Author Topic: Looking to Build a Mechanical Keyboard  (Read 1374 times)

Offline kaseys

Looking to Build a Mechanical Keyboard
« on: Fri, 05 June 2015, 16:58:47 »
Hey I am completely new to this but am looking to find a kit or just build myself a mechanical keyboard for my boyfriend for his birthday. Can anyone offer any guidance or suggestions of where to start looking?

Offline KatzenKinder

• * Maker
Re: Looking to Build a Mechanical Keyboard
« Reply #1 on: Fri, 05 June 2015, 17:00:37 »
As long as you know what you're getting yourself into! Building a keyboard from scratch will certainly be a task, but there are a lot of resources out there to help you get started.

Matt3o has a great guide here : http://deskthority.net/workshop-f7/building-a-custom-keyboard-from-the-ground-up-t5761.html

Offline Rotaku

• Too Based
« Reply #2 on: Fri, 05 June 2015, 17:02:35 »
If you could get a hold of the recent infinity 60% the just ended on massdrop, and then learn how to solder, that would be a great way to go! The infinity kit is also nice because all you need to do is solder the switches, and program the layout you want and you're good to go! No need to solder diodes or resistors :) that, and it's a great kit for beginners due to the pricing and all the stuff you get with it
Not toooo active on GH anymore, if you need me, shoot me a PM on Reddit! /u/IchibanXD

Offline kaseys

« Reply #3 on: Fri, 05 June 2015, 17:06:15 »
Rotaku, I can solder but anything for beginners would be the way to go for me! Do you have any idea how I can get my hands on that kit?

Offline Rotaku

• Too Based
« Reply #4 on: Fri, 05 June 2015, 17:10:04 »
Rotaku, I can solder but anything for beginners would be the way to go for me! Do you have any idea how I can get my hands on that kit?
You can either keep an eye on the classifieds over here on geekhack till a kit pops up (also over at /r/mechmarket), or you can just wait another month or two till the infinity kit drops again on massdrop!
Not toooo active on GH anymore, if you need me, shoot me a PM on Reddit! /u/IchibanXD

Offline retrochick

• goodbye my wallet
« Reply #5 on: Fri, 05 June 2015, 17:42:12 »
I would highly recommend the SPRiT 60% custom keyboard. You can order it here:
https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=60887.0

This was my first custom keyboard and everything worked out great. The PCB is presoldered with diodes, resistors, etc. and you just have to insert stabilizers and solder in switches and LEDs(optional).

Cherry is love. Topre is life. ~raymogi

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #6 on: Sun, 07 June 2015, 01:32:42 »
Welcome to Geekhack!

Building a keyboard for someone is a fairly significant undertaking if you haven't done something like that before.  But with a little patience and care, it is quite doable.

If you do run into strife, you can have a look in the making stuff together section, where there are soldering guides and various build logs by other GH members.
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ