Author Topic: CAD software for case design?  (Read 3443 times)

Offline mkHeinzen

CAD software for case design?
« on: Fri, 17 July 2015, 09:24:11 »
Hi,

I took a look in the forums for a FAQ or resources that would cover this specific point but I haven't been successful. What are some good (preferably freeware) CAD tools for designing cases?

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
Re: CAD software for case design?
« Reply #1 on: Fri, 17 July 2015, 11:33:28 »
I highly recommend solidworks if you can get it. I don't use enough cad outside of work to justify the cost so I use Autodesk Inventor at home. Some people like FreeCAD but I prefer to use what the industry uses.

Offline vvp

« Reply #2 on: Fri, 17 July 2015, 15:46:35 »
Usable free options:
  • FreeCAD
  • OpenSCAD
  • Qcad (only 2D, linux version is free, windows version probably not)
A cheap (150€) usable commercial 3D CAD is Cubify Design.
If you are a student then you can get cheap options of other CADs (probably only for non-commercial use).

Offline Spopepro

« Reply #3 on: Fri, 17 July 2015, 16:32:20 »
Short answer: Nope. Nothing to recommend that is cheap and good.

Longer: FreeCad is the way to go, I think.

It's still under heavy development, so save early and save often.  Some of the features and capabilities aren't in the gui and you have to code them in python, but you aren't likely to need that kind of stuff.  It will do a just fine job of parametric modeling and exporting solids in the formats that people need for manufacturing.

It will, however, take you some time to learn the "parametric" way of creating solids, which wasn't intuitive at all for me.  Units will also drive you nuts in FreeCad (it accepts anything with a label, but won't always show the unit you want, like a radius of 1.0724 yds for a curve I made... yikes.) 

* cover2.step (105.59 kB - downloaded 108 times.)
105799-1

Offline vvp

« Reply #4 on: Fri, 17 July 2015, 20:16:57 »
It will do a just fine job of parametric modeling ...
This is an extremely optimistic way of looking at parametric modeling in FreeCAD. It hardly ever replays history properly because it does not have implemented edge/face naming. They have a ticket for it but it was not implemented in freecad-git 0.14.1.r1399.g40f8bb4-1 (from Fri 12 Jun 2015). You cannot even insert or delete a feature into/from the history. And because the naming is missing you have a high chance that even editing of a sketch in history will screw it up.

My characterization of FreeCAD parametric modeling would be .... well supported at about 25% ??? .... ok 50% at most!
Still better than nothing though. And it is free :)

Offline VoteForDavid

• Vote For David
« Reply #5 on: Fri, 17 July 2015, 22:00:21 »
OP if you aren't dead-set on using CAD, but just want to be able to make digital models, don't overlook Google's (Trimble's) Sketchup, which has a very functional free version with a time-limited trial of the Pro version built in.
Jesus loves you.

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #6 on: Fri, 17 July 2015, 22:05:47 »
Autodesk Inventor is free. Just tell them you're a student and put in an email. They apparently don't need a .edu email address.

Offline The_Beast

• * Maker
  • I like wood ಠ_๏
« Reply #7 on: Sat, 18 July 2015, 09:16:43 »
In reality, any 2d or 3d modeling program that can produce orthographic drawings. I would say that every shop is going to want a 2d ortho over a model. That's been the case ordering 1000's of parts for the place I work at. We rarely, if ever, send 3D models.

I personally like Solidworks the most, but there's no free version, even for students. A runner up would be AutoCAD 2d. But be aware, you really have to be able to visallize something from 3d in your mind to the 2d nature of AutoCAD (you can get a free student version). And lastly, AutoDesk Inventor. It's a pretty watered down Solidworks, but it's 3d and it's free for students.
Vendor Status: Sadly, not taking any orders/pre-orders at this time

Vendor Quick Links: | Vendor Forum | Hardwood Wrist Rests | Hardwood 60% Cases | Customer Gallery | Giveaway |

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #8 on: Sat, 18 July 2015, 09:18:56 »
I'm the opposite. My workplace is moving towards all 3d modeling
« Last Edit: Sat, 18 July 2015, 09:37:51 by CPTBadAss »

Offline The_Beast

• * Maker
  • I like wood ಠ_๏
« Reply #9 on: Sat, 18 July 2015, 09:43:25 »
I'm the opposite. My workplace is moving towards all 3d modeling

Everything we do is in 3D, but for quotes/parts getting made, we send the manufacture 2D drawings. Most of our stuff is one off/only one part gets made and we tend to deal with smaller manufactures/machine shops.
Vendor Status: Sadly, not taking any orders/pre-orders at this time

Vendor Quick Links: | Vendor Forum | Hardwood Wrist Rests | Hardwood 60% Cases | Customer Gallery | Giveaway |

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #10 on: Sat, 18 July 2015, 09:47:28 »
Yup we're the same way at the moment. 3D modeling -> 2D drawings. But we're doing a lot of initiatives to move into all 3D modeling starting this year.

Offline vvp

« Reply #11 on: Sat, 18 July 2015, 15:15:57 »
It is the same here. Things are modeled in 3D but machine shops want 2D drawings.