Author Topic: I hear clicking in my sleep...  (Read 868 times)

Offline madmod

I hear clicking in my sleep...
« on: Sat, 26 September 2015, 17:00:10 »
Hi GH! Signed up because I'm looking to build my first board! I've had a few Das Keyboards but they aren't cutting it anymore. I love blues but had to get a second with browns since I worked in a cube for a while. Now I'm woking from home so blues are back!  :D  I just installed an ergonomic keyboard holder on my desk and I'm loving it! I really want something tenkeyless like a 60% but I can go lower. I'm addicted to VIM and spend most of my time in tmux. (Arrow keys, whats that? ;) ) I've had some key magic set up for about a year now with Karibiner but I'd like it to be in hardware. Caps is esc on tap but ctrl on hold, tap shift for visor terminal, and swap numbers/symbols shift. I don't think the poker or anything like that does key magic like I want so it looks like I will need to either build it myself or get something that can run tmk. A tmk usb>usb converter might be an option but I'd like some more portability I think. I have built a few projects with teensy and raspberry pi so building something from a PCB sounds like where I will end up. A planck looks awesome and having full control over firmware would be great for me to vimify everything, but I'm doing a ton of work right now and can't take the productivity hit of an ortholinear layout. A quark looks almost ideal execept for the fact that there is no pcb. I have the TextBlade on pre-order and will write a review whenever that actually arrives. The patents have some seriously interesting stuff and I'm excited to see how the magnetic keyswitches feel. Here is a pic of my new setup with the keyboard tray. I plan to mod the wrist wrest into a palm wrest with a magic trackpad in the middle. (I know trackpads are evil, but not leaving home row for mousing is amazing. I die a little inside every time my fingers leave home row.  ;) )

Also I must be a robot because these captchas are hard.  :eek:
112018-0

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
Re: I hear clicking in my sleep...
« Reply #1 on: Tue, 06 October 2015, 02:12:43 »
Welcome to Geekhack!

That looks like a comfortable setup you have there.

The captchas do disappear after a while, or so I've been told.

You might have a look through the making stuff together area which has lots of info about designing and building keyboards.

There's even a thread about TMK firmware.

And hasu does pop in from time to time, and is usually very responsive to questions :)
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ