Author Topic: Good Parts Boards?  (Read 1683 times)

Offline SamirD

• * Esteemed Elder
  • on Buckling Springs since '88
    • http://www.huntsvillecarscene.com
Good Parts Boards?
« on: Fri, 23 October 2015, 10:26:13 »
Where do you guys find good deals on 'parts only' boards?  Besides ebay. 

It would be nice to have a good source as I'm probably going to need some parts to get all my Ms to 100%.  Thank you in advance.

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
Re: Good Parts Boards?
« Reply #1 on: Fri, 23 October 2015, 10:29:01 »
e-waste recyclers and thrift stores.

Offline absyrd

• CPT HYPE PADAWAN
« Reply #2 on: Fri, 23 October 2015, 10:32:49 »
Thrift stores aren't usually worth the gas and time.

Making a deal with a local e-cycler is. Many will just put aside tons of boards in a box in a corner for you. You can politely ask them to not cut the cables, but they generally want to process them.
My wife I a also push her button . But now she have her button push by a different men. So I buy a keyboard a mechanicale, she a reliable like a Fiat.

Offline inanis

• Truly Literally The Cloud
  • * Destiny Supporter
    • SEALWoodworking
« Reply #3 on: Fri, 23 October 2015, 10:39:55 »
I tried to find some good parts-only or refurb boards from my local e-waste recyler. I went in there and the guy was like, "Oh, we throw that stuff away. They are worth a lot in scrap metal." I was horrified. I told him to please call me if he ever got stuff in, but I know he won't. I don't think he took me very seriously, even though I said I would be happy to pay him for the boards.

I check thrift stores when I have a chance, but I have never found anything even almost worth picking up. I'm hoping that if I keep trying I'll have some success there. Once I found a board full of white ALPS clones. So far that has been my best find. I kept the switches but haven't yet done anything with them.
Some hearts are gallows, I'm not here for hangin' around

Offline SamirD

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #4 on: Fri, 23 October 2015, 11:01:21 »
There's some recyclers in HSV and some thrift stores in MKE, so I guess that would be my only two options.

Bummer. :(  It would be nice if one of the IBM refurbers had a 'parts only' section for just parts, but I guess parts must be in high demand too.

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #5 on: Fri, 23 October 2015, 11:06:46 »
Unicomp sells IBM parts

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #6 on: Fri, 23 October 2015, 11:23:57 »
I agree that you will be very lucky to find anything decent in a thrift store. 5 years ago, maybe. 15 years ago, definitely.

If by "parts" you mean anything but key caps, terminal boards usually sell much cheaper, but usually lack exactly the keys that you are probably looking for.

As for cases, mats, springs, barrel plates, etc, a single carcass will yield lots of parts for cheaper than ordering from Unicomp.
Citizens United violates the essence of what made America a great country in its political system. Now it’s just an oligarchy, with unlimited political bribery being the essence of getting the nominations for president or to elect the president.
So now we’ve just seen a complete subversion of our political system as a payoff to major contributors, who want and expect and sometimes get favors for themselves after the election’s over.”
- Jimmy Carter 2015

Offline SamirD

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #7 on: Fri, 23 October 2015, 11:33:14 »
Unicomp sells IBM parts
Thank you for the reminder.  Somehow that slipped my mind!  :thumb:
As for cases, mats, springs, barrel plates, etc, a single carcass will yield lots of parts for cheaper than ordering from Unicomp.
So this is what I'm talking about.  I actually am looking at one of the Ms I have that wasn't 100% when I bought it many years ago for 50 cents and the parts it needs. 

It's missing a few keycaps, but also somehow the plastic 'barrel' that the key goes into on f5, is cracked and the cracked piece broke off and is no where to be found.  (But I have heard some rattling in the case, so I'll need to check there.).  It's parts/fixes like this that are a bit of a challenge without a nice donor board. :(  And it doesn't seem like donor boards come easy.

It's a nice board too--from 88 with the white label, sdl, and metal stabs on the num pad.

Offline Snowdog993

• Grace Under Pressure
  • Justifiably Clueless.
« Reply #8 on: Fri, 23 October 2015, 11:34:59 »
I agree that you will be very lucky to find anything decent in a thrift store. 5 years ago, maybe. 15 years ago, definitely.

If by "parts" you mean anything but key caps, terminal boards usually sell much cheaper, but usually lack exactly the keys that you are probably looking for.

Conversely, you could always get an ANSI terminal 102-key, and have a full layout for the keycaps too.  If the keyboard costs less than an entire keyset from Unicomp.   :)
Especially the 1395162.  (Which is a 101 terminal board...)

« Last Edit: Fri, 23 October 2015, 11:42:40 by Snowdog993 »

Offline SamirD

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #9 on: Fri, 23 October 2015, 11:56:52 »

Conversely, you could always get an ANSI terminal 102-key, and have a full layout for the keycaps too.  If the keyboard costs less than an entire keyset from Unicomp.   :)
Especially the 1395162.  (Which is a 101 terminal board...)

Show Image

Yes, quite true.  And then if I find a used board that's working, that's a donor too, except that it works so anything I take off that board will need another donor, lol.  I guess this is how we keep buying things!

Offline jerue

• (Whenever that happens :P)
  • * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #10 on: Fri, 23 October 2015, 12:56:15 »
My thirft store used to be very good. Found a AT101W, my amber Omron board, and a beige Space Invader switch board there. I think they caught on because I havent seen anything good in a while. I would go to my local e-cycler if their hours weren't totally insane. If you know of any thrift chains that do online like Goodwill, once in a while you can get a bargain; there was a SSK that sold for $90 and a full Dolch PAC 62 for $100 or something similar. I missed both :(