Author Topic: Pro Micro help and tips for Model F AT  (Read 2363 times)

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
Pro Micro help and tips for Model F AT
« on: Wed, 23 September 2015, 22:13:45 »
I have a Pro Micro breakout board and I would like to install it in an F AT to re-map some keys.

The Soarer's/Teensy thing has worked like a charm and I have done it several times, but I am completely lost with this new thing.

Can anybody give me a quick walk-through on how to do it?

I know that there have been discussions but I can't seem to find them. I will need details, I am better with a hammer and a drill than with programming.
Citizens United violates the essence of what made America a great country in its political system. Now it’s just an oligarchy, with unlimited political bribery being the essence of getting the nominations for president or to elect the president.
So now we’ve just seen a complete subversion of our political system as a payoff to major contributors, who want and expect and sometimes get favors for themselves after the election’s over.”
- Jimmy Carter 2015

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......

Offline umeboshi

Re: Pro Micro help and tips for Model F AT
« Reply #2 on: Thu, 24 September 2015, 00:58:04 »
This helped me out also when I compiled and burned the wrong image onto the pro micro...

https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=63227.msg1483033#msg1483033

Offline jorgenslee

« Reply #3 on: Thu, 24 September 2015, 02:55:34 »
The tricky part with Pro Micro is that after you short the Ground and Reset, you only have 8 seconds to flash the firmware.

Offline ShawnMeg

« Reply #4 on: Thu, 24 September 2015, 22:39:57 »
I have a Pro Micro breakout board and I would like to install it in an F AT to re-map some keys.

The Soarer's/Teensy thing has worked like a charm and I have done it several times, but I am completely lost with this new thing.

Can anybody give me a quick walk-through on how to do it?

I know that there have been discussions but I can't seem to find them. I will need details, I am better with a hammer and a drill than with programming.

Fohat,

Did you get this figured out?  It helps if you have some Linux command line experience.  It isn't too difficult, but if you haven't done it before, it can look confusing.  I installed avrdude with Crosspak on an old Mac.  You can PM me if you'd like.

IBM Model F122 X 2 internal Soarer's || IBM Model M122 internal Soarer's || AEK II SKCM Salmon ALPS external adb_usb converter ||  AEK M0115 SKCM Orange ALPS click mod external adb_usb converter || AEK M0115 SKCM Salmon ALPS external adb_usb converter ||

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #5 on: Fri, 25 September 2015, 12:48:02 »
Did you get this figured out? 

It helps if you have some Linux command line experience.  It isn't too difficult, but if you haven't done it before, it can look confusing.

No, I gave up. I have a bit of Linux command line experience, but not any kind of deep understanding.

My unit seems to be different from what was described elsewhere. And the voltage marking on the rear seems ambiguous, too.

Citizens United violates the essence of what made America a great country in its political system. Now it’s just an oligarchy, with unlimited political bribery being the essence of getting the nominations for president or to elect the president.
So now we’ve just seen a complete subversion of our political system as a payoff to major contributors, who want and expect and sometimes get favors for themselves after the election’s over.”
- Jimmy Carter 2015

Offline jorgenslee

« Reply #6 on: Fri, 25 September 2015, 22:26:08 »
Did you get this figured out? 

It helps if you have some Linux command line experience.  It isn't too difficult, but if you haven't done it before, it can look confusing.

No, I gave up. I have a bit of Linux command line experience, but not any kind of deep understanding.

My unit seems to be different from what was described elsewhere. And the voltage marking on the rear seems ambiguous, too.

My pro micro is just like that except with the "Deek-Robot" label in the back. When you plug it in, what LEDs are lighting up?

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #7 on: Sat, 26 September 2015, 09:32:14 »
My pro micro is just like that except with the "Deek-Robot" label in the back. When you plug it in, what LEDs are lighting up?

I get one solid red near the micro-USB socket and a green one at the other end blinks a couple of times.
- Jimmy Carter 2015

Offline umeboshi

« Reply #8 on: Wed, 30 September 2015, 03:00:22 »
I get one solid red near the micro-USB socket and a green one at the other end blinks a couple of times.

Is it able to go into bootloader mode?  (short RST+GND twice as it boots).  For me the sign that it did is the Product id changes (you can see it via dmesg) - on my pro micro, normal boot the id is "8036" and in bootloader mode it shows up with id of "0036".  8 seconds later it'll go back to "8036".  If it can go into bootloader mode then you can just quickly flash it...