Author Topic: Lack of stickers  (Read 3650 times)

Offline KHAANNN

Lack of stickers
« on: Tue, 22 September 2015, 20:14:05 »
I just completed a keyboard build, skipped stickers this time, as it seemed like they don't contribute much (I 3d-print my stickers, I could have just printed some more or use the ones I already have, why didn't I? ...)

I feel like I built a car and didn't install gaskets

I skipped them as I verified they don't prevent side-wobble, when you put switches on square cutouts, the switch can't wobble sideways, yet I obviously didn't check for vertical wobble, it turns out, they mainly prevent the vertical wobbling(duh, since the switch top has front and bottom sections that lets the stem slide, it mainly provides front/back support, the wobble happens on this axis)

The switch enclosure also sometimes produces a small click sound during this back and forth vertical movement, as the switch top re-seats

I'm sure practically the difference is small, most probably not noticeable as this mini-click/re-alignment doesn't occur when typing, yet the moral of this story is, better safe than sorry, install your stickers

I guess I might re-build at a future point in time, install those plastic gaskets, maybe if the switches gets loose in future
Endgame | 1.25 Cmd for GMK Sets Please | Or Just 1.25 Blanks Like The Good Old Days

Offline Sifo

• Illustrious
Re: Lack of stickers
« Reply #1 on: Tue, 22 September 2015, 23:22:59 »
I rebuilt my boards just to remove the stickers cuz I swear they were causing my switches to feel bad...
I love Elzy

Offline hwood34

• underwater squad
  • * Exalted Elder
  • #1 CL stan
    • Keyboard Illuminati
« Reply #2 on: Tue, 22 September 2015, 23:29:42 »
stickers are useless and in no way worth the silly amount of time it takes to put them on
IV KWK Info Thread & KBK Info Thread IV (out of date)

Old GBs: Gateron Switches (2015) | CF-LX R1 (2015) | CF-LX R2 (2017) | CF-LXXX (2017) | Gen.s Gem Caps (2015)

"Under no pretext should arms and ammunition be surrendered; any attempt to disarm the workers must be frustrated, by force if necessary"

Offline naasfu

• The Curator
  • * Destiny Supporter
  • CURSE YOU HE-MAN
« Reply #3 on: Wed, 23 September 2015, 00:08:03 »
stickers are useless and in no way worth the silly amount of time it takes to put them on

the red ones make you type faster. 

but seriously, i just like how they add a bit of color to the board.
a cute stray cat combination that comes out happily when you look at your face is cute

WANTED: gib clacks        post your mspaints!        post your rubber domes!

Offline Sent

• Simplistic Serenity
  • * Exquisite Elder
  • ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
« Reply #4 on: Wed, 23 September 2015, 00:10:43 »
but seriously, i just like how they add a bit of color to the board.

Pretty much this.

Offline katushkin

• Too Keycool for School
  • * Elevated Elder
  • Just the guy
« Reply #5 on: Wed, 23 September 2015, 00:55:56 »
Gotta get me some stickers. Just need some switch tools to make the whole process easier.
Can we get them to build the Alps ten feet higher and get Cherry to pay for it?
Katushkin's Clearout | Twitter | Steam | Instagram| Discord - katushkin

Offline KHAANNN

« Reply #6 on: Wed, 23 September 2015, 02:11:06 »
I rebuilt my boards just to remove the stickers cuz I swear they were causing my switches to feel bad...

This was my concern too, as it felt like they were just stressing the switch assembly for no gain, yet I compared a stickered and non-stickered keyboard side by side, both have 5.2mm plates with cutouts that secure the switches well, the stickered keyboard's switches were pretty much one with the keyboard, while the non-stickered one had very minor horizontal wobble on some switches

These are Gateron clear switch tops, they felt more rigid then Cherry tops, on non-integrated switches I couldn't make the damn things wobble, but they wobbled like a Cherry once on the keyboard

I couldn't differentiate the typing experience, I also found the wobble to be extremely insignificant, at least I tell myself this

One thing is for certain tho, if I ever build a keyboard again, I would add the plastic gaskets, even though the gain might be 0-1%, leaving them out triggered my fomo

(This was my stickers by the way: https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=72624.0 - since they are thin plastic they blend in well)
Endgame | 1.25 Cmd for GMK Sets Please | Or Just 1.25 Blanks Like The Good Old Days

Offline Joey Quinn

• "..."
« Reply #7 on: Wed, 23 September 2015, 09:03:13 »
I think you really want a reason to justify using stickers. If you put then in just accept they're useless.
People in the 1980s, in general, were clearly just better than we are now in every measurable way.

The dumber the reason the more it must be done

Offline Fire Brand

• Keeper of Rainbows
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • BISCUITS!
« Reply #8 on: Wed, 23 September 2015, 09:41:25 »
I think you really want a reason to justify using stickers. If you put then in just accept they're useless.
Blam joey is speaking the truth right here
My Youtube Channel ~
More
Keyboards owned
More
Poker II - MX Black, Poker II ISO - MX Blue :c QFR ISO - MX Black, HHKB Pro 2 Black, VA68M - Gat Blacks w/68g Gold springs
My classified thread :3
More

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #9 on: Wed, 23 September 2015, 09:44:28 »
I've destickered switches I've bought from others. They're pure hype and just stupid. I've never bothered with them and I won't in the future. Nobody got time for that.

Offline Steezus

• Keeper of Facts
  • * Elevated Elder
« Reply #10 on: Wed, 23 September 2015, 18:07:45 »
I think stickers are a complete waste of time as well. They seem to never stick well for me and any time I put the switch cover back on the sticker gets scrunched up. The amount of time it takes to open up a switch, replace the spring(maybe lube too), sip sockets, and then clipping the LEDs to fit is incomprehensible until you finally sit down to do it all in my opinion.
TGR-Jane CE | TGR-Tris CE | Lyn Montage | LZ PhysiX | Exclusive e8.5

Offline rpeterclark

• RPTR ❌
« Reply #11 on: Wed, 23 September 2015, 19:46:11 »
Random question, where did stickering switches even come from? Did it start as a thing on Korean forums?

Offline ghostjuggernaut

• * Curator
« Reply #12 on: Wed, 23 September 2015, 20:05:20 »
I was under the impression the whole wobbly switch theory was debunked a long time ago.

I believe they originated on korean forums.

Offline Oobly

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #13 on: Thu, 24 September 2015, 04:40:58 »
I was under the impression the whole wobbly switch theory was debunked a long time ago.

I believe they originated on korean forums.

Nope. Just like here, people posting random preferences with no real justification.

STICKERS DO MAKE A DIFFERENCE. They stabilise the switch tops.. Even in a square hole plate, the tops can still move laterally as well as up / down. Loose tops = more wobbly stems and caps as they allow the rails to move and the whole base to flex, especially noticable on tall profiles like sculptured SA. A tighter switch top reduces the movement and stabilises the sliders more.

Sigh, I guess I really have to make video on this. The time taken to install stickers really is a big hassle and for many the small gain in stability is not worth it, but for my plate mounted Clears with SA caps they make a noticable improvement.

I sticker all my MX switches, but when I get my Zealios in I won't have to :D They have a tighter switch top that doesn't move, so no stickers required. Eveeryone should switch to Zealios, then this whole debate becomes moot :D
Buying more keycaps,
it really hacks my wallet,
but I must have them.

Offline nmur

• ಠ_ಠ
« Reply #14 on: Thu, 24 September 2015, 04:45:13 »
Surely the vast majority of the wobbling is from the stem being loose in the housing, and not the two halves of the housing being loose?

Offline KHAANNN

« Reply #15 on: Thu, 24 September 2015, 04:53:26 »
Yes the majority is from the stem being loose (90%+, the stem is pretty loose), also for PCB mounts, the flex will obviously be more, yet adding a stressing sticker might make things worse by causing the switch top to pop off more easily

I just compared clear switch tops vs cherry switch tops, indeed the gateron clear tops wobble significantly less

I don't know how a gateron base+top combo will be, but please update us Oobly once you get some results (with Zealio's, since the entire switch is clear, a sticker might be unappealing too)

I have a hunch a sticker could still make a small improvement, maybe not 2-3% like Cherry's, but probably 0.2-0.3%

My main concern is usually the possibility of an additional sound, from the re-seating of the switch top, and not the wobble itself

Overall, I guess I won't regret not adding stickers too much, but still, if I could do it all over again, I would add them, not worth a re-soldering tho

Offline nmur

• ಠ_ಠ
« Reply #16 on: Thu, 24 September 2015, 04:58:34 »
I don't know how a gateron base+top combo will be, but please update us Oobly once you get some results (with Zealio's, since the entire switch is clear, a sticker might be unappealing too)

Zealios/rgb housings are apparently different:

Just ordered 200 sexy purple swes, this will be on my Jane and Orion v2 for sure. :thumb:
Just a question, sorry if it has been asked. I read somewhere that the gateron switches are close enough so we don't need the stickers, what about the Zealio swithes? Do I need the stickers for the Zealio?

RGB switch tops fit even more snug than the standard Gateron tops. :) So no, no stickers required.

Offline jerue

• (Whenever that happens :P)
  • * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #17 on: Thu, 24 September 2015, 09:24:27 »
Eveeryone should switch to Zealios, then this whole debate becomes moot :D

After everyone switches to Zealios, I just wanna buy a bunch of stickers and put 'em all over my face. They'd be more useful there.

Offline Data

« Reply #18 on: Thu, 24 September 2015, 14:43:13 »
Stickers are dumb.  If backlighting is "rice" then stickers are this:

Offline Joey Quinn

• "..."
« Reply #19 on: Thu, 24 September 2015, 14:46:55 »

Show Image

Lies, everything bosozoku makes the car faster.
People in the 1980s, in general, were clearly just better than we are now in every measurable way.

The dumber the reason the more it must be done

Offline Steezus

• Keeper of Facts
  • * Elevated Elder
« Reply #20 on: Thu, 24 September 2015, 16:17:15 »

Show Image

Lies, everything bosozoku makes the car faster.

Too bad there isn't a Monster Energy Drink sticker on the back windshield, that would add like +7 WHP.
TGR-Jane CE | TGR-Tris CE | Lyn Montage | LZ PhysiX | Exclusive e8.5

Offline SamirD

• * Esteemed Elder
  • on Buckling Springs since '88
    • http://www.huntsvillecarscene.com
« Reply #21 on: Thu, 24 September 2015, 17:03:48 »
There's something to be said about a car that looks like it's straight out of an anime.

I'm just waiting for someone to make the car/van/thing inspector gadget would drive.  That and Riff Raff's car/boat/house from the Heathcliff cartoon...