, 23:20:37 »
Hi Ripster,

Thanks for the links to those two threads.  Made a suggestion in one of the threads.
Office: Filco Majestouch 2 Brown (FKBN104M/EB2) | Logitech Wireless Trackball M570
Home: Thinkpad X200\'s built-in keyboard | Logitech Wireless Laser V550 Nano
HTPC: Logitech Wireless Keyboard K270 | Logitech Anywhere Mouse MX

Want to buy: A mechanical keyboard with following features.

Offline kbfreak

• * Commercial Vendor
« Reply #27 on: Sun, 29 April 2012, 23:16:40 »
This might interest you guys. KBtalKing (http://kbtalking.cool3c.com) from Taiwan will be releasing a multi-pairing bluetooth wireless mechanical keyboard (using I believe cherry browns initially) that also allows for USB wired connection. So basically you can use it on your main computer, while pair up to 10 BT devices (laptop, ipads, iphone, anroid devices, TV, etc.) and control any of them almost instantly and switch back. Imagine switching between any of those devices on demand and type/control any of the devices from the nice feel of a mechanical keyboard as the ultimate command center for everything!

Say you're grooving nicely with the mechanical KB action on the main PC, a text message comes in, instead of dropping what you're doing and having to pick up the phone and type on the damn phone's touchscreen, you just press a shortcut key and bam, you're typing to the android phone (or an ihpone or any other bt phone) using the awesome mechanical kb, and when done with the text msg, bam, you hit the key and switch back to work on whatever it was you were working on at your PC.

As far as I know, this does not exist in the market yet, but they are making them in the next 1-2 months and if we have enough pre-orders, we can get our hands on a batch of these in the US, since I met the KBtalKing guy (Yeager) during my last trip to Taiwan and can talk to him about it. I believe the price will be around $140+shipping within the USA.

Let me know who's interested to have one of these bad boys...I will try to post up more as they release more info. =)

Offline Human

« Reply #28 on: Sun, 29 April 2012, 23:30:12 »
Quote from: kbfreak;586058
This might interest you guys. KBtalKing (http://kbtalking.cool3c.com) from Taiwan will be releasing a multi-pairing bluetooth wireless mechanical keyboard (using I believe cherry browns initially) that also allows for USB wired connection. So basically you can use it on your main computer, while pair up to 10 BT devices (laptop, ipads, iphone, anroid devices, TV, etc.) and control any of them almost instantly and switch back. Imagine switching between any of those devices on demand and type/control any of the devices from the nice feel of a mechanical keyboard as the ultimate command center for everything!

Say you're grooving nicely with the mechanical KB action on the main PC, a text message comes in, instead of dropping what you're doing and having to pick up the phone and type on the damn phone's touchscreen, you just press a shortcut key and bam, you're typing to the android phone (or an ihpone or any other bt phone) using the awesome mechanical kb, and when done with the text msg, bam, you hit the key and switch back to work on whatever it was you were working on at your PC.

As far as I know, this does not exist in the market yet, but they are making them in the next 1-2 months and if we have enough pre-orders, we can get our hands on a batch of these in the US, since I met the KBtalKing guy (Yeager) during my last trip to Taiwan and can talk to him about it. I believe the price will be around $140+shipping within the USA.

Let me know who's interested to have one of these bad boys...I will try to post up more as they release more info. =)
You mean this?
http://kbtalking.cool3c.com/article/57722

Seriously, it looks a little fugly... I rather they make a wireless version of Pure/Race

Offline kbfreak

• * Commercial Vendor
« Reply #29 on: Mon, 30 April 2012, 00:00:12 »
Yeah that's the prelim post they did there before the actual product comes out. I seriously have to double check and see what keyboard they will build this on. It might be a little different still...but if they do use this black one, I guess I'll just have to think of it as a clean, professional looking, function-rich mechanical KB. =)

Offline Phil21

« Reply #30 on: Mon, 30 April 2012, 11:11:15 »
Posting late as well, but I recent picked up a wireless Filco from eBay a bit ago (overpaid, but hey! I have it!)

Honestly, I wouldn't buy again.  They are not the same build quality as the wired (costar) Filco's, and feel rather cheap and plastic.  They also seriously fail the flex test.  The Razer BWU I have seems extremely solidly built in comparison.

Granted, they are leaps and bounds better than non-mechs, but I was really hoping for a plain old Filco w/o a wire - not an entirely different board :)

Offline naisanza

Re: Wireless Mechanical Keyboard?
« Reply #31 on: Sat, 27 October 2012, 15:35:15 »

You mean this?
http://kbtalking.cool3c.com/article/57722

Seriously, it looks a little fugly... I rather they make a wireless version of Pure/Race

Seriously, ugly! I'd rather have a wireless Pure.
| HHKB2ProOtaku | KBCPokerOtaku(MXblue) | KBTPureOrangeBrown | Heatware

Offline ValerieV

« Reply #32 on: Sat, 27 October 2012, 18:48:56 »
I would sell ALL of my keyboards (with the exception of the HHKB) if i could get my hands on a wireless Filco. I wish the quality was good though. Maybe in the next year there will be one.  :(

Offline TheProfosist

• Custom Layouts Only!
« Reply #33 on: Sun, 28 October 2012, 01:58:04 »
I have one for my HTPC i believe its xarmor or something.

Offline MissMurd3r84

• In IRC wondering why Kmiller8 is yelling.
« Reply #34 on: Sun, 28 October 2012, 03:21:06 »
Wouldn't hold my breath waiting on the Filco to change, especially since I've not heard of them fixing it within the last 3 years since this thread was made.
KBC Poker - Red switches. Noppoo Choc Mini - Black switches. Leopold FC700R (White) - Blue switches. Ducky YOTD - Brown switches. Razer BW - Blue switches and rusted.

Offline laffindude

• ( ̽ ¬ ˳¬)
« Reply #35 on: Sun, 28 October 2012, 04:06:00 »
Wireless Filco is a Datacomp. Quality is... disappointing.

Offline trentva

« Reply #36 on: Tue, 06 November 2012, 08:47:18 »
wireless is no good imo

Offline Bry

« Reply #37 on: Tue, 06 November 2012, 10:25:25 »
The only wireless mech board I have ever heard of was the very early xarmor boards lol.

Edit: looks like they kept producing one actually -
http://www.amazon.com/XArmor-U9W-wireless-mechanical-keyboard/dp/B004S862FW

xarmor does not exist anymore though, afaik
« Last Edit: Tue, 06 November 2012, 10:27:50 by Bry »

last.fm | deviantART | SC2
Filco MJ2 Ninja - MX Red | Filco MJ2 Ninja - MX Brown | U9BLS - MX Brown

Offline Binge

• Island of Sandy Beaches
  • * Maker
  • With Gentle Time. I Feel Very Nice.
    • Hunger Work Studio
« Reply #38 on: Tue, 06 November 2012, 10:32:39 »
I am currently using the KBT pro.  I freaking love this wireless keyboard and it looks slick in real life.  Switching from my keyboard to my smart-phone is very very convenient.

The other wireless keyboard I'm excited to use is the PLUM 96.  Those should be here in a couple weeks as they were ordered through IMSTO.
60% keyboards, 100% of the time.

"What the hell Jimmy?!  It was ruined before you even put it up there with your decrepit fingers."