Author Topic: Entering the Clack kingdom  (Read 3188 times)

Offline reallifetim

Entering the Clack kingdom
« on: Thu, 03 December 2015, 12:48:13 »
Hey guys new GH user here. I'm loving all the information on this forum and it feels like ages since I've joined a forum!

I am on /r/mechanicalkeyboards quite a bit lately under the same username.

So far my mech addiction started with a Posideon by TT with Gateron blues, my next purchase was a KBParadise V60 with Cherry Greens and my most recent purchase was an original Noppo Choc Mini with Cherry Reds.

I included an imgur album with some basic shots, sans my V60 as it is getting pulled apart and upgraded to a new case.
http://imgur.com/a/JnQ4y

I am also on the hunt for a complete set of Authentic Cherry keys, cheers guys!

Offline demik

• Pronounced "demique"
Re: Entering the Clack kingdom
« Reply #1 on: Thu, 03 December 2015, 13:22:57 »
Topre kingdom > ****rry
No, he’s not around. How that sound to ya? Jot it down.

Offline reallifetim

« Reply #2 on: Thu, 03 December 2015, 13:44:09 »
I really like stiff switches, Blues quickly became too soft. I'm loving Cherry Greens. Topre will probably be my next venture, any suggestions on a Topre KB?

Offline Halverson

• Traitor Supreme
  • GIRLSHARK WIZBRO
« Reply #3 on: Thu, 03 December 2015, 13:52:42 »
Topre kingdom > ****rry

hhkb FO LYFE

Offline dgneo

• Supervillain
  • * Curator
« Reply #4 on: Thu, 03 December 2015, 13:54:36 »
I really like stiff switches, Blues quickly became too soft. I'm loving Cherry Greens. Topre will probably be my next venture, any suggestions on a Topre KB?

HHKB, the be-all and end-all.

Praise be to Topre.

Offline reallifetim

« Reply #5 on: Thu, 03 December 2015, 14:24:49 »

Praise be to Topre.

Right on, I'm in the dark about Topre switches, do they have different classifications (colors) like Cherry or is it one switch?

Offline dgneo

• Supervillain
  • * Curator
« Reply #6 on: Thu, 03 December 2015, 14:50:43 »

Praise be to Topre.

Right on, I'm in the dark about Topre switches, do they have different classifications (colors) like Cherry or is it one switch?

Technically one switch, however you can get springs with different weights (35g, 45g, 55g IIRC).

The HHKB comes with 45g, and the only way to get higher is to swap them from a donor board (such as a Realforce 87U, another Topre board).

Offline reallifetim

« Reply #7 on: Thu, 03 December 2015, 15:08:43 »

Praise be to Topre.

Technically one switch, however you can get springs with different weights (35g, 45g, 55g IIRC).

The HHKB comes with 45g, and the only way to get higher is to swap them from a donor board (such as a Realforce 87U, another Topre board).

Show Image

So it looks like they are a lot lighter of a switch? The documentation I can find for Topre springs looks like their stiffest spring is around 55 cN, Cherry Greens are at about 80 cN.

Offline demik

• Pronounced "demique"
« Reply #8 on: Thu, 03 December 2015, 16:48:19 »
Praise thy church of HHKB.

Btw I like greens also. I love heavy clicky switches 

Not more than 55g topre tho.

Offline inanis

• Truly Literally The Cloud
  • * Destiny Supporter
    • SEALWoodworking
« Reply #9 on: Thu, 03 December 2015, 16:54:54 »
So it looks like they are a lot lighter of a switch? The documentation I can find for Topre springs looks like their stiffest spring is around 55 cN, Cherry Greens are at about 80 cN.
Topre isn't measured by the spring weight, it is the dome weight. 55g is the stiffest. I like strong switches too. Greens or heavy linears. However...the HHKB is the bestest. Gotta try it to understand. Topre is just different.

As previously said...praise be to Topre.
Some hearts are gallows, I'm not here for hangin' around

Offline reallifetim

« Reply #10 on: Thu, 03 December 2015, 17:04:35 »
Topre isn't measured by the spring weight, it is the dome weight. 55g is the stiffest. I like strong switches too. Greens or heavy linears. However...the HHKB is the bestest. Gotta try it to understand. Topre is just different.

I'm convinced, I was just trying to figure out the stiffest Topre setup. I guess I'll be on the hunt for a HHKB with 55g, thanks!

Offline demik

• Pronounced "demique"
« Reply #11 on: Thu, 03 December 2015, 17:10:11 »

I'm convinced, I was just trying to figure out the stiffest Topre setup. I guess I'll be on the hunt for a HHKB with 55g, thanks!

you're only getting 55g hhkb if it's been modded. hhkb only comes in 45g.

but if you want the best 55g, get an RF 87u. plate mounted 55g is godly.

Offline bcredbottle

« Reply #12 on: Thu, 03 December 2015, 18:06:07 »

HHKB's are OK. It's no Ergodox though. Typing on an Ergodox w/ Salmon Alps is an unparalleled experience.

Offline Waateva

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #13 on: Fri, 04 December 2015, 07:43:41 »
Greens are love, Greens are life.
Duck Blackbird - Gaterstotles /// O'Mira - V Blacks /// LZ GH v2 - V Clears /// Leopold FC980C /// TGR Jane CE v2 (unbuilt) /// Lin Dolphin 2021 (unbuilt)

Offline bocahgundul

• a seal
  • * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #14 on: Fri, 04 December 2015, 07:46:54 »
Love HHKB, you will.

Offline reallifetim

« Reply #15 on: Fri, 04 December 2015, 08:48:27 »
Greens are love, Greens are life.

I have a feeling I will love a HHKB but in the back of my mind I know you are right. Nothing comes close to the feel of greens with a nice DCS set  :thumb:

Offline bcredbottle

« Reply #16 on: Fri, 04 December 2015, 13:02:13 »

Offline dgneo

• Supervillain
  • * Curator

Offline bcredbottle

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #20 on: Sun, 06 December 2015, 03:41:56 »
Welcome to Geekhack!

Topre switches have a different feel to MX, a different force curve, and a different sound.

I like heavier switches too (clears, blacks, greens) but I love my HHKB even though it is "only" 45g.  Topre has more resistance up front, and thus feels a bit heavier than the very roughly equivalent MX switches, say browns.

If you can, go to a keyboard meetup (links usually posted in off topic) and see if anyone takes along an HHKB that you can try.
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ