Author Topic: No longer a lurker  (Read 1276 times)

Offline w00zie

No longer a lurker
« on: Wed, 23 December 2015, 10:09:09 »
Hello all,

My mechanical keyboard obsession at first started because I wanted to have a better keyboard for gaming… so I bought a refurbished K60 with Cherry MX reds for $50 off the corsair website about a year ago.

I was satisfied for months with this keyboard, but then I found out there were different switch types. I read about brown switches and they really peaked my interest, so when a full size FUNC keyboard with Cherry MX browns was posted on /r/buildapcsales, I jumped at the opportunity.

The brown switches were a bit disappointing to me. I thought there would be a more pronounced bump. I like to bottom out and do have bigger hands so maybe browns just aren’t for me. I liked the idea of a tactile switch though so I just recently bought a POK3R with Cherry MX clears. It’s exactly the kind of feel I wanted.

As of today, this obsession has spiraled completely out of control. I am currently in on the White Fox and the SNES keycaps and will definitely be in more GBs. I am really looking forward to the Yuri set in the IC section. Thanks for reading.

*The FUNC keyboard is now my work keyboard, so it is being put to good use  :D

Offline absyrd

• CPT HYPE PADAWAN
Re: No longer a lurker
« Reply #1 on: Wed, 23 December 2015, 10:11:14 »
Yeah. Browns only work for me PCB mount. Even then not in love.

Clears and ergo clears and Zealios all I can stand for MX atm.

Also, HHKB eventually. You know you want to.
My wife I a also push her button . But now she have her button push by a different men. So I buy a keyboard a mechanicale, she a reliable like a Fiat.

Offline FLFisherman

• * Elevated Elder
  • I'd rather be fishing.
« Reply #2 on: Wed, 23 December 2015, 10:12:14 »
Howdy and welcome!

I heard you out of ctrl?

Offline w00zie

« Reply #3 on: Wed, 23 December 2015, 10:42:13 »
Howdy and welcome!

I heard you out of ctrl?

Show Image

Lol this is great. I'm ready for all of the dad jokes.

Offline absyrd

• CPT HYPE PADAWAN
« Reply #4 on: Wed, 23 December 2015, 10:43:19 »
Oh ****... just looked... another Philly guy. Once I get my family health **** in order, we are really piling up on the peeps for a meet-up.
My wife I a also push her button . But now she have her button push by a different men. So I buy a keyboard a mechanicale, she a reliable like a Fiat.

Offline w00zie

« Reply #5 on: Wed, 23 December 2015, 11:02:47 »
Oh ****... just looked... another Philly guy. Once I get my family health **** in order, we are really piling up on the peeps for a meet-up.

Nice! I grew up in the Willow Grove area. Went to college at Pitt but otherwise I've been around Philly my whole life.

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #6 on: Mon, 28 December 2015, 04:05:29 »
Welcome to Geekhack!

There's a thread that might help with the addiction.  If you go back to it every now and again when you're tempted to buy something, it might help.

Some people swear by MX browns, but a lot say they are just gritty reds.  Clears do have a nice tactile bump, and enough resistance that even I don't bottom out all the time (just most of the time).
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ