Author Topic: How do you feel about one-run only "limited edition" sets?  (Read 19785 times)

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Björkö.
Re: How do you feel about one-run only "limited edition" sets?
« Reply #50 on: Sat, 14 November 2015, 13:45:38 »
The only reason to be stuck in trying to get a limited edition set is the notion that there will not be anything comparable or even better, ever, it is an attitude ingrained in the notion of scarcity; instead, to think that we are living a golden season for keyboard aficionados with many options to get into GBs or buy some nice sets from a fellow, could open our awareness that if you have missed a nice set, one even better would come.

Offline njbair

• I love the Powerglove. It's so bad.
    • nickbair.net
« Reply #51 on: Sat, 14 November 2015, 15:16:57 »
Could you all please post your GB counts (from IC to completion) as I think this is very relevant. If a person has not participated in the process, it would be hard for them to completely understand what I'm talking about here.

Group Buys that we have participated in (as opposed to organizing)?  More than I care to count. 

But I haven't organized one yet.
Let me guess, still waiting for a mod to approve your GB thread? Been there, man.

Alpine Winter GB | My Personal TMK Firmware Repo
IBM Rubber Band "Floss" Mod | Click Modding Alps 101 | Flame-Polishing Cherry MX Stems
Review: hasu's USB to USB converter
My boards:
More
AEKII 60% | Alps64 HHKB | Ducky Shine 3, MX Blues | IBM Model M #1391401, Nov. 1990 | IBM SSK #1391472, Nov. 1987, screw modded, rubber-band modded | Noppoo EC108-Pro, 45g | Infinity 60% v2 Hacker, Matias Quiet Pros | Infinity 60% v2 Standard, MX Browns | Cherry G80-1800LPCEU-2, MX Blacks | Cherry G80-1813 (Dolch), MX Blues | Unicomp M-122, ANSI-modded | Unicomp M-122 (Unsaver mod in progress) | 2x Unitek K-258, White Alps | Apple boards (IIGS, AEKII) | Varmilo VA87MR, Gateron Blacks | Filco Zero TKL, Fukka White Alps | Planck, Gateron Browns | Monarch, click-modded Cream Alps

Offline zslane

« Reply #52 on: Sat, 14 November 2015, 15:57:00 »
The only reason to be stuck in trying to get a limited edition set is the notion that there will not be anything comparable or even better, ever, it is an attitude ingrained in the notion of scarcity; instead, to think that we are living a golden season for keyboard aficionados with many options to get into GBs or buy some nice sets from a fellow, could open our awareness that if you have missed a nice set, one even better would come.

I see what you're saying. I also think there is another perspective to consider. I don't have a crystal ball, and I can't bet on a "better one" that doesn't, and may never, exist. I can really only make an informed decision today based on what is available today (or is known to become available in the near future).

When I look at all the custom keysets that have come out over the last five years (roughly?), there are darn few I would care to put on my keyboards. That indicates to me that my tastes are particular enough that the odds of sets coming along that I will like better than the ones I am jonesing for now, are rather slim. Moreover, until recently I didn't have any nice keysets on my keyboards. I didn't have anything to hold me over until my Round 5a caps became a reality. It was a situation that needed immediate relief and, consequently, required that I go hunt down previous sets that are no longer in production.

Any newcomer to the world of mech keyboards and custom keycap sets will be in the same boat. And the lack of availability of a set you do like can't always be assuaged with the hope that something better will come along some day. We newbies need caps now, not six months from now, not a year from now, and not in some indeterminate future.

I now have four lovely sets on various keyboards, and my intense need to be typing on such things is satisfied for now. I can sit back and wait for Round 5a in peace. But that was not always the case, and making anything limited edition just puts up needless barriers for newbies who have the misfortune to fall in love with something so highly and unnecessarily collectible as, say, Pulse. Whose to say they'll ever find something they like better? Such hope could be forlorn for many.

Offline HoffmanMyster

• HOFF, smol MAN OF MYSTERY
  • * Senior Moderator
« Reply #53 on: Sat, 14 November 2015, 16:40:26 »
Could you all please post your GB counts (from IC to completion) as I think this is very relevant. If a person has not participated in the process, it would be hard for them to completely understand what I'm talking about here.

Group Buys that we have participated in (as opposed to organizing)?  More than I care to count. 

But I haven't organized one yet.
Let me guess, still waiting for a mod to approve your GB thread? Been there, man.

http://i.imgur.com/KPAqB2j.gif

Ouch!  :P

Offline Oobly

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #54 on: Sat, 14 November 2015, 17:00:50 »
@zslane:

First off, a colourway is not a set design. Secondly, copyright is not the same as design right. You're correct, in the US designs sit in a grey area between copyright and patent, but you can get a design patent if you want to spend money to get protection, which is ridiculous for a keycap set design.

But regardless, SP respects designs and even goes to the length of having the designer sign documents about their use of the design. It's recognised by the manufacturer and that's enough.

And you're right, SP would decide based on their own agenda... which will likely be to not run the controversial set. This is in their best interests, since if designers feel that SP doesn't respect them or their work, they won't run their designs through SP any more. Basic business.

And there are many ways around a situation like this. Designers can be a touchy bunch, but in every situation I can think of of a design copy accusation, they can reach a compromise that satisifies them. A change of shades of the colour, usually to better match the inspiration, colour layout changes, profile change, etc are usually enough to differentiate a design so the original designer is okay with the other set. If compromise can't be reached, then either the design really is too similar to the original and going through with the GB would be a mistake as the majority of the community would likely boycott the design (or not be interested if they bought the original) and SP probably won't run it, or the original designer is simply being an ass. In which case, they're the ones who'll have a problem, since they'll be losing the support of a large portion of the community.

In the end it's not legal, it's managed by members of a community, and fortunately one in which (most) fellow members respect each other and their work. So this hypothetical situation you're talking about that has never come up in all the time of people designing and running sets, is pointless.

Anyhow, this rights stuff is all off-topic.

About sets that you truly like never coming round, there is of course a very simple solution: Design your own set. If the set is really worth wanting, you're probably not the only one wanting it. Design it, start an IC and see how it goes. If exactly what you want has been run before and it's the one you truly have to have, then be patient and you'll eventually be able to get it through classifieds or mechmarket. Even PuLSE has had some come up for resale.

I've said it once and I'll say it again: "Community designed sets are not, and should not be mass-produced and mass-market products" for the simple reason that the mass market will not buy them. They're a niche product for a niche community.

And we are indeed living in a golden era for keycap enthusiasts with new (good) set designs popping up all the time.
Buying more keycaps,
it really hacks my wallet,
but I must have them.

Offline swimmingbird

• * Elevated Elder
  • keyset hoarder
« Reply #55 on: Sat, 14 November 2015, 17:37:37 »
We newbies need caps now, not six months from now, not a year from now, and not in some indeterminate future.

It's funny that you say this - when I was new I followed the exact same thinking patterns that you are now - "all the keycap sets need to be rerun!" - I'd say something altruistic about it but it was really just because I wanted them for myself.

Wait till you have a few keysets under your belt and I think your tune will change as your priorities shift from "having everything" to "Wow I bought a crap load of stuff  - I hope it maintains it's value"

Aside from this debate I personally think that it makes keyboards more interesting as a hobby when things are not readily available. I get genuinely excited when I see a set of Soware come up on the classifieds or the mad rush trying to be one of the 25 to score a TGR Jane CE. If everything is readily available it would get very boring very quickly.

The trade-oriented nature of getting stuff in the community is something that contributes heavily to having an actual sense of community - you help people out in getting something and they help you out and you make good friends in the process. It's this reason that I really hate the idea of everything being redone and redone more than any sort of artificial scarcity/driving prices up.

Offline Niomosy

« Reply #56 on: Sat, 14 November 2015, 18:57:53 »
If the mechanical keyboard world continues to grow, we will likely see more aspects of it become readily available as businesses look to cash in on those markets.  That's just the nature of business.

You can already see it happening.  Mech boards are available in a number of options.  Full, TKL, 75%, and 60% boards are pretty easily had now with even Fry's and Best Buy carrying the full and TKL boards.  The others are easily had from one of at least a few different websites where they had ready inventory.  The same with caps where doubleshot PBT caps can be found on Ebay at most any time and even Amazon carries various Cherry compatible caps.  PMK seems to have ready cap availability in mind for their site which will bring further commodification of the keyboard world as businesses continue to enter into that market and capitalize on areas missing in mass availability.

Personally, I'm happy to see increased ready availability of products for people.  Easy entry into market for the masses is perfectly fine with me.  The keyboard community will just find some new niche or another to jump into.

Offline zslane

« Reply #57 on: Sat, 14 November 2015, 20:08:24 »
The scenario I think might one day challenge the status quo is one in which a colorway that matches a previous one is proposed out of frustration at the original designer's unwillingness to allow the original set to be re-run. This isn't a case of accidentally matching a colorway, or even a case of trying to compete with a currently available colorway. This would be a case in which a designer's self-annointed right of refusal becomes a catalyst for a copycat design. A group of buyers say, "We want this colorway," and one individual replies, "No, you can't have it." And the discussion is expected to end there, and when it doesn't, controversy and much needless community debate will ensue. Maybe it hasn't happened yet, but I don't think it is "silly" to think it could.

Now I agree that it isn't feasible to try and sell custom keycaps to the masses simply due to the fact that, as Oobly points out, the masses aren't interested. But that's not what I'm advocating. I'm advocating for a sales mechanism where by anyone who is interested in buying a set can do so, at any time (subject to SP's inventory levels and manufacturing schedules). This community shouldn't be a place where members gather to buy and sell and trade their collections as the only means of obtaining what they want. That's a collector's mentality and not everyone is here to be a collector.

And let's all realize that custom keycaps sets that cost $100+ will never be a mass-market item. This will always be a tiny niche market no matter how fancy keyboards appear to get in places like Fry's or Best Buy. Let's not fool ourselves into thinking that these bits of plastic will ever be so commodified that you'll see sets like SA Retro on keyboards in every cubicle. No matter how open you make availability, it will still be so incredibly niche that everyone ought to still feel quite "special".

Offline swimmingbird

• * Elevated Elder
  • keyset hoarder
« Reply #58 on: Sat, 14 November 2015, 20:20:52 »
The scenario I think might one day challenge the status quo is one in which a colorway that matches a previous one is proposed out of frustration at the original designer's unwillingness to allow the original set to be re-run. This isn't a case of accidentally matching a colorway, or even a case of trying to compete with a currently available colorway. This would be a case in which a designer's self-annointed right of refusal becomes a catalyst for a copycat design. A group of buyers say, "We want this colorway," and one individual replies, "No, you can't have it." And the discussion is expected to end there, and when it doesn't, controversy and much needless community debate will ensue. Maybe it hasn't happened yet, but I don't think it is "silly" to think it could.

Now I agree that it isn't feasible to try and sell custom keycaps to the masses simply due to the fact that, as Oobly points out, the masses aren't interested. But that's not what I'm advocating. I'm advocating for a sales mechanism where by anyone who is interested in buying a set can do so, at any time (subject to SP's inventory levels and manufacturing schedules). This community shouldn't be a place where members gather to buy and sell and trade their collections as the only means of obtaining what they want. That's a collector's mentality and not everyone is here to be a collector.

And let's all realize that custom keycaps sets that cost $100+ will never be a mass-market item. This will always be a tiny niche market no matter how fancy keyboards appear to get in places like Fry's or Best Buy. Let's not fool ourselves into thinking that these bits of plastic will ever be so commodified that you'll see sets like SA Retro on keyboards in every cubicle. No matter how open you make availability, it will still be so incredibly niche that everyone ought to still feel quite "special".

I don't think the scenario you outlined in the first case is ever going to happen.
Everyone on the community who runs GBs tends to be pretty cool and the people who are diecore enough to actually try and organise a GB for someone else's design against their wishes is probably going to have a pretty hard time making the numbers in the community.

The more likely scenario is that people will simply scour the classifieds until they get a set and then they will totally forget about ever running a GB for it

Offline jdcarpe

• * Curator
  • Live long, and prosper.
« Reply #59 on: Sat, 14 November 2015, 21:42:03 »
The level of entitlement is strong in this thread. A little patience and engagement with the community will go a long way around here. Coming in and acting like you should get everything you want whenever you want it? Well, good luck with that.
KMAC :: LZ-GH :: WASD CODE :: WASD v2 :: GH60 :: Alps64 :: JD45 :: IBM Model M :: IBM 4704 "Pingmaster"

http://jd40.info :: http://jd45.info

in memoriam

"When I was a kid, I used to take things apart and never put them back together."

Offline Niomosy

« Reply #60 on: Sat, 14 November 2015, 21:43:59 »
For me it's not a matter of entitlement.  It's witnessing the growth of readily available items for the mechanical keyboard market.  Immediate availability of a number of items is already here.  That seems to be growing.  Certainly in the case of key caps, Signature Plastics is working toward being able to produce sets ahead of orders to have for ready purchase on their site.  We may well see more of this in the future.
« Last Edit: Sat, 14 November 2015, 21:58:12 by Niomosy »

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Björkö.
« Reply #61 on: Sat, 14 November 2015, 22:21:43 »
WTB threads at the classifieds asking to buy LE sets almost never make generous offers for what they are asking; it appears people want to get LE sets but they are hoping that those that supported the original buys should offer their sets at GB prices. If you cannot wait for the next nice set that may fit your preferences, then just make a generous offer that may move some owners to reconsider to sell their special sets.

There are awesome boards with extra special sets and when I see pictures of them I always wonder how much the fellow owner has paid for all that and for how long she was hunting for the parts and caps, and in most cases that would be over four or more hundred bucks and months if not years of searching, so if I want to have something similar I should be willing to spend the money and time needed, or keep my invested low and buy what it is readily available and live with it.

Offline swimmingbird

• * Elevated Elder
  • keyset hoarder
« Reply #62 on: Sat, 14 November 2015, 23:29:34 »
The level of entitlement is strong in this thread. A little patience and engagement with the community will go a long way around here. Coming in and acting like you should get everything you want whenever you want it? Well, good luck with that.

Yup. The only type of people that make these sorts of posts tend to be fairly new and low on the post count

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #63 on: Sun, 15 November 2015, 00:26:32 »

Yup. The only type of people that make these sorts of posts tend to be fairly new and low on the post count

Some people join because they have seen a picture of someone's keyboard somewhere with a particular keycap set, and they wish to duplicate the result, or at least something similar.

Many are surprised how difficult it can be to obtain a certain keycap set, or a particular artisan keycap.
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline Karura

• Professional Canadian
  • * Destiny Supporter
  • SKidata life.
« Reply #64 on: Sun, 15 November 2015, 01:48:30 »
I agree with the sentiment that including first-run only stuff is a good idea, while keeping future re-runs open-ended is a good idea.

Another thing to note, I realize that this is only a SP issue, as GMK is extremely tough to meet MOQ, and even meeting the MOQ for the first run is already quite difficult. For example, I doubt SKIDATA+ will ever get re-run, but I put in the effort to create Relegendables, which I doubt will ever get made again, due to MOQ; however, if someone decides to run it again, there is no chance of seeing Relegendables, maybe something like that?

That said, I want to point out that not only for keyboards, but I've been on the other end where I missed out on a very limited edition, or discontinued item, and be fortunate enough to acquire one later when the company decides to reissue a small quantity.

I feel that under the circumstances that:
1) There wasn't enough time to place an order.
2) The quantity offered was too little despite the demand.

Perhaps it is fair to do a re-run, as long as it isn't a constantly recurring theme *cough* Granite*. Just my 2cents, but I see benefits to both sides of the argument, and agree with offering a first-run-only special novelty or something pack. :thumb:

"Remember boys, raccoon cold... don't worry, raccoon will find cave." -Sent

Offline Niomosy

« Reply #65 on: Sun, 15 November 2015, 02:55:39 »
We are all guilty of low post counts at some point in our lives.  Hopefully those of you senior level posters with your high post counts will be as patient enough with the forum youngsters as you are with waiting for keysets ;)

That said, I feel I've been part of our push astray from Oobly's original topic so I'll do my part to help get us back in line.

Oobly, first I apologize for my contributions to getting us off-topic.  Second, to answer your question, I've been here a few years (several?  I'd need to check) and have participated (purchased product) in only a single group buy.  In my years here only two or three other GBs have particularly interested me and for both, I wasn't even fully sold on them until after the run was done.  One of those three I've subsequently lost interest in and have been more content to miss out on.  To be honest, I've not really lost sleep over missing out on either deal.

As to your proposed solution, I think I've responded to that but subsequent runs of them minus novelties would certainly be something to consider.  The other thing is if MoQs can actually be met.  Certain sets could certainly go this route.  It seems like the PMK idea of doing additional small runs may work well for several sets.  In many cases, buyers were on the fence and sat out of the initial buy only to regret it later once the product was in peoples hands and pictures were being posted. 

@karura - this is mostly for SP at the moment but I'm curious to see how that will play out with a newcomer like JTK as well.  Certainly JTK is already becoming a consideration as an alternative to GMK given the MoQ issues you've pointed out.  I'm wondering what kind of potential we have there for smaller MoQs to allow for additional runs.  I recall matt3o also mentioning that he has a maker lined up for his work-in-progress tall spherical PBT keycaps.  We might have potential there for small MoQs as well.  Certainly exciting times for keycaps in general.

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Björkö.
« Reply #66 on: Sun, 15 November 2015, 08:19:58 »
JTK is not taking custom orders yet and it may not do that ever, because they are tightly intertwined with a particular vendor that is known to be very creative and has the support of the community, therefore they may have a long, long, long pipeline of ideas for sets to be offered.

Offline tronbeaver

« Reply #67 on: Sun, 15 November 2015, 09:31:22 »

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Björkö.
« Reply #68 on: Sun, 15 November 2015, 09:38:20 »
Thank you for the reference on KK, the prices are not that bad; but, I wonder if a $95 set may compete with a one hundred something GMK.

Offline zslane

« Reply #69 on: Sun, 15 November 2015, 12:25:44 »
Fair enough.

I get it. My perspective isn't going to get much traction here, and that's okay. I'm not really campaigning for myself at this point. I have (or will have) all the keycap sets I want and so don't have any skin in the game (as a buyer, anyway). I'm mostly thinking of all the newbies to come who will have the needlessly frustrating experience I had. And it is they I will be thinking of when I endeavor to make SA Dasher as widely available and easily obtainable as possible (assuming, of course, it draws enough interest to get run in the first place). I think it would be incredibly cool to see SA Dasher everywhere, not just in the sub-reddit streams of a fortunate few who knew about it--and had the funds for it--during a single "limited" run.

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Björkö.
« Reply #70 on: Sun, 15 November 2015, 12:35:08 »
Fair enough.

I get it. My perspective isn't going to get much traction here, and that's okay. I'm not really campaigning for myself at this point. I have (or will have) all the keycap sets I want and so don't have any skin in the game (as a buyer, anyway). I'm mostly thinking of all the newbies to come who will have the needlessly frustrating experience I had. And it is they I will be thinking of when I endeavor to make SA Dasher as widely available and easily obtainable as possible (assuming, of course, it draws enough interest to get run in the first place). I think it would be incredibly cool to see SA Dasher everywhere, not just in the sub-reddit streams of a fortunate few who knew about it--and had the funds for it--during a single "limited" run.

Another SA set? Um, well, an SA would hardly be a LE.

Offline Niomosy

« Reply #71 on: Sun, 15 November 2015, 12:42:39 »
JTK is not taking custom orders yet and it may not do that ever, because they are tightly intertwined with a particular vendor that is known to be very creative and has the support of the community, therefore they may have a long, long, long pipeline of ideas for sets to be offered.

I suppose we'll have to see how that plays out.  JTK is heavily associated with a particular vendor and there are already planned sets for JTK to run.  They do seem to be lining up a good amount of business as you've noted.

As to GMK versus JTK, I think people have at least been willing thus far to give JTK a try.  GMK has a known high MoQ so smaller sets may not end up with much of a choice. 
« Last Edit: Sun, 15 November 2015, 12:47:10 by Niomosy »

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Björkö.
« Reply #72 on: Sun, 15 November 2015, 12:46:24 »

I suppose we'll have to see how that plays out.  JTK is heavily associated with a particular vendor and there are already planned sets for JTK to run.  They do seem to be lining up a good amount of business as you've noted. 

As to GMK versus JTK, I think people have at least been willing thus far to give JTK a try.  GMK has a known high MoQ so smaller sets may not end up with much of a choice.

If they keep prices low for GBs it would be interesting to explore their offerings, as long as designs are attractive and creative. But they should improve quality.

Offline Niomosy

« Reply #73 on: Sun, 15 November 2015, 12:59:50 »

If they keep prices low for GBs it would be interesting to explore their offerings, as long as designs are attractive and creative. But they should improve quality.

Low prices will certainly make JTK more attractive.  That and an expanded range of color would make them additionally enticing for designers that need colors beyond what GMK offers. 

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Björkö.
« Reply #74 on: Sun, 15 November 2015, 13:03:14 »

Low prices will certainly make JTK more attractive.  That and an expanded range of color would make them additionally enticing for designers that need colors beyond what GMK offers.

Only if they are open to make others' designs instead of only their own ones.

Offline Niomosy

« Reply #75 on: Sun, 15 November 2015, 13:27:35 »
Manly Unicorn is being planned for JTK though it's through JTK's associate here.  That might still offer designers some ability to use JTK.  You're right that there are still a lot of unknowns with regard to JTK.

Offline jdcarpe

• * Curator
« Reply #76 on: Sun, 15 November 2015, 14:40:48 »

If you're talking about [CTRL]ALT, they actually want to run group buys for others. They ran my Hack'd set, so that I could concentrate on the set design, and they took care of the logistics. As far as I know, they actually want this to be part of what they offer...a group buy service for organizers which is manufacturer agnostic.
KMAC :: LZ-GH :: WASD CODE :: WASD v2 :: GH60 :: Alps64 :: JD45 :: IBM Model M :: IBM 4704 "Pingmaster"

in memoriam

"When I was a kid, I used to take things apart and never put them back together."

Offline Badwrench

• * Destiny Supporter
  • ummmm.....I forgot
« Reply #77 on: Sun, 15 November 2015, 15:05:02 »
Manly Unicorn is being planned for JTK though it's through JTK's associate here.  That might still offer designers some ability to use JTK.  You're right that there are still a lot of unknowns with regard to JTK.

If you're talking about [CTRL]ALT, they actually want to run group buys for others. They ran my Hack'd set, so that I could concentrate on the set design, and they took care of the logistics. As far as I know, they actually want this to be part of what they offer...a group buy service for organizers which is manufacturer agnostic.

Exactly.  The addition of JTK has opened up another avenue for more interesting designs that will be attainable for a reasonable cost as compared to GMK.  JD's Hack'd set and hopefully Nubbinator's Manly Unicorn are great starts to CTRL ALT's philosophy of getting the most forum driven designs into the hands of the most people.  As far as missing the GBs, that is total blind luck as to when you get into this hobby and how deep your wallet is.  There are currently several sets that are up or just ended, and any of them may end up in this "limited edition" condition you are talking about.  The Pulse set when it was first being designed had a strong following, but right as the GB was going through, the organizer turned into an ass to the community that helped build it and as a result, very few of the proposed buyers actually purchased it.  Result = "limited edition". 

Being part of the community and having a very large amount of patience will make these "limited edition" sets be a very attainable thing.  Post count should be a moot thing.  If you are passionate about this hobby, just post and enjoy it for what it is.  Take part in group buys that are current if you are interested in the set.  Know that one day after you have attained a few sets, the desire to own them all will diminish and you will be more contend.  There are very few keysets that lose value in that our hobby is very much a supply/demand thing and the larger it grows, the more the demand. 
wut. i'd buy a ****ty IBM board for that green V2

Offline Oobly

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #78 on: Sun, 15 November 2015, 15:38:51 »
Lots of good posts in the thread, thank you for all your opinions.

I agree that post count doesn't mean anything, really, my request about GB participation is relevant to the discussion in that participation in a GB from start to finish will give a person a better understanding of the process and what's involved, including what a designer does throughout and the more they participate in the better understanding they could have, especially if they're with different manufacturers, GB systems and designers.

I've bought sets through "traditional" user organised methods, the old PMK, Massdrop and [Ctrl]Alt, with a range of designers and manufacturers (GMK, Gateron, Signature Plastics) and feel I have a decent grip on the processes involved. I'm also co-designing a set to be run through SP at some point and have a lot of contact with SP regarding various projects. Part of the point of the thread is to guage opinions for deciding how to run some future designs of my own and to confirm / bust some of my own suppositions. We're pretty sure how we'll run Clasic Space already.

I find it a really exciting time to be involved in the hobby and all the main manufacturers seem to have started paying more attention to the community as it's growing, with new manufacturers getting involved, too. I'm hoping to have some effect in increasing the possibilities and options for designers with SP and making designers more aware of all the options as well.

Again, thanks to all for your participation and please keep the opinions coming. The more info we have the better. Hopefully it can be an informative thread for people, too.
Buying more keycaps,
but I must have them.

Offline zslane

« Reply #79 on: Sun, 15 November 2015, 16:06:14 »
Fair enough.

Another SA set? Um, well, an SA would hardly be a LE.

Hmm. The title of this thread seems to equate "one-run only" with "limited edition". If so, then were I to allow SA Dasher to only be run once it would be LE, by Ooby's definition anyway. Unless I am misunderstanding what he means by "limited edition" and the connection he seems to be making between it and a set that is "one-run only".

Offline zslane

« Reply #80 on: Sun, 15 November 2015, 16:15:39 »
So Oobly, how would you characterize the advantages and disadvantages of each keyset delivery site/vehicle that we have now?

Offline njbair

• I love the Powerglove. It's so bad.
    • nickbair.net
« Reply #81 on: Sun, 15 November 2015, 21:41:59 »
So Oobly, how would you characterize the advantages and disadvantages of each keyset delivery site/vehicle that we have now?
I'll take a stab at this.

PMK, although recently under scrutiny for draconian terms of service, seems to have addressed those issues and positioned themselves to be the first no-wait purchasing platform for custom keycaps. How well that can actually work, though, remains to be seen.

Massdrop is the established player here. A Massdrop buy will get you big numbers, but recent events have shown that they also may not be the best choice for designers/buy organizers who wish to retain control of their own designs.

Community-run GBs are the best option for retaining control, but they are a lot of work and riskier for the buyer.

Alpine Winter GB | My Personal TMK Firmware Repo
IBM Rubber Band "Floss" Mod | Click Modding Alps 101 | Flame-Polishing Cherry MX Stems
Review: hasu's USB to USB converter
My boards:
More
AEKII 60% | Alps64 HHKB | Ducky Shine 3, MX Blues | IBM Model M #1391401, Nov. 1990 | IBM SSK #1391472, Nov. 1987, screw modded, rubber-band modded | Noppoo EC108-Pro, 45g | Infinity 60% v2 Hacker, Matias Quiet Pros | Infinity 60% v2 Standard, MX Browns | Cherry G80-1800LPCEU-2, MX Blacks | Cherry G80-1813 (Dolch), MX Blues | Unicomp M-122, ANSI-modded | Unicomp M-122 (Unsaver mod in progress) | 2x Unitek K-258, White Alps | Apple boards (IIGS, AEKII) | Varmilo VA87MR, Gateron Blacks | Filco Zero TKL, Fukka White Alps | Planck, Gateron Browns | Monarch, click-modded Cream Alps

Offline Niomosy

« Reply #82 on: Sun, 15 November 2015, 23:10:07 »
The PMK system is interesting though we've yet to see a set run through the new system.  We've discussed the flaws with their system at greater length in a post in the SP sub-forum.

As for MD, what's this on it not being the best choice for designers? 

Offline zslane

« Reply #83 on: Sun, 15 November 2015, 23:34:34 »
Assuming Oobly's changes are successfully implemented over at PMK, I wonder what the downside(s) would be in running a set through them. Is it really that difficult to reach interested buyers if you don't go through MassDrop?

Offline Niomosy

« Reply #84 on: Mon, 16 November 2015, 00:02:52 »
Right now, we don't really know how PMK will handle demand on what might be a very highly popular set.  Their system, at least as it was indicated by them, would allow you to put on an interest check.  Once that check hit a certain threshold it would go straight to production and be put up for sale on the PMK site.  Subsequent runs are done at the discretion of SP based on their wish list, at least last I recall.

What I think some of have noted from that is the lack of obtaining purchase commitment from people via pre-purchase.  Such a pre-purchase would give SP a better idea of how much to produce.  Simply triggering production from a from an IC with no monetary commitment means it could well be a small run.  In most cases, that's probably not an issue.  In the case of some of the very popular sets, there would be a lack of sets available to fulfill demand. 

I still think the basic idea of having readily-available sets is an excellent idea for SP to pursue.  They just seem to need some adjustments made to their system at the moment. 

Offline zslane

« Reply #85 on: Mon, 16 November 2015, 00:50:54 »
Given the number of months it takes for a set to go from drop to delivery through MassDrop, it is hard to imagine that the PMK system, whatever it becomes, would be any slower to fulfill demand. Or am I missing something?

Offline Niomosy

« Reply #86 on: Mon, 16 November 2015, 01:06:53 »
It shouldn't be any slower, actually, since they are eliminating the money collection prior to production.  The problem would likely be lack of quantity on popular sets.  If the set isn't tremendously popular, you can likely get onto PMK and buy at leisure.  On a popular set you might check the site only to find out that their initial run is sold out.  Missing the initial PMK run might put you into a longer wait than a massive run through MD. 

Offline Oobly

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #87 on: Mon, 16 November 2015, 02:31:15 »

Ooh.. that is the million dollar question. Right now, the new PMK is really a big unknown, although we can extrapolate from information we have as to how it will most likely work out.

This will be a big post, sorry in advance...

Massdrop is best for big numbers. Simply because it's a popular site which gives exposure to people outside of the DT / GH / /r/mech communities. And it's an easy platform to order from, with good visual layout, etc. So you get a lot of orders from people who see the set listed and think "I like that, gimme one". The costs involved are a bit higher than with PMK or self-organised GBs since MD have their own fee, but it's less hassle for organisers since MD take care of managing funds, creating the bulk order with SP and sorting and shipping. They've had some "bad press" for the method of shipping used for Triumph Adler, but subsequent sets have been packaged better. I'm not aware of any "control" issues, but perhaps someone like tombery, Data or livingspeedbump could give some more feedback in this regard, since their sets have been run through MD.

"Тraditional", self-organised GBs are lot of work and hassle for an organiser, but you get to control everything about the run and the costs are minimised. In some cases, proxies are arranged, too, which reduces the overall costs for foreign buyers, too. Most designers / organisers nowadays find this too much work, but there are still some who do it. Paypal have recently changed their system a bit which makes collecting payments for a self-run GB a PITA, though, since they are locking accounts.

The "new" PMK site is the wildcard right now. They have a few things which I think will not work very well, but some that could be very beneficial. They definitely should chage the "Interest Check" part of the process, at the very least in name, since that stage is more like the voting stage at MD or the actual taking orders stage. The true interest check is complete by the time a set gets to the PMK site, as confirmed by SP. They want the design ready for production before submission to them. They have already changed their "License and Royalties" terms after the feedback in the other mentioned thread and I have been in dialogue with Bob Guenser (owner of SP) about further "improvements". The biggest remaining problem with the current "IC" voting system is that they don't get an accurate view of the total number of people who will buy the set from that. Just a vague notion of if the set is popular or not. That's not enough information to accurately guage how many sets to make and they have a history of getting it wrong (with the old site). They need to change it to a time based system and make it an "intent to buy" / preorder request rather than an interest check to get real numbers of how many will buy it.

In terms of speed to production, it's largely dependent on how SP manages things. In a sense, large orders from MD can be seen as proper client orders and should be treated as such, which should mean they get precedence over "internal" SP / PMK orders. On the other hand, SP usually handle things with "slots", so when a new run is planned they reserve a production slot for the run in their queue. Let's assume that both would be managed the same way by SP, so both would get the same production slot if they were requested / reserved at the same time:

MD: IC is done on GH / DT / Reddit. Towards completion of the design, they contact MD, MD then opens a poll for the set. This can be done before the design is complete, but after a good portion is done, so people have a decent impression of the set. If after voting the set is desired by MD, they start to arrange the MD buy, including getting quotes from SP and requesting production slot and estimated date from them. MD may skip the vote / poll if they think the set will be popular and go straight to the sale stage. An important thing to note is that the design can be changed during the ordering stage of an MD buy, although most should be pretty much complete before the buy starts. This is important because if there is feedback during the buy that something is missing / incorrect, it can be fixed before the order is placed with SP (ideally this should happen at the IC stage, but with the larger audience of MD sometimes things are only noticed at this stage). Then the ordering starts and runs for a certain time period, after which the order is placed and estimated dates are updated to match the production numbers.

PMK: IC is done on GH / DT / Reddit. Once the design is complete and all kits finalised, the set can be submitted to the site. At their discretion, PMK will put the set up for votes. Once a certain number of votes is reached, they decide if they want to run the set or not. If they decide to, they reserve a production slot. Once the production run has started (or perhaps only once it's complete), they put the set up as a product on their online store. Note how the slot is only decided after the "IC" / voting stage and is completely at the discretion of SP. Note also how a person who wants the set cannot guarantee their place in the GB and needs to buy the set as a product only once production starts / finishes. It's also up to the designer to inform everyone at every stage what's going on. SP has no mechanism yet to inform people of the status of a set between submission and production or estimated production dates.

So if two sets get an IC started at the same time on GH, the one going through MD can get the production slot reserved sooner and thus will end up in your hands quicker. It also allows you to simply order it very soon after the design is completed / as it goes up on MD instead of having to wait for production to start and then quickly trying to buy it on PMK before they're sold out (which could well happen if they keep the current voting system).

I have already informed SP of my thoughts on these matters and suggested improvements to make it work better, but I'm considering adding yet another suggestion. It's very hard / practically impossible for them to judge how many of each child kit to make to go with the base set. You only really know these numbers after a set is run using MD or traditional methods. If they go ahead with the current system, it's likely they'll over / under produce the child kits and either some people won't get the kits they want (which they would through MD) or SP ends up with excess stock of kits they can't sell (which is just bad for the bottom line). If they were to change the "IC" on their site to a true "preorders" section, essentially the same as MD, they can collect your order there, including the child kits and you don't need to go back and "buy" it later. They then get the full picture of how many child kits to make for all preorders and that gives them an idea of how many extras to make. OR.... they could only offer the child kits with the preorders and simply make base kits (plus numpads) to sell as products on the store afterwards. This is akin to what I mentioned in the start of the thread, with all "special" caps only available in the preorders / GB stage.

Another problem is even if they know they should do another run of a set, unless orders for new sets stop coming in, they'll never get a slot for producing it. This has in fact happened with 1976. Their machines are constantly busy with sets ordered on MD and they can't fit the set in.

It's all a big unknown and it's not even settled / finalised yet, so most designers are happier to use MD right now, since it's at least familiar and they know they can get big numbers and guaranteed production of all ordered kits.
« Last Edit: Mon, 16 November 2015, 02:36:37 by Oobly »
Buying more keycaps,
but I must have them.

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Björkö.
« Reply #88 on: Mon, 16 November 2015, 09:48:06 »
The thread is very interesting but there are very few reference to the quality of the sets, a limited edition set should be very well made to stand to its nature of be special. MD has shown its limitations to oversee the quality aspect of the manufacturing, and it was very surprising that even GMK made sets had multiple defects, under MD. SP quality is also full of problems, like warping PBT dysub key caps and extremely thin walls in all profile but SA. Other vendors like JT are still in its learning curve.

Offline mobbo

• u fk
  • * Exquisite Elder
« Reply #89 on: Mon, 16 November 2015, 11:55:10 »
Can I make a comparison to the "newbie" argument here? I've had a few very strange, very expensive hobbies which have a collection component.

I completely sympathize with newcomers (like my self, in fact) who are trying to get into the game or are attracted to a certain keyset or look only to find out that it is nearly impossible to get. At the same time, you can't expect niche hobbies with a collection component to be accessible the same way regular merchandise is. Let's say I am starting out playing Magic the Gathering, as a newbie I want all the "rarest" cards so I can make a deck that is respectable and worth playing. You usually can't just go to the store and buy these whenever you please, they are rare and scarce, and it takes time to build the resources and connections needed to get what you are looking for. Now why does this matter? Well to me it matters because of which audience these niche hobbies are trying to cater to.

The reality is that it is the hard working, dedicated members of the community who keep it alive. Not the newcomers. Newcommers help the community to grow, and eventually they will indeed be able to contribute in a meaningful way!  But no newcomer is going to run a Group Buy, or spend months doing interest checks and constantly trying to perfect their design to be accepted by the community, or make artisan moulds in their kitchen during their very sparse free time. Like any hobby, it is those that have the passion to pour content back into the community that keep it thriving - and hopefully their contributions will make it easier for others to enter into said hobby (and the mk community is growing fast). I know I'd be completely lost without the wealth of information and pictures/videos that people have posted to date. 

I don't know if that is the best example but that's the way I've always viewed things. I like limited edition sets but I also approach this hobby with somewhat of a collectors lens, and that lens may be different for different people. What I think is strange when reading some of these comments is the issue of "intent." I doubt a set designer chooses to make a set exclusive for the sole reason of increasing market demand or to retain value. I think a lot of assumptions are made based on the outcome, but how many people have actually talked to the designers before judging their past work based on current market context? Heck, it could be they just didn't want to go through the process of serving hundreds of ungrateful, impatient people again. And even if they simply wanted the set to be "special" and "rare" I don't think there's anything wrong with wanting something you created with your own mind (or hands) to be special!

TL;DR: Yes limited sets are sometimes frustrating for newbies like me. However keep in mind that this is a hobby that is indeed very friendly to newbies - but it does not cater to them! Like any niche hobby, it wouldn't be fun if everything was easy to obtain. If you do not care about the artistic/aesthetic aspect and are purely pragmatic in your use of keyboards - then limited edition sets shouldn't even be on your radar. 
« Last Edit: Mon, 16 November 2015, 11:59:44 by mobbo »
Quote from: Binge
crumping is like twerking but it's all about getting low with force.

Offline jdcarpe

• * Curator
« Reply #90 on: Mon, 16 November 2015, 12:00:04 »
[SNIP]

WELL SAID. Thank you very much for this well thought out, informative post!

in memoriam

Offline Waateva

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #91 on: Mon, 16 November 2015, 12:06:23 »
Can I make a comparison to the "newbie" argument here? I've had a few very strange, very expensive hobbies which have a collection component.

I completely sympathize with newcomers (like my self, in fact) who are trying to get into the game or are attracted to a certain keyset or look only to find out that it is nearly impossible to get. At the same time, you can't expect niche hobbies with a collection component to be accessible the same way regular merchandise is. Let's say I am starting out playing Magic the Gathering, as a newbie I want all the "rarest" cards so I can make a deck that is respectable and worth playing. You usually can't just go to the store and buy these whenever you please, they are rare and scarce, and it takes time to build the resources and connections needed to get what you are looking for. Now why does this matter? Well to me it matters because of which audience these niche hobbies are trying to cater to.

The reality is that it is the hard working, dedicated members of the community who keep it alive. Not the newcomers. Newcommers help the community to grow, and eventually they will indeed be able to contribute in a meaningful way!  But no newcomer is going to run a Group Buy, or spend months doing interest checks and constantly trying to perfect their design to be accepted by the community, or make artisan moulds in their kitchen during their very sparse free time. Like any hobby, it is those that have the passion to pour content back into the community that keep it thriving - and hopefully their contributions will make it easier for others to enter into said hobby (and the mk community is growing fast). I know I'd be completely lost without the wealth of information and pictures/videos that people have posted to date. 

I don't know if that is the best example but that's the way I've always viewed things. I like limited edition sets but I also approach this hobby with somewhat of a collectors lens, and that lens may be different for different people. What I think is strange when reading some of these comments is the issue of "intent." I doubt a set designer chooses to make a set exclusive for the sole reason of increasing market demand or to retain value. I think a lot of assumptions are made based on the outcome, but how many people have actually talked to the designers before judging their past work based on current market context? Heck, it could be they just didn't want to go through the process of serving hundreds of ungrateful, impatient people again. And even if they simply wanted the set to be "special" and "rare" I don't think there's anything wrong with wanting something you created with your own mind (or hands) to be special!

TL;DR: Yes limited sets are sometimes frustrating for newbies like me. However keep in mind that this is a hobby that is very friendly to newbies - but it does not cater to them! Like any niche hobby, it wouldn't be fun if everything was easy to obtain. If you do not care about the artistic/aesthetic aspect and are purely pragmatic in your use of keyboards - then limited edition sets shouldn't even be on your radar.

Good explanation, I think that the comparison to MTG is pretty accurate.  I'm also pretty new to the mech. keyboard modding community and looking at cool sets that I will never own definitely sucks, but the people who purchased those sets were active at the time of their release and spent the time, money, and energy on that set so therefore should be rewarded for that.

I don't have many things that would be considered collectible to others, but I do have a League of Legends account that I have owned since beta, and because of that I have some pretty rare and even extremely rare skins that a lot of new people coming into LoL might really like and might want re-issued.  I have seen quite a few discussions online of people complaining that they will never get the chance to own these skins which isn't "fair" and it isn't, but hobbies are not fair a lot of the times and that is something you need to be aware of coming into a specific hobby.

For keysets, as others in this thread have pointed out, there are new sets coming out all of the time now.  So while you might've missed out on a certain set you like, there will always be more coming down the road so you can either pay the premium price for a LE or discontinued set or just wait to see if it gets re-issued or if something similar to it comes out.
Duck Blackbird - Gaterstotles /// O'Mira - V Blacks /// LZ GH v2 - V Clears /// Leopold FC980C /// TGR Jane CE v2 (unbuilt) /// Lin Dolphin 2021 (unbuilt)

Offline jdcarpe

• * Curator
« Reply #92 on: Mon, 16 November 2015, 12:23:22 »
looking at cool sets that I will never own definitely sucks...

Don't be so sure about that. I just sold some "rare" or limited release keycap sets to fund a major purchase. You will never know if you can obtain something unless you ask for it. Like someone said in this very thread, if you offer a good price for something rare, and don't expect to get it at original cost, you might be surprised what you can obtain.

in memoriam

Offline Oobly

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #93 on: Mon, 16 November 2015, 12:40:20 »
[SNIP]

WELL SAID. Thank you very much for this well thought out, informative post!

+1! Very good post!
Buying more keycaps,
but I must have them.

Offline Niomosy

« Reply #94 on: Mon, 16 November 2015, 12:53:43 »
Oobly, once again you and I agree on the quantity issues regarding the SP/PMK system as it stands.  They very much need a financial commitment system in place to determine demand.  At a minimum, a backorder system would be good to at least get them demand for the 2nd run.  That would be not unlike what many other companies do today.

As for the newcomers, there are newcomers of all sorts but I wouldn't say that newcomers are and are not doing certain things.  We've already witnessed one relative newcomer put up what is already becoming a successful group buy on MassDrop in the Troubled Minds set and have two other newcomers working on sets as well; in fact, one of those newcomers' first post was the IC thread start. 

Offline mobbo

• u fk
  • * Exquisite Elder
« Reply #95 on: Mon, 16 November 2015, 13:06:04 »
As for the newcomers, there are newcomers of all sorts but I wouldn't say that newcomers are and are not doing certain things.  We've already witnessed one relative newcomer put up what is already becoming a successful group buy on MassDrop in the Troubled Minds set and have two other newcomers working on sets as well; in fact, one of those newcomers' first post was the IC thread start.

I definitely didn't want to come across as saying that newcomers don't offer/do anything. Hopefully I'll be able to give back to the community in some way as well - just like those you have mentioned!

I just wanted to make a point that if you don't dive in deep, it will be hard to enjoy or appreciate a lot of things with the "I'm new and I want this now" mentality, simply because the hobby does not cater to that perspective (and I don't just mean ideologically...I mean practically as well). It wasn't really a statement about any individuals but rather the hobby as a whole, which is why I tried to compare it to something similar.

Offline zslane

« Reply #96 on: Mon, 16 November 2015, 13:07:06 »
The comparison with MTG isn't quite right since the quantity of every card manufactured is carefully determined for collectibility and a degree of "play balance". These are concerns unique to the CCG industry, an industry that was reviled during its early inception and then tolerated by traditional gamers primarily because it helped keep the dying adventure gaming industry alive during an economic down-cycle (and then embraced by them because, well, the game became addictive for many, myself not included as I'm sure you can guess.)

Sure, custom keycaps have a small degree of collectibility to them, but that is mostly due to their nature as a niche product category with very small production runs. It shouldn't be because designers and/or manufacturers are going out of their way to make them collectible. Anything that can be done to make them more widely available should be done. We shouldn't have to resign ourselves to this idea that, oh well, these things are for collectors, I guess I will have to become one just to get that lovely keycap set I see photos of on Pinterest.

Offline mobbo

• u fk
  • * Exquisite Elder
« Reply #97 on: Mon, 16 November 2015, 13:16:07 »
The comparison with MTG isn't quite right since the quantity of every card manufactured is carefully determined for collectibility and a degree of "play balance". These are concerns unique to the CCG industry, an industry that was reviled during its early inception and then tolerated by traditional gamers primarily because it helped keep the dying adventure gaming industry alive during an economic down-cycle (and then embraced by them because, well, the game became addictive for many, myself not included as I'm sure you can guess.)

Sure, custom keycaps have a small degree of collectibility to them, but that is mostly due to their nature as a niche product category with very small production runs. It shouldn't be because designers and/or manufacturers are going out of their way to make them collectible. Anything that can be done to make them more widely available should be done. We shouldn't have to resign ourselves to this idea that, oh well, these things are for collectors, I guess I will have to become one just to get that lovely keycap set I see photos of on Pinterest.

Okay, maybe it wasn't the best example then...but what about limited edition applied to something more general. Let's use shoes as an example since it is both something practical like keyboards, but could also have a collector's component.

Should anything that can be done to make rare Jordans more widely available be done? I mean what if I really like this one pair of rare Jordans but I don't want to resign myself to the idea that "damn that's for collectors, I guess I need to become one to have it"? I think if you truly want it and like it, then you'll do what you need to get it and that product will feel very special once you finally obtain it (and it will probably sit in your closet forever) :)) To me the journey is more fun than the destination.

This is just the way I view things perhaps. Not everything can be made widely available to everyone - and I am not remarking on the "should" aspect of it btw, just the "could." I would love for the rare things I desire to be widely available! Heck as someone who lives in practically rural Canada I would like for even some common things found in major cities to be made available!

I really am not trying to play devil's advocate or anything! I would just like to hear your perspective.

Offline zslane

« Reply #98 on: Mon, 16 November 2015, 13:45:09 »
I guess I am one of those newbies that is only in this to get my keycaps and then put them on my keyboards (oh, and solicit advice on how to find the best of both). I'm not a collector, I'm not into vintage keyboards, and I'm not into hacking anything. Just gimme my Honey and Cadet (and Dasher) and I'll be on my way.

Yes, of course, designers have every right to make their sets collectible if that is what they wish. But I think it bears pointing out, aggressively and repeatedly if necessary, that not everyone who buys keyboards and keycaps wants to be a collector.

One-run-only sets are great for collectors, but I kind of feel that approach is most suitable when the set has a very specialized theme, with very specialized novelties. Sets with very broad appeal (Granite, is a good example) are ideal candidates for multiple runs precisely because they will appeal to so many people. There may not be very many examples of general-appeal sets that were run only once, but if there are any designers considering it, I want to head them off at the pass and encourage them to reconsider.

Offline jdcarpe

• * Curator
« Reply #99 on: Mon, 16 November 2015, 13:51:12 »
One thing I think you fail to consider is, if the original run was limited in popularity, due to timing or whatever other reason, why would the organizer go to the trouble of releasing the set again? Surely he thinks that it will again fail to garner much interest, so what would be the point? Also, saying that something will be produced "one-time-only" during the group buy ordering phase is a marketing ploy to try and drum up more orders. If people think they can sit out the buy, and catch it the next time it comes around, there may be low order numbers for the original buy, and therefore higher prices due to the way pricing tiers are structured.

Hope this made sense.

in memoriam