Author Topic: Minimally invasive way to make translucent keycaps opaque?  (Read 2832 times)

Offline trenzterra

Minimally invasive way to make translucent keycaps opaque?
« on: Fri, 20 November 2015, 10:30:31 »
I recently bought the TTsport Poseidon Z to replace my (dead) Filco because I kinda liked the design and it was really cheap, but only to realise that the Poseidon Z's backlight is on by default. I know you can turn it off, but the setting doesn't stay upon a reboot.

The problem I have with the default backlight setting is that it's far too bright and it's really distracting for my eyes. I would be okay if it were to be much dimmer, so I was wondering what's the best way to make my translucent caps opaque?

Basically the letters on the Poseidon Z are translucent, so I just need something to cover it up. I tried using a Sharpie but the light still shines through. I've seen some ideas over here: https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=66567.0 but I was wondering if there was something more elegant (i.e. without needing to shove something below it that may affect the feel of the keycaps when you press it down). What I'm thinking of is something like a Sharpie but thick enough to absorb 90% of the light. Does such a paint exist?

I know I could probably use my Filco keycaps on the Poseidon Z, but the problem is that the modifier keys can't be replaced, and I'm a sucker for consistency...

Many thanks!

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
Re: Minimally invasive way to make translucent keycaps opaque?
« Reply #1 on: Fri, 20 November 2015, 15:41:27 »
I have never had a backlit keyboard, but could they be spray painted from behind?
"It's 110, but it doesn't feel it to me, right. If anybody goes down. Everybody was so worried yesterday about you and they never mentioned me. I'm up here sweating like a dog. They don’t think about me. This is hard work.
Do you feel the breeze? I don't want anybody going on me. We need every voter. I don't care about you. I just want your vote. I don't care."
- Donald Trump - Las Vegas 2024-06-09

Offline Hellcatz

« Reply #2 on: Fri, 20 November 2015, 15:57:04 »
It does affect the keys quite a bit. The extra weight didn't help it either on my super light springs. I would try metallic plastidip or spray paint and give the keys a light coat and try not to get it into the stem. Plastidip may be a better option if you dont want to mess up your caps

Offline absyrd

• CPT HYPE PADAWAN
« Reply #3 on: Fri, 20 November 2015, 16:23:57 »
You could try Krylon Fusion spray paint like others said...

But I would NOT spray it into the caps as you'll gum up the stems and get overspray on edges of caps.

Spray into the cap for the paint and then brush it on with one of those $.10 detail brushes.
My wife I a also push her button . But now she have her button push by a different men. So I buy a keyboard a mechanicale, she a reliable like a Fiat.

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #4 on: Fri, 20 November 2015, 17:07:32 »
I would NOT spray it into the caps as you'll gum up the stems

I assumed that it went without saying that when you spray paint something with a hole, you twist up a little tip of toilet paper to plug the hole, then pull it back out afterwards.
"It's 110, but it doesn't feel it to me, right. If anybody goes down. Everybody was so worried yesterday about you and they never mentioned me. I'm up here sweating like a dog. They don’t think about me. This is hard work.
Do you feel the breeze? I don't want anybody going on me. We need every voter. I don't care about you. I just want your vote. I don't care."
- Donald Trump - Las Vegas 2024-06-09

Offline jaffers

« Reply #5 on: Fri, 20 November 2015, 17:14:39 »
I wouldn't use spray paint, you'd stop the light completely. But I do know of glass frosting spray which will definitely make the cap opaque

Offline trenzterra

« Reply #6 on: Fri, 20 November 2015, 21:16:06 »
Thanks all for the suggestions.  However I was wondering if there was an alternative to using a spray? I'm not the most dexterous person  around and considering I don't have options for replacement caps I want something 'safer'. Are there any suitable paints that say, I can brush on?  I just need to cover the translucent lettering from beneath the cap.  Thanks!

P. S. I tried black tape but it's really hard to fit a small sticky piece where I want it to be, so I think a brush paint would be best? But it seems most paints come in a can...

Offline jaffers

« Reply #7 on: Fri, 20 November 2015, 21:42:32 »
Thanks all for the suggestions.  However I was wondering if there was an alternative to using a spray? I'm not the most dexterous person  around and considering I don't have options for replacement caps I want something 'safer'. Are there any suitable paints that say, I can brush on?  I just need to cover the translucent lettering from beneath the cap.  Thanks!

P. S. I tried black tape but it's really hard to fit a small sticky piece where I want it to be, so I think a brush paint would be best? But it seems most paints come in a can...

You can just spray the glass frosting onto a plate and use it with a paint brush i guess. There should be something similar that comes in a can, just go have a look at your local hardware store. Never hurts to get familiar with the place

Offline absyrd

• CPT HYPE PADAWAN
« Reply #8 on: Sat, 21 November 2015, 18:16:20 »

You can just spray the glass frosting onto a plate and use it with a paint brush i guess. There should be something similar that comes in a can, just go have a look at your local hardware store. Never hurts to get familiar with the place

Just do it fast. Spraypaints, especially quality ones, dry very quickly and get tacky fast. That is why I suggested spraying it into a pool in the cap for the can.
My wife I a also push her button . But now she have her button push by a different men. So I buy a keyboard a mechanicale, she a reliable like a Fiat.

Offline trenzterra

« Reply #9 on: Sun, 22 November 2015, 10:28:02 »
Done! In the end I decided to go with the aluminium tape method, less hassle, and it's malleable enough so that it doesn't make a difference to my keys. Took me about three hours to get the tape into every key.

The light is far less glaring now. Yay!

http://imgur.com/xGWfbzW

Offline Oobly

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #10 on: Sun, 22 November 2015, 14:33:53 »
I would have suggested buying some nice higher quality caps. While the bottom row is not standard in terms of keycap sizes, the spacebar is 7u and any set with a WinKeyLess kit option should fit.
Buying more keycaps,
it really hacks my wallet,
but I must have them.