Author Topic: Used my first Topre keyboard today...  (Read 4428 times)

Offline 1o57

• %10000100001
Used my first Topre keyboard today...
« on: Fri, 14 August 2015, 17:24:58 »
Ok, for those who love Topre, how long did the transition take for you?  I just started using a Topre keyboard today, for the first time ever...and it felt, for lack of a more eloquent way of describing it, like typing in oatmeal-

I'm going to stick with it for at least a week, but I'm wondering when I'll see the magic that everyone seems to think is in these switches....

Offline Acerk

• I pay attention to details!
Re: Used my first Topre keyboard today...
« Reply #1 on: Fri, 14 August 2015, 17:58:05 »
I loved it from the first touch. It just felt more sturdy to me than Cherry.

Offline BigEdMustapha

« Reply #2 on: Fri, 14 August 2015, 18:16:49 »
It's a beautiful, marshmallow-y feeling on the HHKB.  I like to switch between my ducky mini with blues and that, so I can get the click and the topre. Can't really pick a favorite

Offline Cicada88

« Reply #3 on: Fri, 14 August 2015, 18:21:33 »
I basically loved it right away after trying it (HHKB).

This was coming from MX Red which I also like, but I prefer Topre. 

Offline dante

« Reply #4 on: Fri, 14 August 2015, 18:28:56 »
Unless Topre releases a 104 55g they are dead to me.

Offline Hypersphere

« Reply #5 on: Fri, 14 August 2015, 18:44:28 »
Ok, for those who love Topre, how long did the transition take for you?  I just started using a Topre keyboard today, for the first time ever...and it felt, for lack of a more eloquent way of describing it, like typing in oatmeal-

I'm going to stick with it for at least a week, but I'm wondering when I'll see the magic that everyone seems to think is in these switches....
Which Topre board are you using?

My first was a Leopold FC660C. I liked the sound and feel of it right away, but the layout and keycaps were not to my liking. Along the way, I have tried the RF 87ub 45, RF 87ub 55, and HHKB Pro 2. I like the feel of the RF and the form factor and layout of the HHKB.

Currently, my favorites are the RF 87ub 55 and a modded HHKB with 55g domes and silencing rings.

I liked Topre right away. Based on my own experience, I would say that if you don't have an immediate liking for Topre, then look elsewhere. Other excellent switches (IMO) include IBM Model F and Matias Click.

Offline ApocalypseMaow

• Kitteh Overlord
  • Say WHAAT...
« Reply #6 on: Fri, 14 August 2015, 19:04:29 »
It was right away... someone said sturdy... That's how I felt about it too!!!
{WTT}HoffNudes(WTS)BLK LightSaverV2         
"#baby****fangerz" -Vesper 2015

Offline nubbinator

• Dabbler Supreme
  • * Maker
  • Model M "connoisseur"
« Reply #7 on: Fri, 14 August 2015, 19:13:54 »
I tried Realforce and the FC660C and thought both were awful.  Then I tried the HHKB and fell in love.

Offline jerue

• (Whenever that happens :P)
  • * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #8 on: Fri, 14 August 2015, 20:37:46 »
It took me just a couple of days, but more time you give it the merrier it will be. 55g was also my first Topre experience, had I gone with 45g I probably wouldn't have liked it as much.

The HHKB does feel snappier due to the plastic housing (though I love the sturdiness of the Realforce). I'll probably 55g mod mine one day. I like going back and forth for now.

Offline Polymer

« Reply #9 on: Fri, 14 August 2015, 21:10:54 »

Try it for more than a week...Force yourself to use it for longer than that..then in the middle, go back to your cherry keyboard for a bit (like a day or so) and then back to the Topre.....

IMO, the variable is the least "pleasing" as far as overall Topre experience..but it is just easy on the hands..you just don't realize that until you've used it for longer...

Offline U47

« Reply #10 on: Fri, 14 August 2015, 22:41:02 »
I bought a Realforce 87U and enjoyed it — wouldn't say I loved it. About two weeks later, I saw an ad for another Realforce 87U in Kijiji of all places. It was very lightly used. Picked it up for $100. When I got home any typed on it, it was way more satisfying than the other one. Turns out it has the silenced switches on it (SE170S). It feels just perfect to me. Prefer it to my MX Clears and Browns, but it's close to Reds, which are my favourite MX switch.

To each their own!

Offline derb2k2

• Something of a Topre ****..
« Reply #11 on: Sat, 15 August 2015, 07:34:20 »
yep. I'd say in a weeks time you'll be fawning over it as well. That's how long it took me with my first Topre experience. At first I was like, "did I really spend all this money on this switch and keyboard?" but you'll soon see that it is a superior feel (imo) to MX switches which I had used for a time.

For normal typing, there's no better feel but for gaming, I don't usually recommend topre.

:thumb:
HHKB | RF 45UB | Novatouch | Poker II Blue | QFR Browns | Rosewill RK-9000RE

Offline absyrd

• CPT HYPE PADAWAN
« Reply #12 on: Sat, 15 August 2015, 08:16:47 »
I tried Realforce and the FC660C and thought both were awful.  Then I tried the HHKB and fell in love.

Similar to my experience.

I think it has to do with the plastic case mount... same reason I like PCB mount MX switches more than having a plate.
My wife I a also push her button . But now she have her button push by a different men. So I buy a keyboard a mechanicale, she a reliable like a Fiat.

Offline jamster

« Reply #13 on: Sat, 15 August 2015, 09:56:12 »
Tried a Realforce 45g and within about 15 seconds realised that it's the switch that I've been looking for after trying every bloody Cherry MX under the sun. 45g was too light, so I'm waiting for EK to get a load of 55g boards in, though the idea of trying a Royal Kludge (despite the name) is also appealing.

Offline alienman82

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #14 on: Sat, 15 August 2015, 10:00:05 »
removed.
« Last Edit: Thu, 01 March 2018, 17:15:12 by alienman82 »

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #15 on: Sun, 16 August 2015, 05:01:14 »
Which Topre keyboard did you get?

I got an HHKB, and it took a little while because I was struggling with the layout for a long time (using a conventional ANSI TKL at work all day, then HHKB for a couple of hours at home at night).

Now my HHKB is my default keyboard all week at home (and usually an SSK during the weekend).
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline Remenition

• * Destiny Supporter
  • Cooler than your average kid ;)
« Reply #16 on: Tue, 18 August 2015, 10:58:04 »
I fell in love instantly. I'm typing at work with my Pok3r longing to go home and type on my Realforce. The keys kind of feel hollow, and have that thunk sound that feels so nice

Offline romevi

• Formerly romevi
  • * Exalted Elder
« Reply #17 on: Tue, 18 August 2015, 11:01:15 »
I didn't fall in love with instantly. In fact, I was a bit let down at first.

But after a few days I'm freaking loving it. Is it absolutely amazing that I felt okay paying $215 for it? Not really; I personally would price it at $150 or $175 max, but it's definitely a good keyboard.

Offline temporal

• gear for the gear god
« Reply #18 on: Tue, 18 August 2015, 11:11:35 »
First Topre - HHKB

Definitely took a day or so. Not impressed at first but then you get into a tempo and that's where the switch really shines.

Offline saturnotaku

« Reply #19 on: Tue, 18 August 2015, 11:47:53 »
I go between a HHKB Type-S at work at a Razer BlackWidow (Cherry MX brown clone) at home pretty much every day. Both keyboards are rated at 45g actuation, though the BlackWidow feels considerably heavier than that. That's not a big deal to me. The real "transition" was going back and forth between the layouts because the HHKB is so different. It took a couple weeks, but it really wasn't a big deal because the Type-S feels so glorious.

Offline OnlyOnceKB

« Reply #20 on: Tue, 18 August 2015, 12:48:51 »
im still curious to get one and see how these feels myself.

Offline TopreFan333

« Reply #21 on: Tue, 18 August 2015, 14:30:20 »
My experience with mechanical keyboards was having an old Apple Extended Keyboard II then buying a KUL with Browns. Finally buckled and got an HHKB and was actually a little underwhelmed as well at first. Although they're supposed to be the same actuation force (45g) as the brown switches, they felt stiffer and that threw me off. And otherwise the feeling was just very different and took some getting used to. 

But I stuck with it, and it *definitely* grew on me. My fingers started to really appreciate the fact that the resistance is all at the very top and falls away as the key descends, and the Cherry switches just felt "mechanical" in the sense that I could feel the whole mechanism operating. The smoothness and precision feeling of Topre won over eventually and now I'm getting rid of the KUL, as nice and solid a keyboard it is otherwise, I'm just not a fan of the sloppy (to me) feeling switches.

Offline Defect

• I collect keyboards and keyboard accessories
« Reply #22 on: Tue, 18 August 2015, 15:08:41 »
Realforce 55g and Real force Variable.

Been a couple years and I still don't get the hype.  Tried lubing and silencing...better but still don't get why they cost so much.

Not pictured: KeyCool 84 [MX Red] | Focus 2001 [Complicated White Alps]
Endgame Board | Defect's Watermelon Board Build Doc

Offline Herothereu

« Reply #23 on: Tue, 18 August 2015, 16:55:33 »
Instant NovaTouch love.

Offline Macsmasher

« Reply #24 on: Tue, 18 August 2015, 20:48:09 »
I go between a HHKB Type-S at work at a Razer BlackWidow (Cherry MX brown clone) at home pretty much every day. Both keyboards are rated at 45g actuation, though the BlackWidow feels considerably heavier than that. That's not a big deal to me. The real "transition" was going back and forth between the layouts because the HHKB is so different. It took a couple weeks, but it really wasn't a big deal because the Type-S feels so glorious.

Exactly. I go between my HHKB and variable silent. The 55g 87U lives on the shelf next to my desk. I don't honestly understand the Topre 55g appeal. I must be retarded or something.

Offline pr0ximity

« Reply #25 on: Tue, 18 August 2015, 21:13:05 »
Once I did a day's worth of work on my Realforce I decided it was a pretty excellent board.
| Flickr | KMAC 1.2 | Koala | GSKT-00-Z | GSKT-00-AEK | GON NerD60 | Jane V2 CE | Whale | J80S | Ibis | Pro2 | Pro1 | 356mini | 356CL DGE | G80-5000 HAMDE | IBM 1390120 | IBM F AT | IBM F122 | IBM 3101 | Zenith Z-150

Offline apolotary

• Кто-нибудь купите мои клавиатуры ;__;
« Reply #26 on: Tue, 18 August 2015, 23:32:23 »
Loved the smooth feel of my FC660C at first, then things went oatmeal-y

Offline astromazzy

« Reply #27 on: Wed, 19 August 2015, 00:46:47 »
I have had my FC660C for about a week now, and while I'm enjoying it I'm missing the crisper feeling I get from MX switches. That said, Cherry is starting to feel gritty to me now.
The height of the actuation point is something I'm having trouble getting used to though; too often when I think I'm hitting a button once and then resting on the key, I've left the key down too low and I've done something horrendous.
Topre 45's also feel a whole lot heavier to me than Cherry MX browns. I don't know if that's just in my head, but my lady forearms are certainly telling me about it.

After a week I'm at the stage where I don't want to part with the board, but I think I need to have some more time to appreciate the feel of the switches.

Offline pr0ximity

« Reply #28 on: Wed, 19 August 2015, 05:45:18 »
Personally the thing I appreciate most about my 55g domes is how they rebound. Because of the way the dome collapses suddenly, it also rebounds suddenly once it reaches a critical point, and forces my finger upwards slightly. It's not something you can get with a spring in most situations, though Clear and Korean MX springs seem to be the closest due to their steeper force curves towards the bottom. But they're still nothing like a crisp dome popping back into place.
| Flickr | KMAC 1.2 | Koala | GSKT-00-Z | GSKT-00-AEK | GON NerD60 | Jane V2 CE | Whale | J80S | Ibis | Pro2 | Pro1 | 356mini | 356CL DGE | G80-5000 HAMDE | IBM 1390120 | IBM F AT | IBM F122 | IBM 3101 | Zenith Z-150

Offline Oobly

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #29 on: Wed, 19 August 2015, 06:05:07 »
One man's marshmallow is another man's oatmeal.

55g has more "pop" to it than 45g, and a plate and solid case also help reduce the "mush". This is why I don't like the HHKB as much as the FC660C as much as the 55g Uniform Realforce. But they're still not as nice as my 62g, trampoline and latex modded, stickered, plate mounted ErgoClears in an aluminium case.
Buying more keycaps,
it really hacks my wallet,
but I must have them.

Offline yomammary

« Reply #30 on: Wed, 19 August 2015, 07:12:32 »
But they're still not as nice as my 62g, trampoline and latex modded, stickered, plate mounted ErgoClears in an aluminium case.
Did a tibetan monk bless it too?
RF 87u 55g | Leeku 1800

Offline Oobly

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #31 on: Wed, 19 August 2015, 08:04:09 »
But they're still not as nice as my 62g, trampoline and latex modded, stickered, plate mounted ErgoClears in an aluminium case.

EEK! I knew there was something I forgot to do.

Also, lubed... with SA profile keycaps and a braided cable, white LEDs and a programmable PCB... urm... All essential for the good feeling, of course. Actually, the lube, SA keycaps and all previously mentioned items DO help, the last 3 are just nice to have.

I'd find an FC660C with 55g domes and silenced Novatouch sliders acceptable to use, but the cost would be ridiculous and it still wouldn't feel as nice.
Buying more keycaps,
it really hacks my wallet,
but I must have them.

Offline trees

• I like bagels.
« Reply #32 on: Wed, 19 August 2015, 08:22:20 »
I thought that I loved Topre. Although, now after a bit of use I'm not sure. It feels kind of mushy and I'm beginning to miss MX switches. I think I'm going to be selling my FC660C and get something with browns.
B.Face HHKB - B.mini - Black/Purple Custom

Offline yomammary

« Reply #33 on: Wed, 19 August 2015, 12:33:30 »

EEK! I knew there was something I forgot to do.

Also, lubed... with SA profile keycaps and a braided cable, white LEDs and a programmable PCB... urm... All essential for the good feeling, of course. Actually, the lube, SA keycaps and all previously mentioned items DO help, the last 3 are just nice to have.
Respect :thumb:
RF 87u 55g | Leeku 1800

Offline Mooksie

« Reply #34 on: Wed, 19 August 2015, 13:39:16 »
At first I was underwhelmed... Then I tried to use an MX board. Topre is my favorite of all the available switches.
we use up all the cupholders during our furious love making sessions

Offline zars15

« Reply #35 on: Thu, 20 August 2015, 14:00:11 »
I've now switched to gateron blacks, and they are very buttery and satisfying once you get used to them. Now, I got curious how they compare to topres, that is, feel wise.

If anyone has tried both, please let me know!

Offline maverick72

« Reply #36 on: Thu, 20 August 2015, 15:00:04 »
Went from mx blues with that click action to a HHKB type-s .... Heaven for my fingers.  Heaven for my wife's ears :)
Work: HHKB Pro 2 Type-S, printed keycaps
Home: HHKB Pro 2 Black, non-printed keycaps
Benchwarmer: FILCO Majestouch TKL MX Blues with blue WYSE red ESC

Offline dan002

« Reply #37 on: Thu, 20 August 2015, 17:34:43 »
Referring to the HHKB it took about one month to adjust to the placement of the Control key. For vim / tmux user like myself it becomes a useful feature.
Peace, love and keyboards.

Offline Polymer

« Reply #38 on: Thu, 20 August 2015, 23:49:03 »
The ctrl and backspace key took days to get used to if that...it was switching back and forth that took awhile for me (and the main reason I almost gave up on ti).  Arrows took a bit longer...

Offline eternalmetal

« Reply #39 on: Sat, 22 August 2015, 23:16:55 »
For me, I pretty much knew immediately that I liked the way topre felt (55g).  After using mx blues for a couple of months, I realized that I was still mashing keys a bit when I typed and it was messing with my typing rhythm.  It was definitely an improvement over the rubber dome keyboards ive used for the past 10-15 years, but I guess in the end I was used to typing with more force.  I found myself longing for a softer feel, a board similar in feel to a rubber dome, but with more tactility and less mushiness.  The Realforce immediately felt like the keyboard I hoped it would, so I dont really understand the general topre advice that you need to type on it for a couple of weeks before you really appreciate it.

I think the main problem with people not liking Topre immediately is because of the negative bias towards rubber dome boards that the mechanical keyboard community has in general.  I may have hated my rubber dome board, but it wasnt particularly because it had rubber domes.  Actually I liked how typing on a rubber dome was soft to bottom out on, but I didnt like how indistinct the key press was.  So my attitude going into trying Topre was more about finding a good rubber dome rather than something that felt like cherry mx.  And it definitely delivered.  The keys are rigid and have very little wobble to them, and each key press is distinct, offers feedback, and is soft (but not mushy).  It was definitely love at first sight.

Offline fuzzybaffy

« Reply #40 on: Sun, 23 August 2015, 19:06:48 »
I waffle back and forth between my Filco with MX Browns and a Topre 87U.

But I will say, though, that when I tried out the Topre for the very first time, I liked it a lot. I was not disappointed at all. The switches are just so much smoother and less wobbly than MX switches. People can say all they want about rubber domes, but there is no denying, that the key stems on Topre switches are smoother and less wobbly.

I think the main problem with people not liking Topre immediately is because of the negative bias towards rubber dome boards that the mechanical keyboard community has in general.

Right, that's kind of how it appears, to me, too. People want to feel "special" for liking mechanical keyboards, so they automatically bash anything that has rubber in it. But when I view these keyboards holistically, the Topre has a lot of great things going for it (the smoother switches, and the fact that they come with dyesub PBT's (which makes the boards a much better deal than people make them out to be - a Filco with a set of dyesub PBT's will cost just as much as a Topre)), that for some reason, people just either not notice at all, or outright dismiss.

As of right now, I'm using a Filco with MX Browns, but this thread definitely has me missing the Topre. I seem to type more accurately, therefore more quickly, on the Topre, as well - these MX switches are comparatively finnicky in that you have to strike the switch at a particular angle in order for the keys to go down properly. But Topre switches are built so much better that you can strike them at any angle and still have the switch go down. But then again, bonus points go to the MX Brown switches in that they're more "fun" and mechanical to type on. I may go back to the Topre after all this, who knows. FWIW.
« Last Edit: Sun, 23 August 2015, 19:12:17 by fuzzybaffy »

Offline TopreFan333

« Reply #41 on: Sun, 23 August 2015, 21:31:01 »
People want to feel "special" for liking mechanical keyboards, so they automatically bash anything that has rubber in it.

Yep. People love to take the term "mechanical" literally, as if that in itself is some kind of selling point instead of a mostly-irrelevant term. I'm pretty convinced that if a switch came along that had precisely the same feel and precision as a Topre switch, but was made with some combination of mechanical parts, a bunch of people here would suddenly love it and wouldn't even THINK to compare it to a cheap OEM keyboard.

I could personally give a crap whether there's a rubber dome, plastic and metal parts, or a tiny elvin spirit inside my keyboard as long as it works well. 
« Last Edit: Sun, 23 August 2015, 21:34:11 by dchadwick »

Offline apolotary

• Кто-нибудь купите мои клавиатуры ;__;
« Reply #42 on: Sun, 23 August 2015, 21:33:29 »
Bought a used Realforce 86u for cheap today. Was planning to resell it, fell in love instead.