Author Topic: Hey there. I need help.  (Read 3692 times)

Offline omnipresent

Hey there. I need help.
« on: Thu, 06 August 2015, 19:52:40 »
Hello.

Recently, I discovered the Mechanical Keyboard. After watching some videos and reading some internet stuffs, I realized what a dark, cold world I had been living in. I knew I needed to bring the warmth of these wondrous keyboards into my life.

So, I have been searching for the perfect one for me. I found it in the Varmilo vb87m: https://www.massdrop.com/buy/varmilo-vb87m-bluetooth
It was glorious; it had a compact design, nice keycaps, floating keys, and was wireless. However, I thought the price was too high ($129.99 + shipping and tax) and besides, I didn't really want to wait for who knows how long for Massdrop. I was certain I could find something similar at a better price, but to no avail.

I found the Noppoo Lolita Spyder 87: http://www.amazon.com/Mechanical-Keyboard-Noppoo-Lolita-Spyder/dp/B00T1P6F1S/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1438906011&sr=8-3&keywords=floating+mechanical+keyboard but didn't really like the keycaps and it wasn't wireless. I would have needed to get custom keycaps which would have raised my cost substantially. I did not like.  :(

Upon doing further research, I realized that wireless mechanical keyboards isn't really a thing. So I have given up on that (unless there is a way to obtain almost the same result as the vb87m for ~$100??)

I was thinking I could buy just a board with switches (no keycaps) for relatively cheap and then buy the keycaps. But I couldn't find anything like that. I don't know if that type of thing is even available for purchase.

I'm at a bit of a loss, but am very glad that I have discovered this website because I am certain someone here can help me out.

So in the end, I guess what I am looking for is something that looks like the vb87m (floating keys and compact) with my own custom keys for $70-80. I actually think the Lolita might be a possibility if I can find a website that sells very customizable keycap sets on the cheaper side. But I am definitely open to achieving this result in any other way, especially if it is cheaper.

If you have read this whole thing, thank you for helping a keyboard noob out, and bless your soul. :thumb:

Offline intelli78

Re: Hey there. I need help.
« Reply #1 on: Thu, 06 August 2015, 20:03:21 »
Hey, welcome! :) Uhmm, maybe this isn't what you want to hear, but it sounds like you should just save up the extra $20-30 to get the board you really want. Why settle for a lesser substitute without wireless, just to save that amount of money? If you amortize that amount into the lifetime of the keyboard, it'll be a tiny, tiny amount per day.
Please consider carefully before you decide to comment, for Jesus.

Offline omnipresent

« Reply #2 on: Thu, 06 August 2015, 20:54:35 »
Hey, welcome! :) Uhmm, maybe this isn't what you want to hear, but it sounds like you should just save up the extra $20-30 to get the board you really want. Why settle for a lesser substitute without wireless, just to save that amount of money? If you amortize that amount into the lifetime of the keyboard, it'll be a tiny, tiny amount per day.

Thanks for the response!

Well, I'm planning on getting the wireless one when it becomes available on Massdrop since I cant find it anywhere else online. But I'm not sure how long that would take. So I was hoping that I might find some alternative in that time and not even have to worry about it.

Unless maybe we could do a group buy of it here? But I'm not sure how to organize it or who to talk to about it... Any guidance?

Offline njbair

• I love the Powerglove. It's so bad.
    • nickbair.net
« Reply #3 on: Thu, 06 August 2015, 21:33:52 »
We're seeing more and more efforts to add Bluetooth to custom keyboards. The modules are getting cheaper and cheaper, smaller and smaller. I imagine it won't be long before wireless options become more mainstream in this community.

Out of curiosity, what do you like about wireless? I've found them to be laggy, and I guess I don't move around enough for the wire to bother me.

Alpine Winter GB | My Personal TMK Firmware Repo
IBM Rubber Band "Floss" Mod | Click Modding Alps 101 | Flame-Polishing Cherry MX Stems
Review: hasu's USB to USB converter
My boards:
More
AEKII 60% | Alps64 HHKB | Ducky Shine 3, MX Blues | IBM Model M #1391401, Nov. 1990 | IBM SSK #1391472, Nov. 1987, screw modded, rubber-band modded | Noppoo EC108-Pro, 45g | Infinity 60% v2 Hacker, Matias Quiet Pros | Infinity 60% v2 Standard, MX Browns | Cherry G80-1800LPCEU-2, MX Blacks | Cherry G80-1813 (Dolch), MX Blues | Unicomp M-122, ANSI-modded | Unicomp M-122 (Unsaver mod in progress) | 2x Unitek K-258, White Alps | Apple boards (IIGS, AEKII) | Varmilo VA87MR, Gateron Blacks | Filco Zero TKL, Fukka White Alps | Planck, Gateron Browns | Monarch, click-modded Cream Alps

Offline omnipresent

« Reply #4 on: Thu, 06 August 2015, 21:52:37 »
Out of curiosity, what do you like about wireless? I've found them to be laggy, and I guess I don't move around enough for the wire to bother me.

I like the look of it. I'm trying to limit the visibility of wires at my desk, give it a minimalist look.

Offline njbair

• nickbair.net
« Reply #5 on: Thu, 06 August 2015, 22:00:00 »

I like the look of it. I'm trying to limit the visibility of wires at my desk, give it a minimalist look.

A lot of folks here have actually turned keyboard cables into something of an art form. Maybe something prettier than a bare wire would suit you. For example.

IBM Rubber Band "Floss" Mod | Click Modding Alps 101 | Flame-Polishing Cherry MX Stems
My boards:
More
AEKII 60% | Alps64 HHKB | Ducky Shine 3, MX Blues | IBM Model M #1391401, Nov. 1990 | IBM SSK #1391472, Nov. 1987, screw modded, rubber-band modded | Noppoo EC108-Pro, 45g | Infinity 60% v2 Hacker, Matias Quiet Pros | Infinity 60% v2 Standard, MX Browns | Cherry G80-1800LPCEU-2, MX Blacks | Cherry G80-1813 (Dolch), MX Blues | Unicomp M-122, ANSI-modded | Unicomp M-122 (Unsaver mod in progress) | 2x Unitek K-258, White Alps | Apple boards (IIGS, AEKII) | Varmilo VA87MR, Gateron Blacks | Filco Zero TKL, Fukka White Alps | Planck, Gateron Browns | Monarch, click-modded Cream Alps

Offline omnipresent

« Reply #6 on: Thu, 06 August 2015, 23:24:40 »
A lot of folks here have actually turned keyboard cables into something of an art form. Maybe something prettier than a bare wire would suit you. For example.
[/quote]

Those are actually awesome! Kinda makes me want to go wired now. So, I know there's the CM Quickfire Storm line that has removable USB cables, but I don't believe the Lolita Spyder in my OP does. So any idea of a keyboard with floating keys AND a removable USB?

Edit: Well I screwed up that quote... and I don't know how to fix it haha
« Last Edit: Thu, 06 August 2015, 23:28:08 by omnipresent »

Offline njbair

• nickbair.net
« Reply #7 on: Fri, 07 August 2015, 08:40:00 »
Those are actually awesome! Kinda makes me want to go wired now. So, I know there's the CM Quickfire Storm line that has removable USB cables, but I don't believe the Lolita Spyder in my OP does. So any idea of a keyboard with floating keys AND a removable USB?

Edit: Well I screwed up that quote... and I don't know how to fix it haha

Not aware of anything with floating keys close to that price range.

If you want floating keys and removable USB and are willing to spend, get a GON.

If you know how to solder (or willing to learn), and willing to take the risk of cutting your board's USB cable, get the Lolita Spyder and make your own fancy USB cable using a paracord sleeve.
« Last Edit: Sat, 08 August 2015, 16:08:39 by njbair »

My boards:
More

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #8 on: Sat, 08 August 2015, 06:33:35 »
Welcome to Geekhack!

I'd have to agree with intelli78 in the short term - you'll be better off saving up that extra little bit of money to get the keyboard you originally wanted.

I can vaguely remember when people were asking for a Bluetooth mechanical keyboard, and there weren't any.  Then one or two appeared on the market, and people were interested.  Then some add-on Bluetooth modules started appearing, and more people got interested.

So you can either wait and see what new technology arrives in the next few months, or try to purchase a Varmilo now - depends if we really want to save the few dollars, or enjoy a wireless keyboard sooner :)
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline njbair

• nickbair.net
« Reply #9 on: Sat, 08 August 2015, 16:12:09 »
I just came across this review thread for the Varmilo VA87MR, a floating-style TKL with removable USB cable. Read that review, it may be what you're looking for.

EDIT: It's on Massdrop right now, one day left. https://www.massdrop.com/buy/varmilo-va87mr?mode=guest_open
« Last Edit: Sat, 08 August 2015, 16:16:41 by njbair »

My boards:
More

Offline omnipresent

« Reply #10 on: Sat, 08 August 2015, 21:06:41 »
I just came across this review thread for the Varmilo VA87MR, a floating-style TKL with removable USB cable. Read that review, it may be what you're looking for.

EDIT: It's on Massdrop right now, one day left. https://www.massdrop.com/buy/varmilo-va87mr?mode=guest_open

Cool thanks. Definitely a possibility. I really love the front printed keycaps. Just curious if you know where I might be able to design a custom colored set like here at WASD except with that front print option and in PBT?

Offline njbair

• nickbair.net
« Reply #11 on: Sat, 08 August 2015, 21:14:43 »

Cool thanks. Definitely a possibility. I really love the front printed keycaps. Just curious if you know where I might be able to design a custom colored set like here at WASD except with that front print option and in PBT?

What colors are you looking for? You could try dyeing the stock caps, they're PBT. Lots of people have had good success with that. Here's a thread about dyeing Model M caps, which are also PBT.

My boards:
More

Offline omnipresent

« Reply #12 on: Sat, 08 August 2015, 21:28:54 »

What colors are you looking for? You could try dyeing the stock caps, they're PBT. Lots of people have had good success with that. Here's a thread about dyeing Model M caps, which are also PBT.
Well I was hoping to do an array of colors and don't really want to buy a bunch of different bottles of dye which I will use only a bit of and then never use again. So, while I suppose dyeing isn't out of the question, I think it would be easier to just buy them online if it's a possibility.

Also, thinking about the VA87MR, I have to choose a switch... is there much of a difference between cherry mx, gateron, greetech?

Offline njbair

• nickbair.net
« Reply #13 on: Sat, 08 August 2015, 21:57:03 »

Well I was hoping to do an array of colors and don't really want to buy a bunch of different bottles of dye which I will use only a bit of and then never use again. So, while I suppose dyeing isn't out of the question, I think it would be easier to just buy them online if it's a possibility.

Also, thinking about the VA87MR, I have to choose a switch... is there much of a difference between cherry mx, gateron, greetech?

Buying keycaps online is possible, but if you're looking for front-printed PBT in custom colors, it's just not going to happen. I think I've seen some front-printed sets on Massdrop before but they are normally black & white. You have to understand that it's not cost-effective for a keycap manufacturer to make a single set in your preferred colors. That's why group buys exist. I haven't seen a lot of PBT group buys around GeekHack lately, not sure what's been on Massdrop. But the good news is you've got time to decide on your caps, since it's easy to swap them out.

As far as switches, there's no way I can do that topic justice in a single paragraph. But the long and short of it is, Cherry Corp. is the original maker of MX switches, going back to the early days of the PC. Cherry MX switches are very good quality, though some people think their quality has waned over the years. Cherry's patent on the MX switch has long been expired, so several Chinese companies are making "copycat" switches nowadays. Gateron and Greetech are two of them. Gateron switches stand out because they seem to be on par with Cherry quality, and many people believe Gaterons feel better (smoother) than modern Cherrys. It's worth noting that Gateron switches haven't been around very long, so there's no way to know how long they'll last, but based on the apparent quality, they are likely to last a long time. One might also argue that new Cherry switches haven't been around long, and if Cherry has in fact changed their manufacturing processes then the same uncertainty exists for them. On this buy the Gaterons are $10 cheaper than Cherry.

I would recommend Gateron or Cherry. Which one of those two is up to you, but I don't think you can go wrong either way. Now you need to decide what color. Blues and greens are clicky. Browns and clears are tactile (they have a "bump" but no click sound). Reds and blacks are linear (no sound, no bump). Blues, browns, and reds have lighter springs than their counterparts, which means they're easier to push down. This is where opinion takes over. But it seems like the most popular options are blue, clear, and red. Red is generally considered a "gamer" switch, designed for rapid presses. But they are so light that they can be annoying to type on due to accidental presses. If you're not a big-time gamer, you probably want blue or clear, depending on whether you like the click sound.

Consider this a crash course in mechanical keyboards. Hopefully it helps you narrow down your options. Unfortunately you're short on time if you want to jump on that Varmilo, but I would reiterate that you don't have to worry about caps now. Whatever caps you decide on will work with a standard 87-key layout.

My boards:
More

Offline omnipresent

« Reply #14 on: Sat, 08 August 2015, 23:02:58 »

Buying keycaps online is possible, but if you're looking for front-printed PBT in custom colors, it's just not going to happen. I think I've seen some front-printed sets on Massdrop before but they are normally black & white. You have to understand that it's not cost-effective for a keycap manufacturer to make a single set in your preferred colors. That's why group buys exist. I haven't seen a lot of PBT group buys around GeekHack lately, not sure what's been on Massdrop. But the good news is you've got time to decide on your caps, since it's easy to swap them out.

As far as switches, there's no way I can do that topic justice in a single paragraph. But the long and short of it is, Cherry Corp. is the original maker of MX switches, going back to the early days of the PC. Cherry MX switches are very good quality, though some people think their quality has waned over the years. Cherry's patent on the MX switch has long been expired, so several Chinese companies are making "copycat" switches nowadays. Gateron and Greetech are two of them. Gateron switches stand out because they seem to be on par with Cherry quality, and many people believe Gaterons feel better (smoother) than modern Cherrys. It's worth noting that Gateron switches haven't been around very long, so there's no way to know how long they'll last, but based on the apparent quality, they are likely to last a long time. One might also argue that new Cherry switches haven't been around long, and if Cherry has in fact changed their manufacturing processes then the same uncertainty exists for them. On this buy the Gaterons are $10 cheaper than Cherry.

I would recommend Gateron or Cherry. Which one of those two is up to you, but I don't think you can go wrong either way. Now you need to decide what color. Blues and greens are clicky. Browns and clears are tactile (they have a "bump" but no click sound). Reds and blacks are linear (no sound, no bump). Blues, browns, and reds have lighter springs than their counterparts, which means they're easier to push down. This is where opinion takes over. But it seems like the most popular options are blue, clear, and red. Red is generally considered a "gamer" switch, designed for rapid presses. But they are so light that they can be annoying to type on due to accidental presses. If you're not a big-time gamer, you probably want blue or clear, depending on whether you like the click sound.

Consider this a crash course in mechanical keyboards. Hopefully it helps you narrow down your options. Unfortunately you're short on time if you want to jump on that Varmilo, but I would reiterate that you don't have to worry about caps now. Whatever caps you decide on will work with a standard 87-key layout.
Awesome! Thanks for that. also, if I got the varmilo on massdrop, do you know if it would be possible to color the board itself easily? I can't imagine dyeing would work because, ya know, water... But then if I wanted to pain it, wouldn't I end up having to color the switches themselves too?

Offline njbair

• nickbair.net
« Reply #15 on: Sat, 08 August 2015, 23:54:34 »

Awesome! Thanks for that. also, if I got the varmilo on massdrop, do you know if it would be possible to color the board itself easily? I can't imagine dyeing would work because, ya know, water... But then if I wanted to pain it, wouldn't I end up having to color the switches themselves too?

Unless you masked off all the switches, yes it would be hard to dye/paint the case. That's one of the downsides of the floating style keyboards. Unless you're willing to go through a lot of tedious work, you're probably stuck with black or white.

My boards:
More

Offline omnipresent

« Reply #16 on: Sun, 09 August 2015, 00:05:25 »
Hope you don't mind, I decided to kill the quoting. Think it got a little unruly  ;D

Anyway, back to the VB87M, any idea what the keycaps are or how to find out? I really love the white on gray and the profile on them.

Offline meow a cat

• Resistance is futile.
« Reply #17 on: Sun, 09 August 2015, 01:00:00 »
Hope you don't mind, I decided to kill the quoting. Think it got a little unruly  ;D

Anyway, back to the VB87M, any idea what the keycaps are or how to find out? I really love the white on gray and the profile on them.

Both sets are PBT, but one is dyesub, and the other is front pad printing.

Boards:
Silver 84-key KMAC LE, 62g lubed & stickered ergo-clears, GON NerD PCB, polycarbonate plate,MX lock/Phosphorglow IBM Model M SSK 1391472/White HHKB Pro 2, Hasu controller/WKL Phantom, 50g vintage blacks, MX lock
Leeku G80-1800 (build in progress)

Offline omnipresent

« Reply #18 on: Sun, 09 August 2015, 01:14:36 »

Any idea where I could by a set with the white on gray front-printed?

Offline meow a cat

• Resistance is futile.
« Reply #19 on: Sun, 09 August 2015, 01:54:17 »

Unfortunately, I'm not really sure.

Similar sets were run here: https://www1.massdrop.com/buy/varmilo-front-printed-keycaps

And Google tells me that there are possibly some Varmilo sets on Taobao.

Boards:
Silver 84-key KMAC LE, 62g lubed & stickered ergo-clears, GON NerD PCB, polycarbonate plate,MX lock/Phosphorglow IBM Model M SSK 1391472/White HHKB Pro 2, Hasu controller/WKL Phantom, 50g vintage blacks, MX lock
Leeku G80-1800 (build in progress)

Offline omnipresent

« Reply #20 on: Sun, 09 August 2015, 13:51:28 »

Unfortunately, I'm not really sure.

Similar sets were run here: https://www1.massdrop.com/buy/varmilo-front-printed-keycaps

And Google tells me that there are possibly some Varmilo sets on Taobao.

You mentioned taobao and I went looking and found these. I really like the gray with the side-engraved white legend. I've been trying to do this through an agent and have been having trouble (product isn't recognized by Bhiner, I was having trouble with others, and the rest don't accept Paypal). Any experience with/suggestions about this?