Author Topic: What software do you use to manage photos?  (Read 8694 times)

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
What software do you use to manage photos?
« on: Sun, 25 October 2015, 02:36:43 »
Until recently, I used iPhoto on a Mac to manage photos.

My requirements are simple - start automatically when the camera or memory card is connected, group photos by date, allow me to export a day's worth of photos to a network directory (from where they are backupped to three different places).

I do NOT want to upload them anywhere - that would take waaay too long.  My iPhoto libraries are just over 250GB in size containing nearly 50,000 photos.

What software do people use to manage this many photos in a similar way?

Must run on Mac, ideally cross-platform and free.
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline raymogi

Re: What software do you use to manage photos?
« Reply #1 on: Sun, 25 October 2015, 03:58:40 »
Yeah iPhoto here as well. Very simple and easy to use even for folks like me.

The thing is I'm using Windows at home now and I can't wait to upgrade to the Mac Pro at the end of this year. I want to bring that OSX experience home again.
Please feed my addiction.

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #2 on: Sun, 25 October 2015, 05:10:28 »
I'm given to understand that iPhoto has been replaced by a new app called Photos.

There was some criticism of Photos to begin with, but I haven't heard much about it for a while.

I believe Photos is only available with Yosemite or later, and I have Mavericks.
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline raymogi

« Reply #3 on: Sun, 25 October 2015, 05:19:36 »
Ah true that. It is called Photos now. I remember doing cmd+space to look for iPhoto and it's greyed out lol.
Please feed my addiction.

Offline SamirD

• * Esteemed Elder
  • on Buckling Springs since '88
    • http://www.huntsvillecarscene.com
« Reply #4 on: Fri, 30 October 2015, 23:24:25 »
So I have somewhere near 600k-700k of photos and videos and 7 cameras.  And a lot of times I need to find one quick.  I use the following:
  • High speed card readers.  I never have connected a camera to a computer.  It's slower and more cumbersome.
  • A date-based directory structure with the original memory card structure within it.  Each camera has a unique directory name on the card to avoid conflicts with other cameras.  I NEVER reset the file count on my cameras so I always know if a file is older or newer.  Plus I have an odometer of sorts for each camera (until they flip anyways).
  • 3 enterprise class drives for storage in triplicate that are compared against each other when each memory card is offloaded and also compared yearly for bit-rot. 
  • Smugmug's highest plan (whatever that is now).  I upload everything to there as my archive and offsite backup, and upload there again for display galleries.  The archive copies are downloaded again and compared with the originals each time a card is offloaded.  All the presentation work is done in the display galleries directly online--nothing local.
I was publishing about 45k photos per year with an average turnaround goal of 72 hours from the time they were shot.  And I usually met this goal unless I fell behind.  I've also got hundreds and hundreds of family weddings and other event photos that my family can still look at as the gallery links haven't changed in almost 10 years.  It works for me.  :thumb:

Offline Incredigasmic

• Orange is Love. Orange is Life.
« Reply #5 on: Tue, 03 November 2015, 08:22:57 »
I use Pixlr for all of my photo management
"If I married my 6th grade gf I'd be white trash...7th grade I'd be alright" ~ Binge

"Incredi is the foremost master of all things orange" ~ BroCaps

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #6 on: Tue, 03 November 2015, 20:03:24 »
I use Pixlr for all of my photo management

Online or licenced per month?

Not quite what I was hoping for.

Offline SamirD

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #7 on: Tue, 03 November 2015, 22:58:03 »
Oh and apparently Smugmug has added a fully-featured built-in photo and video editor:
http://news.smugmug.com/2014/05/21/the-all-new-in-smugmug-photo-editor/

I need to get back to shooting...

Offline 1swt2gs

• DOGE
« Reply #8 on: Tue, 03 November 2015, 23:02:02 »
iPhoto sucks for me.

I own a DSLR and shoot primarily in .cr2 (raw). So if I want to preserve those RAW files I have to use Lightroom.

So basically LightRoom and Adobe Photoshop CS2.

Such artisan, many caps, very keyboard.

Always searching for Bro caps! 

1swt2gs classifieds!

Offline SamirD

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #9 on: Tue, 03 November 2015, 23:25:56 »
iPhoto sucks for me.

I own a DSLR and shoot primarily in .cr2 (raw). So if I want to preserve those RAW files I have to use Lightroom.

Yep, with raw there's no way around lightroom or aperture for a solid workflow.  But they're really good for it too.

Offline rm-rf

« Reply #10 on: Tue, 03 November 2015, 23:26:42 »
I use a thing called folders to manage all my files, sometimes those folders have other folders inside of them.

Offline HoffmanMyster

• HOFF, smol MAN OF MYSTERY
  • * Senior Moderator
« Reply #11 on: Tue, 03 November 2015, 23:46:34 »
  • 3 enterprise class drives for storage in triplicate that are compared against each other when each memory card is offloaded and also compared yearly for bit-rot.
My photo library backs up daily, but I'm concerned that if the originals become corrupted, then the copies will as well.  Basically all I'm doing right now is protecting against drive failure, not corruption.  How complicated/expensive is your solution? 

• Smugmug's highest plan (whatever that is now).  I upload everything to there as my archive and offsite backup, and upload there again for display galleries.  The archive copies are downloaded again and compared with the originals each time a card is offloaded.  All the presentation work is done in the display galleries directly online--nothing local.

I'd never heard of Smugmug until now.  :eek:  Very intriguing.  I skimmed through their "see what this is all about" section and they mention how easy it is for you to download your own photos; is it easy to offer an entire album for your friends to download?  I need an easy way to share entire albums with my family - emails are too small/cumbersome, I'm out of space on Dropbox (plus that's an obnoxious method), and flickr is super terrible for downloading pictures.

I use a thing called folders to manage all my files, sometimes those folders have other folders inside of them.

Hahaha, this was my first thought.  :))  "I use Windows Explorer"

Offline rm-rf

« Reply #12 on: Tue, 03 November 2015, 23:51:38 »

It is just weird to me why someone would want some program on top of everything else. to use more system resources to do the exact same thing that your computer operating system already does for you...
or maybe they just don't know how?

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #13 on: Tue, 03 November 2015, 23:52:48 »

:))

Nice try :p

Actually an iPhoto library is just a series of folders, it just happens to have a GUI on top that lets you group by "event", match faces (badly) and so on.

I have fallen back to organising by dates, with one folder for each calendar month, and then one or more folder inside that for each day (with an alphabetic suffix for different "events" on the same day).  But now I have to manually create the folders, manually import the photos from each device, manually delete the photos from each device, manually backup each folder and so on.

This is a pain to maintain (especially using Finder on a Mac), so I was hoping for some way of making the process a little less painful.

iPhoto at least would prompt to import and delete the photos as soon as I connect a device or plug a memory card in, groups by date with separate groups for multiple "events" on one day, and has a fairly simple export (for backup) process.

Offline Bartlebum

• Addict.
« Reply #14 on: Wed, 04 November 2015, 00:02:27 »
iPhoto sucks for me.

For editing, sure, but for organizing things by events and dates, Photos should still do a good job, no?

Razer | HHKB | Pok3r | GON

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #15 on: Wed, 04 November 2015, 00:03:44 »
By the way I have no need to edit the photos.

There are waaaaaaaaaaaaay too many to worry about editing them, anyway :))

Offline rm-rf

« Reply #16 on: Wed, 04 November 2015, 00:04:44 »

More
Actually an iPhoto library is just a series of folders, it just happens to have a GUI on top that lets you group by "event", match faces (badly) and so on.

I have fallen back to organising by dates, with one folder for each calendar month, and then one or more folder inside that for each day (with an alphabetic suffix for different "events" on the same day).  But now I have to manually create the folders, manually import the photos from each device, manually delete the photos from each device, manually backup each folder and so on.

This is a pain to maintain (especially using Finder on a Mac), so I was hoping for some way of making the process a little less painful.

iPhoto at least would prompt to import and delete the photos as soon as I connect a device or plug a memory card in, groups by date with separate groups for multiple "events" on one day, and has a fairly simple export (for backup) process.

yeah, apple doesn't make things as intuitive as the claim.
but I do like my folders, and sub directories.

I know there is a way to automate importing stuff off of devices on the apple.
I had to set it up for my parents, and their archival from their cameras.
Every time the camera gets connected it dumps it into a new sub-folder that is dated.
Everything gets copied to another drive, then the memory card is emptied.
and then every few months you can just put things into their respected areas/sub folders.

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #17 on: Wed, 04 November 2015, 00:07:10 »
The thing is I had a nice workflow going with iPhoto BEFORE I reinstalled OS X.

Now I can't install iPhoto (this is documented elsewhere around here), so I'm looking for alternatives.

Although I said elsewhere that I've given up after wasting several hours trying to reinstall iPhoto, I might give it another go one day when I have some spare time.

Offline 1swt2gs

• DOGE
« Reply #18 on: Wed, 04 November 2015, 00:07:52 »
iPhoto sucks for me.

For editing, sure, but for organizing things by events and dates, Photos should still do a good job, no?

iPhoto sucks for me.

Nope, photos still sucks (as most images are .cr2 file). I have it set to open on Preview and then just upload them and organize them in folders the old fashion Windows way.

1swt2gs classifieds!

Offline rm-rf

« Reply #19 on: Wed, 04 November 2015, 00:09:22 »
iPhoto sucks for me.

iPhoto sucks for me.

Nope, photos still sucks (as most images are .cr2 file). I have it set to open on Preview and then just upload them and organize them in folders the old fashion Windows way.

its not the windows way, its the old file clerk way! c'mon!

Offline Goranth

« Reply #20 on: Wed, 04 November 2015, 01:40:04 »
I use a mix of plain Windows Explorer/Mac Finder and Adobe Bridge for organizing photos.  Bridges ability to batch name/output is so great for my workflow.  After I get back from a shoot I can just import and rename them all in one go before I start really working.  It's rating system helps to do a quick and dirty selection process too.

Offline 1swt2gs

• DOGE
« Reply #21 on: Wed, 04 November 2015, 01:42:05 »
iPhoto sucks for me.

iPhoto sucks for me.

its not the windows way, its the old file clerk way! c'mon!

That's what I meant. Sometimes the old/simplest way is the best way!

1swt2gs classifieds!

Offline rm-rf

« Reply #22 on: Wed, 04 November 2015, 01:43:49 »
I use a mix of plain Windows Explorer/Mac Finder and Adobe Bridge for organizing photos.  Bridges ability to batch name/output is so great for my workflow.  After I get back from a shoot I can just import and rename them all in one go before I start really working.  It's rating system helps to do a quick and dirty selection process too.

you can do all that without the software ..

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #23 on: Wed, 04 November 2015, 03:41:12 »
Anyone got any thoughts on Google Picasa?

Offline rm-rf

« Reply #24 on: Wed, 04 November 2015, 04:22:53 »

read the user agreement you wont want to use it.

Offline jamster

« Reply #25 on: Wed, 04 November 2015, 06:00:15 »

I tried Photo Mechanic a couple of years back, it's geared towards mass organisation/sorting/tagging of images for high throughput professionals (i.e. I don't believe it does image manipulation). It was easy to pick up. It is not free.

I ended up going with Lightroom for manipulation + organisation.
« Last Edit: Wed, 04 November 2015, 06:04:52 by jamster »

Offline jamster

« Reply #26 on: Wed, 04 November 2015, 06:04:03 »

It is just weird to me why someone would want some program on top of everything else. to use more system resources to do the exact same thing that your computer operating system already does for you...

Why would you want to use a computer to edit documents, when you can write on paper with charcoal stick? Or use a computer to send email when you can rely on the postman?

You're worried about system resources? Maybe it's time to ditch the Pentium 4.

Offline njbair

• I love the Powerglove. It's so bad.
    • nickbair.net
« Reply #27 on: Wed, 04 November 2015, 06:37:15 »
I use Google Photos with auto backup for everything I take with my phone, then I can go back in and sort the auto backed up stuff later. I use Lightroom for raw files from my Nikon, then post the "developed" shots to Flickr (for hobby stuff) and/or Google (for family stuff).

And rm-rf, while it's true you can drag files around without leaving Windows Explorer, you cannot embed rich metadata such as EXIF data, approval/rejection and rating tags, and album/collection organization; iteratively apply every conceivable kind of treatment or correction non-destructively; or take advantage of a highly task-optimized interface.

Alpine Winter GB | My Personal TMK Firmware Repo
IBM Rubber Band "Floss" Mod | Click Modding Alps 101 | Flame-Polishing Cherry MX Stems
Review: hasu's USB to USB converter
My boards:
More
AEKII 60% | Alps64 HHKB | Ducky Shine 3, MX Blues | IBM Model M #1391401, Nov. 1990 | IBM SSK #1391472, Nov. 1987, screw modded, rubber-band modded | Noppoo EC108-Pro, 45g | Infinity 60% v2 Hacker, Matias Quiet Pros | Infinity 60% v2 Standard, MX Browns | Cherry G80-1800LPCEU-2, MX Blacks | Cherry G80-1813 (Dolch), MX Blues | Unicomp M-122, ANSI-modded | Unicomp M-122 (Unsaver mod in progress) | 2x Unitek K-258, White Alps | Apple boards (IIGS, AEKII) | Varmilo VA87MR, Gateron Blacks | Filco Zero TKL, Fukka White Alps | Planck, Gateron Browns | Monarch, click-modded Cream Alps

Offline keshley

• Blog n stuff
« Reply #28 on: Wed, 04 November 2015, 06:55:36 »
Another Lightroom user here, so not a free solution. Not the best solution if you're just trying to organize, and don't care about editing.

Also, how many photos is too many to edit? On a good year, I take about 10,000 photos with my DSLR, and I go through all of them in Lightroom, post processing the good ones as I come across them. Lightroom will even let you do batch processing if you want.

For those who "use folders" to manage, when you're dealing with tens of thousands of photos, folders just doesn't cut it. I might be looking for photos by date (which is how my photos are organized on the drive), but I might need to find photos with architecture in them. Which I tag in Lightroom. Or maybe I want to find photos with Bicycles in them. I can't do a mass search for Bicycle photos taken in Charlotte if they're folder organized. Just not flexible enough. And I'm not going to drill down through hundreds of folders to find the 500 photos that might fit that criteria.

HHKB Pro 2       Pok3r

Offline Coreda

« Reply #29 on: Wed, 04 November 2015, 07:00:43 »

The program or the hosting service? Seems fairly standard terms for sharing uploaded content on Google but didn't see anything about the program itself. Last version I used of the program was from 2005.

Offline SamirD

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #30 on: Wed, 04 November 2015, 09:58:55 »
lol.  That's essentially what I do for the raw data.  Then a secondary backup and presentation/hosting on smugmug.

Offline SamirD

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #31 on: Wed, 04 November 2015, 10:14:44 »
My photo library backs up daily, but I'm concerned that if the originals become corrupted, then the copies will as well.  Basically all I'm doing right now is protecting against drive failure, not corruption.  How complicated/expensive is your solution? 

I'd never heard of Smugmug until now.  :eek:  Very intriguing.  I skimmed through their "see what this is all about" section and they mention how easy it is for you to download your own photos; is it easy to offer an entire album for your friends to download?  I need an easy way to share entire albums with my family - emails are too small/cumbersome, I'm out of space on Dropbox (plus that's an obnoxious method), and flickr is super terrible for downloading pictures.
It's actually quite cheap.  I find the enterprise class drives in cdw's outlet from time to time, put them in an external enclosure with a fan.  I have 3 drives like this.  I then connect them to the fastest system I have where I also connect the memory card readers.  I copy the data from the cards to one of the drives and then compare it to the original.  I start uploading that to smugmug.  While it is uploading, I copy that same new batch of photos to the backup drive.  I compare the backup drive with the original.  After the smugmug upload is done, I download them again and compare that with the originals.  The originals are then moved to a folder I keep on the card called 'offloded'.  I erase the offloded directory on a card before I go out shooting again.

Since videos are transcoded at Smugmug, I keep three local copies of them on the drives.

Every so often (usually yearly) I use windff to compare one drive to another.  I note the differences and then play the 'one of these is not like the other' game and if two match, the third one got corrupted.  I'll copy a good copy over the corrupted one and move on.  I try to get rid of my drives in advance too.  I'll try to replace them every 2 years even though they have a 5yr warranty and a 1M mtbf.

Smugmug's storage is very, very robust.  I've uploaded and downloaded 100GB on that service and compared to the originals without a single bit error.  They're using Amazon's storage infrastructure so it's very bulletproof.

I'll upload the days photos to a an archive section I made in smugmug (where I do the upload and compare), and then upload the photos again to individual galleries for presentation.  (I actually upload the entire days again just like for the archive and then move them around in smugmug as that's easier, but the concept is the same.)

The whole solution sounds a lot more complicated than it is.  I literally don't rely on any specific computer system, and it works with any camera since it doesn't rely on the camera either.  I have 7 cameras that I can use and offload and keep organized pretty easily.  I've got about 700,000 pictures and videos in the archive.  I'm on the highest plan with smugmug and am using a bit over 1tb with them.  I think I even have a referral code I can give you that gives you a discount on the service.

Offline SamirD

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #32 on: Wed, 04 November 2015, 10:16:12 »

There's a lot of features and workflow efficiencies that stand-alone programs can bring.  They also introduce their own overhead, so sometimes a native solution can work better.  It's really up to the task and individual.

Offline SamirD

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #33 on: Wed, 04 November 2015, 10:16:45 »

The only thing I don't like about 'automatic' systems is that when (not if) they mess up, you lose your photos...:(

Offline SamirD

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #34 on: Wed, 04 November 2015, 10:17:23 »
iPhoto sucks for me.

Nope.  Lightroom is even really good for organization.  There's a lot of pros that use it to catalog everything they've ever shot.

Offline SamirD

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #35 on: Wed, 04 November 2015, 10:18:06 »

haha, I'm actually in the same boat.  That's why I like the smugmug solution--upload, hide photos I don't want to publish, share the gallery link to publish--done!

Offline SamirD

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #36 on: Wed, 04 November 2015, 10:18:47 »
Adobe Bridge sounds interesting.  Can it do simple changes to the photos or just rename/exif/etc.?

Offline SamirD

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #37 on: Wed, 04 November 2015, 10:19:18 »

you can do all that without the software ..
You can, but it won't be as easy (unless it's just renaming).

Offline SamirD

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #38 on: Wed, 04 November 2015, 10:19:35 »

Yep, a lot of 'free' products eula's are horrible.

Offline SamirD

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #39 on: Wed, 04 November 2015, 10:20:57 »
Another Lightroom user here, so not a free solution. Not the best solution if you're just trying to organize, and don't care about editing.

Also, how many photos is too many to edit? On a good year, I take about 10,000 photos with my DSLR, and I go through all of them in Lightroom, post processing the good ones as I come across them. Lightroom will even let you do batch processing if you want.

For those who "use folders" to manage, when you're dealing with tens of thousands of photos, folders just doesn't cut it. I might be looking for photos by date (which is how my photos are organized on the drive), but I might need to find photos with architecture in them. Which I tag in Lightroom. Or maybe I want to find photos with Bicycles in them. I can't do a mass search for Bicycle photos taken in Charlotte if they're folder organized. Just not flexible enough. And I'm not going to drill down through hundreds of folders to find the 500 photos that might fit that criteria.
Yep, and this is why a lot of pros use it.  I haven't used it myself, but I've interacted with a lot of people who do--and once they use it, it's a core part of their workflow.

Offline HoffmanMyster

• HOFF, smol MAN OF MYSTERY
  • * Senior Moderator
« Reply #40 on: Wed, 04 November 2015, 11:06:03 »
Samiiiiiiiiiiiiir

I've never seen a decuple-post before.  :eek:  Please use the multi-quote button!

Offline SamirD

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #41 on: Wed, 04 November 2015, 11:29:46 »
Samiiiiiiiiiiiiir

I've never seen a decuple-post before.  :eek:  Please use the multi-quote button!
I kept screwing up the multi-quotes so I just did it old school.  :-[

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #42 on: Wed, 04 November 2015, 11:30:20 »
Is there an open source version of Lightroom or a version where it isn't pay per month? I like the editing functionality of Lightroom but I don't need it to organize my pictures.

I just use Windows Explorer and flickr to organize the pictures I actually care about. imgur is for random stuff.

Offline keshley

• Blog n stuff
« Reply #43 on: Wed, 04 November 2015, 12:27:56 »
Is there an open source version of Lightroom or a version where it isn't pay per month? I like the editing functionality of Lightroom but I don't need it to organize my pictures.

I just use Windows Explorer and flickr to organize the pictures I actually care about. imgur is for random stuff.

Its getting harder and harder to find, but there's a standalone SKU. I think the reason its so hidden is because the standalone version of Lightroom ends up being a lot cheaper than the Adobe CC version. Assuming you use it every month, of course :)

I need to upgrade to LR 6 anyways, so let me see if I can dig it up...

Edit - Here it is: This link should add LR 6 standalone to cart
« Last Edit: Wed, 04 November 2015, 12:31:48 by keshley »

HHKB Pro 2       Pok3r

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #44 on: Wed, 04 November 2015, 12:31:26 »
That's great to know. I don't think I'd use Adobe stuff enough to justify that monthly cost which is my issue.

Offline SamirD

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #45 on: Wed, 04 November 2015, 13:11:03 »
If you just want to do image editing, GIMP portable is also pretty awesome for free.

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #46 on: Wed, 04 November 2015, 15:17:47 »

I usually do read them, haven't had a chance to look at this one yet though.

I tried Photo Mechanic a couple of years back, it's geared towards mass organisation/sorting/tagging of images for high throughput professionals (i.e. I don't believe it does image manipulation). It was easy to pick up. It is not free.

I ended up going with Lightroom for manipulation + organisation.

Both non-free unfortunately, which exceeds my $0 budget for this :(

I use Google Photos with auto backup for everything I take with my phone, then I can go back in and sort the auto backed up stuff later. I use Lightroom for raw files from my Nikon, then post the "developed" shots to Flickr (for hobby stuff) and/or Google (for family stuff).

Online, right?  I have far too many photos to upload, and it would be far too slow to manipulate them (sort, review, search) online.

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #47 on: Wed, 04 November 2015, 15:19:46 »
To give a vague indication of how many photos I am trying to organise, in 2014 I had around 5800 photos/videos totalling 20GB.  2015 is 4310 files totalling around 21GB and counting.

I also backup my other half's photos.

She created just over 60000 photos/videos totalling about 89GB in 2014, and so far in 2015 around 31000 files totalling 59GB.

The history goes back about 10 years, although everything before 2012 is stored on several other external hard drives.  It is mainly the incoming files that I would like to organise.

Anyone used DarkTable?

http://www.darktable.org/

It seems aimed at Linux distros mainly, but apparently runs on a Mac, although the "Good luck :)" doesn't fill me with confidence.

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #48 on: Wed, 04 November 2015, 15:20:38 »
If you just want to do image editing, GIMP portable is also pretty awesome for free.

I want to bulk process photos. I have Photoshop Elements 9 which I use to image edit but it's a pain to process like 200 pictures with that.

Offline SamirD

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #49 on: Wed, 04 November 2015, 19:15:12 »

I want to bulk process photos. I have Photoshop Elements 9 which I use to image edit but it's a pain to process like 200 pictures with that.
Bulk processing is hard unless you have a simple process to do on all of them like sharpen 10%.  Then something like irfanview is quite good at that.