Author Topic: Attaching wires to a Model M membrane?  (Read 2681 times)

Offline njbair

• I love the Powerglove. It's so bad.
    • nickbair.net
Attaching wires to a Model M membrane?
« on: Sun, 09 August 2015, 14:46:35 »
I'm working on a project which may require me to add wires to a Model M membrane. Has anyone ever tried this? Any pointers?

I'm leaning towards using something like wire glue, and maybe using some scotch tape or hot glue to reinforce those connections.

Alpine Winter GB | My Personal TMK Firmware Repo
IBM Rubber Band "Floss" Mod | Click Modding Alps 101 | Flame-Polishing Cherry MX Stems
Review: hasu's USB to USB converter
My boards:
More
AEKII 60% | Alps64 HHKB | Ducky Shine 3, MX Blues | IBM Model M #1391401, Nov. 1990 | IBM SSK #1391472, Nov. 1987, screw modded, rubber-band modded | Noppoo EC108-Pro, 45g | Infinity 60% v2 Hacker, Matias Quiet Pros | Infinity 60% v2 Standard, MX Browns | Cherry G80-1800LPCEU-2, MX Blacks | Cherry G80-1813 (Dolch), MX Blues | Unicomp M-122, ANSI-modded | Unicomp M-122 (Unsaver mod in progress) | 2x Unitek K-258, White Alps | Apple boards (IIGS, AEKII) | Varmilo VA87MR, Gateron Blacks | Filco Zero TKL, Fukka White Alps | Planck, Gateron Browns | Monarch, click-modded Cream Alps

Offline Oobly

• * Esteemed Elder
Re: Attaching wires to a Model M membrane?
« Reply #1 on: Mon, 10 August 2015, 05:06:34 »
I used copper tape with the end folded under. Can be soldered onto. Worked for my 60% Model M conversion, but I laid out my columns / rows badly. Will rewire it when I find the time. It also still doesn't have a case...  But the membrane is connected nicely to the teensy using copper tape and magnet wire.
Buying more keycaps,
it really hacks my wallet,
but I must have them.

Offline njbair

• nickbair.net
« Reply #2 on: Mon, 10 August 2015, 08:42:09 »
I used copper tape with the end folded under. Can be soldered onto. Worked for my 60% Model M conversion, but I laid out my columns / rows badly. Will rewire it when I find the time. It also still doesn't have a case...  But the membrane is connected nicely to the teensy using copper tape and magnet wire.

This really intrigues me. Do you have a bulid log or any photos? My project is similar but I'm able to use the majority of the existing membrane so I'm not worried about rows/columns.

I'm not really sure what you mean when you say copper tape with the end folded under. Pics?

IBM Rubber Band "Floss" Mod | Click Modding Alps 101 | Flame-Polishing Cherry MX Stems
My boards:
More
AEKII 60% | Alps64 HHKB | Ducky Shine 3, MX Blues | IBM Model M #1391401, Nov. 1990 | IBM SSK #1391472, Nov. 1987, screw modded, rubber-band modded | Noppoo EC108-Pro, 45g | Infinity 60% v2 Hacker, Matias Quiet Pros | Infinity 60% v2 Standard, MX Browns | Cherry G80-1800LPCEU-2, MX Blacks | Cherry G80-1813 (Dolch), MX Blues | Unicomp M-122, ANSI-modded | Unicomp M-122 (Unsaver mod in progress) | 2x Unitek K-258, White Alps | Apple boards (IIGS, AEKII) | Varmilo VA87MR, Gateron Blacks | Filco Zero TKL, Fukka White Alps | Planck, Gateron Browns | Monarch, click-modded Cream Alps

Offline Oobly

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #3 on: Tue, 11 August 2015, 04:41:30 »
Doh! I just remembered that I replaced that (since I was worried about it not make good contact all the time) with this stuff: http://www.adafruit.com/product/1128

It has conductive adhesive so you don't need to fold the end under. Just cut to the right size, stick it on the trace on the membrane and solder your wire on.

No build log, but I think I have a photo or two somewhere. It's still an incomplete project (which may never get finished) so I didn't post anything about it.

P.S. actually found a pic on my phone, but will have to post it when I get home later.
Buying more keycaps,
but I must have them.

Offline njbair

• nickbair.net
« Reply #4 on: Tue, 11 August 2015, 08:56:29 »
Doh! I just remembered that I replaced that (since I was worried about it not make good contact all the time) with this stuff: http://www.adafruit.com/product/1128

It has conductive adhesive so you don't need to fold the end under. Just cut to the right size, stick it on the trace on the membrane and solder your wire on.

No build log, but I think I have a photo or two somewhere. It's still an incomplete project (which may never get finished) so I didn't post anything about it.

P.S. actually found a pic on my phone, but will have to post it when I get home later.

That looks perfect. Thanks!

My boards:
More

Offline lkong

« Reply #5 on: Tue, 11 August 2015, 13:02:37 »
I just finished my model M restoration.
Had some problem with the membrane.
I fixed that with copper tape and conductive paint.
http://imgur.com/a/tbUD4

Offline njbair

• nickbair.net
« Reply #6 on: Tue, 11 August 2015, 13:16:41 »
I just finished my model M restoration.
Had some problem with the membrane.
I fixed that with copper tape and conductive paint.
http://imgur.com/a/tbUD4
Show Image

That looks great! I bought some adhesive copper tape and a spool of magnet wire. Going to try adding solder pads with the tape, and soldering the magnet wire to those.

My boards:
More

Offline hasu

• @tmk
    • tmk keyboard firmware project
« Reply #7 on: Tue, 11 August 2015, 13:33:35 »

I also used similar copper tape with conductive adhisive but it didn't work for me without "needling". I had to stab with knife to get it connected electrically.

I remember 3M embossed copper tape worked well without the "needling".
http://www.digikey.com/catalog/en/partgroup/1245/12570

This pic shows "needled" tapes.

https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=29483.0

Offline njbair

• nickbair.net
« Reply #8 on: Tue, 11 August 2015, 13:54:36 »

I also used similar copper tape with conductive adhisive but it didn't work for me without "needling". I had to stab with knife to get it connected electrically.

I remember 3M embossed copper tape worked well without the "needling".
http://www.digikey.com/catalog/en/partgroup/1245/12570

This pic shows "needled" tapes.
Show Image

https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=29483.0

I'm wondering if the conductive adhesive is conductive enough for such a low-voltage application. I do have some electric paint that I can use to cover the ends of the tape, just to be sure.

My boards:
More

Offline Oobly

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #9 on: Fri, 14 August 2015, 05:22:37 »
I used the tape from Adafruit and it worked fine with a Teensy, but it may depend on what controller you're using (signal strength and sampling method).

I made sure to press it down firmly on the membrane, so it was really firmly attached and then soldered the wires on carefully.

108313-0
Buying more keycaps,
but I must have them.

Offline njbair

• nickbair.net
« Reply #10 on: Fri, 14 August 2015, 13:14:49 »
I used the tape from Adafruit and it worked fine with a Teensy, but it may depend on what controller you're using (signal strength and sampling method).

I made sure to press it down firmly on the membrane, so it was really firmly attached and then soldered the wires on carefully.

(Attachment Link)

I'd have to think if the 5V Teensy works, then the stock Model M controller will work as well. But I'll do some testing to be sure.

If the stock controller won't work I'm not really sure what I'll do, since the membrane has 29 pins which is way too much for the Teensy...

My boards:
More