Author Topic: Talk me into more DSA sets, now it is DSA madness!  (Read 8564 times)

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Björkö.
Talk me into more DSA sets, now it is DSA madness!
« on: Wed, 06 January 2016, 16:55:57 »
I know there are tents of threads on DSA and other key caps profiles, but today with the upcoming X round of Granite's I wonder why I should get back to DSA for more novelty like legends in the new sets that Matt designed, I hardly can resist them. In one hand, I admire the new proposed legends and my collector's nature talks me into give DSA another try; but, my practical user's nature says: what do you have to try again something you have already found not as good to type on as OG Cherry, for example.

What is your case? are you buying just to get a great new key caps - legends design? or are you going to let it to pass?
« Last Edit: Thu, 14 January 2016, 07:45:14 by ideus »

Offline cryptokey

• * Destiny Supporter
  • [°°▄°] luser-friendly
Re: Talk me into more DSA sets, a 2016 updated thread.
« Reply #1 on: Wed, 06 January 2016, 17:11:12 »
I personally really enjoy DSA so I will partially be getting the set since it is good looking and it's the last round of granite and partially because I will actually use it.  Mind you, the first time I used DSA, I hated it but with use (and acquired homing keys), I have learned to love it.
More

[WTB] HHKB Black

Offline raymogi

« Reply #2 on: Wed, 06 January 2016, 17:14:10 »
I like to give DSA another go every now and then. Enjoyed using my Granite set a lot on vintage blacks and next thing I know is I have the OTD WYSE set making its way to my mailbox.

With that said, I'll be getting some Granite kits that eluded me in the past, particularly the 660 and text pro mods.
Please feed my addiction.

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Björkö.
« Reply #3 on: Wed, 06 January 2016, 20:55:10 »
I personally really enjoy DSA so I will partially be getting the set since it is good looking and it's the last round of granite and partially because I will actually use it.  Mind you, the first time I used DSA, I hated it but with use (and acquired homing keys), I have learned to love it.

I really enjoyed it when I still had the two sets I bought originally, however I always prefer my boards dressed with Cherry profiles.

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Björkö.
« Reply #4 on: Wed, 06 January 2016, 20:55:52 »
I like to give DSA another go every now and then. Enjoyed using my Granite set a lot on vintage blacks and next thing I know is I have the OTD WYSE set making its way to my mailbox.

With that said, I'll be getting some Granite kits that eluded me in the past, particularly the 660 and text pro mods.

How vintage blacks go that well with Granite?

Offline raymogi

« Reply #5 on: Wed, 06 January 2016, 20:59:42 »

How vintage blacks go that well with Granite?
No idea. I tried dsa before on other switch and it feels like **** which leads to me hating on dsa right away.

Then I got a Duck Eagle with vintage black, gave it another go, and surprisingly it feels nice. Maybe it's all in the mind? Who knows.

Offline nmur

• ಠ_ಠ
« Reply #6 on: Wed, 06 January 2016, 21:05:38 »
DSA sets look great, can fit a huge variety of different layouts (no rows), and it seems like new designs are relatively easier to get from paper to production, but they just don't feel as good as Cherry profile, which is what I keep on coming back to.

DSA sets are very present and attractive now, but that doesn't mean you should feel like you should like them.

Offline Steezus

• Keeper of Facts
  • * Elevated Elder
« Reply #7 on: Wed, 06 January 2016, 23:20:35 »
I personally like DSA because it goes well with odd layouts like the 75%, 96%, etc. It's also nice on smaller boards making it seem more compact, definitely not my first choice in terms of profile but I don't mind typing on them. I've only ever used them with vintage blues w/62g springs, the sound is actually quite nice imo.
TGR-Jane CE | TGR-Tris CE | Lyn Montage | LZ PhysiX | Exclusive e8.5

Offline nubbinator

• Dabbler Supreme
  • * Maker
  • Model M "connoisseur"
« Reply #8 on: Wed, 06 January 2016, 23:46:19 »
DSA is the best profile to catch spilled drinks and food stuffs.  Why waste the majority of perfectly good food and drink when you spill it to the gap between your keys?  DSA just makes sense.

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #9 on: Thu, 07 January 2016, 01:32:03 »
I like the idea of DSA, but didn't really like typing on them when I finally got a set (OG Granite).

I was on the fence about DSA Dolch (the original GB), and decided not to bother.  Twice.  Fortunately.

Although tempted, I have found that I definitely prefer Cherry profile.
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline lolpes

« Reply #10 on: Thu, 07 January 2016, 04:38:39 »
Wrote my whole master's thesis using the galaxy class caps, and it was glorious! So yeah, my argument for you ;)

Offline 1deeg

« Reply #11 on: Thu, 07 January 2016, 04:39:14 »
I got pretty familiar with DSA before I even tried SA. DSA was strange at first but I learned to like it. But as I keep using SA, I find myself disliking DSA more and more. The high-profile sculpture is just too good. ^-^ Such a shame, so many great-looking sets in DSA. Dolch with splashes of red is probably my favorite thing to look at. :p Now I'm debating selling my DSA stuff, but Granite is coming up soon.. So I have no idea what I'm doing. Same boat as OP.

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Björkö.
« Reply #12 on: Thu, 07 January 2016, 07:31:32 »
A very impressive rhetoric on the use and misuse of an arcane profile; that was originally intended for commercial and industrial applications, an oversimplification of a proper keyboard profile under the need of populating weird industrial key pads and POS never designed for typewriting but for specific data input, using only few keys.

This DSA set has gone already.

« Last Edit: Thu, 07 January 2016, 07:57:46 by ideus »

Offline zslane

« Reply #13 on: Thu, 07 January 2016, 12:39:39 »
I got pretty familiar with DSA before I even tried SA. DSA was strange at first but I learned to like it. But as I keep using SA, I find myself disliking DSA more and more. The high-profile sculpture is just too good. ^-^ Such a shame, so many great-looking sets in DSA. Dolch with splashes of red is probably my favorite thing to look at. :p Now I'm debating selling my DSA stuff, but Granite is coming up soon.. So I have no idea what I'm doing. Same boat as OP.

I love Dolch DSA. In fact, I'm typing on a set right now. However, I would love to see Dolch SA come out someday since I like SA a little more than DSA.

Offline meow a cat

• Resistance is futile.
« Reply #14 on: Thu, 07 January 2016, 14:40:55 »
I don't like DSA, but I still really want the Sindarin Granite set.. but I know I'd probably never use it. I'd rather see more DCS sets come out vs DSA.

Boards:
Silver 84-key KMAC LE, 62g lubed & stickered ergo-clears, GON NerD PCB, polycarbonate plate,MX lock/Phosphorglow IBM Model M SSK 1391472/White HHKB Pro 2, Hasu controller/WKL Phantom, 50g vintage blacks, MX lock
Leeku G80-1800 (build in progress)

Offline DAVYtm

• #dateless
« Reply #15 on: Thu, 07 January 2016, 15:27:20 »

I love Dolch DSA. In fact, I'm typing on a set right now. However, I would love to see Dolch SA come out someday since I like SA a little more than DSA.

I'd really like a uniform R3 SA Dolch set. The headache of using a 75% is real non-uniform profiles.

Offline 1deeg

« Reply #16 on: Thu, 07 January 2016, 17:22:01 »

I've had the same thought, but I'm not sure if the idea of SA Dolch would really excite the community. What could be done to make it more interesting? Dolch is already available in so many different ways.

I'd really like a uniform R3 SA Dolch set. The headache of using a 75% is real non-uniform profiles.

There's an idea!  :thumb:

Offline Solo

• Unreal
« Reply #17 on: Thu, 07 January 2016, 18:07:55 »
I'm a fan of symmetry but not necessarily uniformity. DSA/SA has never been my thing.

Offline zslane

« Reply #18 on: Fri, 08 January 2016, 13:54:40 »

I've had the same thought, but I'm not sure if the idea of SA Dolch would really excite the community. What could be done to make it more interesting? Dolch is already available in so many different ways.

There is no Dolch out there in a fully sculptured, high-profile, spherical format. That's the whole point of the SA family, after all. That alone makes it "more interesting" to me.

Offline DAVYtm

• #dateless
« Reply #19 on: Fri, 08 January 2016, 18:06:59 »

There is no Dolch out there in a fully sculptured, high-profile, spherical format. That's the whole point of the SA family, after all. That alone makes it "more interesting" to me.

Certainly no harm in variety for colorways in different profiles, but there are some great SA sets in IC that I think are unique.

Back on topic though, DSA is going to be like anything else in mechs - personal preference. If you prefer OG Cherry, I'd say stick with it. Granite is definitely a sexy set and I'll be getting it myself, but if you've tried the profile and can't find any liking towards it then I would just pass. There are always new and cool sets coming out in every profile, so I'd wait for something in a profile you love unless you're dying for a new keyset!

Offline swimmingbird

• * Elevated Elder
  • keyset hoarder
« Reply #20 on: Sun, 10 January 2016, 19:08:38 »
I've never actually used DSA

Probably going to get in on Granite just to try it out

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Björkö.
« Reply #21 on: Sun, 10 January 2016, 19:54:19 »
@Davy, Thank you for the back on topic motion.
@Bird, It is good to know that you are going to give DSA a try.

Offline swimmingbird

• * Elevated Elder
  • keyset hoarder
« Reply #22 on: Mon, 11 January 2016, 16:26:59 »

Too bad it's got a ****e resale value if I don't like it lol

Offline Melvang

• Exquisite Lord of Bumfluff
  • * Maker
  • Melvang's Desktop Customs
« Reply #23 on: Mon, 11 January 2016, 17:57:54 »
If you need a reason to get in on DSA, I am planning on developing my own custom keyboard that will allow a similar key profile to Cherry/DCS while using uniform profile caps.  It will also support (not hot swappable) modular layout changes.
OG Kishsaver, Razer Orbweaver clears and reds with blue LEDs, and Razer Naga Epic.   "Great minds crawl in the same sewer"  Uncle Rich

Offline jerue

• (Whenever that happens :P)
  • * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #24 on: Mon, 11 January 2016, 18:22:10 »

Too bad it's got a ****e resale value if I don't like it lol

wait a couple of months after R4 for people to start complaining they missed the run...then have fun

To me, I like it and believe it performs best on lighter switches, and I like it on low-profile/angle keyboards. Super heavy stuff, not so much. DSA PBT is nice overall though.

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Björkö.
« Reply #25 on: Mon, 11 January 2016, 18:29:53 »
If you need a reason to get in on DSA, I am planning on developing my own custom keyboard that will allow a similar key profile to Cherry/DCS while using uniform profile caps.  It will also support (not hot swappable) modular layout changes.

This sounds like a big teaser or hype building statement, any further details?

Offline Melvang

• Exquisite Lord of Bumfluff
  • * Maker
  • Melvang's Desktop Customs
« Reply #26 on: Mon, 11 January 2016, 20:30:09 »

Just resurrecting an older idea.
OG Kishsaver, Razer Orbweaver clears and reds with blue LEDs, and Razer Naga Epic.   "Great minds crawl in the same sewer"  Uncle Rich

Offline raymogi

« Reply #27 on: Mon, 11 January 2016, 20:32:50 »
Ok so I just got back and slapped on OTD WYSE on my Eagle to give it another go.

I actually prefer it in this board compared to my GMK sets. I got used to the typing feel and it *somehow* looks really nice on this board. Last night I tried putting on Hyperfuse halfway and immediately took it off.

Offline zslane

« Reply #28 on: Mon, 11 January 2016, 20:54:21 »
The best thing about DSA is that it is spherical. There is nothing special about medium-profile, and nothing especially appealing about uniform R3. But the spherical tops are what make it special. That, and the fact that it is the only family Granite comes in.

Offline Dernubenfrieken

« Reply #29 on: Tue, 12 January 2016, 06:08:39 »

Just resurrecting an older idea.

I'm assuming its something along the line of adjustable rows, to be able to create a "curved" backplate? I've thought about the same thing, would also allow you to use R3 SA sets as sculpted.

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Björkö.
« Reply #30 on: Tue, 12 January 2016, 07:36:25 »
Guess how many sets the Granite drop will get at the end.

Offline FLFisherman

• * Elevated Elder
  • I'd rather be fishing.
« Reply #31 on: Tue, 12 January 2016, 07:37:31 »

I will guess 956. You?

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Björkö.
« Reply #32 on: Tue, 12 January 2016, 07:39:34 »

I will guess 956. You?

I'd say over 1.5k, the main reason is that many would buy sub-sets with no main basic sets; therefore, each sub-set order will count as one adding a bunch to those that are actually buying a full set.

Offline Brammm87

« Reply #33 on: Tue, 12 January 2016, 07:51:07 »
I'd say over 1.5k, the main reason is that many would buy sub-sets with no main basic sets; therefore, each sub-set order will count as one adding a bunch to those that are actually buying a full set.

If that's the case, my order alone counts for 12 :p
pls gief bbv2

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Björkö.
« Reply #34 on: Tue, 12 January 2016, 17:02:21 »

Now the count is over 2k already, wow.

Offline Steezus

• Keeper of Facts
  • * Elevated Elder
« Reply #35 on: Tue, 12 January 2016, 17:13:23 »

They definitely count each individual child deal as an order, during round 3 it got up to 3k or so.
TGR-Jane CE | TGR-Tris CE | Lyn Montage | LZ PhysiX | Exclusive e8.5

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Björkö.
« Reply #36 on: Tue, 12 January 2016, 17:17:30 »

They definitely count each individual child deal as an order, during round 3 it got up to 3k or so.

Even space bars sums up on that figure, thus, it would not be a surprise to have thousands of orders.

Offline zslane

« Reply #37 on: Tue, 12 January 2016, 17:51:21 »
I wonder what percentage of round four buyers are repeat buyers who already have Granite kits from previous runs, and what percentage are new buyers who have never owned any Granite before.

Offline cryptokey

• * Destiny Supporter
  • [°°▄°] luser-friendly
« Reply #38 on: Tue, 12 January 2016, 17:52:41 »

Do you know if round 3 had a price drop after 3k?
« Last Edit: Tue, 12 January 2016, 18:38:03 by cryptokey »
More

[WTB] HHKB Black

Offline katushkin

• Too Keycool for School
  • * Elevated Elder
  • Just the guy
« Reply #39 on: Tue, 12 January 2016, 18:13:07 »
I'm honestly amazed there is going to be another round of Granite. It's a cool set and all, but are there really people in the keyboard community who still don't own this set or have never owned one? This is what, round four? And there were like 5k orders in round three or something insane.

I wasn't a huge fan of DSA, I much preferred SA, but even that is starting to get a bit old now... I'm going Cherry all the way from now on.
Can we get them to build the Alps ten feet higher and get Cherry to pay for it?
Katushkin's Clearout | Twitter | Steam | Instagram| Discord - katushkin

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Björkö.
« Reply #40 on: Tue, 12 January 2016, 18:31:24 »
I'm honestly amazed there is going to be another round of Granite. It's a cool set and all, but are there really people in the keyboard community who still don't own this set or have never owned one? This is what, round four? And there were like 5k orders in round three or something insane.

I wasn't a huge fan of DSA, I much preferred SA, but even that is starting to get a bit old now... I'm going Cherry all the way from now on.

I had two full sets of Granites with a bunch of left overs and I sold them last year, I had never used the set for more than a few weeks because the warped ends on long keys always bothered me enough to take the kit off my boards. The PBT thing appears to attract ardent followers at MD in particular; but, that material along with the rough finish of SP molds left the caps with the perfect dirt magnet surface, I did not like the way these caps retain dust, grease and dirt, either. In any case I am considering to get a set just as a souvenir; but, I am not sure if paying over sixty dollars for a TKL set worth the money just to keep it in stock.

Offline zslane

« Reply #41 on: Tue, 12 January 2016, 19:38:37 »
At this point Granite isn't a set so much as a motif. It has such broad appeal that it inspires all kinds of follow-on kits like Sindarin. Look how many folks lament not getting in on the Cyrillic set when it was originally offered. Just the fact that alternate language sets look so good in the Granite style means you could probably come up with a new language kit every year and find interested buyers every time.

I suspect that the vast majority of round four buyers are existing Granite owners who are merely supplementing their sets with new kits (or kits they skipped/missed out on before). The list of brand new buyers is probably tiny compared to the list of return buyers.

Offline Brammm87

« Reply #42 on: Wed, 13 January 2016, 00:25:48 »

I'm new to the scene as well and see, especially on Reddit, a lot of comments from newbies as well. Judging by the number of sales, it's pretty obvious there's still plenty of interest.
pls gief bbv2

Offline skuko

« Reply #43 on: Wed, 13 January 2016, 00:38:10 »
as owner of the original granite set (R1), i wish SP would make a DCS profile version, the colorway would sell like hot cakes. over time, found out i kinda dislike DSA. owned a lot of sets, but sold all of them except for granite and macross, kept those for sentimental value :)

Offline nathanrosspowell

• * Destiny Supporter
    • nathanrosspowell.com
« Reply #44 on: Wed, 13 January 2016, 00:42:31 »
My DSA caps have retired to my infrequently used 40% keyboards. I find them very visually appealing, but average to type on.
as owner of the original granite set (R1), i wish SP would make a DCS profile version, the colorway would sell like hot cakes. over time, found out i kinda dislike DSA. owned a lot of sets, but sold all of them except for granite and macross, kept those for sentimental value :)
Yea, I'd like to see them make that move but it's probably something they wouldn't do without Matt3os blessing and I think he'd prefer to put out new color ways.

Offline building_an_ergo

« Reply #45 on: Wed, 13 January 2016, 01:29:47 »
I have a DSA set on my Ergodox.

I love it, maybe it fits ortholinear layouts better or something, but it is one of the greatest feelings I have had typing.

I ordered another set for my recently assembled Compact SQ.  I am looking forward to trying out DSA on a normal layout when it finally arrives.

Offline keshley

• Blog n stuff
« Reply #46 on: Wed, 13 January 2016, 08:14:09 »
Granite is gorgeous.

I will not buy another DSA set. I like just about every other profile more.

HHKB Pro 2       Pok3r

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Björkö.
« Reply #47 on: Wed, 13 January 2016, 08:29:35 »
Granite is gorgeous.

I will not buy another DSA set. I like just about every other profile more.

The design is great; but, the quality control at the manufacturing process sucks, the keys warp due to the temperature required for dye sublimation, because the walls of the caps are too thin to keep them straight, therefore, if you do not mind warped borders and irregular gaps between your keys, yeah they are great.

Offline wockytocky

« Reply #48 on: Wed, 13 January 2016, 16:01:29 »
I think the only real advantage to DSA is the ability to easily switch to altertate layouts like dvorak and colemak. Other than that, it's not a huge deal

Offline zslane

« Reply #49 on: Wed, 13 January 2016, 18:09:11 »
My DSA caps have retired to my infrequently used 40% keyboards. I find them very visually appealing, but average to type on.
Yea, I'd like to see them make that move but it's probably something they wouldn't do without Matt3os blessing and I think he'd prefer to put out new color ways.

The tricky thing about DSC is that there is no flat row profile like DSA's row 3. Suddenly Granite would need to be rearranged to fit a sculptured profile. A lot of Granite's vaunted layout flexibility vanishes, along with a great deal of its broad appeal.