Author Topic: Star Wars Force Awakens Discussion Thread (SPOILERS!!!)  (Read 15606 times)

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
Re: Star Wars Force Awakens Discussion Thread (SPOILERS!!!)
« Reply #150 on: Sun, 17 January 2016, 19:04:10 »
Finally saw this today with the family.

I could suspend credibility for a fair amount of it, but Rey just climbs into the long-neglected Millennium Falcon in the junkyard and just starts it up? Then flies it? Give me a ****ing break!

And "The Bad Guy" Ren is just a pathetic whining ****.

Otherwise, for a dead-on rehash of the original, it was pretty good.
Citizens United violates the essence of what made America a great country in its political system. Now it’s just an oligarchy, with unlimited political bribery being the essence of getting the nominations for president or to elect the president.
So now we’ve just seen a complete subversion of our political system as a payoff to major contributors, who want and expect and sometimes get favors for themselves after the election’s over.”
- Jimmy Carter 2015

Offline user 18

• * Senior Moderator
« Reply #151 on: Sun, 17 January 2016, 19:17:43 »

I actually really enjoyed this part of it. I saw Ren as someone who wants so incredibly badly to be evil, but at the end of the day, he's absolutely abysmal at it. Probably my favourite part of the film was how terrible a villain he was, and how well it worked within the film.
Please PM me if you are waiting on classifieds approval or have a question about the classifieds rules. | geekhack Terms of Service

Max Nighthawk x8 (MX Brown) | CM QFR (MX Blue) | CM QFR (MX Clear) | RK-9000 (MX Red) | Model M 1391401 | Model M SSK 1370475 | CM Novatouch | G80-8113 (MX Clear) | 60% (85g MX Blue) | Whitefox Aria (MX Clear) | CL-LX (MX Clear) | Mira SE (MX Clear)

Offline swimmingbird

• * Elevated Elder
  • keyset hoarder
« Reply #152 on: Mon, 18 January 2016, 02:06:37 »

I actually really enjoyed this part of it. I saw Ren as someone who wants so incredibly badly to be evil, but at the end of the day, he's absolutely abysmal at it. Probably my favourite part of the film was how terrible a villain he was, and how well it worked within the film.

Offline nubbinator

• Dabbler Supreme
  • * Maker
  • Model M "connoisseur"
« Reply #153 on: Mon, 18 January 2016, 02:33:19 »

Offline E TwentyNine

• Some of My Keyboards
« Reply #154 on: Mon, 18 January 2016, 09:41:19 »
Finally saw this today with the family.

I could suspend credibility for a fair amount of it, but Rey just climbs into the long-neglected Millennium Falcon in the junkyard and just starts it up? Then flies it? Give me a ****ing break!

Well, she did have piloting skills prior to that, but I felt short-changed that it wasn't Han and Chewie having a blast one more (and last) time.   The trailers gave me that feeling.   The story could have worked where Han and Chewie had found the ship and had been covertly repairing it for weeks, when she hits trouble, needs a ship, runs aboard the falcon, finds them working and says something along the lines of get this thing off the ground or we'll all dead.  They do the acrobatics then later fly it to Han's cargo ship.

So was Luke.  So was Anakin. 
Daily driver: SSK or Tenkeyless IBM AT
1984 Model M Industrial Prototype ⌨ 1992 Black Oval Industrial SSK ⌨ 1982 5251 Beam Spring ⌨ 89 Key "SSK" ⌨ M13 triplets

Offline vivalarevolución

• Keep it real b/c any other way is too stressful
« Reply #155 on: Mon, 18 January 2016, 10:48:47 »
My opinion also is influenced by the fact that the film I saw before this was "Ex-Machina", which is a more original science fiction film.

Did you notice that the two main actors from Ex-Machina were also in TFA?
I saw Oscar Isaacs name in the credits or something, and spent the whole movie looking for the guy from Ex-Machina - totally didn't recognize him as Poe Dameron.
And only just now figured out that General Ginger was the same actor as the young guy from Ex-Machina, Domhnall Gleeson.

Yea, I did notice that, but not until the credits.  Good year for those guys. Oscar Isaac has a good future ahead of him, seems capable of many different types of roles.

And just want the Revenant without realizing that Domhnall Gleeson plays a key in that film.  He does a great job of playing the "I look like the typical actor that Hollywood trots out when they need a blondish redheaded actor of Irish descent but I'm actually playing a wide variety of roles in every film you have watched from 2015 and you don't even know it."

Also didn't know he was a Weasley in the Harry Potter films.  I never watched those, just read the books.
« Last Edit: Mon, 18 January 2016, 10:55:21 by vivalarevolución »
Wish I had some gif or quote for this space, but I got nothing