Author Topic: [GB] Matt3o's Amazing Topre PBT Spacebars  (Read 92251 times)

Offline Polymer

Re: [GB] Matt3o's Amazing Topre PBT Spacebars
« Reply #350 on: Fri, 09 October 2015, 06:18:04 »
It is a lot quieter than the ABS spacebar...and this is on multiple Topre keyboards so I'm pretty sure it can't be just me...

I did have one situation where it was louder but it was because it was completely misaligned...

Offline fanpeople

« Reply #351 on: Fri, 09 October 2015, 17:02:38 »
It is a lot quieter than the ABS spacebar...and this is on multiple Topre keyboards so I'm pretty sure it can't be just me...

I did have one situation where it was louder but it was because it was completely misaligned...

It might just be that the sound is different, so I am noticing it as it is not what I subconsciously expect from the keyboard. If you have tried it on multiple keyboards and reckon it's quieter than I am going to put it down as my mind playing tricks and not bother with the silencing mod. Theoretically after a while it should just seem normal like the ABS and not be noticeable.

Offline durainello

• Free cheap and fast International shipping solution to fellow Singaporean.
« Reply #352 on: Fri, 09 October 2015, 20:41:55 »
I gotten my brother who is totally not into keyboard to hear the difference. He too agreed that PBT is much louder and sounds different from the original spacebar.

Offline Bucake

« Reply #353 on: Fri, 09 October 2015, 21:34:45 »
I gotten my brother who is totally not into keyboard to hear the difference. He too agreed that PBT is much louder and sounds different from the original spacebar.

was this a secret at all..?
i wouldn't say 'much' louder, but yes it it more robust, and the sound reflects that.
did you really expect a PBT spacebar to sound the same like an ABS spacebar..?
IBM Model F XT // Realforce 87U 55g Type-S // HHKBP2 45g Type-S // KBT Pure Pro Cherry MX Red

Offline Bomble

« Reply #354 on: Fri, 09 October 2015, 22:12:34 »

was this a secret at all..?
i wouldn't say 'much' louder, but yes it it more robust, and the sound reflects that.
did you really expect a PBT spacebar to sound the same like an ABS spacebar..?

Mine's certainly louder too - but the ABS one sounded cheap and flimsy to me, even a bit clicky. The PBT one has a solid thud to it and is much more satisfying I find, even though it is louder.

Offline Polymer

« Reply #355 on: Fri, 09 October 2015, 23:29:15 »
How are you guys testing it?

If you use it normally, I've tested this with 3 keyboards with 6 different spacebars and now had 3 different people listen to it and the PBT one is a lot less quiet..Not even close...

The only time it is louder is if I press and completely let go of it to let it clang up to the top..in which case the PBT spacebar is a lot louder...Sometimes the way people test isn't realistic and I think that causes some of the misconception.       
« Last Edit: Sat, 10 October 2015, 02:26:42 by Polymer »

Offline Bomble

« Reply #356 on: Fri, 09 October 2015, 23:41:10 »

If you use it normally, I've tested this with 3 keyboards with 6 different spacebars and now had 3 different people listen to it and the PBT one                                             is a lot less quiet..Not even close...

The only time it is louder is if I press and completely let go of it to let it clang up to the top..in which case the PBT spacebar is a lot louder...Sometimes the way people test isn't realistic and I think that causes some of the misconception.       

Could be, I haven't sat down and really done the best possible side-by-side comparison that is possible, so you're probably right. But to me it still seems louder, just that the sound isn't as harsh as the ABS, it fits better with the rest of the board whether it is louder or softer.

Offline Belfong

• * Exalted Elder
« Reply #357 on: Sat, 10 October 2015, 01:32:59 »
Finally the space bar reached my workplace! I'll collect it on Monday! Can't wait to put it on!!!

Offline Polymer

« Reply #358 on: Sat, 10 October 2015, 04:01:55 »

If you use it normally, I've tested this with 3 keyboards with 6 different spacebars and now had 3 different people listen to it and the PBT one                                             is a lot less quiet..Not even close...

Could be, I haven't sat down and really done the best possible side-by-side comparison that is possible, so you're probably right. But to me it still seems louder, just that the sound isn't as harsh as the ABS, it fits better with the rest of the board whether it is louder or softer.

A rather non scientific test but..

Running a db meter on it..

Most of the PBT strikes in normal typing were under 60 decibels with some in the low 60s...the ABS strikes were 63-66 decibels...If I hold and release the spacebar freely in an attempt to make as much noise as possible...PBT space bar hit 70+ decibels...the ABS was more like 66-68.....

Only tested on a HHKB with the white PBT space bar and Black ABS space bar with the keys next to it removed. 

Offline raymogi

« Reply #359 on: Sat, 10 October 2015, 04:03:42 »
Finally the space bar reached my workplace! I'll collect it on Monday! Can't wait to put it on!!!

I was supposed to get mine today but the postman got lazy I guess.

Monday it is then!

edit: I take back my word. It's already at the reception waiting to be collected. It feels AMAZING! I'm lucky the one I receive is immaculate. Perfect color and no warping whatsoever.
« Last Edit: Sat, 10 October 2015, 05:25:44 by raymogi »
Please feed my addiction.

Offline dario

• obsessive–compulsive hardware slut
« Reply #360 on: Sat, 10 October 2015, 08:49:50 »
If anyone has a black spacebar to sell, I'm interested.  ;)

Offline Belfong

• * Exalted Elder
« Reply #361 on: Sat, 10 October 2015, 18:28:00 »
Try classifieds. Better luck there.

Offline admiralvorian

• DIY
« Reply #362 on: Mon, 12 October 2015, 11:49:23 »
My neighbor just 'found' my PBT space bar package!

me right now  :D :D :D
Darude Status:
☐ Not Sandstorm
☑ Sandstorm                                               wts wtt wtb

Offline romevi

• Formerly romevi
  • * Exalted Elder
« Reply #363 on: Mon, 12 October 2015, 12:11:54 »
My neighbor just 'found' my PBT space bar package!

me right now  :D :D :D
I love it when neighbors are friendly like that. But sometimes it can be weird. Someone got a misdelivered package of ours and called us to let us know. When we kindly asked how they got our phone number they said they just Googled us and found all our info.

Offline Belfong

• * Exalted Elder
« Reply #364 on: Fri, 16 October 2015, 06:42:40 »
Hmm, received my space  bars today. Great condition and nice to touch. Just wondering on the profile though. In the HHKB it seemed higher. Am i dreaming?

Offline Bucake

« Reply #365 on: Fri, 16 October 2015, 07:02:36 »
on my realforce, the fit was a bit tighter than the ABS bar and i had to push it down with a bit more force to get it all the way down.
i can tell that your spacebar on that picture sits slightly higher than the one on my realforce

edit:
it's already been confirmed below, but i had already made some pictures so i figured i might as well upload them:
More

the top of the bar is pretty much at the same height as the edges of the Alt keys
« Last Edit: Fri, 16 October 2015, 07:31:21 by Bucake »
IBM Model F XT // Realforce 87U 55g Type-S // HHKBP2 45g Type-S // KBT Pure Pro Cherry MX Red

Offline raymogi

« Reply #366 on: Fri, 16 October 2015, 07:16:03 »
Yeah make sure you pushed it all the way down hard. Mine was like that when I got it too.

Offline oscillik

• music podcasts
« Reply #367 on: Fri, 16 October 2015, 07:22:40 »
yep, can confirm, you have to put quite a bit of force to get it situated correctly. my initial fitting was lopsided, so had to press harder to get it mounted properly
Keymacs A620N-Rev.A with Alps SKCM Salmon switches

Offline Belfong

• * Exalted Elder
« Reply #368 on: Fri, 16 October 2015, 07:46:04 »
If you pressed so hard and it fit, will you have problem taking it off without dislodging the stem?

Offline Belfong

• * Exalted Elder
« Reply #369 on: Fri, 16 October 2015, 07:55:05 »
Ok, just got home and install the black space bar on the Realforce. The profile is ok here in the Realforce. I gotta try and press it down hard in the HHKB next week. I didn't have to press hard on the Realforce though.

But boy! PBT plastic feels so good. Love the feel and sound of the spacebar!

Offline Bucake

« Reply #370 on: Fri, 16 October 2015, 07:58:34 »
i can imagine that one spacebar has an easier fit than the other. most bars are slightly deformed/warped, which i guess is what decides how well it fits.

i doubt that removing it will cause issues, but i might give it a try later for science!
though, i'd be more worried about breaking the HHKB case while pushing it down.. :))

Offline oscillik

• music podcasts
« Reply #371 on: Fri, 16 October 2015, 09:34:37 »
If you pressed so hard and it fit, will you have problem taking it off without dislodging the stem?

it seems to be for the stabilisers, where the force is required. the actual switch stem is fine. when I put my spacebar on, it was initially 'lop-sided', but when more pressure was put on the opposing stabiliser to seat it correctly, all was well.
Keymacs A620N-Rev.A with Alps SKCM Salmon switches

Offline Belfong

• * Exalted Elder
« Reply #372 on: Fri, 16 October 2015, 10:22:11 »
I remember my JD40 have a tight stab such that when I tried to pry the space bar off, the stab almost get pulled apart. Scary thoughts!

Offline swimmingbird

• * Elevated Elder
  • keyset hoarder
« Reply #373 on: Fri, 16 October 2015, 10:29:31 »
I don't know if it's already been posted but what's the arrangement like with production, inventory and so forth

I ask because I haven't seen them being stocked anywhere properly but Massdrop has just run the RF 87u again with the PBT spacebars - do Massdrop have all the rights to them? Will they be available again separately? I need to find another black one for my HHKB...

Offline HoffmanMyster

• HOFF, smol MAN OF MYSTERY
  • * Senior Moderator
« Reply #374 on: Fri, 16 October 2015, 14:36:34 »
I don't know if it's already been posted but what's the arrangement like with production, inventory and so forth

I ask because I haven't seen them being stocked anywhere properly but Massdrop has just run the RF 87u again with the PBT spacebars - do Massdrop have all the rights to them? Will they be available again separately? I need to find another black one for my HHKB...

This was a one time thing AFAIK.  That said, I know Massdrop ordered a bunch of extras and I'm sure others did as well.  Shouldn't be too hard to find some extras. 

Offline swimmingbird

• * Elevated Elder
  • keyset hoarder
« Reply #375 on: Fri, 16 October 2015, 14:37:58 »

This was a one time thing AFAIK.  That said, I know Massdrop ordered a bunch of extras and I'm sure others did as well.  Shouldn't be too hard to find some extras.

Sweet  :)

I'm guessing though if they did a second run all the moulds and stuff are still around?

Offline HoffmanMyster

• HOFF, smol MAN OF MYSTERY
  • * Senior Moderator
« Reply #376 on: Fri, 16 October 2015, 14:43:51 »

Sweet  :)

I'm guessing though if they did a second run all the moulds and stuff are still around?

Yeah the molds are still around.  I don't know if Massdrop or Matt3o owns the rights to them.  And I don't know what it would take to have another run.  I know when this was being discussed, it was being called "the only chance at PBT Topre spacebars", and people were encouraged to order as if it was the only time it would be run (can't find a quote, so hopefully I'm not imagining that).  I'm not anticipating another run taking place.

Offline Elrick

• Hype Master
  • Keyboard Orgasmist
« Reply #377 on: Fri, 16 October 2015, 21:47:40 »
I know when this was being discussed, it was being called "the only chance at PBT Topre spacebars", and people were encouraged to order as if it was the only time it would be run (can't find a quote, so hopefully I'm not imagining that).  I'm not anticipating another run taking place.

Matt3o HATES doing re-runs, so you have to beg him for another do over if people want another bite of this PBT Spacer  8) .

Offline raymogi

« Reply #378 on: Fri, 16 October 2015, 21:54:22 »
I need moar! I took over someone's order but he only ordered 1 black and 1 white.

If only I can get more of the white ones :(

Offline ika

« Reply #379 on: Fri, 16 October 2015, 22:39:16 »
I need moar! I took over someone's order but he only ordered 1 black and 1 white.

If only I can get more of the white ones :(

You may see more when the Massdrop Realforce lands in a month or so, if you can wait until then. I know I have a set of four that I'll be letting go once that arrives.

Offline Belfong

• * Exalted Elder
« Reply #380 on: Tue, 20 October 2015, 00:47:50 »
Hmm, received my space  bars today. Great condition and nice to touch. Just wondering on the profile though. In the HHKB it seemed higher. Am i dreaming?
Show Image

Show Image

So I pushed harder and sure enough, the space bar is now seated properly and the profile matched the Alt key beside it.
Now I am super worried that I will not be able to pull this space bar off! It felt like it was nailed tight!

Offline raymogi

« Reply #381 on: Tue, 20 October 2015, 01:02:34 »
Show Image

Show Image

So I pushed harder and sure enough, the space bar is now seated properly and the profile matched the Alt key beside it.
Now I am super worried that I will not be able to pull this space bar off! It felt like it was nailed tight!

I once tried pulling it out and it made me my springs fly away and I almost lost it XD

It's definitely seated very snug compared to the stock spacebar.

Offline Belfong

• * Exalted Elder
« Reply #382 on: Tue, 20 October 2015, 01:06:22 »
I'm more worried about tearing out the stabiliser stem than anything! Looks like this space bar is there to stay for a long time.

Offline Air tree

• Better late than never ^-^
  • * Destiny Supporter
  • Formerly not demik
« Reply #383 on: Tue, 20 October 2015, 01:09:19 »
I cut my thumb on the edge of mine trying to pry it off at first.  :(

Offline raymogi

« Reply #384 on: Tue, 20 October 2015, 01:17:06 »
Lol yeah me too now that I think about it. Already hurt my thumb from the previous day silencing my RF then gotta deal with this bad boy.

Offline Bucake

« Reply #385 on: Tue, 20 October 2015, 02:04:52 »
I once tried pulling it out and it made me my springs fly away and I almost lost it XD

my spring already flew through my room when removing the original ABS bar.
i'll probably destroy my apartment trying to remove the PBT one..

and unfortunately i'm gonna have to do it soon, because i want to put this blue one on my incoming hhkb
i'm scared

Offline raymogi

« Reply #386 on: Tue, 20 October 2015, 02:09:02 »

my spring already flew through my room when removing the original ABS bar.
i'll probably destroy my apartment trying to remove the PBT one..

and unfortunately i'm gonna have to do it soon, because i want to put this blue one on my incoming hhkb
i'm scared

Do this: cover the whole keyboard with a towel while you're doing it. That way when the spring flies at least you know it's just gonna fall down :)

Offline Belfong

• * Exalted Elder
« Reply #387 on: Tue, 20 October 2015, 02:09:44 »
@Bucake - there is a guide in reddit on how to remove the space bar and it is about taking off the two adjacent Alt keys and then sliding both fingers on each side of the space bar and pulling it out with bare hands. I hope you have strong fingers.

Offline Elrick

• Hype Master
  • Keyboard Orgasmist
« Reply #388 on: Tue, 20 October 2015, 02:38:40 »
@Bucake - there is a guide in reddit on how to remove the space bar and it is about taking off the two adjacent Alt keys and then sliding both fingers on each side of the space bar and pulling it out with bare hands. I hope you have strong fingers.

Unbelievable, grown men (presuming) here on Geekhack having problems removing their Space bars due to cutting their little fingers and losing their keys/springs  :)) ?

Very easy to remove the Space bars off these babies, maybe my fingers/thumbs are huge but it's easy to pop it off without launching it into space.  Just remember that it's a simple keyboard and nothing more, it's not a G410 Transmission so it's very easy.

Offline fanpeople

« Reply #389 on: Tue, 20 October 2015, 02:46:40 »
Yeah it was pretty easy, this may help someone i guess. I use an inside strand from a bit of para-cord, just hook it under either the left or right side and pull up til it pops out of the stabilizer and then do the same for the other side. Just use your other hand to hold the space-bar down and it does not fly off.

Offline Belfong

• * Exalted Elder
« Reply #390 on: Tue, 20 October 2015, 03:14:23 »

Unbelievable, grown men (presuming) here on Geekhack having problems removing their Space bars due to cutting their little fingers and losing their keys/springs  :)) ?

Very easy to remove the Space bars off these babies, maybe my fingers/thumbs are huge but it's easy to pop it off without launching it into space.  Just remember that it's a simple keyboard and nothing more, it's not a G410 Transmission so it's very easy.
This is one of a kind PBT space bar we are talking about here, man! They are tough like ****. Even OG gangsta cry when removing them!

Offline Bucake

« Reply #391 on: Tue, 20 October 2015, 05:54:23 »
cheers guys, i got that PBT bar off without causing any damage, or losing the spring.
didn't even have to use all of my dynamite

Offline yomammary

« Reply #392 on: Tue, 20 October 2015, 07:59:56 »
cheers guys, i got that PBT bar off without causing any damage, or losing the spring.
didn't even have to use all of my dynamite
Hahaha good to know.
RF 87u 55g | Leeku 1800

Offline dario

• obsessive–compulsive hardware slut
« Reply #393 on: Tue, 20 October 2015, 12:49:36 »

If anyone has a black spacebar to sell, I'm interested.  ;)

Try classifieds. Better luck there.

I would if I could.  :))

Due to forum regulations one is entitled to post there only if his postcount is over 25.

So yeah... if anyone has a black sample to sell, I'm still interested.

As a matter of fact, I would even accept red, or blue, or any other color in a visible spectrum... except white.  :p

Who would have thought it would be so hard to get one after massdrop sale is over.
I somehow presumed there would be ****load of spare PBT spacebars around since minimum purchase quantity was 2, if I'm not mistaken.
« Last Edit: Tue, 20 October 2015, 14:57:53 by dario »

Offline jet2686

« Reply #394 on: Thu, 29 October 2015, 19:29:11 »
whats the deal with these space bars, are there any extras or all sold?

Offline jerue

• (Whenever that happens :P)
  • * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #395 on: Thu, 29 October 2015, 20:13:05 »
whats the deal with these space bars, are there any extras or all sold?

For now, all sold. But the main issue with the first run was actually getting the tooling to make PBT spacebars. Now that it exists...they may pop up from time to time.

Like with all group buys I have a tendency to under-order...so I have no extras :( , some others here might if they didn't give them away already.

Offline Butter

« Reply #396 on: Thu, 29 October 2015, 23:09:38 »
I wish I get more then one set.

Offline kekstee

« Reply #397 on: Fri, 30 October 2015, 13:24:53 »
I missed the GB but could aquire some extras from another user.

Taking it off was the first time I took a closer look at the original ABS spacebar and indeed, it looks like it fell straight out of the CAD application. This PBT version has a lot more traces of manufacturing. The only functional difference is the thighter fit on the stabs though. I have no warping to report. Texture and colour are great and the sound is a bit more satisfying than the stock one, like the other keys. I didn't measure actual volume though. For all I care it doesn't matter as long as it's also more pleasing. Couldn't be happier. :)

Offline jet2686

« Reply #398 on: Fri, 30 October 2015, 18:29:32 »
For now, all sold. But the main issue with the first run was actually getting the tooling to make PBT spacebars. Now that it exists...they may pop up from time to time.

Like with all group buys I have a tendency to under-order...so I have no extras :( , some others here might if they didn't give them away already.

Thanks for the reply, I'll have to give the classifieds a shot!

Offline cinnamoncider

• Thorpies are snappy
  • No clack; no life.
« Reply #399 on: Sun, 15 November 2015, 09:26:26 »
I just received mine. Not sure if this is normal, but the only issue that I see is that the PBT spacebar is not aligned with the super and alt key. It can only be noticed if looked really closely.

See the red highlight.