Author Topic: How do you feel about one-run only "limited edition" sets?  (Read 19786 times)

Offline Oobly

• * Esteemed Elder
Re: How do you feel about one-run only "limited edition" sets?
« Reply #150 on: Thu, 19 November 2015, 03:05:25 »
Round 5a has two grey tones with Honey and Cadet, then there's 1976 which should get a run as soon as SP has a slot, SA Retro ran recently and there's always the Filco brown / beige set (http://www.keyboardco.com/product/double_shot_filco_104_key_usa_keyset.asp). Green Screen and Retroblight are incoming, as is Penumbra Round 2, which should have a Solarised alphas again (lovely combination). Not enough retro for you? I've got a beige / brown set design waiting in the wings for Classic Space to complete (WCK alphas, TAA mods). Patience. These are the sets you're looking for. And if they're not, then one will come soon enough.

And like I said before: If the set design you desire doesn't exist, why not make it yourself and run a GB (after Dasher / Dancer)?

The Novatouch is a Topre with MX sliders. There are cheap boards with Topre compatible MX sliders like the Noppoo and Royal Kludge boards. JTK makes Topre MX sliders that were included in their debut GB. Any of the last three options will fit a full size Realforce. This is the direction the manufacturers are going, so I don't think there's any need to further segment the community by trying to get more Topre slider caps made. Alps is a different story, since the Alps switches don't have room inside the switch for MX stems, so you HAVE to use Alps stems.

I honestly feel a bit like you are simply complaining about the things you want, expecting people to hand them to you on a plate, ie 'entitlement', but I also know you are doing something about it (at least one of them) with your Dasher / Dancer set, so your posts here are a little confusing to me.

There are many 'factions' in this community, with different tastes and goals, so I'm all for having more set options. Maybe it is best that the "classic colourway sets" get run only through PMK, since they're not like the majority of designs that are based on a theme and include a lot more design work. They'd probably have a "slow, but steady" stream of orders and would suit being on the PMK store, especially if they don't have any child kits, or just the basics (numpad and ISO).

I do plan to give the rights to SP to continue to make my brown/beige design after the initial GB, since although it's a "themed" set with novelties, it's also a good general set with colours that suit a large number of boards and can be used without the novelties as simply a nice set that would be at home in any place you'd find a typewriter :)

Classic Space is most likely going to be a one-off, single GB run, as the design is only complete with the custom caps and novelties and we want to keep it more of a collector's item.
Buying more keycaps,
it really hacks my wallet,
but I must have them.

Offline zslane

« Reply #151 on: Thu, 19 November 2015, 13:19:11 »
I was just thinking out loud with regard to the kinds of sets I'd be interested in and feel would have a timeless quality that would attract ongoing sales long after an initial GB. I was observing that the kind of sets I have in mind tend to be based on vintage keyboards, rather than based on a theme. It would be a shame, in my mind, if sets like that were run only once since their broad appeal (or what I anticipate to be their broad appeal) makes them highly suitable for multiple runs.

If you think I feel "entitled" to them, or that I expect the world to hand me anything on a proverbial platter, then I would say you are reading way too much into my online ramblings. At most, I am trying to encourage designers with sets like Dolch or Honeywell in mind to re-consider any plans they might have for making them limited edition, single-run sets.

Offline Binge

• Island of Sandy Beaches
  • * Maker
  • With Gentle Time. I Feel Very Nice.
    • Hunger Work Studio
« Reply #152 on: Thu, 19 November 2015, 13:23:27 »
Can't believe this thread is still alive. 

For the new people - Group buys seem limited because the order size sets the number of products produced.  This means all GBs will be limited to a degree.  If a GB organizer wishes to run something ONCE and keep it from being produced after the fact then it is in their right as the designer/organizer.  Quit your *****ing.

For people who are entrenched members of any community with group buys of custom products - Dafuq?  You should know better.
60% keyboards, 100% of the time.

"What the hell Jimmy?!  It was ruined before you even put it up there with your decrepit fingers."

Offline Bromono

• Wanabe Cicerone
  • * Destiny Supporter
  • HHKB > Your Opinion
« Reply #153 on: Thu, 19 November 2015, 13:27:38 »
I just want the Manly Unicorn set.

Offline Niomosy

« Reply #154 on: Thu, 19 November 2015, 14:05:32 »
More sets are coming, more sets are being worked on.  PMK is working to get sets readily available. 

Reruns sans novelties are a good potential (assuming they're not already handled via the PMK system).

If I ever manage to get a successful set up, PMK will have full access to it so I don't have to worry about it and can let them deal with it while I move on.

All good.
« Last Edit: Thu, 19 November 2015, 14:51:08 by Niomosy »

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Björkö.
« Reply #155 on: Thu, 19 November 2015, 16:04:11 »

For the new people - Group buys seem limited because the order size sets the number of products produced.  This means all GBs will be limited to a degree.  If a GB organizer wishes to run something ONCE and keep it from being produced after the fact then it is in their right as the designer/organizer.  Quit your *****ing.

For people who are entrenched members of any community with group buys of custom products - Dafuq?  You should know better.

Offline Oobly

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #156 on: Fri, 20 November 2015, 02:58:28 »

:D
Buying more keycaps,
it really hacks my wallet,
but I must have them.