Author Topic: What weird facts do you know?  (Read 7401 times)

Offline trenzafeeds

• * Exquisite Elder
  • **** off
What weird facts do you know?
« on: Mon, 02 November 2015, 07:55:27 »
One of the only things I like on Reddit is /r/TIL, I love all the interesting little factoids that people have to share.
I didn't actually learn this today, but I'll start:
The stereotype that pimps where lots of jewelry is actually based in fact. Criminals of various type used to do this (and still sometimes do) because cash is confiscated upon arrest, but jewelry is not, so it can be pawned from inside jail (using their criminal connections) in order to raise bail.
demik will never leave.

Unless he gets banned.

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
Re: What weird facts do you know?
« Reply #1 on: Mon, 02 November 2015, 07:57:16 »
For my own convience, I made a thread to organize my mechanical keyboard "knowledge". They are all weird facts and opinions.

Offline Flyersfan1

• * Destiny Supporter
  • Hi!
« Reply #2 on: Mon, 02 November 2015, 08:14:50 »
Yoda and Miss Piggy were both voiced by the same person.
Quote from: Photekq
i know people who think salt is spicy

Offline hudson0804

« Reply #3 on: Mon, 02 November 2015, 09:30:12 »
12+1 = 11+2, and "twelve plus one" is an anagram of "eleven plus two."

Offline trenzafeeds

• * Exquisite Elder
  • **** off
« Reply #4 on: Mon, 02 November 2015, 10:30:12 »
I can kind of hear that now that you say it... it's weird though
demik will never leave.

Unless he gets banned.

Offline Findecanor

« Reply #5 on: Mon, 02 November 2015, 13:38:33 »
He is also a film direction, who has directed Nicole Kidman, Eddie Murphy, Robert de Niro and Peter Dinklage, among others (all for different movies).
« Last Edit: Mon, 02 November 2015, 13:44:46 by Findecanor »
🍉

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #6 on: Mon, 02 November 2015, 17:16:06 »
111,111,111 * 111,111,111 = 12,345,678,987,654,321
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline noisyturtle

• * Exalted Elder
  • comfortably numb
« Reply #7 on: Mon, 02 November 2015, 17:58:12 »
I know a lot of random facts about sea creatures because throughout college at the end of every semester they give you a teacher review form. The final question is always "Is there anything you would like to add?" to which I would invariably write something like:

Did you know dolphins never actually sleep? they are capable of resting each hemisphere of their brain separately, therefore never requiring actual sleep like most mammals.

Did you know there are two main types of nudibranchs (sea slugs.) Not all nudibranches are sea slugs, but all sea slugs are nudibranches. Dorid nudibranchs breathe through gills that sprout from their butts. And aeolid nudibranchs have cerata which are finger-like appendages that cover their entire back. The cerata can be a variety of shapes - thread-like, club-shaped, clustered, or branched. They have multiple functions, including breathing, digestion and defense.

Did you know sharks are covered with tiny little teeth called dermal denticles. Even though denticles are similar to scales, they are really modified teeth and are covered with a hard enamel. These structures are packed tightly together and grow with their tips facing backwards. That’s why their skin feels like sandpaper.

Did you know that when the Parrot Fish sleeps it encases itself in a bubble of it's own mucus to avoid being smelled by close-by predators.

I could go on and on, my brain is filled with 5 years of this useless ****.

Offline njbair

• I love the Powerglove. It's so bad.
    • nickbair.net
« Reply #8 on: Mon, 02 November 2015, 21:16:11 »
It is generally believed that George Lucas' wife saved Star Wars by re-editing the film following George Lucas' awful original cut. She won an Academy Award for Best Editing that year.

I've heard that the New York City subway system was constructed with poor safety standards, and 16 people died during construction of the original underground system. I've also heard that even with modern technology, it would be nearly impossible to build the NYC subway system today without significant loss of life.

Here's one for the fall season: a tree's leaves are not actually green, but they are red, orange and yellow like we see in the fall. Only the chlorophyll covering the surface makes them appear green. When the tree stops producing chlorophyll, the leaves' true colors are exposed.

Alpine Winter GB | My Personal TMK Firmware Repo
IBM Rubber Band "Floss" Mod | Click Modding Alps 101 | Flame-Polishing Cherry MX Stems
Review: hasu's USB to USB converter
My boards:
More
AEKII 60% | Alps64 HHKB | Ducky Shine 3, MX Blues | IBM Model M #1391401, Nov. 1990 | IBM SSK #1391472, Nov. 1987, screw modded, rubber-band modded | Noppoo EC108-Pro, 45g | Infinity 60% v2 Hacker, Matias Quiet Pros | Infinity 60% v2 Standard, MX Browns | Cherry G80-1800LPCEU-2, MX Blacks | Cherry G80-1813 (Dolch), MX Blues | Unicomp M-122, ANSI-modded | Unicomp M-122 (Unsaver mod in progress) | 2x Unitek K-258, White Alps | Apple boards (IIGS, AEKII) | Varmilo VA87MR, Gateron Blacks | Filco Zero TKL, Fukka White Alps | Planck, Gateron Browns | Monarch, click-modded Cream Alps

Offline grav3serker

• graves + berserker = grav3serker
« Reply #9 on: Tue, 03 November 2015, 00:34:42 »
You spend 1/3 of your life sleeping. Definitely going to invest in a better bed after learning this!  :p

Offline katushkin

• Too Keycool for School
  • * Elevated Elder
  • Just the guy
« Reply #10 on: Tue, 03 November 2015, 04:12:35 »
The original German version of 99 Red Balloons (99 Luftballons) is an anti-war song inspired by watching balloons floating over the Berolin Wall during a Rolling Stones concert in West Berlin in 1982
Can we get them to build the Alps ten feet higher and get Cherry to pay for it?
Katushkin's Clearout | Twitter | Steam | Instagram| Discord - katushkin

Offline trenzafeeds

• * Exquisite Elder
  • **** off
« Reply #11 on: Tue, 03 November 2015, 04:49:35 »
It is generally believed that George Lucas' wife saved Star Wars by re-editing the film following George Lucas' awful original cut. She won an Academy Award for Best Editing that year.
Huh, that's funny. That's why they shouldn't have let him mess with the extended editions I guess.
demik will never leave.

Unless he gets banned.

Offline HoffmanMyster

• HOFF, smol MAN OF MYSTERY
  • * Senior Moderator
« Reply #12 on: Tue, 03 November 2015, 06:43:13 »
Here's one for the fall season: a tree's leaves are not actually green, but they are red, orange and yellow like we see in the fall. Only the chlorophyll covering the surface makes them appear green. When the tree stops producing chlorophyll, the leaves' true colors are exposed.

But...chlorophyll is part of the leaf, so leaves are green. That's like if I said "if we pretend that the parts of the leaf that make it red, orange, and yellow weren't there, it would have no color at all."  It's true, but does it really tell you anything?

Offline FranklinScudder

• Clack
« Reply #13 on: Tue, 03 November 2015, 07:04:21 »
Birthdays are good for you - the more you have the longer you live. ;)
            WTB | CMYK Mods

Offline njbair

• nickbair.net
« Reply #14 on: Tue, 03 November 2015, 07:22:44 »

But...chlorophyll is part of the leaf, so leaves are green. That's like if I said "if we pretend that the parts of the leaf that make it red, orange, and yellow weren't there, it would have no color at all."  It's true, but does it really tell you anything?
Except that the chlorophyll is just a pigment, produced by the tree and used up to turn sunlight and CO2 into plant food. When the tree stops replenishing the chlorophyll, the leaf shows its true self.

IBM Rubber Band "Floss" Mod | Click Modding Alps 101 | Flame-Polishing Cherry MX Stems
My boards:
More
AEKII 60% | Alps64 HHKB | Ducky Shine 3, MX Blues | IBM Model M #1391401, Nov. 1990 | IBM SSK #1391472, Nov. 1987, screw modded, rubber-band modded | Noppoo EC108-Pro, 45g | Infinity 60% v2 Hacker, Matias Quiet Pros | Infinity 60% v2 Standard, MX Browns | Cherry G80-1800LPCEU-2, MX Blacks | Cherry G80-1813 (Dolch), MX Blues | Unicomp M-122, ANSI-modded | Unicomp M-122 (Unsaver mod in progress) | 2x Unitek K-258, White Alps | Apple boards (IIGS, AEKII) | Varmilo VA87MR, Gateron Blacks | Filco Zero TKL, Fukka White Alps | Planck, Gateron Browns | Monarch, click-modded Cream Alps

Offline Incredigasmic

• Orange is Love. Orange is Life.
« Reply #15 on: Tue, 03 November 2015, 08:16:40 »
Optimus Prime and Eeyore are voiced by the same guy
"If I married my 6th grade gf I'd be white trash...7th grade I'd be alright" ~ Binge

"Incredi is the foremost master of all things orange" ~ BroCaps

Offline absyrd

• CPT HYPE PADAWAN
« Reply #16 on: Tue, 03 November 2015, 08:21:27 »
I'm going to post all these on facebook and pretend I knew it all before. Thx.
My wife I a also push her button . But now she have her button push by a different men. So I buy a keyboard a mechanicale, she a reliable like a Fiat.

Offline HoffmanMyster

• * Senior Moderator
« Reply #17 on: Tue, 03 November 2015, 08:26:04 »

Except that the chlorophyll is just a pigment, produced by the tree and used up to turn sunlight and CO2 into plant food. When the tree stops replenishing the chlorophyll, the leaf shows its true self.

But you've made the logical jump that the 'leaf' ends where the chlorophyll begins.  Isn't that sort of like saying our blood isn't part of our bodies?  And when we stop replenishing blood (we die), we show our true selves (no blood, pale complexion, etc)?  Chlorophyll is a critical part of a plant's survival (it's a huge part of what makes a plant a plant), so I have a hard time agreeing that it's not part of the plant.

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #18 on: Tue, 03 November 2015, 08:32:14 »

But you've made the logical jump that the 'leaf' ends where the chlorophyll begins.  Isn't that sort of like saying our blood isn't part of our bodies?  And when we stop replenishing blood (we die), we show our true selves (no blood, pale complexion, etc)?  Chlorophyll is a critical part of a plant's survival (it's a huge part of what makes a plant a plant), so I have a hard time agreeing that it's not part of the plant.
So what I get from this is that humans are actually blue and the blue man group knew this all along.

Offline keshley

• Blog n stuff
« Reply #19 on: Tue, 03 November 2015, 08:35:42 »
Led Zeppelin is so named because when they told Pete Townshend their band name was "The New Yardbirds" he told them they were going down like a lead zeppelin.

Not sure if that's weird.

Speaking of Pete Townshend, the name Pink Floyd is the joining of two artists, Pink Anderson, and Floyd Council.

HHKB Pro 2       Pok3r

Offline keshley

• Blog n stuff
« Reply #20 on: Tue, 03 November 2015, 08:38:53 »
Also also speaking of Pink Floyd, the sound in the beginning of Echoes is plucking the string between the tuning nob and the top nut.

HHKB Pro 2       Pok3r

Offline HoffmanMyster

• * Senior Moderator
« Reply #21 on: Tue, 03 November 2015, 08:44:39 »
Following the music theme:

Sting got his name because he used to run around in a black and yellow striped shirt when he was a kid.  Bumble bee, sting, etc.

The Police were originally called Strontium 90, which is a radioactive isotope of Strontium.

Sting's son wanted nothing to do with music* when he was growing up, and studied environmental science in school.  He ended up being the bassist and lead singer for the band Fiction Plane.

*"Nothing to do with music" may be an exaggeration - he certainly didn't aspire to be a musician like his dad, though he likely did learn music in his youth

Offline njbair

• nickbair.net
« Reply #22 on: Tue, 03 November 2015, 09:08:13 »

I would say a better comparison would be the melanin which makes us tan in the sun. We all have different amounts of melanin in our skin, which is why we all have different skin tones. Our real color is not tan, which is why maintaining a tan is harder than losing one. And before anyone points it out, dark-skinned people can get a tan. I've asked my brother-in-law. He looked at me funny before patronizingly confirming that yes, black people tan, too. I told him I knew it was a stupid question but I figured it was better than asking to see him naked.

Blood gives our flesh its reddish hue, but as you mentioned, when we die that goes away and we become pasty white. Likewise, a live leaf has a colorful hue even after the chlorophyll goes away. Then once it falls to the ground and dies, that color goes away and it becomes brown.

My boards:
More

Offline trenzafeeds

• * Exquisite Elder
  • **** off
« Reply #23 on: Tue, 03 November 2015, 09:39:31 »
Also also speaking of Pink Floyd, the sound in the beginning of Echoes is plucking the string between the tuning nob and the top nut.
That doesn't really surprise me, but it sure is interesting. I'm quite the music nerd myself.
demik will never leave.

Unless he gets banned.

Offline nubbinator

• Dabbler Supreme
  • * Maker
  • Model M "connoisseur"
« Reply #24 on: Tue, 03 November 2015, 09:53:47 »
The octopus is more closely related to Vulcans and Romulans than humans.

Not really, but like those two fictional races, it has copper based blood.

Offline katushkin

• Too Keycool for School
  • * Elevated Elder
  • Just the guy
« Reply #25 on: Tue, 03 November 2015, 09:55:44 »
I ****ing love The Police.
Can we get them to build the Alps ten feet higher and get Cherry to pay for it?
Katushkin's Clearout | Twitter | Steam | Instagram| Discord - katushkin

Offline njbair

• nickbair.net
« Reply #26 on: Tue, 03 November 2015, 10:16:26 »
The octopus is more closely related to Vulcans and Romulans than humans.

Not really, but like those two fictional races, it has copper based blood.

Does that have anything to do with its crazy camouflage ability?

My boards:
More

Offline SunPanda

« Reply #27 on: Tue, 03 November 2015, 20:53:43 »
Russia has a larger surface area than Pluto

Offline njbair

• nickbair.net
« Reply #28 on: Tue, 03 November 2015, 22:46:21 »
Russia has a larger surface area than Pluto

It's also colder and harder to get into than Pluto.

My boards:
More

Offline ANightOnCloudNine

« Reply #29 on: Wed, 04 November 2015, 01:20:09 »
Echidnas have 4 headed penises.

Offline Goranth

« Reply #30 on: Wed, 04 November 2015, 01:32:49 »
Mr Feeny from Boy Meets World prefers dark turkey meat.

Offline noisyturtle

• * Exalted Elder
  • comfortably numb
« Reply #31 on: Wed, 04 November 2015, 01:38:30 »
In Alberta Canada it is 100% legal to rob a bank, but only with a crossbow that was manufactured prior to 1874.

Offline hudson0804

« Reply #32 on: Wed, 04 November 2015, 05:19:38 »
Welshmen are prohibited from entering the city of Chester before the sun rises – and have to leave again before the sun goes down, according to an old by-law.

Offline trenzafeeds

• * Exquisite Elder
  • **** off
« Reply #33 on: Wed, 04 November 2015, 05:21:18 »
In Alberta Canada it is 100% legal to rob a bank, but only with a crossbow that was manufactured prior to 1874.
I'll keep that in mind.  :thumb:
demik will never leave.

Unless he gets banned.

Offline darkclone24

« Reply #34 on: Wed, 04 November 2015, 07:07:55 »

Welshmen are prohibited from entering the city of Chester before the sun rises – and have to leave again before the sun goes down, according to an old by-law.

It's similar to the fact you're allowed to kill a Scotsman inside York's walls, so long as it's with a bow and arrow.

Both laws are not actually in effect. Whilst they weren't repealed - they were overwritten by new laws and reclassification of old laws. Killing a Scotsman within York's walls with a bow and arrow is murder, denying a Welshman entry to Chester is a human rights violation.

Slavery comes under this as well. Until 2011, you were allowed to legally own another human being in the UK. However that person was entitled to the minimum wage, and every human right out there - you could own someone, but you couldn't actually make them do anything legally, so it was pointless.

Weird UK fact - we don't all drink tea.
RS84 67g Zealio Purple | Choc Mini MX Black | WASD V2 MX Clear | Golbat 78g Zealio Purple | Duck Octagon V2 MX Clear

Offline baldgye

• Will Smith Disciple
« Reply #35 on: Wed, 04 November 2015, 07:45:47 »

Your right, that is a weird fact.

Offline keshley

• Blog n stuff
« Reply #36 on: Wed, 04 November 2015, 07:57:22 »

Your right, that is a weird fact.

Particularly with how stalkerish they are...

HHKB Pro 2       Pok3r

Offline HoffmanMyster

• * Senior Moderator
« Reply #37 on: Wed, 04 November 2015, 10:18:22 »

They're my best friend's favorite group of all time, so I know a few more facts about them than I really need to.   :confused:

« Reply #38 on: Wed, 04 November 2015, 23:23:06 »
We are all weak flesh.

Offline noisyturtle

• * Exalted Elder
  • comfortably numb
« Reply #39 on: Wed, 04 November 2015, 23:30:15 »
Humans are born with the ability to swim, and we lose it as our brains develop past infancy and have to relearn.
If you toss a baby into a pool it's bradycardic response will kick in causing the infant to hold it's breath.

Offline bcredbottle

« Reply #40 on: Wed, 04 November 2015, 23:35:56 »
Under the Pashtunwali, a married man is not only allowed but obligated to murder his wife's lover if she makes him a cuckold.

« Reply #41 on: Thu, 05 November 2015, 02:05:26 »
Humans are born with the ability to swim, and we lose it as our brains develop past infancy and have to relearn.
If you toss a baby into a pool it's bradycardic response will kick in causing the infant to hold it's breath.
I just killed my nephew, all your fault. not mine.

Offline trenzafeeds

• * Exquisite Elder
  • **** off
« Reply #42 on: Thu, 05 November 2015, 05:21:26 »
Under the Pashtunwali

Sorry what is that?
demik will never leave.

Unless he gets banned.

Offline yowaffle

« Reply #43 on: Thu, 05 November 2015, 05:43:08 »
At minimum wage working a regular40 hour week, there is no single state in the US where you can afford a one or two bedroom apartment at fair market rent.

Source: urban planner! and the National Low Income Housing Coalition's Out of Reach Studies http://nlihc.org/oor
V60 [MQC] | KC60 [Zealiostotles] | Leopold FC660c [Topre] |  Ducky Shine 4 [MX Brown] | MiniVan [Zealios]

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #44 on: Thu, 05 November 2015, 05:53:07 »
At minimum wage working a regular40 hour week, there is no single state in the US where you can afford a one or two bedroom apartment at fair market rent.

Source: urban planner! and the National Low Income Housing Coalition's Out of Reach Studies http://nlihc.org/oor
When I was first married we rented a house, had our first child and bought a new to us used car all while on minimum wage but that was almost 10 years ago.

Offline heedpantsnow

• * Esteemed Elder
  • Old enough to know better
« Reply #45 on: Thu, 05 November 2015, 06:56:07 »

Under the Pashtunwali

Sorry what is that?

I'm assuming tribal law of Pashtun people group, in Afghanistan/Pakistan.  Probably mixed with Muslim Sharia law.
I'm back.

Espresso machine overhaul: https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=78261.0

Carbon Fiber keyboard base: https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=54825

Offline yowaffle

« Reply #46 on: Thu, 05 November 2015, 11:43:23 »

When I was first married we rented a house, had our first child and bought a new to us used car all while on minimum wage but that was almost 10 years ago.

Ohhhh sorry I wrote that when this morning when I was running late for work and forgot to include an important part of the fact :x It should read as:
"At minimum wage working a regular 40 hour week, there is no single state in the US where you can afford a one or two bedroom apartment at fair market rent without being cost burdened."

The Department of Housing and Urban Development consider paying more than 30% of your income for housing being cost burdened.
V60 [MQC] | KC60 [Zealiostotles] | Leopold FC660c [Topre] |  Ducky Shine 4 [MX Brown] | MiniVan [Zealios]

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #47 on: Thu, 05 November 2015, 11:50:18 »

Ohhhh sorry I wrote that when this morning when I was running late for work and forgot to include an important part of the fact :x It should read as:
"At minimum wage working a regular 40 hour week, there is no single state in the US where you can afford a one or two bedroom apartment at fair market rent without being cost burdened."

The Department of Housing and Urban Development consider paying more than 30% of your income for housing being cost burdened.

At $8.50 x 40 x 52 = $17,680, we paid $275/month for 2 bedrooms/one bath.

Offline yowaffle

« Reply #48 on: Thu, 05 November 2015, 12:20:19 »

At minimum wage working a regular 40 hour week, there is no single state in the US where you can afford a one or two bedroom apartment at fair market rent.

At $8.50 x 40 x 52 = $17,680, we paid $275/month for 2 bedrooms/one bath.

Congrats on not being income burdened back then! If you're interested in looking further into your situation 10 years ago, you could look for the data on what Fair Market Rent (FMR) was for a 2 bedroom apt. for your location back then. You could also learn more about my fact by checking out the link from my original post. It has the NLIHC's Out of Reach reports for the last several years as well as some fact sheets and interactive maps.

Offline keshley

• Blog n stuff
« Reply #49 on: Thu, 05 November 2015, 12:22:26 »
Cats don't meow at eachother, they only meow to communicate with us humans.

HHKB Pro 2       Pok3r