Author Topic: CNC'd Keycaps  (Read 9915 times)

Offline Ramage

• * Maker
CNC'd Keycaps
« on: Tue, 29 December 2015, 15:30:29 »
122087-0
122089-1
I've been experimenting with CNC'ing keycaps on the machine I built. After a decent amount of fine tuning, I've finally made a few caps that I'm happy with so I can finally start using other materials. The beta testing caps were made using pine, I'll do a short walk through of the process for those interested. If you're interested in the machine I use, you can check out the partial build log https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=77195.msg1940972#msg1940972

This was the starting piece, it's pine wood.
122085-2

First the piece has to be "squared" so that the x and y axis can be picked back up any time even after flipping the stock over. It's also required so you can dimension the stock which is important when you generate the Gcode
122091-3
122093-4

Next you can run the part! The run time for these is long so I only ran 5.  It's also a lot easier to work with smaller stock and my machine is great, but it isn't industrial grade, so I have to be mindful of the tolerance run out. 
122095-5
122097-6
122099-7
122101-8

Now I flip the stock over and pick up my x and y again with an edge finder so that the top matches the bottom, then I run the topside. I had the vacuum attachment on for this part so I only took pictures of the start and finish
122103-9
122105-10

Here are the parts straight off the machine. I'm working on getting the machine to take the edge off for me, but it would require a square, sacrificial fixture other than the stock it came from so I haven't gotten to it yet. For reasons unknown to me, the machine decided to "rapid" into keycap #2. It wasn't in the simulation, and it wasn't in the Gcode, and it only happened once.  Really weird error. One cap is out.
122107-11

The remaining four after the edges are sanded down
122109-12

Unfortunately I over sanded two of them making the wall to thin but I learned exactly how much it takes to get them down to size so it was a good learning experience. Two more out.
122111-13

What a good, healthy cap looks like from the bottom.
122113-14

The two that were up to spec so far
122115-15

They come off the machine a little tall, I do that so I can sand them down to size after finishing the edges.
122117-16

Using a height gauge and a surface plate, I carefully sand the bottoms down to size in a figure eight pattern.
122119-17
122121-18
122123-19

Next I'm going to be using some more exotic woods and different materials and see how they turn out. I'm also gonna give engraving a shot to see how it comes out on the curved top.  Let me know if you have any interesting ideas you think I should try.

Hope you found it interesting!
« Last Edit: Tue, 29 December 2015, 15:33:32 by Ramage »

Offline Glenmael

Re: CNC'd Keycaps
« Reply #1 on: Tue, 29 December 2015, 15:38:17 »
These are gorgeous mate, very nice work.  :thumb:

You going to try a space bar?

Offline heedpantsnow

• * Esteemed Elder
  • Old enough to know better
« Reply #2 on: Tue, 29 December 2015, 15:53:43 »
Wow very cool!
I'm back.

Espresso machine overhaul: https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=78261.0

Carbon Fiber keyboard base: https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=54825

Offline Ramage

• * Maker
« Reply #3 on: Tue, 29 December 2015, 15:59:17 »

That's a really good idea! I'll have to start working on that, it would definitely be more challenging. Thanks!

Offline Steezus

• Keeper of Facts
  • * Elevated Elder
« Reply #4 on: Tue, 29 December 2015, 16:09:34 »
These caps look very well done, I've seen some wood caps made in the past but these seem of superb quality. I'd really be interested in a wooden spacebar as well and then perhaps trying different finishes and stains.
TGR-Jane CE | TGR-Tris CE | Lyn Montage | LZ PhysiX | Exclusive e8.5

Offline Glenmael

« Reply #5 on: Tue, 29 December 2015, 16:17:52 »

That's a really good idea! I'll have to start working on that, it would definitely be more challenging. Thanks!

No worries, will be looking out for your updates.

Offline Ramage

• * Maker
« Reply #6 on: Tue, 29 December 2015, 16:24:09 »
These caps look very well done, I've seen some wood caps made in the past but these seem of superb quality. I'd really be interested in a wooden spacebar as well and then perhaps trying different finishes and stains.

I appreciate the compliment! Staining and finishing is something I'm going to be testing out on the scrapped caps so we'll see how that goes. I tried one already and it came out ugly and orange.

Offline jdcarpe

• * Curator
  • Live long, and prosper.
« Reply #7 on: Tue, 29 December 2015, 16:25:36 »
I love this. Now you just need some laser engraved legends on there.
KMAC :: LZ-GH :: WASD CODE :: WASD v2 :: GH60 :: Alps64 :: JD45 :: IBM Model M :: IBM 4704 "Pingmaster"

http://jd40.info :: http://jd45.info

in memoriam

"When I was a kid, I used to take things apart and never put them back together."

Offline Steezus

• Keeper of Facts
  • * Elevated Elder
« Reply #8 on: Tue, 29 December 2015, 16:38:28 »

I appreciate the compliment! Staining and finishing is something I'm going to be testing out on the scrapped caps so we'll see how that goes. I tried one already and it came out ugly and orange.

Yeah staining and finishing will be a bit of trial and error. Eventually I would love to have a esc, spacebar, and possibly arrow key wood caps with a smooth finish on it like that of of the ear cups on my headphones below
TGR-Jane CE | TGR-Tris CE | Lyn Montage | LZ PhysiX | Exclusive e8.5

Offline Zekromtor

• My Setup
« Reply #9 on: Tue, 29 December 2015, 16:45:02 »
For reasons unknown to me, the machine decided to "rapid" into keycap #2. It wasn't in the simulation, and it wasn't in the Gcode, and it only happened once.  Really weird error. One cap is out.

It's the mach3 ghost, and it's hit all of us who have used it enough. Unpredictable stuff can go down under the best conditions due to electrical interference, but throw in some manual breaks during a run or the unthinkable - multitasking while it's running - and you're just asking for it. That's why I want to switch to LinuxCNC so badly. It's free. Just needs the superior hardware in order to interface. Just wait 'til your favorite endmill does a nose dive into the expensive chunk of aluminum you just spent hours laboring on :)

How's the fit to the stems?

Consider using engraving as a means to not just label but to texture the caps. That would be cool.

Offline tigersharkdude

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #10 on: Tue, 29 December 2015, 16:56:57 »
These are sweet. Would love to see a space bar done, possibly with engraved text

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #11 on: Tue, 29 December 2015, 17:06:24 »
Very well done!

I'm wondering how many install/remove cycles they will withstand as they are swapped from keyboard to keyboard.
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline Ramage

• * Maker
« Reply #12 on: Tue, 29 December 2015, 18:09:36 »
For reasons unknown to me, the machine decided to "rapid" into keycap #2. It wasn't in the simulation, and it wasn't in the Gcode, and it only happened once.  Really weird error. One cap is out.

It's the mach3 ghost, and it's hit all of us who have used it enough. Unpredictable stuff can go down under the best conditions due to electrical interference, but throw in some manual breaks during a run or the unthinkable - multitasking while it's running - and you're just asking for it. That's why I want to switch to LinuxCNC so badly. It's free. Just needs the superior hardware in order to interface. Just wait 'til your favorite endmill does a nose dive into the expensive chunk of aluminum you just spent hours laboring on :)

How's the fit to the stems?

Consider using engraving as a means to not just label but to texture the caps. That would be cool.

Well I'm glad I'm not the only one with these weird occurrences. It's definitely not the first time either so I'll work on being more careful. The stem fits are fantastic. I made a series of caps in one thousandth increments and used the one with the best fit as the model standard. There is no slop, it's just a slight press fit like you'd find on an OEM cap.

Offline Ramage

• * Maker
« Reply #13 on: Tue, 29 December 2015, 18:21:58 »
Very well done!

I'm wondering how many install/remove cycles they will withstand as they are swapped from keyboard to keyboard.

Ya I'm wondering the same thing. I'm planning on giving some WASD sets to a few heavy gamers to see what happens. 

Yeah staining and finishing will be a bit of trial and error. Eventually I would love to have a esc, spacebar, and possibly arrow key wood caps with a smooth finish on it like that of of the ear cups on my headphones below
Show Image

That fostex finish is something I could definitely get behind. I'll be doing some research this week.

Offline Zekromtor

• My Setup
« Reply #14 on: Tue, 29 December 2015, 20:22:21 »
Another thing I'd recommend if you're making your own caps is to really experiment with the shape. This was the shape I ended up with for my custom acrylics:

Took a little bit of getting used to, but it offers a little more tactile feedback about your fingers' vertical position. I'd also like to try a convex shape, but haven't gotten around to it.

Offline Ramage

• * Maker
« Reply #15 on: Sat, 02 January 2016, 02:01:01 »
Experimented with different grain directions, and applied a polyurethane coating although, they don't look quite as glossy IRL as the pictures make them appear.
And yes, they are drying inside of a broken keyboard case.
122602-0
122604-1
122606-2
122608-3
122610-4

Offline OfTheWild

• * Esteemed Elder
  • Make things. Have fun.
    • Studios of the Wild
« Reply #16 on: Sun, 03 January 2016, 21:57:27 »
This is pretty neat! Some exotic woods or bone/synthetic ivory or any number of odd combos might be fun too
-Dana

Offline Leslieann

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #17 on: Mon, 04 January 2016, 00:26:42 »
Looks great, you should consider doing some esc keys like that with some real nice wood like walnut or something, I'm sure a few of us would pay up for them. If you know someone with a laser they could laser the letters on before you mill them.

Also, if you do the cross before milling out the underside, you will have less risk of breaking the stem. As it is, you're doing detail work on a weak structure.
Novelkeys NK65AE w/62g Zilents/39g springs
More
62g Zilents/lubed/Novelkeys 39g springs, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, pic
| Filco MJ2 L.E. Vortex Case, Jailhouse Blues, heavily customized
More
Vortex case squared up/blasted finish removed/custom feet/paint/winkey blockoff plate, HID Liberator, stainless steel universal plate, 3d printed adapters, Type C, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, foam sound dampened, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps (o-ringed), Cherry Jailhouse Blues w/lubed/clipped Cherry light springs, 40g actuation
| GMMK TKL
More
w/ Kailh Purple Pros/lubed/Novelkeys 39g springs, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, Netdot Gen10 Magnetic cable
| PF65 3d printed 65% w/LCD and hot swap
More
Box Jades, Interchangeable trim, mini lcd, QMK, underglow, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, O-rings, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, in progress link
| Magicforce 68
More
MF68 pcb, Outemu Blues, in progress
| YMDK75 Jail Housed Gateron Blues
More
J-spacers, YMDK Thick PBT, O-rings, SIP sockets
| KBT Race S L.E.
More
Ergo Clears, custom WASD caps
| Das Pro
More
Costar model with browns
| GH60
More
Cherry Blacks, custom 3d printed case
| Logitech Illumininated | IBM Model M (x2)
Definitive Omron Guide. | 3d printed Keyboard FAQ/Discussion

Offline Zekromtor

• My Setup
« Reply #18 on: Mon, 04 January 2016, 00:41:27 »
Also, if you do the cross before milling out the underside, you will have less risk of breaking the stem. As it is, you're doing detail work on a weak structure.

That'd be an extra two tool changes though =/ I'd just consider any breakage during that phase a quality control - if it'll break from being milled, it wouldn't have been a strong stem anyways.

Offline Matt3o

• -[°_°]-
  • ** Robot Emeritus
« Reply #19 on: Mon, 04 January 2016, 02:38:51 »
related :)

Offline Ramage

• * Maker
« Reply #20 on: Mon, 04 January 2016, 02:59:40 »

That'd be an extra two tool changes though =/ I'd just consider any breakage during that phase a quality control - if it'll break from being milled, it wouldn't have been a strong stem anyways.

Ya that's what I'm thinking as well.  The stem cutting operation involves a really small DOC, I've yet to have a single stem break during that part of the run.

related :)

That's a fast feedrate! What machine is that?
« Last Edit: Mon, 04 January 2016, 03:01:41 by Ramage »

Offline Matt3o

• -[°_°]-
  • ** Robot Emeritus
« Reply #21 on: Mon, 04 January 2016, 03:10:07 »
it's a customized chinese cnc router with a hell of a rotor :)

Offline OfTheWild

• * Esteemed Elder
  • Make things. Have fun.
    • Studios of the Wild
« Reply #22 on: Mon, 04 January 2016, 12:02:24 »
I wonder if you could functionally mould the stem and post inside a wood CNC cap to create something stronger due to grain.
-Dana

Offline mrbishop

• * Maker
  • Evil Genius
    • Bishop Computer Design web
« Reply #23 on: Fri, 08 January 2016, 08:50:45 »
very nice. what software are you using? mill? details xD
i have an x-carve ive upgraded. running UGS for gcode and fustion 360 for cad/cam
Projects
Build to give back, 40% | Alps/Matias Removal ToolUltraHack 67% Hackdura  | ErgoDox case

Offline Ramage

• * Maker
« Reply #24 on: Fri, 08 January 2016, 18:49:12 »
very nice. what software are you using? mill? details xD
i have an x-carve ive upgraded. running UGS for gcode and fustion 360 for cad/cam

I use HSMworks to make the G code, and Mach3 for the CNC software.  The Gcode generator inside of fusion 360 is nearly identical to HSMworks since they're both owned by Autodesk.  I have a link to the build thread in the OP for the CNC machine.  The ballscrews, bearings, and electronics were bought online and everything else was made from raw aluminum stock and assembled together over about a 5 month span. The spindle is a 2.2KW water cooled spindle I got off ebay. 

Offline popkorn62

• No keyboards for old men
    • Mekibo
« Reply #25 on: Sun, 10 January 2016, 05:23:53 »
wow very very nice work
==============
https://mekibo.com/